Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,047 members, 7,835,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? (570 Views)

Abandonment Of 2nd Niger Bridge: South Easterners React / The Gift Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Culture And Tourism Gave To PMB (Pics) / APC Raps FG Over Abandonment Of Enugu Coal Deposit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
Owing to the recent online war between Vic O and Speedy Darlington I decided to find out who was the artiste , Speed Darlington, was. My impression of Vic O has always been that of a comic-relief rapper who took himself serially enough to believe that he had any sort of musical talent, and in doing so earned himself numerous fans---- maybe they were just appreciative of , at least, the effort he put into his "craft".

When I found out who Speed Darlington was. What I saw shocked me. If shock value was what he was going for, then, he got one out of me. However shocked I was, I honestly wasn't repulsed. I guess my shock came out of the fact that this was a fellow Nigerian brother, who (at least from his accent and mannerisms) was clearly a product of our conservative Nigerian society. If our parents, who've been here a lll these years can be as strict as they are, I can only imagine how a parent in Nigeria (without the threat of CPS, School Counsellors, Teachers or the Cops hanging over their necks) disciplines their kids. Alas, this was a product of that *"strict society" which we've always claimed to be better.

To be clear, I believe in freedom of speech and the right of a man to engage in that which would not "reasonably" offend another. Thus, I support Speed Darlington's right to put out however many racy videos he wishes. However, I also believe, very strongly, in man composing himself in a Princely manner--- even when depicting a "dirty" deed, still make it look good and not repulsive; A la Fela & Jay Z. Theres a reason we all love the Scar Face Movie.

See the videos for yourself. I know some will try to argue that the videos below are from "a man who picked up on the 'American' Culture". Tell me what you think.

P.S: OFFENSIVE MATERIAL MAY BE ON VIDEOS. ONLY PROCEED IF YOU'RE OVER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS OR IF SE.XUAL WORDS OR IMAGES WILL NOT BE FOUND OFFENSIVE BY YOU. BUT THIS IS WHAT NAIJA/AMERICA HAS PRODUCED. WHO DO WE BLAME SEF?!

http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/40798

http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/35311

Index: * I don't know for a fact that Speed Darlignton was a product of disciplinarian parents, and I'm not implying this . All I'm saying is: we claim we come from a "Strict Society", don't we?
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Lasinoh: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
What is offensive about it? undecided
If you don't like it. . . move on!
Jesus came down to Earth. . . he was offensive too.
Where do you draw the line?
You can't please everyone.

I thorougly enjoyed it! cool

Abi you nefa see toto and bobby bifor? undecided
Very nice and succulent too! cool

Singin' along. . . "I need a real bad biatch". . . .! grin
My new ring tone! cheesy

[b][size=20pt]To be clear, I believe in freedom of speech and the right of a man to engage in that which would not "reasonably" offend another.[/size] [/B]

Booooosheet!
Frankly my deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaer. . . .that is your problem sir! I am female. . . and see absolutely nothing wrong with what adults choose to do with their lives as long as they can live with their decisions WHICH DO NOT AFFECT ME. If people cannot control their bigotted or unbridled animalistic urges. . . being the PSYCHOS they are. . . NOT EVEN JESUS CAN SAVE! kiss
All a matter of 'moral relativity'!

Asko O. . . ?
Auspy-Suspy!
ShiiiiiiiYOOOOOR!

BTW. . .sexuality and vulgarity may be tenets of one's religion. . . .!GET YOURS! cool
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Kobojunkie: 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
Conservative Nigerian Society
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Lasinoh: 10:38pm On Dec 19, 2011
Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhen!
I had to watch the tin like 20 times.
Giviiruuuurup for 'Pastor Flavor' of Yorubaland! grin
Ndi Yoruba di kwa egwu o!
This has made up for an extremely boring day off! cheesy

Ihe di n'ukwu eeeeeeeeeeeh!!!! cry

I love those girls. . . sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer confidence in cellulite/adipose tissue marketeeering. . . Real African baaaaaaaaaaad azzzzzzzzzzzzzze!!!! grin

In fact. . .there is beauty in ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL POOOOHSIES!
I am a believer! grin
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Conservative Nigerian Society

Exactly. Isn't it glaring that there's a lot of hypocrisy in Nigerian Society? On one hand they have this wonderful "Culture" that the whole world should emulate. On the other hand, their actions are the exact opposite.
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
Hence the reason I laugh!

I think of the Nigerian Society as being more repressive than conservative, in every wise. We repress thoughts, ideas, feelings. We restrain the freedoms of the females, people of different ethnicities, religious beliefs, etc.
Re: Freedom Of Speech Or Abandonment Of Culture? by Nobody: 5:36am On Dec 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Hence the reason I laugh!

I think of the Nigerian Society as being more repressive than conservative, in every wise. We repress thoughts, ideas, feelings. We restrain the freedoms of the females, people of different ethnicities, religious beliefs, etc.

+100

(1) (Reply)

Guess Who The Person On The Left Is / Nlc, Tuc Talk Tough, Threatens "long Drawn Battle" With Jonathan / Who Should Be Blamed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.