Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,544 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students (8957 Views)

Photos: 4 Nigerian Students Found Dead In An Apartment In Georgia / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by Ovularia: 5:23pm On Dec 17, 2011
Our raw deal in the hands of Malaysian Police, by Nigerian students
By Gbenga Aderanti 17 hours 13 minutes ago
Font size:

Some Malaysian policemen
They grumble almost on a daily basis after suffering one form of humiliation or the other. Yet the majority of them find it extremely difficult to leave the hostile environment in Malaysia and head back home. That is the sad story of many Nigerians who are resident in Malaysia , particularly the students who are undergoing studies in various fields.
The number of Nigerian youths in Malaysia is estimated at about 4,000. This, of course, is unofficial, as many of them had entered the country illegally. But each time the Malaysian Police strike, both the saints and the sinners suffer.
The recent clamp down on Nigerians in the far east country was not only painful but humiliating. Neither the host schools nor the Nigerian High Commission in Malaysia could do anything to help the situation. The operation, codenamed ‘OPS TIONG’, involved many security agencies in Malaysia. It lasted for more than five hours from dusk to dawn. It was a raid Nigerian students in the country would not forget in a hurry. No fewer than 12 of them spent 11 torturous days in the Malaysian cell.
For one of the detained students, Nkem Okpa Obaji, who arrived the country in 2007, and currently a research student at the Institute of Technology Management of the Universiti Teknologi, Malaysia, life could not be more cruel. He was arrested in his sitting room around 11.35 pm on November 21, while he was watching a football match. It was a baptism of fire.
According to Obaji, he had never imagined that he could be subjected to such an inhuman treatment in his entire life. By the time it dawned on him that he would be sleeping in the cell, his psyche was dealt a big blow. He said it was the first time he would be arrested by the Police.
Obaji, who is billed to complete his studies in Malaysia in 2014, said he informed the Nigerian High Commission in Malaysia that some Nigerians, including himself, had been arrested, but he was disappointed with the response he got.
He said: “The first day we were put in cell, I called the High Commission. I told them that there was a massive arrest of Nigerians, including myself, the previous night. But the respondent told me that the High Commission could not do anything unless the Police informed them.”
While Obaji would not confirm or deny that some Nigerians are engaged in shady deals in the Asian country, he believes that the Police in the country had not been fair to Africans, especially Nigerians. “When policemen came to our apartment, they told us that the locals complained that some Africans were disturbing their neighbourhood and that was why they came. I feel they are unfair to Africans in general and Nigerians in particular. Also, majority of the locals don’t like Nigerians,” he said.
The university was said to have pledged to take up the matter with the security agency that arrested the students. In the report he was asked to submit to the university on the incident, a copy of which was made available to The Nation, Obaji wrote: “A team of policemen invaded our apartment at Ampang shortly after we finished watching the Indonesia – Malaysia football match of the South East Asia (SEA) 2011 Games.
“They searched the three rooms of our flat and the sitting room but did not find anything incriminating. They told us that they came because they received reports from the locals that some Africans living within the Condominium were disturbing.
“We told them that we were all students, but they queried, ‘If you are students, why do you have refrigerators in every room and how come you have 27 inches flat screen television?’ They also asked why almost everybody had laptop computers.
“Meanwhile, when they came in, there were two laptop computers in use. One of my flat mates was using his own in the sitting room where he was googling a particular topic relating to his school examination, which he was supposed to take at 10 am the next day, which he definitely missed as a result of our incarceration.
“They demanded for our International passports in order to determine the validity of our visas. These we presented to them and they verified their authenticity through phone calls to the Immigration Headquarters. They eventually confirmed that our passports were valid.
“While the verification was still going on, local journalists bumped into the house and started covering the incident. When we understood some of the Malay words (e.g. tipu and menipu) used by the journalists during the coverage, we sharply resisted the coverage and drew the attention of the police team. Immediately, the journalists stopped the coverage and went outside the door.
“After this, the team wanted to check all our laptop computers in the house, but suddenly, another police officer, who claimed to be their boss, came in and told them that all of us would be going to the station where they would check our laptops, visas and urine, and that if no problem was found, we would immediately be released. So, they brought out handcuffs and chained all of us together. The whole event depicted the slave trade era.
“As we were about to leave the front door of our flat, cameramen started taking pictures and recording us, which we protested against. Unfortunately for us, we were already in chains and we couldn’t do much.
“When we got downstairs, we found that other Africans were already inside their vehicles. When they found that the vehicles would not be enough for all of us, they called for the Black Maria. When the Black Maria came, they transferred all of us into it and zoomed off in a convoy to a location we all thought to be Bukit Aman Police Headquarters. But in the morning, we were told that the place was Police Training School at Jalan Semarak opposite UTM City Campus, KL.
“When we got to the training school, they just dumped us on the cold floor of the hall with the handcuffs still on all of us and started doing our documentation, which lasted up till 10 am the next day. After that, they took us back to Ampang Jaya Police Station. In the course of the documentation, they called us one by one and hung a tag around our neck with Bukit Aman inscription and assigned a number which ended with “/2011”. They asked each of us in turn to hold the tag while they took our pictures both in Portrait and landscape formats.
“At the Training School, we saw other Africans arrested who were from other parts of KL which include among others, Cheras, Kepong, Pandah Indah, Sentul.
“When we arrived at the Ampang Jaya Police Station, they removed the handcuffs and registered our personal belongings like phones, wallets, belts and shoes. After that, they put us in the cell.
“It the cell, on the first and second days, the tap flowed. But after the second day, there was no more water. After every meal, they gave some inmates who were lucky to get a small quantity of water in a water proof plastic bag to flush the toilet and clean up.
“They served us little quantity of rice every day. In some cases, especially in the morning, one slice of bread and a sachet of local flavoured drinks, which contains a lot of sugar, which is against what most of us need in our system. All through our incarceration, they didn’t give us even a drop of drinking water.
“On Monday November 28, 2011, they brought us to the investigation office where we met for the first time the police officer in charge of the case. She called us one after the other to provide our basic information like name, nationality, passport number, name of school, family background, etc. After that, they took us back into the cell.
“On Wednesday November 30, 2011 , she called us again to the investigation room and checked our passports/visas and informed us that she would be going to Putrajaya for the verification of our visas and passports.
“On Thursday December 1, 2011, around 6 pm, they called us to meet the Investigation Officer in the investigation room. At this time, she told us that we had been released but that our registered belongings, including our mobile phones, wallets and house keys would be collected the next day as the office where our belongings were had closed for the day.
“On Friday December 2, 2011 , around 9.am, we went to the Ampang Jaya Police Station and collected our registered belongings. On the same Friday December 2, 2011, around 6.pm, we went to the Bukit Indah Police Station to pick our laptop computers.”
Obaji said he was still trying to get back to his normal mental state, which he said was “bruised as a result of the incarceration. In my wildest dream, I never expected myself to be in that kind of situation.”
Another student, Wole, (surname withheld), expressed fear over the hostile attitude to blacks and Nigerians in particular. According him, while the raid was going on, the security agencies involved invited journalists from the print and electronic media to record the proceedings.
“My colleagues were handcuffed and hurled into a Black Maria like common criminals. These are students with valid papers. Despite having valid visas, some were kept in police net for 10 days before they were released,” he said.
Wole, who is currently a Ph.D. student in one of the leading universities, was miffed over the way the whole matter was handled by the High Commission. He said things could have been better if the High Commission had acted promptly. “Our embassy refused to help these people despite the fact that those who were arrested registered with the embassy. Malaysian security agents are out to tarnish the image of Nigerians in Malaysia,” he added.
All efforts made by one of the universities to vouch for one of the students were said to have been rebuffed by the Police.
Wole said the authorities at the Universiti Teknologi , Malaysia , called the Police but they refused to entertain their plea. “Universiti Teknologi, Malaysia , is ranked No.1 in Malaysia. There, you see many Nigerians,” said Wole.
Wole is constantly living in fear because Malaysian security agents would come down on them if their names and photographs are published in the newspapers.
As if to confirm the alleged contempt the Malaysian authorities have for Nigerians, the security agents allegedly refused to apologise to the unjustly detained Nigerians, even when they did not find anything incriminating on them.
A new twist was added to the arrest saga when Orugo, a Ph.D. graduate who had been at the forefront of the battle for the release of the detained students was arrested a few day after the 12 detained Nigerians were released. Orugo, who got a very outstanding award for his performance in the Ph.D. class, was himself allegedly detained for five days. It took the intervention of his lawyer to get him off the hook of the Malaysian security agents. As a measure of appreciation of his brilliant performance, The Nation gathered that Orugo has been engaged to lecture at the Universiti Kebangsaan.
However, some sources said while the Malaysian security agents should be blamed for allegedly irrational arrests, the attitude of some Nigerians leaves much to be desired. Early this month, a 32-year-old Nigerian, whom the Malaysian Police accused of dealing in illegal drugs, was shot dead on his hospital bed. According to a report, the Malaysian Police said they did so in self-defence because the Nigerian allegedly ran amok and overpowered a policeman.
In October 2007, two Nigerian students were found dead in their rooms. The two were business information systems freshmen. Though described as brilliant by the authorities of the school, some argued that they were probably killed by an overdose of drugs.
Some Nigerians in Malaysia are believed to sometimes make life difficult for those with genuine intentions. A Nigerian was once reported to have connived with his Malaysian girlfriend to fake her (girlfriend’s) kidnap. According to the report, the Malaysian lady and her Nigerian boyfriend were arrested by security agents for an alleged attempt to get a ransom of US$500,000 (N76, 124,988) from her father.
The cry of persecution by some Nigerians also attracted condemnation from a student, Paul (not real name), who is currently undergoing a Ph.D. programme in Malaysia . He was a lecturer in one of the private universities in Nigeria before he left for Malaysia. Paul disagreed with the arrested students. According to him, “Malaysians are good to us. Some of these Nigerians constitute a nuisance here. It is so bad that it is difficult to greet your fellow Nigerians, even if they have their papers. They actually need to arrest those Nigerians,” he submitted.
When this reporter told him that the arrested people have valid papers, he said curtly: “If they have their papers, they (Police) will never do that to them. Ask them what they are doing in Malaysia.”
He said he would probably do worse than the Police if he were a part of the system. “I would have probably done worse. I just hate some of these Nigerians. They make life difficult for us, doing all manner of rubbish,” he said.
Meanwhile, in spite of the negative perception, some of the students are doing quite well. For example, in October, this year, 51 Nigerians bagged Ph.D, while 36 successfully completed their Master’s degree. One of them, Khadija Adedoyin Opatokun, who graduated with M.Ed in Education Administration, earned the best Master’s Student Award of the institute of education in one of the universities.
A message was sent to both the Nigerian High Commission in Malaysia and the Malaysian High Commission in Nigeria for their official comments on the allegedly indiscriminate arrest of the Nigerian students, but at the time of filing this report, there had not been any response from either of them.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/30059-our-raw-deal-in-the-hands-of-malaysian-police-by-nigerian-students.html
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by tpia5: 5:28pm On Dec 17, 2011
i hope nigeria is not finished.

someone went to malaysia to get a masters in education administration?
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by OAM4J: 5:49pm On Dec 17, 2011
Na wa!

---------------> Travel Section
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by otokx(m): 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2011
What are Nigerians doing in Malaysia? What is education administration? The students if they are so aggrieved can petition the Ministry of foreign affairs for a recall of the high commissioner.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
otokx:

What are Nigerians doing in Malaysia? What is education administration? The students if they are so aggrieved can petition the Ministry of foreign affairs for a recall of the high commissioner.

Recall indeed, majority of pple who commented on that article don't feel sorry for those Nigerians, if some Nigerians can't keep their hands off crime then their sins will affect innocent ones.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by llbhuds: 8:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
tpia@:

i hope nigeria is not finished.

someone went to malaysia to get a masters in education administration?

soon nigerians will come on NL and ask how to go abroad for secondary schl education and hustle grin.
as for me oooo, the action of the high commission is not at new thing na unless if he or she is not a nigerian
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
Whao! As much as this treatment was unfair. . .can you really blame them? Seriously! I stayed in Malaysia for three years and the attitude of most Nigerians there was just terrible! Not saying that there were no good Nigerians. . .but when majority of the bunch do nothing but cause trouble and give Nigeria a bad reputation can you really blame these Malaysians? Even I as a Nigerian I tried to avoid most of them like a plague because they were nothing but trouble! Talk more of a Malaysian. . .

The report of their neighbors saying they were disturbing. . .I will not be surprised if there is some truth to it! Most condominiums have rules! You are not supposed to be too loud or throw house parties past a certain time! and before you move in you are made aware of these rules! But trust Nigerians with their  lawless attitude. . .they make so much noise and disturb the whole neighborhood. . . I remember staying at a condominium one time. . .I was on the 2nd floor and there were Nigerians staying on the 5th floor but I could always hear them from my floor. . .that's how loud they were. . . the security guards were always going to knock at their door because they were always being reported by the neighbors for making so much noise. . .

I also remember a raid that happened once at a condominium I was staying at. . . . .The police came to take Nigerians that stayed at the condominium. . .both girls and boys were taken. . .I wasn't aware that a raid was going on. . .It was later at night I went to get some groceries and I saw a friend. . .he was telling me that there was a raid on Nigerians staying at the condominium and some people were taken away. . .I told him I wasn't aware because I was napping at the time the raid happened. . .he said it was the security guards in the condominium who showed them the flats Nigerians were staying at. . .now its funny that they never knocked on my door and some other people who were also Nigerians. . .which means they protected me and others from whatever could have happened based on the fact that we were never known to be loud or cause any trouble in the condominium. . .

sometimes we might not be aware of it but our attitudes are being watched by others. . .when you try to avoid trouble and your careful of the company you keep then trouble doesn't just seek you out. . .but Nigerians go about acting like they own the country and they above the law in another man's country? So if we being really truthful can you really blame these Malaysians?

Based on my experience. . .I think Malaysia is a beautiful country. . .Its a place you would truly enjoy if your sole aim of going there is to study or visit. . . .but its unfortunate that these bad eggs have given us such a bad reputation that its so difficult to tell the good ones from the bad bunch. . .Its so unfortunate for the good ones. . .but I guess its a cross they have to bear. . .
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 9:42pm On Dec 17, 2011
ThoniaSlim:

Whao! As much as this treatment was unfair. . .can you really blame them? Seriously! I stayed in Malaysia for three years and the attitude of most Nigerians there was just terrible! Not saying that there were no good Nigerians. . .but when majority of the bunch do nothing but cause trouble and give Nigeria a bad reputation can you really blame these Malaysians? Even I as a Nigerian I tried to avoid most of them like a plague because they were nothing but trouble! Talk more of a Malaysian. . .

The report of their neighbors saying they were disturbing. . .I will not be surprised if there is some truth to it! Most condominiums have rules! You are not supposed to be too loud or throw house parties past a certain time! and before you move in you are made aware of these rules! But trust Nigerians with their  lawless attitude. . .they make so much noise and disturb the whole neighborhood. . . I remember staying at a condominium one time. . .I was on the 2nd floor and there were Nigerians staying on the 5th floor but I could always hear them from my floor. . .that's how loud they were. . . the security guards were always going to knock at their door because they were always being reported by the neighbors for making so much noise. . .

I also remember a raid that happened once at a condominium I was staying at. . . . .The police came to take Nigerians that stayed at the condominium. . .both girls and boys were taken. . .I wasn't aware that a raid was going on. . .It was later at night I went to get some groceries and I saw a friend. . .he was telling me that there was a raid on Nigerians staying at the condominium and some people were taken away. . .I told him I wasn't aware because I was napping at the time the raid happened. . .he said it was the security guards in the condominium who showed them the flats Nigerians were staying at. . .now its funny that they never knocked on my door and some other people who were also Nigerians. . .which means they protected me and others from whatever could have happened based on the fact that we were never known to be loud or cause any trouble in the condominium. . .

sometimes we might not be aware of it but our attitudes are being watched by others. . .when you try to avoid trouble and your careful of the company you keep then trouble doesn't just seek you out. . .but Nigerians go about acting like they own the country and they above the law in another man's country? So if we being really truthful can you really blame these Malaysians?

Based on my experience. . .I think Malaysia is a beautiful country. . .Its a place you would truly enjoy if your sole aim of going there is to study or visit. . . .but its unfortunate that these bad eggs have given us such a bad reputation that its so difficult to tell the good ones from the bad bunch. . .Its so unfortunate for the good ones. . .but I guess its a cross they have to bear. . .

Sadly that is the case.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
Quick cash and easy money. They want to "Hammer" and come intimidate their fellas with their new found "swagga".   What is a student doing with 27" inch television?  Just to impress his mates or visitors?

They got to be sensitive to their environment,people and the culture of the society they find themselves in. In all honesty, some of our people can be very arrogant and lawless.

Anyways, the good Nigerians in the diaspora need to summon up courage and put these bag apples in check. When I was out, we did it in our school and it worked. In fact, we even got the dean of international student affairs sacked( a native of the country), who were issuing bogus admission letters to his collaborators to bring in more "students" for money. Oh, we were threatened and harassed by our fellow countrymen- the bad apples. It only emboldened us more.

Until a courageous move is taken by the diaspora community, such menace will continue and innocent Nigerians will also bear the brunt.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by tpia5: 2:35am On Dec 18, 2011
Smh.

Of course money has to be at the root of all this.

The fact is there is no country in the world without beauty but it boggles the mind that nigerians are running to malaysia in search of education?

Is malaysia replacing eastern europe or is it that the population of nigerian youths has skyrocketed beyond the number of schools in the country?

Somehow i dont feel that's the case. More like its simply easier to ship people out and besides some people are making a living out of it.

Well, everyone has to eat one way or another i suppose.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by wanaj0: 10:02am On Dec 18, 2011
tpia@:

Smh.

Of course money has to be at the root of all this.

The fact is there is no country in the world without beauty but it boggles the mind that nigerians are running to malaysia in search of education?

Is malaysia replacing eastern europe or is it that the population of nigerian youths has skyrocketed beyond the number of schools in the country?

Somehow i dont feel that's the case. More like its simply easier to ship people out and besides some people are making a living out of it.

Well, everyone has to eat one way or another i suppose.

Very FEW are genuine students. They all came with student visa but studying nothing.

The locals are so enraged with the attitudes of Nigerians. We've exported all the ills of Nigeria to Malaysia. Malaysia is not heaven but it is a better organised society with some values. Unfortunately, Nigerians are 'opening their eyes'. Nigerians are Iranians seems to control the drug business. Nigerians control the 'black money'. Everybody claim to be a student but they ride cars, go clubbing, organise parties and spray money. Everyone has come to the conclusion that most if not all Nigerians are into shady deals. We are hated in virtually every country and we need to ask ourselves why?

Soon they will start to raid the Nigerian 'churches' tongue

There is a protest planned for tomorrow. See details:

Nigerians in Malaysia Peaceful march to Nigeria Embassy in Kuala Lumpur on Monday 19th December 2011,10am prompt: Please be part of the historic mission to stop the racial and inhuman treatment been melted on Nigerians and other blacks in Malaysia by the Malaysian authorities. A situation where a legal immigrant house is burgled in the middle of Night(all in the name of raid) , only to received sorry after due verification is anti human right and should be resisted by all on sundry--- If you believe in human right share it on your wall
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by wanaj0: 10:07am On Dec 18, 2011
BTW, the Malaysian schools are accomplice in the crime. The admission is for SALE! Once you have the money, they give you admission and you are process your student visa for you! That's why the police dont listen to whatever the schools say nowadays.

There are few Nigerian professionals and GENUINE students. Truth however is that MOST are into shady deals.

Hopefully the current clampdown will sanitise KL. Same way Singapore basically chased Nigerians out of Singapore. We are gradually getting close to the same thing in Malaysia.

Unfortunately, when the wicked are punished the innocent also suffer.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 3:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
When we schooled in USA we drove big cars and changed cars frequently, we had 52" TVs, we had all sort of electronics, we dated their girls, we partied in our houses. At one point a neighbor called the police to shut our loud music at a friends' house, they just told us to lower the music and left. When we got pulled over they don't ask us how we got this or that they just give us citation if necessary and off we go. When any of us is locked up we post bail and the person is released immediately. The story goes on and on.

My advice to Nigerians please stay away from Malaysia good or bad. If you can't stay in Nigeria, go to other African countries that you can rub shoulders with your fellow blacks. Angola, SA are all good places.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
dell_net:

When we schooled in USA we drove big cars and changed cars frequently, we had 52" TVs, we had all sort of electronics, we dated their girls, we partied in our houses. At one point a neighbor called the police to shut our loud music at a friends' house, they just told us to lower the music and left. When we got pulled over they don't ask us how we got this or that they just give us citation if necessary and off we go. When any of us is locked up we post bail and the person is released immediately. The story goes on and on.

My advice to Nigerians please stay away from Malaysia good or bad. If you can't stay in Nigeria, go to other African countries that you can rub shoulders with your fellow blacks. Angola, SA are all good places.

. . . and who told you that Nigerians have good reputation in those countries? Is it about running away from Malaysia or about keeping off crime?

Do you think Malaysian will beg Nigerians to come back if all Nigerians decided to leave Malaysia?

2 Likes

Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 5:37pm On Dec 19, 2011
It is more of staying away from Malaysia because it is a racist country, they can't separate the criminals from the non-criminals, now every Nigerian is a target there, why risk it? For those that are genuine students should stay away from there and look else.

If all Nigerians leave I know for sure the economy will shake especially the immigration and education sector.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 5:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
dell_net:

It is more of staying away from Malaysia because it is a racist country, they can't separate the criminals from the non-criminals, now every Nigerian is a target there, why risk it? For those that are genuine students should stay away from there and look else.

If all Nigerians leave I know for sure the economy will shake especially the immigration and education sector.

Tell me a single country in the world where Nigerians are wanted or welcomed with an open arm? Nigerians departing Malaysia will not have any noticeable effect on their economy.

There are alot of Nigerians living in Malaysia who have never had any issue with the authority, so lets not generalise.

1 Like

Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 6:59pm On Dec 19, 2011
In America they could care less where you come from I don't know how it is in UK. Trust me if all Nigerians should leave Malaysia there will be a change in the education sector. My friend in Malaysia said they raided their campus and now he is afraid to go out because he does not want to encounter the police, not that he is illegal but he said he just don't need the delay and abuse. The questioning arising in Malaysia is "how can these students own these sort of things?" they just don't believe it that Africans are that rich. The general view of blacks in South East Asia or Asia as a whole is a derogatory view. The whole thing is generalized now they don't care if you are legit or not, as long as you are Nigerian they look at you with that dimmed eyes. To them black is evil etc. Just look at how they treat the Indian-Malaysians in Malaysia. They have no standing in the eyes of the society. They say if you see a snake and an Indian, kill the Indian and let the snake go. So imagine. . .

I am telling you all these from my personal experience, so Africans should just forget about SE Asia. Just check something out in Thailand, African nationals are subject to additional checking by the immigration while other National don't experience it. Seriously enough is enough I am tired of living in a foreign land looking for cheap. As well Nigerians should ignore that cheap education in Malaysia and look for proper place to be educated.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 7:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
dell_net:

In America they could care less where you come from I don't know how it is in UK. Trust me if all Nigerians should leave Malaysia there will be a change in the education sector. My friend in Malaysia said they raided their campus and now he is afraid to go out because he does not want to encounter the police, not that he is illegal but he said he just don't need the delay and abuse. The questioning arising in Malaysia is "how can these students own these sort of things?" they just don't believe it that Africans are that rich. The general view of blacks in South East Asia or Asia as a whole is a derogatory view. The whole thing is generalized now they don't care if you are legit or not, as long as you are Nigerian they look at you with that dimmed eyes. To them black is evil etc. Just look at how they treat the Indian-Malaysians in Malaysia. They have no standing in the eyes of the society. They say if you see a snake and an Indian, kill the Indian and let the snake go. So imagine. . .

I am telling you all these from my personal experience, so Africans should just forget about SE Asia. Just check something out in Thailand, African nationals are subject to additional checking by the immigration while other National don't experience it. Seriously enough is enough I am tired of living in a foreign land looking for cheap. As well Nigerians should ignore that cheap education in Malaysia and look for proper place to be educated.

Do you know the problem i have reading from people like you? You are running away from the main issue here, you can peddle this one-sided view of the issue as much as you like but IF we Nigerians refused to stop committing all sorts of hideous crime in foreign countries then we will be tar with the same brush.

If all Nigerians left Malaysia and the crime rate goes down that can only be a good thing for their image and tourism.

Just visit job section of nairaland and see how many fake job adverts by Nigerians just to scam job seekers.

I don't know a single country in the world where Nigerians are not being regarded as bunch of crooks, yes alot of Nigerians are decent hard working individuals but a few of us have done the damage
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2011
Is it only Nigerians that commit crime in the world? come to Thailand and see the rate of crimes committed by foreigners, me if you ask me I will say is a black thing and inferior versus superior thing, they look at us as inferior and we look at them as easy ticket to make money and they get caught off guard, I am sure this is what is behind most Nigerians living abroad that "these places are easy and a fast way to make money good or bad".

People come on here and post Nigerians why not post Criminals or Nigerian Criminals, this is what is pissing me off. If you post Nigerians you generalize the whole thing. Nigerian criminals are scamming Nigerians themselves but that is not the view if you are a Nigerian here you are part of it. This is travel section not crime section and anything here should be related to travel advisory, for me criminals or not criminals I will advice people to stay away from places like Malaysia.

You see now you are already misjudging and feeling inferior about the issue what evidence do you have that these guys are truly criminals? So you want to tell me that the population of Nigerian Criminals in Malaysia is more than the legit Nigerians? If so then I blame their system which I have already pointed out in previous posts that there are so much flaws in it.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 8:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
dell_net:

Is it only Nigerians that commit crime in the world? come to Thailand and see the rate of crimes committed by foreigners, me if you ask me I will say is a black thing and inferior versus superior thing, they look at us as inferior and we look at them as easy ticket to make money and they get caught off guard, I am sure this is what is behind most Nigerians living abroad that "these places are easy and a fast way to make money good or bad".

People come on here and post Nigerians why not post Criminals or Nigerian Criminals, this is what is pissing me off. If you post Nigerians you generalize the whole thing. Nigerian criminals are scamming Nigerians themselves but that is not the view if you are a Nigerian here you are part of it. This is travel section not crime section and anything here should be related to travel advisory, for me criminals or not criminals I will advice people to stay away from places like Malaysia.

You see now you are already misjudging and feeling inferior about the issue what evidence do you have that these guys are truly criminals? So you want to tell me that the population of Nigerian Criminals in Malaysia is more than the legit Nigerians? If so then I blame their system which I have already pointed out in previous posts that there are so much flaws in it.

If Malaysians are treating Nigerians badly because of colour of our skin and not because of crime, how about other countries? How about South Africa, Ghana, UK, USA? . . . the list goes on.

I'm not feeling inferior by any means, i'm basically telling you something you probably doesn't want to hear. Countries around the world can not deliberately gang-up against Nigerians, i ask you again, where in the world do we have clean record?

You can't swipe it under the carpet and pretend that they hate us cos we are black. . nonsense!! there are black/Nigerians living happily round the world and command respect.

How about back home? No yahoo yahoo/ 419ners stealing from follow Nigerians?

Its good to have a thread like this in travel section to warn people who are planning to travel to those countries to 'hustle'

2 Likes

Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dancewith: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
It is actually a major flaw in the Malay's justice system to swipe every Nigerian with the huge criminal brush. It is unacceptable and unjust. Should you be a victim you may understand the humiliation that it entails. Using the vague description 'most Nigerians', 'almost all', is attempting to defend the indefensible

I am sure there are several Nigerian criminals in the UK yet their cops don't raid Nigerian students and brutalize them all in the name of fishing out Nigerian criminals and gangs. The Malay cop's action is nothing short of barbarism, racist and a breach of all known international and diplomatic conventions.

I am surprised the FG had not deemed it fit to protest the humiliation of her citizens. The High Commissioner has chosen to look the other way while this is happening. Well, good for him. Someday his sibling or children will be so treated by some foreigners using this as a precedent

If their justice system is anything feasible, fishing the real criminals out will all but settle issues but no, they had to disgrace as many of the 'infidels' as possible. I blame those going there to study, the certs obviously does not worth the ink used to print them. In a way, their system is as broken as ours and any attempt to justify their barbaric action is simply as disgraceful as their actions
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dustydee: 7:29am On Dec 20, 2011
Our govt has to respond to this appropriately. If you don't find incriminating evidence against someone then you don't detain him, not for eleven days. I bet you those in support of this will not find it funny if this was done to them.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by wanaj0: 9:06am On Dec 20, 2011
Maybe we should start by asking how come it is Nigerians and not Sudanese, Kenyans, Zambians, etc. How come it is ONLY Nigerians that EVERY country seems to discriminate against?

We always try to shy away from the truth living in denial.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 9:26am On Dec 20, 2011
wanaj0:

Maybe we should start by asking how come it is Nigerians and not Sudanese, Kenyans, Zambians, etc. How come it is ONLY Nigerians that EVERY country seems to discriminate against?

Thank you!! each time a story like this comes up some people jump into racist bang wagon, why mostly Nigerians in almost every country in the world? When majority of people from a particular country are involved in crime, the consequences sadly will affect almost everybody from that country.

I feel sorry for innocent ones who were wrongly arrested but that is the price we pay for having dubious country men/women.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dancewith: 10:54am On Dec 20, 2011
wanaj0:

You may be the one living in denial. Ask yourself the number of those nationals you mentioned that live in Malaysia. Nigeria is a country of 140 million folks (albeit maybe more than 200m). This is the same problem India and China have and you will find that these overpopulated countries tend to export human resources more than others (with the possible exception of the United States)

I have come to realise that the Chinese and Indians are worse criminals than Nigerians but the society is prone to rush to negative publicity (especially in the west) when the crime involves blacks. Now Malaysia has taken it to a whole new levels and it seems ok with some folks here.

It is immaterial if they were after Nigerian criminals. When they chose to arrest and brutalize any Nigerian due to the activities of others, they have lost the moral and diplomatic right to claim self righteousness. Two wrongs cannot make a right. I won't believe only Nigerian nationals commit crime in Malaysia but these other nationals don't get to have their citizens brutalized for crimes their criminals committed. This is what is called selective justice and designed to emotionally degrade a certain race. Germans used this method to start the Jewish extermination attempt under Hitler and in Russia under Stalin.

If your argument is reasonable, it means the next time you vacation in Malaysia with your family it will be acceptable for the Malay police to bundle you and your wife into jail for a few nights simply because you are carrying the green passport and a few greenbacks as some Nigerians just committed a crime across the block.

I do not have much sympathy for criminals but no one has the right, even remotely to class all Nigerians as criminals and treat them accordingly simply because of some dumb stereotype. If you chose to throw away your dignity on account of others actions, that is you and foreigners will treat you accordingly.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by wanaj0: 11:10am On Dec 20, 2011
When Nigerians DESTROYED their own countries and now moved to other countries to continue the destructive tendencies dont think others will stand bye and watch. If we've dealt with the BAD eggs in our midst we will not become the object of ridicule to the whole world.

As at 2008, Nigerians do not need a visa to visit Singapore BUT now the story has changed. We should be asking what made the Singaporeans to turn against Nigerians? Singapore now have SPECIAL visa requirements for Nigerians. Before Malaysians will give Nigerians one month visa but now maximum you will get is 14days with no extension. Other African countries get one month even with possibility for extension!

I know a Malaysian woman who was approached in Church by a Nigerian student. The excuse was that he was expecting his school fees and he needed an account that they can pay it in to. The 'racist' woman gave the boy the account number, money was paid into the account and was handed over to the boy. That was the last time the boy was in the church. Not long police came looking for the woman to explain the source of the money and what was done to it. The woman explained her side of the story only for the police to explain to her that her account was used to launder money! What do you think will be the reaction of the woman when next she comes in contact with a genuine Nigerian student making a similar request? If I know 10 Nigerians are 9 of them are criminally minded, then I will assume that 90% of Nigerians are criminals. That's what you use population sample for. Unfortunately, we seem to have a LARGE sample of criminals in Malaysia.

If Malaysians are racist are what will you say of South Africans, Kenyans etc. Even out there in Ghana we are not loved! Are they racist also? Are Nigerians the only BLACK people? Like they say, Bad people have spoilt the reputation of good people. Most Nigerians that Malaysians come in contact with everyday are into criminal activities. Most claim to be students but only very few are GENUINE students. Read through this site and you will see how people are planning to go to Malaysia to 'hustle'. We thrive and celebrate criminality! Just go through this forum and you will be shocked!

NB: Malaysians treat Indonesians in the same way. They've reduced visa for Indonesian women when they found out that they were mainly involved in prostitution. I see them clamping down on the Vietnamese to.

No one is saying that ONLY Nigerians are criminals. However while other nations hide to do their crimes we throw parties to celebrate it.

Of course everyone will claim innocence but the truth is clear for everyone to see!

dancewith:

You may be the one living in denial. Ask yourself the number of those nationals you mentioned that live in Malaysia. Nigeria is a country of 140 million folks (albeit maybe more than 200m). This is the same problem India and China have and you will find that these overpopulated countries tend to export human resources more than others (with the possible exception of the United States)

I have come to realise that the Chinese and Indians are worse criminals than Nigerians but the society is prone to rush to negative publicity (especially in the west) when the crime involves blacks. Now Malaysia has taken it to a whole new levels and it seems ok with some folks here.

It is immaterial if they were after Nigerian criminals. When they chose to arrest and brutalize any Nigerian due to the activities of others, they have lost the moral and diplomatic right to claim self righteousness. Two wrongs cannot make a right. I won't believe only Nigerian nationals commit crime in Malaysia but these other nationals don't get to have their citizens brutalized for crimes their criminals committed. This is what is called selective justice and designed to emotionally degrade a certain race. Germans used this method to start the Jewish extermination attempt under Hitler and in Russia under Stalin.

If your argument is reasonable, it means the next time you vacation in Malaysia with your family it will be acceptable for the Malay police to bundle you and your wife into jail for a few nights simply because you are carrying the green passport and a few greenbacks as some Nigerians just committed a crime across the block.

I do not have much sympathy for criminals but no one has the right, even remotely to class all Nigerians as criminals and treat them accordingly simply because of some dumb stereotype. If you chose to throw away your dignity on account of others actions, that is you and foreigners will treat you accordingly.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by alfablondy: 11:28am On Dec 20, 2011
justwise:

Do you know the problem i have reading from people like you? You are running away from the main issue here, you can peddle this one-sided view of the issue as much as you like but IF we Nigerians refused to stop committing all sorts of hideous crime in foreign countries then we will be tar with the same brush.

If all Nigerians left Malaysia and the crime rate goes down that can only be a good thing for their image and tourism.

Just visit job section of nairaland and see how many fake job adverts  by Nigerians just to scam job seekers.

I don't know a single country in the world where Nigerians are not being regarded as bunch of crooks, yes alot of Nigerians are decent hard working individuals but a few of us have done the damage

A few of you? i think you are not among them
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 12:44pm On Dec 20, 2011
@dancewith, thanks for your input. It seems you know what is going on from the inside.

@wanaj0, If you are in Malaysia you should know africans are a target at large.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 12:55pm On Dec 20, 2011
alfablondy:

A few of you? i think you are not among them

I'm not and will never be.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2011
@justwise Nigerians in America have a very clean record. I know successful and well established Nigerians whom are positively part of the society and contribute to it.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by dellnet: 1:20pm On Dec 20, 2011
wanaj0:

NB: Malaysians treat Indonesians in the same way. They've reduced visa for Indonesian women when they found out that they were mainly involved in prostitution. I see them clamping down on the Vietnamese to.

This is a lie where do you get your facts from? If you say thai women I will say yes, most indonesians I see go there to work in factories, restaurants, homes etc and they get abused sexually, mentally and physically not long ago Indonesia stopped sending maids to Malaysia, I don't know if they have settled now or not.

When singapore was asked why they stopped visa on arrival for Nigerians they could not give a definite answer but as much people were not abused in singapore as it is now in Malaysia.
Re: Our Raw Deal In The Hands Of Malaysian Police, By Nigerian Students by justwise(m): 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2011
dell_net:

[b]@justwise Nigerians in America have a very clean record. [/b]I know successful and well established Nigerians whom are positively part of the society and contribute to it.

Oh please give me a break!!!!!. [b]S[/b]ome Nigerians in USA and not all Nigerians.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Calabar And Uyo: Comparison / Enugu Airport: Hadi Sirika Says FG Has Mobilized Contractor To Site / My First Journey To Lagos-experience And Hidden Lessons By Rocasmilatos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.