Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models (1455 Views)

President Buhari Stands Tall Amongst West African Leaders (photos) / Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes / Group Urges APC Leaders To Replace Buhari With Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Sunofgod(m): 9:31am On Dec 11, 2011
South Africa's president, Jacob Zuma, yesterday called on his counterparts on the continent to ditch economic models offshore and stick to home-grown economic ideas to pull Africa from the woods.

Zuma's call came on the heels of an earlier speech by former vice president Atiku Abubakar, recalling his ordeal as vice president to ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo.

The South African leader said the economic crisis facing the west has put a question mark on their economic approach, which a few years ago was held as sacrosanct.

Zuma, who was the special guest of honour at the 1st Shehu Musa Yar'Adua Memorial Lecture in Abuja yesterday, also bemoaned the crisis situation in Libya and the eventual killing of her president, Col. Muamar Gaddafi.

He declared that the African Union (AU) must never allow such to happen again in the continent.

"Libya situation is the latest challenge to the African continent. We call on Africa to stand united and be counted among other nations of the world. The challenge is how to help Libyans to build a democratic Libya and we cannot do it alone; we need the Arab league to work with us. Those who bombed Libya are today without solution on how to tackle the Libya crisis," he said.

Zuma spoke extensively on the economic crisis in the developed countries: "The global balance of forces is undergoing a remarkable transformation. On one end, the world is facing economic crisis in the developed North and, on the other hand, there is the dramatic rise of China, India and Brazil on the Southern hemisphere as a new tenure in global economic growth and development. This is the context within which Africa must find its place and define its role in the 21st century. The economic crisis facing countries of the West has put a question mark on paradigm and approaches which, a few years ago, were celebrated as dogma to be worshiped.

"The painful years of Structural Adjustment Programme which was inspired by Washington consensus are still vivid in our mind. However, today, those economic models that were imposed on us are proving to be a source of economic difficulties unfolding in the North."

On peace and security, President Zuma, who was conferred with an honorary doctorate degree by the American University, Yola, said: "Peace and security in Africa also require our attention.

Yes, we are better than where we were a few years ago, but we still have Somalia, Cote d'ivoire who are emerging from painful crisis. The manner in which Libya was treated by some countries in the developed world remains a scar that will take many years to heal for Africa.

"The African Union summit next year will have to deliberate on the Libya question to help this country return to normalcy. We must deliberate as well as how to ensure that we do not have a repeat of what happened in Libya.

Continuing, the South African President said; "Developed countries have their own agenda. Some countries are forever looking for excuses to interfere in the continent. In the past they used to say it was because of the absence of democracy. The AU has never been confused about how to resolve the Libyan issue, working with the Libyans,

"The Libyan situation is a reminder of the need to entrench unity in Africa so that we can deal with the challenges together in a total manner to defend the place of the authority of Africa and AU on matters affecting the continent. Having said this, we need to continue to entrench democracy and democratic system in Africa. We have seen instances of political stability

Speaking on Gen. Yar'Adua, Zuma said: "Gen Yar'Adua showed us that we cannot have peace without development and we cannot have development without peace. And that we cannot sustain democracy without economic prosperity in Africa.

In his speech, Atiku said that "Zuma was persecuted and later removed from office. I was also persecuted and removed from office, but the constitution of Nigeria blocked them from removing me from office", he said.

President Goodluck Jonathan, who was represented by his Vice, Arc. Namadi Sambo, said the administration is doing everything possible to avoid sliding back to what late Gen. Yar'Adua refered to as 'siege mentality'.

To do this, he said that the administration is working hard to provide quality education for the people, noting that human development is essential if the country must develop.

The President who also revealed a damning figure of 9.5million Almajiris in the country, also said the government is taking seriously the programme of building men and material

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112110017.html
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Rossikk(m): 2:27pm On Dec 11, 2011
Story Story

If you want to be like China, Brazil, USA etc, then UNITE AFRICA POLITICALLY AND ECONOMICALLY INTO ONE NATION, so that ALL the resources of the continent are managed by a single central govt. Maintaining these colonial boundaries of unviable little countries each doing their own thing is a waste of time, and opens the continent up to exploitation by foreign powers.

Tell me. Can France or anybody send troops to 'maintain peace' anywhere in China today?

What about Brazil?

The USA?

No?

But they can do that in Africa because we have tiny little states like Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Liberia etc etc, which anybody can come in from outside and CHANCE. And dictate who should rule there. Dictate policies etc.

UNTIL THAT CHANGES through African unification, be ready for more indignities.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by AfroBlue(m): 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2011
Vital supplement from the another NL board

France Robbing Africa Through The Colonial Pact

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-819014.0.html
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by ektbear: 9:13pm On Dec 11, 2011
Lol.

Jacob Zuma is a very dumb nigger.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by cashmentor(m): 9:38pm On Dec 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol.

Jacob Zuma is a very dumb nigger.
by dumb, u mean having d nerves unlike ur humble Joe, to condem d evils of d west and spell out a road map for Africa, which to my understanding is valid? When has Joe ever condem d west on any issue relating 2 Africa? Last time i checkd, only David Mark has that kind of balls to spite fire, though weak, but fire na fire!
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by ektbear: 10:03pm On Dec 11, 2011
I don't give a crap about the west or any of this false bravado of David Mark or the useless Zuma.

Do what works. And it should be clear at this point that the western economic models are what work.

I could even see if this were 1960 or so, around the time all these African countries were just getting independence.

They tried their own economic models, and largely all failed.

Meanwhile these Asian countries like Singapore, Korea, Japan and China in 1979 went with the Western economic models and have zoomed past Africa.

I am very tired of dumb leaders like Zuma who keep holding Africa back.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Dec 11, 2011
This man is a goat!
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Dec 11, 2011
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by cashmentor(m): 10:28pm On Dec 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't give a crap about the west or any of this false bravado of David Mark or the useless Zuma.

Do what works. And it should be clear at this point that the western economic models are what work.

I could even see if this were 1960 or so, around the time all these African countries were just getting independence.

Meanwhile these Asian countries like Singapore, Korea, Japan and China in 1979 went with the Western economic models and have zoomed past Africa.

it still boils down 2 wat Mr Zuma is trying 2 say! Africa would be a safe heaven, with good economic models and vehicles, only and only if d west stays off and stop interfering in d politics and economic affairs of Africa, Buh i doubt, coz d west will never take her eyes off Africa, neither will she allow Africa copy and device good economic models? Why? Selfish interest and personal agendas, hence African leaders has got 2 work 2gether to protect the future of Africa!
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Rossikk(m): 10:59pm On Dec 11, 2011
ekt bear said:

For your information, the vast majority of African nations you say 'have failed' (an ignorant comment by the way - they're miles better than they were under colonialism) DID adopt the 'western economic models' you sit there crowing about. Most of those nations followed almost to a letter laissez faire market economic principles, and even at some point in the 80s and 90s, had IMF and World Bank officials STATIONED in their finance ministries/central banks etc, just to oversee the implementation of those 'western models'.

Most nations, Nigeria including (see IBB's SAP), ended up regretting it. Millions were thrown out of work as currencies plummeted, and food and other imports crowded out farmers and local industries, killing agriculture and employment.

So what Zuma is saying is absolutely correct. That African nations should JETTISON inappropriate western dictates and adopt homegrown solutions. Malawi did just that, rejecting IMF 'liberalisation' dictates, and insisted on growing its own food rather than importing rice from the USA. The end result? She's now self sufficient in food and even exporting to neighbouring countries. Go on google and read up the 'Malawian miracle'.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by igbo2011(m): 6:36am On Dec 12, 2011
This is true, also the political model and culture as well. We don't need to have all these Senators and house members who just waste the money of Nigeria. There shold be a homegrown model for that as well.

Also the culture, Nigerians shouldn't wear foreign clothes, only Nigerian clothes. This will revive the textiles industry.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by birdman(m): 5:03am On Dec 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Actually, it is clear  present-day economic models do not work. If you have to print money out of thin air to pay debtors, you have a system that does not work.  If you have a system which progressively erodes its middle class, the basis of a healthy democracy, then it does not work. There is no other way to put it.

But why did they fail? Are you lumping countries that tried communism and failed with those whose democracy was overthrown by bloody coup. That definitely doesn't sound right. Awo for example instituted free education which goes against the tenets of today's capitalism. It is very obvious that it worked, given the ripple effect it has had on 3 generations and counting.

The western economic model of the 70s is different from what you have today. Industrial policy, which the asians copied is now anathema in the west. Obviously there is a lot to emulate, but to embrace an economic model suited for another culture hog wild is crazy.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Oba234: 9:05am On Dec 13, 2011
Rossikk:

Story Story

If you want to be like China, Brazil, USA etc, then UNITE AFRICA POLITICALLY AND ECONOMICALLY INTO ONE NATION, so that ALL the resources of the continent are managed by a single central govt. Maintaining these colonial boundaries of unviable little countries each doing their own thing is a waste of time, and opens the continent up to exploitation by foreign powers.

Tell me. Can France or anybody send troops to 'maintain peace' anywhere in China today?

What about Brazil?

The USA?

No?

But they can do that in Africa because we have tiny little states like Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Liberia etc etc, which anybody can come in from outside and CHANCE. And dictate who should rule there. Dictate policies etc.

UNTIL THAT CHANGES through African unification, be ready for more indignities.

Omo, God bless you for this. I have been thinking the same thing. Africa has too many little countries it's ridiculous. Countries like Benin, Togo should not even be countries. How do we expect to compete on the world stage with almighty China, Russia, USA, Brazil, India, Canada, Germany when we keep breaking apart every little chances we get?  There is strength in numbers my people.  Part of the reason why Nigeria and South Africa are well respected within the African Continent and abroad is because of our size. This is why I don't support Nigerian breaking apart sometimes. Our size and diversity make us who we are and define Nigeria. When we break up into three different parts, who are we expecting to compete with on the world stage?  Africans need to learn how to get along. Point blank. Enter the 21st and learn the days of our great grand parents are long over with. One of the reasons why Africa was so easily colonized in the past was because of our fragmentation. I pity all these little ethnic groups that want to keep to themselves and form their own country. You are just asking for an invasion. I don't think all of Africa can be control under one government. I think it will be too big. I think we should reduce the amount of smaller countries and form bigger ones.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 13, 2011
I knew ekt bear and kobojunkie will be here, kobojunkie is coming back to Nigeria anyways as soon as I finish school cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Whether he/she likes it or not she is coming back summer 2012 grin grin grin grin

As for ekt bear, I will wait for Paddy_lo cause threads like this are his kind but I will ask you somethings though.

Is Nigeria operating the western system of economy yes or no? Is our economic system good? I don't expect a yes or no answer but at least explain,

Why can't Nigeria trade oil for gold to back the currency up with? Since we import most of our commodities in Nigeria I will say a strong currency helps untill we are able to set things up here and after that we can devalue don't you think? So why do we get paper money (worthless) for something valuable?

Zuma was right and I think it will be nice for us as a people to find what works the western system is just too basic and general we need something fundamental and specific because owing to diversity of resources available in different African nations, a general system will bring a general problem. We need something that blocks that general problem (global recession) so that our specific system grows.

A specific system is what we need. What works for Brits won't work for Nigeria because not just racial difference, population difference, cultural difference, spending difference etc, so a system that was designed using the Brits as case study won't work in Nigeria because we are totally different people,

You don't agree? Explain, I'm not speaking from an Afrocentric view (I'm half European) but I think you understand the systems that works in China put into consideration China's population for instance the finance ministry in China knows that a general election China would cost close to a trillion dollars which is more than the economy of some top class nations.

I know you are smarter than using the ills of China to counter ma propositions. I'm no good in economics perhaps you are but hey, I don't think it doesn't apply in any economic principle that a general system can't solve a specific problem,

Even if I grant that a general system can solve a specific problem, I will be forced to think further when the other adopters of the general system don't have the supposedly general problem that you have, what do you do? So you see, a specific system is what is needed, For instance your neighbors all have their power supply running normal but you. Do you tell the hydro company that the problem is general and came from a distribution unit and not something specific to your home?

Europeans/Americans think with their people in mind i.e their population and culture specifically not generally hence why EU is going down. You don't open restaurants in Hungary or Ukraine and say you ain't serving perogies grin grin grin grin or tell the Irish to stop buying alcohol tongue tongue tongue tongue ,

You see, to each his/her own. Skyscrapers etc, to me are signs of debt and not economic growth (Don't counter me with this point as agreeing with you on this doesn't take nothing from my main points).

As for Kobojunkie calling Zuma a goat, I will deport to Nigeria my self angry angry angry angry angry angry angry You are becoming more and more likely to frown at anything African and smile at anything the "west" do angry angry at least be neutral and distribute blames accordingly.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by ektbear: 10:31am On Dec 13, 2011
At some point in the future I'll jump back into this thread. I can already tell it will take up a decent amount of time/energy to respond, something I won't really have until later in the week.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by igbo2011(m): 11:25am On Dec 13, 2011
@9jaganda
People are not allowed to trade in anything but dollars. That is called economic imperialism. If you trade to America, they will only give you ollars. If ou ask for another currency then you will end up like Saddam who wanted to trad in Euros. Or Gaddaffi who wanted to trade in the African dinar DEAD!.

China is willing to trade with a barter system. They were trading with Ivory coast cocoa beans for products. But the west doesn't want that.

Once the west gets out of Africa's business it will be better.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Arosa(m): 12:24pm On Dec 13, 2011
Zuma is right, the question is what economic model is good for Africa.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 13, 2011
igbo2011:

@9jaganda
People are not allowed to trade in anything but dollars. That is called economic imperialism. If you trade to America, they will only give you ollars.  If ou ask for another currency then you will end up like Saddam who wanted to trad in Euros. Or Gaddaffi who wanted to trade in the African dinar DEAD!.

China is willing to trade with a barter system. They were trading with Ivory coast cocoa beans for products. But the west doesn't want that.

Once the west gets out of Africa's business it will be better.

I'm sure there are obvious similarities between Saddam and Gaddafi but I wouldn't wanna say the reason they were killed was because they won't trade with the dollars. Even though it is possible, it's not a safe stand to take because even Egyptian president was American puppet but simply got ousted but let's grant it that Egypt doesn't have what America wants but still your stand is not a safe one,

I know Americans had a deal with Vietnam before leaving that the Vietnamese currency must not surpass the dollar. And that was during their dumb period thinking bigger currency mean anything for a manufacturing nation. When their product became something for the rich and 99% of the world is poor, China devalued her currency very well so the world can afford their products. Now America is looking for a way out of the mess but the only way will be for them to make sure they keep the markets and resources China needs and where else to look but Africa?

Europe lumped nations with totally different cultures and national agendas together in the name of "uniting" Europe and not allowing each nations to have a referendum on whether they want to be part of the EU or not. Now EU wants to control the national budgets of each country because of debts. But  EU has no backing other than what EU nations have but guess what? Majority of them have non but out of false pride EU key nations like France, Britain, Germany 'Europeans' should be 1 shocked shocked shocked both economically and politically with others like history didn't teach em non. They want to form a powerful bloc that will incude all NATO nations but the truth is, their economies doesn't depend on their own nations,

I remember Sarkozy openly saying EU will be a great "nation" that will shape the world and force the world to do the dictates of EU and that any nation that doesn't have same values as them will not have any business with them. But look is crawling in Ivory Coast's back yard causing confusion and supporting the loser of an election yet leaving the Camerounian puppet there for decades? Yeah it's Sarkozy the European boastfully said EU economy is the best as it stands and through economic means will "run" the world. hahahahahahahahahaha Russians say hello

Ireland is trying to pull out, so is greece and many others. The nations that referendum didn't join the EU e,g Norway and Switzerland. I studied these whole EU facade very well not since inception as I was still into PS2 when I heard there was anything like "EU" but I later studied these nonsense entity that is trying so hard to stay relevant even when it is causing chaos. The irrelevance of EU is evident in the economic turmoil the member nations are in yet Norway, Switzerland are European nations but have better and stable economies compared to members of the stoopidity union,

My point and rant about EU and America is that even the so called "westerners" don't know what they are doing and are merely experimenting. Let us do our own and experiment till we get what will become a socio-cultural foundation of our economic system,  Socio cultural in the sense that the moment a policy is bad, it won't take long before it is noticed. Because if the economic system is only affecting our financial status, we won't find ways to correct it but if an economic system is eating into the fabric of our very existence, trust me, people will easily adjust,  When an economy only affect financial status, it just leads to problems that can be traced to bad economic policies and system without really naturally suggesting a solution but when an economic system affects the socio cultural existence directly, the people adjust and automatically a new system evolves.

Pardon my bad english but I'm not English lol I was forced to learn the language. I speak fluent and general Spanish though. Hope you understand my English,
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by Horus(m): 1:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
Arosa:

Zuma is right, the question is what economic model is good for Africa.

Many Pan African scholars have called for a new system, an African system as being the only type of equitable system for Africans.
Re: Zuma Tells African Leaders To Dump West's Economic Models by SUNADCOMM: 1:29pm On Dec 13, 2011
HP 630, CORE I3, 2.3GB, 500GB, 4GB, WEBCAM/BTH WITH BAG. 93,000
DELL, CORE I3, 640GB, 4GB, WEBCAM/BTH, WIN 7. 98,000
HP MINI, 160GB, 1GB, WEBCAM/BTH. 45,000

(1) (Reply)

Minister Of State For Foreign Affairs Disgraced In Usa By True Naija Youths / Thisday Bombings: Elrufai Mocks Thisday/government / Google Rejects White House Request To Pull Anti Mohammad Film Clip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.