Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Unprecedented Move - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Unprecedented Move (1148 Views)

Re :unprecedented Move (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 2:09pm On Sep 28, 2007
Hey you out there, if this isn't a bonus then I wonder what is.

Well I hope you all know me by now but I've convinced my friend to  showcase a few pages of her new book. I've told you she is great. Now tell me if I am wrong.

PROLOGUE

Ever reflected back on an event and wished you could reenact the exact moment when it hit you. When you are left wondering if you can pinpoint your precise location or preoccupation at the time, i.e. recreate the moment when the muck hit the fan. Your intent is not so much to re-live that moment but to freeze your reverie before it all went awry and repress it forever. 
   Try as she might, Nkiru couldn’t.
   Instead she envisaged the day as it could have been, that fateful day 2 years ago which was no ordinary dawn. She could have tarried to get out of bed because there would have been no need to hurry. She might have been cheerful and even hummed a melody underneath her breath. She must have been happy. Just happy? No, ecstatic was more descriptive of her then state of mind.
  They had just concluded the ‘iku aka’ or knocking ceremony the previous day and the formal traditional wedding ceremony will follow suit before the church or white wedding.
    Who wouldn’t have been happy? To cap it all, she and her beloved Obinna were intended to travel immediately afterwards to start a new life in the USA. There couldn’t possibly be a happier couple in the whole town of Ubi. None!
   However, her residual memory of the exact moment when her world was overturned was a blur. What remained vivid in her mind was the fall, not a physical fall. You know just like the rug had been pulled from under your feet and you whirl in a free fall. She watched herself declining rapidly as she tumbled down an endless bottomless pit. Bizarrely, she also stood atop the gaping hole while her other self tumbled down. There was two of her, each image more real than the other. An out of body experience it is called.   
   She recalled plummeting incessantly, thumping down an endless cascade of stairs, her body flailing like a lifeless doll as it went thump, thump from one step to the next. Her eyes ached from watching the spectacle of her simultaneous endless drift while her observer body stood numb and standstill.
   She felt drained, hapless, helpless and incapable of movement or reaching out to rescue her counterpart battered ostensibly inert body rattling along in a quick descent down the ditch.
   She couldn’t recall when or how the fall broke, much less when or how the two images finally merged back into one.
   She was engulfed by blankness and was transported to a hollow shell devoid of pain or emotions. She found herself encased in limbo and suspended in time. She stayed frozen to that particular moment in time refusing to feel or acknowledge the prickly thorns that encircled her head.
   Maybe if she stayed motionless for long enough, things will change. When she finally gets up, time would have reset itself back to her pre-plunge period.
   It wasn’t, couldn’t and shouldn’t be true.
   She mentally shut herself down in denial refusing to acknowledge that Obinna was gone.
   In her thwarted troubled mind, she argued that the rest of the world was mistaken.
   This was only a bad dream and the nightmare will be over as soon as she wakes up. She was just going to lie in bed, take her time and when she does wake up, it would have been a mere fluke, none of it real.
   Alas, if only wishes were horses because she did wake up but it was not a dream. When she emerged from her cocoon, it was no pretty sight. She finally had to confront her reality. The impervious cocoon that she had encased herself in hoping that when she crept out, things will be fine had only offered her but a temporary refuge. Her desire to turn time back or restart from her comfort zone was just wishful thinking.
   Life was far from a slate that she could wipe clean and rewrite. It is a master of its own fate; her part is to arbitrate with destiny.
    She longed for a clean slate to rewrite her residual life and plug with only laughter, very little of S’s but no T’s of life.
    Two years later and the numbness were yet to fully dissipate, the entire period riddled with pure anguish. Her heart threatened to burst out of its seams with sorrow as she contemplated her past.
   She had refused to cry throughout that period. Her eyes were wide open but blind, ears receptive of sounds but she was deaf. She learnt how to cry with a smile and her smile was transformed into a smirk.
  She had clutched her phone to chest, clung to it as if her dear life depended on it, grasping so tightly that the veins at the back of her hand were visibly outlined. She willed the phone to ring and waited expectantly for his voice at the other end.
   “Hello Baby, it’s me.” She’d have heard him say because those are usually his opening line when he calls as if she would have mistaken him for any other. 
   She was failed by the phone which refused to ring with his name reflected on the interface? Why? Why? She had queried in anguish. Had they not suffer enough? The trials and tribulations they underwent was not enough penitence for their sins?  Had they not propitiated the gods enough?
   A myriad of questions, doubts, anger and various other different emotions clogged flittingly through her mind, flickering like the embers of a dying candle through her tormented soul.
   The series of unrelenting queries flashed one after the other like the pages of a book left flustering in the face of the wind. She still didn’t have all the answers but was healing and trying to fully embrace the realms of her tragedy.
   It was against the tenets of her religion to doubt God, query her fate or the powers above. She was supposed to stay complacent to destiny after all the Almighty Savior was crucified to atone for her sins, yet never queried his destiny. Which sacrifice is greater than that?  He never uttered a single complaint. She recounted over and over again.
   So who was she to complain? She should simply embrace her lot and get a grip but it was just too much. God, unbearable! She suppurated in anguish, albeit no tears or words escaped from her lips, just the blank stare that kept forcing her mother back on her knees praying the rosary while pleading for absolution and beseeching the Lord to intercede before her daughter loses her sanity.
   But…but…why?  She still remonstrated in vain, knowing no straight answers were forthcoming.
A conflict of emotions continuously ran through her mind but her torment was undiminished.   
   Time was supposed to be the greatest healer but her pain was raw. It stung worse than the sharp painful sting of a tincture of iodine applied to fresh wound. 
   She was usually upbeat, thriving on staying optimistic in the face of adversity but not anymore. Life had dealt her too heavy a hand. As if Obinna’s tragedy was not enough, she had to contend with the others too.
   Her reoccurring trials beggared the aphorism ‘when it rains, it rains in torrents’ as a relentless torrent of mishaps dogged her very existence, one after the other.
    Where does she start to recount her inveterate heartbreaks? The culmination of events that had rocked the root of her equilibrium nearly forcing her senses to desert her. She was still trying to rein herself in but as of yet was en-route to recovery.
   Tears filled her eyes as memories of her beloved Obinna came flooding back, trickling down her cheeks as she gazed blindly up at the ceiling. She momentarily caught sight of the shoddy chandelier in her bed-sit. She observed a little spider dangling precariously at edge of a stringy web from the chandelier. The tiny creature was spinning round energetically forming a webby mesh building a globe around the chandelier.
   Lucky spider, at least you spin your own world, she pondered enviously as she watched mesmerized by the spider’s adroitness at work. She turned away to glance around her nearly bare typical student digs.
   Nothing mattered anymore.
Re: Unprecedented Move by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 28, 2007
wow!
the writing is good.
Wish her the best.
Re: Unprecedented Move by ozigizaga1: 2:25pm On Sep 28, 2007
Hi ,
this is wonderful,she needs all encouragement she can get.
God bless her and more greass to her elbow.
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 10:58pm On Oct 01, 2007
hello,
I cant believe only two individuals can attest to this material, really guys
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 9:05pm On Oct 11, 2007
No comments from Orinkala and Seun?
Re: Unprecedented Move by Orikinla(m): 12:04am On Oct 12, 2007
I have just seen and read it now.

I have been very busy and if your read my post on the greatest prize, you would have known that I have been in a state of tension.

On the prose, you have posted:

She has a good command of narrative grammar. But she should develop her own unique voice and manner of writing to avoid reading like other writers. Because, there are many writers, but the unique ones are few.

Her comprehension is good.
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 1:52pm On Oct 15, 2007
Thanks Orinkala for your input.

I hope things are better at your home front.

Cheers
Re: Unprecedented Move by Orikinla(m): 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2007
Ira,
Thanks.
My younger sister is fine now.
We thank God.

Tell your friend to ask her publishers to submit any of her published short stories for the Caine Prize for African fiction.
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 5:13pm On Oct 19, 2007
Thanks, will do. Cheers
Re: Unprecedented Move by nuelabkwl: 2:18pm On Nov 08, 2007
wow coolthis is good pls when can we get d remaining
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 8:22pm On Nov 08, 2007
unfortunately its not my personal write up but a friends.
anyway the actuua; book is due out early next year. you can check out her other books :

A Rose in Bloom @ www.trafford.com/06-1468
Whimsical Rhapsody @ www.lulu.com/contents/1091343
Re: Unprecedented Move by ira(f): 11:55pm On Dec 30, 2007
happy new year y'all

(1) (Reply)

Crossing The Berlin Wall / 3 Great Sayings By 3 Great Black Men / What Happened To The Nigerian Dream (by Mike Ogah )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.