Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? (1045 Views)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering / Medicine or Dentistry?: Pls Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2011
am in ND2 studying elect elect engineering, which i did because my parent want me to, but now.i told my parent that i want to collect jamb to do my beloved course computer science but they say no that computer science is no were to elect , i will do direct entry, which i knw that, i cant secure an UPPER CREDIT , av secretly got the jamb, but am afraid, cos i av no passion 4 electrical electronic engineering, pls, beautiful people here should advice me
Re: Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? by mcnepow(m): 11:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
The talent you are born with is superior to whatsoever you are trained in. Study the course you would enjoying doing even if you are not being paid for doing it. 'You have gotten an ND for your parents, go get a BSc for yourself'. FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!
Re: Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 17, 2011
tahnkz @mcnepow, i gat you Bro
Re: Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? by tanimola22: 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2011
Harjibode:

am in ND2 studying elect elect engineering, which i did because my parent want me to, but now.i told my parent that i want to collect jamb to do my beloved course computer science but they say no that computer science is no were to elect , i will do direct entry, which i knw that,  i cant secure an UPPER CREDIT , av secretly got the jamb, but am afraid, cos i av no passion 4 electrical electronic engineering, pls, beautiful people here should advice me

Just so you know, most computer science departments teach close to zilch! Unless I terribly hate EE, if I were you, I would go for EE and learn computing on the side. Programming, Network Analysis, Database Management, Sorting and all these things can be learnt outside. In my opinion, EE offers a broader and richer foundation than computer science. The best computer science gurus I know did not study computer science at undergrad level. It even becomes all the more better if you have a talent or flair for computing. You would not have to study it formally at the university.

Your parents are not wrong, but everything still depends on what you really want to do. Follow your mind and do what will make you happy. At least, you would take all responsibilities because you did what you chose.

Good luck.
Re: Pls Advise: Elect or Computer? by Plutarch: 11:17am On Dec 19, 2011
@op, i would advise u to go 4 elect. EE with relevant IT certificatns can apply to nearly every place a comp science or eng graduate can apply to.
The choice is your anyway. However i disagree with those saying that comp sci is rubbish. No respectable company anywhere will give its IT positions to non comp sci,comp eng or ee grads. This shows that there is something taught in that class that cant be gotten @ niit,karox etc. Even Mark Zuckerberg went to Harvard n MIT just last month to recruit fresh cs grads

But frankly cs is not @ its best in Nig. I strongly believe that an engineering graduate by global standard is NOT in anyway better than a cs or ce grad in Nig

(1) (Reply)

Lessons Nigerian Entreprenuers Can Learn From India / Export Formally With Mastering Of Incoterms / United Nations University Scholarships For Developing Country Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.