Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Removal Of Fuel Subsidy: Another Viewpoint - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Removal Of Fuel Subsidy: Another Viewpoint (460 Views)

Amaechi And Dawari George At ViewPoint On 93.7 Rythem Fm In PH (Pics) / Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / House of Representatives Adopt Motion Over Removal Of Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Removal Of Fuel Subsidy: Another Viewpoint by mdfash(m): 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2011
The determination with which our President, HE Jonathan Goodluck is pursuing the issue of the removal of fuel subsidy, in the face of stiff opposition from all and sundry, calls for a deep reflection. Hardly had any issue facing the Nigerian people faced such a unanimous outrage from the citizenry of our dear Motherland. Our President has been quoted as saying that he would remove the fuel subsidy, notwithstanding any attending consequences. From the look of things, the posture of Mr. President is either that of a rabid, irrational, insensitive leader, or on the contrary, a principled leader who, seeing a problem posing great danger to the Mutterland, is

determined to solve it. I think the latter.

In a country where only the salaried citizenry pay their due share of taxes, the most effective way to raise money for development is via use tax on products. A near 50% subsidy on fuel cannot be justified in a country where the roads are full of life-threatening pot-holes, the schools are ill-equipped, and the hospitals are mere consulting clinics. It seems more appropriate to me that money be made available to the Government for development for the common good, rather than dispersed in the form of subsidy, which the top 5% of the population, who consume over 90% of the fuel, do not really need. To make matters worse, it is common knowledge that the subsidized fuel is transported to the neighbouring countries and sold at high profits, to the great disadvantage of Nigerians. If removing the fuel subsidy will make more money available for development, ensuring maintenance of law and order, and provision of much needed jobs for our youth, and peace and security, then I am all for it.

Therein lies the crux of the matter: whether the money saved from removal of the subsidy will be used for the betterment of the people, rather than go the way of the legendary "2.8 billion." But despite the skepticism, the government has no way of managing the funds, if the money is not made available in the first instance. I visit Nigeria a lot, and I do not like what I see, especially in the last three years, as the social structures disintegrate and life becomes increasingly unsafe. If President Jonathan believes that removal of fuel subsidy will turn things around, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The boat of the country is listing perilously, and if more funds available to the government will right the ship, I will support the President and give him a chance.

(1) (Reply)

Police Burst Kidnapping Syndicate,rescue Eight Children / Uduaghan Presents N383.4b Budget / N1 Billion Paid To Ghost Police Pensioners Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.