Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? (5186 Views)

f / Supreme Court Accepted Bribe From Yar'adua Campaign? (Wikileaks) / Nigeria Accepted US Army Barrack In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 3:22pm On Dec 18, 2011
Whenever I come across the issue of corruption in the country, my mind's first point of call is usually THE GOVERNMENT. But a report I once came across says that our Private sector is even more corrupt than the public sector (govt). I would have argued against it but considering the society we find ourselves where you are easily told to do it cos "every one else does it" or when it seem you want to go against the popular norm, you hear things like "This is Nigeria", am thus tempted to agree with the report.
A bribe for general knowledge here is to persuade somebody with enticement: to give somebody money or some other incentive to do something, especially something illegal or dishonest.
This means that it could include things like "runs", kickback, financial lobbyings etc

Lets answer sincerey since we have an anonymous Identity.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by efisher(m): 3:26pm On Dec 18, 2011
Fortunately for me, the answer is NO. I guess I'm just too fortunate.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 6:47pm On Dec 18, 2011
efisher:

I guess many people are not as fortunate as u else naija would've been a better place.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 6:51pm On Dec 18, 2011
efisher:

I guess many people are not as fortunate as u else naija would've been a better place.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Lasinoh: 6:57pm On Dec 18, 2011
I have given, but not chopped.
Unless you wanno miss ya flight in that phocking Lagos Airport of a Satan's pit. . . you berra give those ugly wretches called custom officers something to get the hell out of that place. Abuja all the way. . . no bribe. kiss
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by manny4life(m): 7:23pm On Dec 18, 2011
This is a tricky question, depending on the situation and what you term as "bribe", we all have given at one point in time. Lobbyist give "perks" etc, it's the motive that counts. I haven't given one per se, so NO I don't give or accept but I have given gifts for someone to expedite something for me, lol smiley smiley smiley
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 7:32pm On Dec 18, 2011
manny4life:

This is a tricky question, depending on the situation and what you term as "bribe", we all have given at one point in time. Lobbyist give "perks" etc, it's the motive that counts. I haven't given one per se, so NO I don't give or accept but I have given gifts for someone to expedite something for me, lol smiley smiley smiley

I stated what I termed a bribes in the OP; A bribe for general knowledge here is to persuade somebody with enticement: to give somebody money or some other incentive to do something, especially something illegal or dishonest.

Of course appreciating someone for being a help to you may not be a bribe but conditioning such a help on the reciept of a gift should be termed a bribe. This is just my opinion.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Beaf: 7:33pm On Dec 18, 2011
Very sadly, I have done both as a teenager and young business man. I am happy though, not to have either given or received a bribe or other inducement in the last 15 or so years.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by AfroBlue(m): 8:37pm On Dec 18, 2011
SaharaReporters travel underground in Nigeria to explore police corruption, traffic chaos and general disorder in Nigerian southern cities.

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vg9LZxQMhM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:47pm On Dec 18, 2011
whao! Truly sad and shameful! cry
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2011
@Poster, I have never taken bribe, and I have never given a bribe. But sometimes I wonder if I had been wrong in not conforming to what had become the norm in the country then.
What if I had paid tthat Naira 12,000 when the lecturer asked me to pay up if I wanted to to mark my papers . . .  Maybe I would have been a medical doctor today. And maybe I would have gotten over having to bribe someone to mark my own papers and give me my own scores(not even pad my scores oo).  But, I believe I did a good thing by standing firm on principles . . . I mean many of my peers did not think so, but I believe I did the right thing . . . even though at the end of the day, I was told I would have to go back to first year medical school(year one from year three) as a result of my 'stinginess'.  Honestly, I still battle with the what-ifs of what happened those many years ago.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, I have never taken bribe, and I have never given a bribe. But sometimes I wonder if I had been wrong in not conforming to what had become the norm in the country then.
What if I had paid tthat Naira 12,000 when the lecturer asked me to pay up if I wanted to to mark my papers . . . Maybe I would have been a medical doctor today. And maybe I would have gotten over having to bribe someone to mark my own papers and give me my own scores(not even pad my scores oo). But, I believe I did a good thing to stand firm on my principles . . . even though at the end of the day, I was told I would have to go back to first year medical school(year one from year three) as a result of my 'stinginess'. Honestly, I still battle the what-ifs to this day.

Its a painful one indeed but am sure there must hv been a certain conviction u had then that made you reject it, Surely time will prove u right. Am currently facing a similar situation bt I'v chosen not to yield even if I gain nothing else bt my Conscience.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by xtianh(m): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
@junkie. Wow ur story is quit serious, 90% of nigerians will pay that money as lng as they have it, For me, i have never collected bribe frm anyone but i thnk i have "settled" at some instance, I was cought by the police with my laptop, unfortunately i forget the receipt at home.nd i cant go hme so i had to settle them there, so i can go on with ma journey. At some point here in Nigeria u need to bribe smeone b4 u can get what is rightfully urs.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Ibime(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2011
I gave my only bribe at the age of 12 to buy my Junior WAEC papers in 1995. Never given a bribe since except to let olokpa allow me to get from A to B.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Seun(m): 8:55am On Dec 19, 2011
There' a difference between giving a bribe and being extorted.  If you're forced to pay for something that's supposed to be free, I don't think you are doing anything wrong by complying.  For example, if you're arrested for no sensible reason and forced to pay "bail" to be freed, you're just a victim of extortion.  In my opinion, bribery would be when you give money to an official to break the law or to get something that's you're not supposed to have according to the law.  So you shouldn't feel guilty about paying up when bribes are demanded for something you should get for free.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Baawaa(m): 9:13am On Dec 19, 2011
Directly or indirectly u cant escape it in nig
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Softmojo(m): 9:13am On Dec 19, 2011
Would say NO. Except u want to consider Police extortion as bribe.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by numo86(m): 9:14am On Dec 19, 2011
i wuld say i have given but i'v never recieved a bribe, i dont rili know if i can call it a bribe, mayb u guys can help me define it, a lecturer coerced all of us in my class to pay some compulsory cash to pass his course, i'm 1 of d best students in my department,but still had to pay to make sure d guy didnt victimize me, infact almost all in my class had to pay, those who didnt pay got a very big F9,
@poster, wuld u call that a bribe??i jus dnt know how to define it, its been troubling me for a while now
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by ireke(m): 9:33am On Dec 19, 2011
@ Seun - Thanks for the clarification jare. Most people don't know the difference between bribery and extortion. However, I still doff my hat to some folks that would not even succumb to extortion. I try to stand against extortion once in a while but I try to be sure that I am safe (from police and the consequence of the refusal) while doing that.

I have been extorted severally and I think looking back, I have given a few bribes too. I just did one yesterday. I had to take a short cut via an estate to avoid the traffic at the toll gate and the well known alternative to the toll point. SO I had to dash one gateman some bucks to allow me enter a road that reduced my journey by more than 30 minutes.

I have never recieved a bribe and I don't see myself receiving one ordinarily. May God not allow me to see the temptation o.

Bribery has no justification.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by slap1(m): 9:51am On Dec 19, 2011
Seun:

There' a difference between giving a bribe and being extorted.  If you're forced to pay for something that's supposed to be free, I don't think you are doing anything wrong by complying.  For example, if you're arrested for no sensible reason and forced to pay "bail" to be freed, you're just a victim of extortion.  In my opinion, bribery would be when you give money to an official to break the law or to get something that's you're not supposed to have according to the law.  So you shouldn't feel guilty about paying up when bribes are demanded for something you should get for free.
Yes, I'm usually a victim of this: finance officer in school asking for money before I can change my bank draft to receipt, lecturers asking for a certain amount before they give you a test, etc.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by logica(m): 9:58am On Dec 19, 2011
If you've ever driven around on Nigerian roads, I don't know how you can stay "corruption-free". While you can argue about extortion (since most times the excuses for impounding your car are flimsy) you just have to agree that you are sometimes on the wrong. For instance I had a car that I didn't even know was tinted neither did I know there was a law on tinted windows. In the eye of the law, ignorance is not an excuse. In a country like the US you can get away with a warning, but here that's an avenue for the "arresting officer" to "chop".
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:00am On Dec 19, 2011
I dey give steady!!

I actually have a stack of 50 Naira bills in my glove compartment at all times for olopa!

But corporate bribery, NO! angry
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by superior1: 10:03am On Dec 19, 2011
I have appreciated some people in advance for the service they are to deliver in future, a kindoff abeg deliver it sharp sharp o.
Does that constitute bribe?
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by KayDee4: 10:07am On Dec 19, 2011
superior1:

I have appreciated some people in advance for the service they are to deliver in future, a kindoff abeg deliver it sharp sharp o.
Does that constitute bribe?

That is a pre-service tip. wink
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 19, 2011
Yes in my first year school.I had to sort my french lecturer for the 2 semesters.I regreted it later but it was worth it sha.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Bawss1(m): 10:14am On Dec 19, 2011
Bribe giver since 1887  cool
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by 1025: 10:15am On Dec 19, 2011
A bribe for general knowledge here is to persuade somebody with enticement: to give somebody money or some other incentive to do something, especially something illegal or dishonest.

@Original Poster,
even if what you have above is the dictionary definition of BRIBE, i urge you to find a suitable definition for the nigerian version of the word - Bribe. nigerian masses are victims of BRIBE. i was in a private car going to east one day from lagos, on getting to Benin, a policeman stopped us and demanded for all the car papers which we made available. after going through the documents, he ask, WHO IS THE AGENT THAT CLEARED THE CAR?
my friend told them the agent is in Cotonou, the policeman simply said, provide him and i will let you people go. while all these were going on, 2 hrs have gone and we were parked inside their police station and arrangements were in place to deflect our tyres pending when the agent will be provided.
uncle, what will you do in such situation? go to cotonou and bring in a foreigner and take him to Benin or arrange a N2000 bribe and go ur way?
i was in a public transport from Ijebu ode to ajah and every check point has a fix amount for the cars and as the driver pays, he will be issued the number for the day. if u are a taxi driver, will u say no and face cross examination of the nigerian police that will last five hours? at the end of the day, the owner of the car will take his car because you are not providing the required amount.
we are all victims of aso rock madness that has turned nigeria to a jungle.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 19, 2011
i dont give bribes,

i show appreciation, lol

nobody needs to form holy,

in a few cases, u could be denied what is rightfully yours,

so just pay trough, and get goin.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 19, 2011
I have given so much bribes my friend. Lastma, police and i know someday I will give to road safety. Taking bribe, yes, I used to take massive bribes from Julius Berger illegal dealers at VGC those days, but not anymore.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by nagoma(m): 10:40am On Dec 19, 2011
I dont give bribe but I pay protection money now and then to the police mafia at road blocks. It's a matter of life and death, and i'm still alive!
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Beaf: 10:58am On Dec 19, 2011
Seun:

There' a difference between giving a bribe and being extorted. If you're forced to pay for something that's supposed to be free, I don't think you are doing anything wrong by complying. For example, if you're arrested for no sensible reason and forced to pay "bail" to be freed, you're just a victim of extortion. In my opinion, bribery would be when you give money to an official to break the law or to get something that's you're not supposed to have according to the law. So you shouldn't feel guilty about paying up when bribes are demanded for something you should get for free.

There is no difference. If we stand up to the bribe extorters, no matter the pain (except life and limb are at risk), they weill no longer be able to demand routine bribes.
What we really have is an ecosystem of bribery and corruption; from the police check points to the passport office; from lecturers to invigilators. It is everywhere and our society is rightly labelled corrupt; I have long since learnt that what is normal and routine in Nigeria is absolutely shocking in almost every other country (including neighbouring Benin Republic).
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Andrew3(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2011
I gave bribe during my waec to enable me cheat tongue

I gave my junior brother a sandwich bribe not to tell ma mum that

I jumped fence and went to a night club

I gave bribe at the airport before i left the country for the first time

I gave bribe in to a russian boss not to transfer me to santiago, chile grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan To Be Sworn In Perm Sec On Friday / 20 Militants Surrender Arms In Akwa-Ibom / Checkout Striking Resemblance Between VP Yemi Osinbajo And Brother Akin Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.