Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,808 members, 7,827,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths (10239 Views)

We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths / Middle Belt Youths, Cleric Declare Support For Jonathan’s Re-election / Foreigners Own 80% Of Oil Blocks Not Northerners - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Chyz2: 3:31am On Dec 09, 2011
[size=15pt]We’re not northerners- Middle-Belt youths[/size]

On December 9, 2011 · In News

By Dapo Akinrefon & Charles Kumolu

United Middle-Belt Youth Congress, UMYC, has demanded a separate identity for the people of the region to differentiate them from the Hausa-Fulani and Kanuri peoples of the far North.

Leading a delegation of executive officers of the congress on a courtesy call to Vanguard’s corporate office in Lagos, the group’s President, Mr. Abuka Onalo, said the people of the Middle-Belt were now remorseful of their roles in past actions of spearhea-ding Northern interests that did not benefit their people.

He particularly regretted the role of the Middle-Belt in the Nigerian civil war, saying the people of the region would not repeat the mistake.

He said: “We want the Middle-Belt people to be recognised and be referred to as Middle-Belt region. We want to be part of a new Nigeria where the Middle-Belt will be a federating unit.

“We likened our argument to the issue of true federalism. Since the South-South has been officially re-grouped as the Niger Delta region, we from the Middle-Belt should be grouped as the Middle-Belt region.

“We have never been subdued. We contributed in establishing the Federal Republic of Nigeria; we know what we suffered after the Civil War. There should be no reason why the nation cannot give us our own identity.”

In canvassing for identity, we are careful so that we do not destabilise what we helped in creating.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/were-not-northerners-middle-belt-youths/
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Chyz2: 4:06am On Dec 09, 2011
Eh-heh! Now you know where you are. Ever since the death of The Ikemba I've noticed that there has been a lot of sorrow coming from the SW,SS, and now MB in relation to his death. It's like he gave them some sort of hope. Now that the Ikemba is gone una dey fear. You see? Good. Now you know.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Onlytruth(m): 4:14am On Dec 09, 2011
Chyz*:

Eh-heh! Now you know where you are. Ever since the death of The Ikemba I've noticed that there has been a lot of sorrow coming from the SW,SS, and now MB in relation to his death. [/b]It's like he gave them some sort of hope. Now that the Ikemba is gone [b]una dey fear. You see? Good. Now you know.

I noticed the same thing too. But I think it is not really fear. I think it is REMORSE. It is not overt, but very much there.
Truth is a very powerful thing.
Igbo say that truth is indomitable. If you cover it up in a container, it will escape like smoke. If you bury it under the ground, it will germinate like a plant. cool

It is all good though.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by ak47mann(m): 5:28am On Dec 09, 2011
cool cool ikemba your spirit is very strong GOD bless ur soul cool cool cool
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by alex101(m): 5:32am On Dec 09, 2011
Eziokwu! I refuse to believe these animals as I will not make the mistake of past Igbo leaders. There still one north as far as I'm concerned
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by 9javoice1(m): 5:34am On Dec 09, 2011
they better speakup now (from their leaders) or forever keep shut.
or the youths move to the street and do demostrate it peacfuly
rather than making noise in a room.

as for Ojukwu everybody starting from localy to internationaly
knows he is very very right and that UN failed in their duty.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Ogbonaikenna(m): 5:35am On Dec 09, 2011
I notice the same too, nemesis is at work here
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by tpia5: 5:35am On Dec 09, 2011
Since the South-South has been officially re-grouped as the Niger Delta region, we from the Middle-Belt should be grouped as the Middle-Belt region.

there seems to be quite a lot of affinity between the south south and the middle belt region.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Torch1(m): 7:19am On Dec 09, 2011
Hmmm! Did they really want Middle Belt as a region?? I wish Emmke is here to answer me this question, R.I.P Ikemba.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by okosodo: 7:29am On Dec 09, 2011
This is just d beginning, lets see how this unfolds. OJUKWU was really a great man. CONFIRMED
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Abagworo(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2011
The wickedness of these people knows no bounds just like their fellow Northerners. They were chiefly responsible for the massacre of Igbos prior to and during the civil war. Gowon,David Mark,Abdulsalami and IBB are from there. They are Northerners.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by homerac7: 8:16am On Dec 09, 2011
Shuo! Now now? Allegiance don shift b dat? Hehehe, shiit don happen, everybody don dey bear him papa name. lol.

No wonder, failure has friend but success has many. It's a final slap on face of norther oligarchy. Current and immediate future political realities is fast realigning d federation tribal groups along line of natural conveniences.

As a southerner, I'm happy for ds awakening. As southeasterner, happier that they realized their folly in taking sides against their brothers by common ancestry and heritage. As a modern Nigerian, most happy dt d farce d present institution was built upon is crumbling right on top of agents of lies dt prop it up by refusing a SNC and reform to full federalism.

I see d Nigerian nation coming out better for It. I don't think any of d unit will/should break away, rather a more realistic and sustainable renegotiated federal state.

Enter Renaissance Nigeria.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by namfav(m): 9:20am On Dec 09, 2011
1. is it the first time that the youths in the middle belt have disassociated themselves from the north?
2. is it the first time that opc has protested?

ak47mann:

cool cool ikemba your spirit is very strong GOD bless your soul cool cool cool
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by YesBoss1(m): 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2011
alex101 your comments seem dumb and reflects your level of ignorance.The middlebelt is made up of hundreds of minority tribes,half of them are christians.Most of the muslims are peace loving people,I know this cos I've lived in both Kwara and Kogi States all my life.We know how the core north has cheated us for decades,we know our position in Nigeria and like other regions we are simply dissociating ourselves from the hausa/fulani people who believe Nigeria belongs to them.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by WilyWily4: 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2011
I see nothing wrong if Hausa/Fulanis are killing Middle Belters, these bunch of block head Brukutu drinkers are stealing their Cows, don't u know that one Cow = 100 heads of Middle Belters
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by dempeople(m): 12:40pm On Dec 09, 2011
Chyz*:

[size=15pt]We’re not northerners- Middle-Belt youths[/size]

On December 9, 2011 · In News

By Dapo Akinrefon & Charles Kumolu

United Middle-Belt Youth Congress, UMYC, has demanded a separate identity for the people of the region to differentiate them from the Hausa-Fulani and Kanuri peoples of the far North.

Leading a delegation of executive officers of the congress on a courtesy call to Vanguard’s corporate office in Lagos, the group’s President, Mr. Abuka Onalo, said the people of the Middle-Belt were now remorseful of their roles in past actions of spearhea-ding Northern interests that did not benefit their people.

He particularly regretted the role of the Middle-Belt in the Nigerian civil war, saying the people of the region would not repeat the mistake.

He said: “We want the Middle-Belt people to be recognised and be referred to as Middle-Belt region. We want to be part of a new Nigeria where the Middle-Belt will be a federating unit.

“We likened our argument to the issue of true federalism. Since the South-South has been officially re-grouped as the Niger Delta region, we from the Middle-Belt should be grouped as the Middle-Belt region.

“We have never been subdued. We contributed in establishing the Federal Republic of Nigeria; we know what we suffered after the Civil War. There should be no reason why the nation cannot give us our own identity.”

In canvassing for identity, we are careful so that we do not destabilise what we helped in creating.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/were-not-northerners-middle-belt-youths/

This is encouraging but short of what I'd fully expect from people whose elders formed the bulk of soldiers and head of state directly responsible for a genocide.

I'd expect a fully remorseful apology from them in other to know where we stand. Only then will I begin to take them seriously. This apology should be detailed.

Mind you,  I don't think this UMYC of an organization is significant and does not carry weight within the middle belt. No?

Its just that sometimes, I get so angry that I feel we've got to avenge the death of our loved ones at the hands of these imbeciles. But I pray that one day, it shall come.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by obowunmi(m): 12:42pm On Dec 09, 2011
Bloody hell, We are ONE nigeria. Who cares what you are.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Revolva(m): 1:51pm On Dec 09, 2011
Eziokwu! I refuse to believe these animals as I will not make the mistake of past Igbo leaders. There still one north as far as I'm concerned

COME MR MAN IF YOU THINK YOU CAN INSULT ANY BODY, JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE AN IGBO, DO YOU THINK YOU ARE SO SPECIAL,

If you ue your correct sense, you will observe that the idoma tribe and tiv in benue and igala in kogi and southwards river niger have common origin with themselves, relating to igbos, why is there a thuin line of border with south Kogi and Anambra and south Benu and Nsukka area ,.have you ever noticed, its just because of loation of settlement that made them put those region in North and tis is due to the British,

Logically Yes Middlebeltans and not even related to Northerners by origin or any how, they have their own languages, and culture, not what you hear that every body from ogi and benue state upwards are Northerners, Lie,
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Reference(m): 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2011
tpia@:

there seems to be quite a lot of affinity between the south south and the middle belt region.

They are the two most powerful and influential minority blocks. They represent where we are coming from and perhaps where we will end up. It is still early days in middle-belt reorientation. There were noticable absentees from the last Northern congress so the block is yielding but the likes of Gowon were there.  A day will come when they will call for a meeting and only him will represent the middle-belt then they will promptly render him persona-non-grata. The wheels are turning. Let the north continue to send its ambassadors of death - fulani herdsmen - rampaging through the country. They are only uniting the south and creating an ever larger power block from it.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by kizito96(m): 2:33pm On Dec 09, 2011
You people remembered this too late after they have used your tribe and dumped. They used the middle belt to prosecute the civil war, used the middle belt during elections, used the middle belt during the revenue derivation formular, used the middle during the fight for quota system. More soldiers of middle belt died during the war than any other tribe. It was the middle belt that fought the war with biafra. Too Late
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by emmke(m): 2:38pm On Dec 09, 2011
@Torch1 i've always been a staunch advocate of middle belt as a region. So YES, WE WANT MIDDLE BELT AS A REGION. @ topic, nice to see my fellow middle belt youths reason along this line. I'd only say the future of our region is bright.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 09, 2011
The middle belt shall rise to its true potential when lap dogs like Yahubu Gowon get out of the scene.

The man does my head in.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by manosteel(m): 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2011
Haba Middle-belt Youth, one Nigeria fa! Even though you are being killed in Jos and In Benue by your brothers from far North, never worry, for Nigeria to stand as one united undivided nation, we have to pay sacrifices, and I think this is just one of them. Abi una just wan wake up from sleep, in that case may i say Goodmorning.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Sagamite(m): 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2011
I have never recognised people from Southern Kaduna, Plateau and Benue as Northerners.

Niger, Taraba and Adamawa I have not been too sure. Maybe!

Kogi is obviously not a Northern state.

Kwara, definitely not. That is a Yoruba state.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Afam4eva(m): 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2011
It's only when people have been used and dumped that they'll stat regretting their past actions. We accept their apology, but we're aint gonna trust them no more.
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2011
To be frank, i did nt know that middle belt is of different group from those aboki's i use to see at my street but im beginning to get convince now!
If actually they are among those that spearheaded the genocide whats different betwn them and hausas undecided

or are they saying these because the hausas/fulani are now killing them
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2011
I like the Fedralism they stand for! shows everybody in Nigeria is coming to their senses
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 09, 2011
comments i got from the link
None is deceived. One, there was really no need to make reference to the ill fated war if Mr. Abuka Onalo is serious and knows what he is talking about and secondly, this is suspicious most likely a cooked up,  I advise the media to dig further.
A Like Reply 2 hours ago 0 Like
F .
MathewUgbaa 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand We appreciate the courage of  Mr Abuka Onalo and all Nigerians of Middle-belt extraction represented by the UMYC. It is only REAL MEN that are able to RECOGNISE THEIR WRONGS OR MISTAKES and not cover them up or try to explain them away BUT BOLDY REPENT OF THEM AND ASK TO BE FORGIVEN.On behalf of all well-meaning Nigerians, I accept your appologies and welcome you all, our Middle-belt brothers and sisters to our fold.There is no doubt that if other parts of Nigeria would do what you have done concerning the area of our national life where they have failed the nation in the past, WE SHALL DEFINITELY HAVE A BETTER NIGERIA FOR OUR CHILDREN THAN WE HAVE HAD SINCE INDEPENDENCE.I want to beg my brothers and sisters from the East that have felt badly wounded by the civil war and happenings since then in Nigeria, to remember the milk of human kindness that constitutes an intrinsic part of their  character and make-up and FORGIVE. PLEASE FORGIVE AND EMBRACE YOUR BROTHERS FROM NEXT THAT HAVE COME BACK TO YOU. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PERSONS LIKE GOWON, DANJUMA AND OTHERS. THEY HAVE ALREADY LIVED THEIR LIVES AND WE CANNOT AFFORD TO CONTINUE TO ALLOW THE MISTAKES OF OUR PAST LEADERS TO RUIN OUR PRESENT AND FUTURE.

THE SOUTH SHOULD ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT WE NEED  MIDDLE-BELT ON OUR SIDE TO MOVE THE NATION FORWARD IN A DEMOCRACY.LET US THEREFORE BE WISE AND NOT FAIL TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE MOMENT.
A Like Reply 3 hours ago 0 Like
F .
J. Protombz, Objectivity ≠ Empathy+Sentiments 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand The hitherto powerful and resourceful North has now become a zone of terror, poverty and chaos. Like a leper, no one wants to be identified as a Northerner. Lets free this society: the North to the North, the South to the South. God bless Nigeria - divided or together.
A Like Reply 4 hours ago 0 Like
F .
Nwanneabua 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand They should make efforts to tender apologies to those the generation before slaughtered like rams. Go physically to the East. Like Icyflexy pointed out, this must involve those who spearheaded the murders, namely Gowon, Walbe, Domkat Bali, Jeremiah Useni, Danjuma and so on. Or those people should be denounced. These people mentioned, surprisingly, don't seem to get it. They boast about the killings and their roles before and after the war. But it is still good that this generation now realizes the mistakes of their fathers. Those killings of millions of people, even though it had the support of the rest of the world, is shameful and horrifying. It is hard to believe that man can be so wicked. Yet it happened that Africans cut open the bellies of pregnant women, removed the unborn children and later went on to become head of state, minister of health and external affairs and to chair various UN organizations. Incredible. Nigeria ain't going anywhere if these issues are not addressed. Again, the Middle Belt has some cleansing to do, to wipe away that sin against humanity.
A Like Reply 4 hours ago 1 Like F .
Kalu_J_Okafor 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand No time is late. The deceit of Islam in the political turf called Nigeria has started to dawn on the strange bed fellows bundled into the north by devilish Britain that cared and still cares more about how well it can exploit Nigeria.`Britain muddled a lot of things up hoping to clog the independence aspirations of southern Nigerian. All over the world Arabs and their religion stand for oppression and deceit. Our so-called  'Quite' is doing what we know them well for - appropriating figures to themselves without any reliable statistics. Are those states he mentioned majority Hausa/Fulani who are the oppressors?
A Like Reply 5 hours ago 0 Like
F .
King Dave 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand Na now day break ,you guys woked up very late.Una good morning.
A Like Reply 5 hours ago 8 Likes F .
Icyflexy 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand Thank God that you Middle-Belters have finally come back to your sences. I will not "really" hold much against this generation because the pepetrators happen to be from the past generation. Having said that, you guys have to do some things to right the wrongs of the past:

1. this goes beyond just writing an article that you are not part of the North or an apology on the pages of the news papers, you must make a visible effort or move to go to the south to realy apologise to them for the "sloughter of the past", especially the NDIGBO.

2. you must be one and firm in your resolution to be on your own. you should involve those "bad eggs" (if they have repented)from the past like GOWON in this "apology" mission, for it will go a long way for the South, especially the NDIGBO to really consider you people.

Finally, its obvious that what we need now is true federalism, even though the (Northen) leaders will not agree, anything outside this is "trouble continues". But no matter how long it takes, it will surely come.
A Like Reply 5 hours ago 2 Likes F .
Vicky987 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand Ojukwu will be laughing now, lol
A Like Reply 5 hours ago 2 Likes F .
quite 2 comments collapsed Collapse Expand Who cares abt d so call middle belt, mind u d Hausa-Fulani has a large stake in d present Niger, Kwara, Nasarawa. We d people of Niger state are strongly not part of your agitation 2 course crises with our fellow brothers due to your religion envy. pls note that the present middle belt constitute majority of muslims namely, Kwara 75% Niger 85%, Kogi 70% Nasarawa 70% is those state not part of the middle belt. so pls u christian can go ahead and form your region of Benue-Plateau,  fools
A Like Reply 6 hours ago 16 Likes F .
iorfagasenator 1 comment collapsed
Collapse Expand Quite.    u re nuting but a big fool i dn't blame u nd your so call muslims, i want u 2 know dat dat agitation must actualize, because we re tired of associating our selves wit evil people who go about killing  nd distroling   all de name of religious . enough is enough .
A Like Reply 5 hours ago in reply to quite 0 Like
F .
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by ak47mann(m): 4:12pm On Dec 09, 2011
Toaskarity:

To be frank, i did nt know that middle belt is of different group from those aboki's i use to see at my street but im beginning to get convince now!
[b]If actually they are among those that spearheaded the genocide [/b]whats different betwn them and hausas undecided

or are they saying these because the hausas/fulani are now killing them

that is what am talking about here in these NL, middle belt doesn't know that their wickedness and hate towards innocent children and women doing genocide killings joined with their master Hausa/Fulani will one day be their own turn to be massacred.let them feel how we felt in those yrs cool cool cool and fight war after that we can negotiate simple as that,
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 09, 2011
ak47mann:

that is what am talking about here in these NL, middle belt doesn't know that their wickedness and hate towards innocent children and women doing genocide killings joined with their master Hausa/Fulani will one day be their own turn to be massacred.let them feel how we felt in those yrs cool cool cool and fight war after that we can negotiate simple as that,

thats life for you my bro.everyone must leap what he sow undecided

someday even hausa and fulanis will fight each other or fight kanuri ppl cool
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by adamabdul: 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2011
The name of the country is Arewa ISLAMIC republic.We dnt nid infidels
Re: We’re Not Northerners- Middle-belt Youths by WilyWily4: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2011
ak47mann:

that is what am talking about here in these NL, middle belt doesn't know that their wickedness and hate towards innocent children and women doing genocide killings joined with their master Hausa/Fulani will one day be their own turn to be massacred.let them feel how we felt in those yrs  cool cool cool and fight war after that we can negotiate simple as that,
If u know what is Devil Wickedness, that is what those Monkey Kackroaches Brukutu drinking block heads Middle Belters are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Former Aid To Peter Obi Exposes Him...you Bought Everything!!! / Peter Abel Diah Resigns As Taraba House Of Assembly Speaker / Oluremi Tinubu Hails D'tigress On Women's Afrobasket Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.