Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,975 members, 7,825,040 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? (8117 Views)

How Did/do You Handle Rejection ? / Overcoming Feelings Of Worthlessness / What Do You Do When Your Friend Confesses He Has Feelings For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by senator2b: 7:52pm On Dec 13, 2011
Walking by our feelings is like walking through the world with our heart on our sleeve. We are bound to be hurt, and we are bound to be disappointed, for we live in a fallen world. What we choose to do with that hurt and disappointment will either allow us to grow stronger in our walk with the Lord or it will mean that we are walking wounded. Both outcomes are our choice. We are all prone to disappointment and feelings of rejection, and that is especially true in the aftermath of a broken relationship. One person's rejection does not mean we are unlovable. But we can allow that one rejection to determine how we feel and allow that feeling to color our idea of who we are, or we can choose to put that behind us and move forward on the basis of something that is far more lasting. so house what do you think? need your ideas. sad
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by iice(f): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2011
Connect your logic with your emotions.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Kx: 11:48am On Dec 14, 2011
Be positive.
There's an adage that goes
"Every disappointment is a blessing"
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by maclatunji: 2:05pm On Dec 14, 2011
You might never truly forget rejection especially when the source (be it person or organization) is still close to you somehow. You just have to manage it and shouldn't allow it (h)eat-you-up particularly when it leads you towards anger.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by maclatunji: 2:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
Kx:

Be positive.
There's an adage that goes
[s]"Every disappointment is a blessing"[/s]

Take my own improvement on that saying:

Some dissapointments are blessings in disguise!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by eunisam: 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
said to yourself.goch! am better than him.he is not my Future!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by buzugee(m): 2:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
i can do you one better. detach your feelings from all living humans and just deal with people on a de facto basis. take people on a what you see is what you get basis. this way you wouldnt even have the problem of rejection. you gotta be cold in this world. there is a way to be cold but yet nice to people. learn that trick
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by brainpulse: 2:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
maclatunji:

Take my own improvement on that saying:

Some dissapointments are blessings in disguise!

And  some disappointments opens the next door to countless opportunities
   And  some disappointments opens your eyes to limitations

Its always the time to dust every redicle, self pity and discouragement to move ahead.

Its not always in relationships alone but every sphere of human endeavour.

I could remember in my first year at the University my first and second semester results were very, very bad and i cried all through the night and days because i knew i read and put in my best but i failed having up to 14 units CO. I thought of writing another Jamb, leaving the school and maybe ddisappear But one thing came into my mind, that the End to failure is the beginningof Fighting on and not losing hope. I concentrated on my limitations and weaknesses, read more, solved past question papers and my CGPA started rising after spreading my courses through the semesters and i graduated with Good grade, did my masters and have 2 professional certifications and 2 professional memberships and with a good job. The spirit of fighting on is still in me and with the help of God i am still winning.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Gbosketu: 2:41pm On Dec 14, 2011
Simple. Build on your self confidence!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by kokoye(m): 2:55pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^^

Na so e easy?

Anway, no matter how tough, you have to try to move on. Keep yourself busy by investing your time in things that will make you a better person . . sports, tutoring, . .whatever.

A lot of times, running off to another date in order to forget your ex does n ot always work.

Good luck
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Gentleboby: 3:03pm On Dec 14, 2011
make we HAMMER fist and see
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:30pm On Dec 14, 2011
Time may not heal all wounds, but time heals that wound!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by virunga: 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
Be positive and do your hobbies
it may takes time but after that you will recover, good luck !!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by moremi2008(m): 3:40pm On Dec 14, 2011
Romantic disappointments are hard to overcome quickly. The best remedy is to prayerfully focus your disappointment/anger on some life-improving activity. With time, the sting lessens and before you know it, you're over it. Good luck!
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2011
buzugee:

i can do you one better. detach your feelings from all living humans and just deal with people on a de facto basis. take people on a what you see is what you get basis. this way you wouldnt even have the problem of rejection. you gotta be cold in this world. there is a way to be cold but yet nice to people. learn that trick

You just reminded me of an old movie titled "equilibrium", had christian bale in it! , being cold is just a way of living the "better safe than sorry" life. And that ain't cool.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Heck: 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2011
Pls say after me: O Lord my Creator. Give me daily bread. Never let me get the money that will make me go after my neighbour's wife. make my wife ugly and unattractive that no other man except me would want to sleep with her. let me not be poor that flies will eat my food with me. let not temptations beyond me come near me, OTHERWISE YOU WILL CARRY YOUR HEART ON YOUR HEAD AND WALK ABOUT O, when Mr. HURT visits.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by sylve11: 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2011
“A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.” . build on ur confidence then move on. . . . cool
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by djeezy(m): 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
To be succinct, Here's a little tip on coping with rejections relating to love and relationships. Always remember, if
you're rejected that
person is losing
someone that has a
heart for them, and
you're losing
someone who
doesn't . Hopefully
you'll get over it in a
couple of days.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by chika98: 4:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
iice:

Connect your logic with your emotions.
Aptly put! Then again how many people are logical or rather see things from a logical point of view when the heart feels something so strong?

They say time heals all wounds BUT one has to have a catharsis and make an effort to move on. Often times we're a victim of our own mind. If someone rejects you then move on or at least make an effort to. Someday someone who really fancies you will come around. It may take a while but it will happen.
Whilst you're looking out for someone else. . Engage in other activities. Pick up a hobby and get to know who you really are and what you're truly looking for. A strong sense of self plus confidence goes a long way.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Orikinla(m): 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2011
Good topic. But REJECTION is a very serious subject to address and tackle from a pedestrian point of view, because it is often misunderstood by those who are uneducated or not well informed on the peculiarities or similarities of human idiosyncrasies .

What are the circumstances of the problem?

The circumstances will help to comprehend and solve the problem.

How, why and when did the rejection occur?

If someone refuses or turns down an offer does not necessarily mean he or she has absolutely rejected you or your product,
The person probably does not understand your proposition or wanted more time for the evaluation and consideration.

The person who turns you down today may accept you tomorrow depending on the circumstances.

There is what we call conducive environment and psychological moment that often favours offers or attempts to  receive the nod of someone.

Your manner of approach may be right or wrong depending on the conditions, positions, locations and situations.

Like most immature young men asking for a relationship before friendship and feel rejected when the girls refuse to date them.
So, they should not have put the cart before the horse.

You need to know when and how to do the right thing.
And don't ever expect everyone to like you or accept you.
Even majority of us who confess and profess to believe in GOD have rejected HIM countless times!
And GOD is PERFECT, yet Adam and Eve turned their back on him and dined with the devil in the Garden of Eden.
They were the first cheaters on earth.

What of the encounter of Jesus Christ with the woman of Samaria at the well.
Jesus had to be patient with her when she was reluctant to give him water to drink, because of her ignorance.

Most cases of rejection is caused by the same ignorance in one form or another.

If you want to succeed in any relationship, even in marketing a product, don't slam the offer on the person or target audience.
Get to know more about the person or people first and introduce yourself as a friend and be patient too.

If you want a guy to like you and date you, don't assume that he is going to welcome you straight away.
You have to try to know his likes and dislikes and what he is passionate about and show mutual interest in his passions and be his ally and gradually flow along with his stream of consciousness until you become part of his interests and before you know it, he will be the one wanting your company and soon move on to the next level.

Chinua Achebe's all time classic novel Things Fall Apar[/i]t was rejected more than once before it eventually found a publisher.
JK Rowling's [i]Harry Potter
was rejected by several publishers before she found someone who accepted it and changed the course of history.

To avoid harsh rejections in relationships, you should know yourself; your advantages and disadvantages and then discover your best weapons in guts and wits and then know HOW to apply them, WHEN to apply them, WHY you should apply them and TO WHOM you should apply them.
What is good for Jane may not be good for Janet.

I have seen a guy who was the bomb is great looks and style and very brilliant too and thought that every gal should be excited to go out with him, but he got rejected by even some of the ugliest girls. Why?
They did not like him?
No.
They felt intimidated by his Alpha Male personality.
They thought he wanted to bang them and then dump them later. And other were just too shy to accept him.

Human behaviour is the most complex thing in the universe.
Have you taken time to understand the ironies of human characteristics?
It is as complex as the study of the DNA and RNA.

A girl who rejected you at Oshodi Retail Market may later accept you at the luxury Shoprite Shopping Mall.
A Girl with a Ph.D may reject her male professional colleague to date the struggling bohemian artist and you would be pissed!
"Gosh! What did she see in him?"
Only God knows!

A Nigerian medical doctor who has rejected many eligible bachelors accepted to date and marry a man with only a primary school certificate!

The list is endless.

My conclusion is, no one should let whatever form or kind of rejection in human relationships hurt him or her, but take it philosophically and in fact, do your best to prove whoever or whatever organization rejected you wrong by turning things around in your favour.

I know a man who was rejected by a woman for seven years until she finally agreed to go out with him and today they have been married with lovely children for over 20 years and he uses it to tease her.

A guy that was feeling too big for a girl later ended up as one of the applicants coming to her for employment where she was now the HR Manager.

Just live your life to fulfil your divine destiny or your dreams and not to impress any body so that you will be accepted by one lady or gentleman. Because you are not living your life for the glory of anybody, but for God your maker and owner.

What matters most in life is not who accepted or rejected you, but the legacy of how worthy you are to humanity.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by sycamore(m): 5:13pm On Dec 14, 2011
Shrug it off, you were too Good for whatever rejects u, Kapisch
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
Smoke weed!!

and go from to in 5 minutes!

Works for me!! wink
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by senator2b: 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
Therefore, if you are a child of God, you may suffer disappointment in this life, but you need to remember that as a child of the King, this rejection is a momentary bump in the road. You have a choice to either allow that bump to derail you and walk wounded, or you can choose to claim the heritage of a child of God and move forward in grace. Forgiveness of others and of self is a gift that you can give because it is the gift given to you by the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 4:32). As People we are not defined by our past failures or by disappointment or by the rejection of others. We are defined as children of God, born again to newness of life and endowed with every spiritual blessing and accepted in Christ Jesus. That is the defining factor when it comes to victorious living. God has prepared for each of us unique opportunities to walk through the "all things" of this life.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by kingjonata: 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2011
invest your time in things that make you  happy
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by MrCork17: 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2011
go for a bus ride! angry
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

Smoke weed!!

and go from to in 5 minutes!

Works for me!! wink
Good one,

Usually I try suicide, worked once
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Ournaija: 5:52pm On Dec 14, 2011
Orikinla:

Good topic. But REJECTION is a very serious subject to address and tackle from a pedestrian point of view, because it is often misunderstood by those who are uneducated or not well informed on the peculiarities or similarities of human idiosyncrasies .

What are the circumstances of the problem?

The circumstances will help to comprehend and solve the problem.

How, why and when did the rejection occur?

If someone refuses or turns down an offer does not necessarily mean he or she has absolutely rejected you or your product,
The person probably does not understand your proposition or wanted more time for the evaluation and consideration.

The person who turns you down today may accept you tomorrow depending on the circumstances.

There is what we call conducive environment and psychological moment that often favours offers or attempts to  receive the nod of someone.

Your manner of approach may be right or wrong depending on the conditions, positions, locations and situations.

Like most immature young men asking for a relationship before friendship and feel rejected when the girls refuse to date them.
So, they should not have put the cart before the horse.

You need to know when and how to do the right thing.
And don't ever expect everyone to like you or accept you.
Even majority of us who confess and profess to believe in GOD have rejected HIM countless times!
And GOD is PERFECT, yet Adam and Eve turned their back on him and dined with the devil in the Garden of Eden.
They were the first cheaters on earth.

What of the encounter of Jesus Christ with the woman of Samaria at the well.
Jesus had to be patient with her when she was reluctant to give him water to drink, because of her ignorance.

Most cases of rejection is caused by the same ignorance in one form or another.

If you want to succeed in any relationship, even in marketing a product, don't slam the offer on the person or target audience.
Get to know more about the person or people first and introduce yourself as a friend and be patient too.

If you want a guy to like you and date you, don't assume that he is going to welcome you straight away.
You have to try to know his likes and dislikes and what he is passionate about and show mutual interest in his passions and be his ally and gradually flow along with his stream of consciousness until you become part of his interests and before you know it, he will be the one wanting your company and soon move on to the next level.

Chinua Achebe's all time classic novel Things Fall Apar[/i]t was rejected more than once before it eventually found a publisher.
JK Rowling's [i]Harry Potter
was rejected by several publishers before she found someone who accepted it and changed the course of history.

To avoid harsh rejections in relationships, you should know yourself; your advantages and disadvantages and then discover your best weapons in guts and wits and then know HOW to apply them, WHEN to apply them, WHY you should apply them and TO WHOM you should apply them.
What is good for Jane may not be good for Janet.

I have seen a guy who was the bomb is great looks and style and very brilliant too and thought that every gal should be excited to go out with him, but he got rejected by even some of the ugliest girls. Why?
They did not like him?
No.
They felt intimidated by his Alpha Male personality.
They thought he wanted to slam them and then dump them later. And other were just too shy to accept him.

Human behaviour is the most complex thing in the universe.
Have you taken time to understand the ironies of human characteristics?
It is as complex as the study of the DNA and RNA.

A girl who rejected you at Oshodi Retail Market may later accept you at the luxury Shoprite Shopping Mall.
A Girl with a Ph.D may reject her male professional colleague to date the struggling bohemian artist and you would be pissed!
"Gosh! What did she see in him?"
Only God knows!

A Nigerian medical doctor who has rejected many eligible bachelors accepted to date and marry a man with only a primary school certificate!

The list is endless.

My conclusion is, no one should let whatever form or kind of rejection in human relationships hurt him or her, but take it philosophically and in fact, do your best to prove whoever or whatever organization rejected you wrong by turning things around in your favour.

I know a man who was rejected by a woman for seven years until she finally agreed to go out with him and today they have been married with lovely children for over 20 years and he uses it to tease her.

A guy that was feeling too big for a girl later ended up as one of the applicants coming to her for employment where she was now the HR Manager.

Just live your life to fulfil your divine destiny or your dreams and not to impress any body so that you will be accepted by one lady or gentleman. Because you are not living your life for the glory of anybody, but for God your maker and owner.

What matters most in life is not who accepted or rejected you, but the legacy of how worthy you are to humanity.

Orikiriki

Yea you got this one right.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by DeeMain(m): 6:11pm On Dec 14, 2011
Feelings of rejection is a surface symptom of a deeper malaise. The problem may have deep roots in your upbringing and family. How much secure did u feel as a child? How much love did u feel? How safe did u feel while growing up? How much self-esteem was built into u by your caregivers?

After a broken relationship, periods of pain , grieve, disappointment, hurts are all in order, but when one feels rejected the implication is that the individual was dependent on the spouse/boy- or girlfiend for his or her self-esteem or self-image. Loving ourselves, accepting ourselves - warts and all - is a first step to a stable relationship and being able to move on with lessons learnt when relationships don't work.

Bottomline: nobody can reject you without your permission. Nobody can make u feel rejected. If you feel rejected, then you have a lot of work to do to find your authentic self. To solve the problem of feelings of rejection, the issue has to be uprooted from the roots - your self-image, your neediness, your self-esteem which have been programmed inside of you from events and experiences in your upbringing.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by NET1(m): 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2011
Orikinla: for once, I agree with you on an issue.
DeeMain: On point.

.NET
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by Orikinla(m): 7:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
DeeMain:

Feelings of rejection is a surface symptom of a deeper malaise. The problem may have deep roots in your upbringing and family. How much secure did u feel as a child? How much love did u feel? How safe did u feel while growing up? How much self-esteem was built into u by your caregivers?

After a broken relationship, periods of pain , grieve, disappointment, hurts are all in order, but when one feels rejected the implication is that the individual was dependent on the spouse/boy- or girlfiend for his or her self-esteem or self-image. Loving ourselves, accepting ourselves - warts and all - is a first step to a stable relationship and being able to move on with lessons learnt when relationships don't work.

Bottomline: nobody can reject you without your permission. Nobody can make u feel rejected. If you feel rejected, then you have a lot of work to do to find your authentic self. To solve the problem of feelings of rejection, the issue has to be uprooted from the roots - your self-image, your neediness, your self-esteem which have been programmed inside of you from events and experiences in your upbringing.
Well said and should be enough for a life time.
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by DeeMain(m): 7:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
Many tnx Orinkila wink
Re: How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? by vinderbilt: 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2011
@Original poster, you are really heartbroken and it has made you wise with words and expression, look at the positive side grin

anyways time heals and try to take your mind out of it and think of something else

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Your Mind! / Twenty20 Newly Updated Dumps Get Microsoft DA-100 Dumps / Which Area Is Closer To Surulere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.