Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. (1690 Views)

10 Questions For Theists / Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? / Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by thehomer: 8:58am On Dec 20, 2011
Earlier this year Blair Scott did an interview on Fox News and it stirred up the religious rage against Atheists. Hateful comments filled the Fox News’ Facebook page. Christians were saying things like, “I hope someone rapes you” and “Atheists are scum, can we start killing them now?” All these threats were in response to Scott questioning the constitutionality of a cross being included at the 9/11 Memorial.

Hatred must lay just beneath the surface for many theists (of which I suspect many are Christian) as we see a second outbreak of shocking threats of violence and death this year. With the passing of Christopher Hitchens last week, the twitter hashtag #godisNotGreat began trending as it was added to many condolences for Hitch. Rather than attempting to understand why atheists were using the phrase and at the very least showing an ounce of respect for our laments, many lashed out . . . once again demonstrating the tribalistic barbarianism that is religion.

If you are a theist and you ever wondered why atheists feel the need to put up billboards saying, “Don’t believe in god? You are not alone.” . . .  If you have ever wondered why we detest the brainless acquiescence expected of religious followers? . . .  If you have ever wondered why we fight against a god that we do not believe exists? . . .  Let me be viciously clear, it is because of the religious malevolence of the sort you are about to witness.

Source.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by thehomer: 9:01am On Dec 20, 2011
Do yourself a favour and follow that link to see the sorts of responses being made.

Here is a small sampling.

Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by UyiIredia(m): 1:16pm On Dec 20, 2011
Clearly bad behavior from Christians. One that is very unlike the calm character Jesus displayed against people who were skeptical of his divinity. Did they remove the cross or not ?
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by thehomer: 6:42pm On Dec 20, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

Clearly bad behavior from Christians. One that is very unlike the calm character Jesus displayed against people who were skeptical of his divinity. Did they remove the cross or not ?

The decision hasn't yet been made.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Lasinoh: 6:45pm On Dec 20, 2011
Show me a Christian. . . I will show you the DEVIL on 2 legs. cheesy
Mu che che che che che. . . .
Surely, their Lord Jesus died in vain for sure. And will surely die in vain many times to come for those 'fake' followers of his. . . BLASPHEMY!!!
Never met a set of more judgemental, intolerant and self-righteous bigotted bunch in the whole wide world.
Tufiakwa! cry

The scariest, most psychotic retards ever known to mankind! cheesy
What a comic herd of cattle on 2 left legs! grin
As long as you do not agree with their hypocritical, nauseating views. . . you are a gonner,
They wish. . . Sheeeesh! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by UyiIredia(m): 12:03pm On Dec 21, 2011
Lasinoh:

Show me a Christian. . . I will show you the DEVIL on 2 legs. cheesy
Mu che che che che che. . . .
Surely, their Lord Jesus died in vain for sure. And will surely die in vain many times to come for those 'fake' followers of his. . . BLASPHEMY!!!
Never met a set of more judgemental, intolerant and self-righteous bigotted bunch in the whole wide world.
Tufiakwa! cry

The scariest, most psychotic retards ever known to mankind! cheesy
What a comic herd of cattle on 2 left legs! grin
As long as you do not agree with their hypocritical, nauseating views. . . you are a gonner,
They wish. . . Sheeeesh! cheesy

What kind of silly post is this ! This reeks of hasty generalisation. There are  lots of Christians who have positively contributed to science, technology and the humanities.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2011
as is all too common - at any point in existence there is always to few intellectuals, too few patriots, too few scientists, too few true christians and just about a shipload of muphucking zealots from the Australian outback to the scarab fields of Maiduguri. it is a wonder we are not faced with another deluge. This God must think highly of us
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 5:13am On Mar 14, 2013
New Pope bump...

Bravery of Christianity...
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by omaigala(m): 7:40am On Mar 14, 2013
Don't you guys bite more than you can chew, God is immortal, I pity you people who want to fight against him. Also, I pity people who kill his creatures (human beings) in the name of fighting for him. I wonder how a mortal can fight for an immortal...
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 14, 2013
omaigala: Don't you guys bite more than you can chew, God is immortal, I pity you people who want to fight against him.
Mumu angry

1 Like

Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by DeepSight(m): 9:17am On Mar 14, 2013
@ thehomer - Where is your humanity?

At the minimum, you would agree that gross insensitivity begets gross insensitivity. How do you, in a deeply religious country, and specifically in a situation where the nation and people seek to mourn their dead - over 3, 000 of such dead - death itself being a deeply spiritual phenomenon for these people - begin to raise objections at the fact that they seek to have the emblems of their faith on such a memorial?

I would not do such a grossly insensitive and even crude thing: especially when I weigh the depth and gravity of the grief being memorialized against the fact that as an atheist, whatever insignia are placed there should do me no harm and should be meaningless to me?

You behold a deeply religious people in such intense grief, and begin to pout about the religious insignia they wish to place in their memorial to their loved ones? This is not only the height of st.upidity, but also the lowest and rankest conduct that any human being can espouse. It, is, in itself, the zenith of crude and purposeless fanaticism, the height of insensitivity and cruelty to the feelings of other human beings, and as such, I would say that the vituperation received in return is only to be expected, in the grievous circumstance of mourning at issue.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by ooman(m): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2013
^^atheists, muslims, satanists etc also died that day so why should only crosses, signs of the xtian cult, be placed over corpse of atheists, muslims and satanists without protest?

You need to consider the emotions of ALL people at such time
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by DeepSight(m): 10:15am On Mar 14, 2013
How does it bother anybody, really? Its a Memorial, no? Set up in a predominantly Christian country, no? And by the way, I would countenance a claim by other theists asking for their religious insignia on the Memorial. But the case of the atheist is ridiculous because the atheist should be indifferent to what insignia is there - given the grief at hand, at least.

And who told you that Satanists were among those killed? Even if they were, you would be stretching the boundaries of reason to expect a Satanist insignia there. . . placed by the state?

The simple point is this: what interest should an atheist have in bothering the religious on their Memorials to their dearly departed tragically killed loved ones? None whatsoever - even if atheists died there as well. It should not bother the atheist, as such insignia are meaningless to him, no?

2 Likes

Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by mumumugu(m): 10:42am On Mar 14, 2013
musKeeto:
Mumu angry
yes, you called me

1 Like

Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by ooman(m): 10:47am On Mar 14, 2013
You are deliberately forgetting the fact that its not a religious ceremony but STATE ceremony. The church has been separated from state, so it doesn't matter who the majority or minority groups are.

Since its a state ceremony, its the right of ALL citizens that ALL their beliefs be practiced or NONE practiced.

Why should atheists, muslims, satanists etc get a xtian burial. Its a despicable act that must be protested. I would never wish I get a xtian burial.

The right of the dead must be maintained. STATE CEREMONIES SHOULD ENDORSE NO RELIGION OR LACK OF IT. IT MUST BE DONE ACCORDING TO CONSTITUTION.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 14, 2013
mumumugu: yes, you called me
grin
smh..
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 14, 2013
Atheism is a religion!
That's why 'this' is an issue!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 14, 2013
Atheism is a religion!
That's why 'this', is an issue!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by ooman(m): 11:54am On Mar 14, 2013
kwangi: Atheism is a religion!

Delusions!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Paschal007: 12:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
kwangi: Atheism is a religion!
Gbam!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 14, 2013
ooman:

Delusions!
That's all you can say?
Alright, let brush that aside and continue with God(s) bashing.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by DeepSight(m): 5:51pm On Mar 14, 2013
ooman: You are deliberately forgetting the fact that its not a religious ceremony but STATE ceremony. The church has been separated from state, so it doesn't matter who the majority or minority groups are.

Since its a state ceremony, its the right of ALL citizens that ALL their beliefs be practiced or NONE practiced.

Why should atheists, muslims, satanists etc get a xtian burial. Its a despicable act that must be protested. I would never wish I get a xtian burial.

The right of the dead must be maintained. STATE CEREMONIES SHOULD ENDORSE NO RELIGION OR LACK OF IT. IT MUST BE DONE ACCORDING TO CONSTITUTION.

You are being pedantic.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by ooman(m): 6:28pm On Mar 14, 2013
Deep Sight:

You are being pedantic.

Am being pedantic? Well you are being finicky!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by onyfrank: 11:09pm On Mar 14, 2013
omaigala: Don't you guys bite more than you can chew, God is immortal, I pity you people who want to fight against him. Also, I pity people who kill his creatures (human beings) in the name of fighting for him. I wonder how a mortal can fight for an immortal...
dats d level and degree of finitude, and anything finite has intrinsic nature of self destruction. Dnt mind them, its only dia nature. Bt the speed at which finite accelerates 4 self destruction is quite alarming.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 14, 2013
Deep Sight:
How does it bother anybody, really? Its a Memorial, no? Set up in a predominantly Christian country, no? And by the way, I would countenance a claim by other theists asking for their religious insignia on the Memorial. But the case of the atheist is ridiculous because the atheist should be indifferent to what insignia is there - given the grief at hand, at least.

And who told you that Satanists were among those killed? Even if they were, you would be stretching the boundaries of reason to expect a Satanist insignia there. . . placed by the state?

The simple point is this: what interest should an atheist have in bothering the religious on their Memorials to their dearly departed tragically killed loved ones? None whatsoever - even if atheists died there as well. It should not bother the atheist, as such insignia are meaningless to him, no?

You are the most useless lawyer when it comes to constitutional law.

The state shouldnt endorse such a christian memorial on a public space in the first place. Govt has no business with religion.

However, if people lobby for a cross and get it granted, then athiests, pagans and satanists all have the right to put up their symbols

Also, atheists respect the dead. We are not some emotionless and unsympathetic anti-religion haters. We are human beings too and we grieve at the loss of people. We can put symbols to remember our loved ones. So to say that atheists should leave the dead atheists alone is condescending.

Please, you are not doing your intellect a favour with this kind of nonsense and christian bottom-licking that you are doing.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by manmustwac(m): 12:55am On Mar 15, 2013
Its always theists looking for the trouble of atheists. According to some theists we athiests believe in NOTHING therefore we atheists can never find theists trouble brcause of NOTHING!
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by thehomer: 6:10pm On Mar 15, 2013
Deep Sight: @ thehomer - Where is your humanity?

At the minimum, you would agree that gross insensitivity begets gross insensitivity. How do you, in a deeply religious country, and specifically in a situation where the nation and people seek to mourn their dead - over 3, 000 of such dead - death itself being a deeply spiritual phenomenon for these people - begin to raise objections at the fact that they seek to have the emblems of their faith on such a memorial?

I do not agree that gross insensitivity begets gross insensitivity. The U.S isn't a "deeply religious country", Iran as an example is. The U.S is a secular country with a majority of its citizens currently being religious. Should national mourning in a secular country honour only members of a single religion?

Deep Sight:
I would not do such a grossly insensitive and even crude thing: especially when I weigh the depth and gravity of the grief being memorialized against the fact that as an atheist, whatever insignia are placed there should do me no harm and should be meaningless to me?

It is not crude to follow the law. Especially a law that is just. Why should atheists be silent when their own funds are being used to elevate a certain religion in a secular state?

Deep Sight:
You behold a deeply religious people in such intense grief, and begin to pout about the religious insignia they wish to place in their memorial to their loved ones? This is not only the height of st.upidity, but also the lowest and rankest conduct that any human being can espouse. It, is, in itself, the zenith of crude and purposeless fanaticism, the height of insensitivity and cruelty to the feelings of other human beings, and as such, I would say that the vituperation received in return is only to be expected, in the grievous circumstance of mourning at issue.

This is just emotional bullshite that you're throwing about. Does speaking up in support of on of the founding principles of the country warrant threats of murder and rape? I think it is the height of st.upidity to sit back and do nothing since in this context, it would amount to cheering them on. I'm sorry but people like you are simply a part of the problem of religious privilege. The fact that someone is mourning doesn't mean they can go on to spend other people's money to mourn the dead.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What kind of silly post is this ! This reeks of hasty generalisation. There are  lots of Christians who have positively contributed to science, technology and the humanities.

Can you give examples pls
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by UyiIredia(m): 5:15am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are the most useless lawyer when it comes to constitutional law.

The state shouldnt endorse such a christian memorial on a public space in the first place. Govt has no business with religion.

However, if people lobby for a cross and get it granted, then athiests, pagans and satanists all have the right to put up their symbols

Also, atheists respect the dead. We are not some emotionless and unsympathetic anti-religion haters. We are human beings too and we grieve at the loss of people. We can put symbols to remember our loved ones. So to say that atheists should leave the dead atheists alone is condescending.

Please, you are not doing your intellect a favour with this kind of nonsense and christian bottom-licking that you are doing.

Next this mofo will now say that atheists have no symbols or beliefs. And atheists are tolerant.
Re: Theists Threaten To Kill Atheists, Again. by UyiIredia(m): 5:19am On Jun 04, 2013
ifeness:

Can you give examples pls

Isaac Newton, George Washington Carver, John Sanford, Jerry Bergman, Raymond Damadian, Louis Pasteur, John F. Kennedy

(1) (Reply)

Fact About My Break Up With Chris Okotie — Stephanie Henshaw / Historical Facts On How God Visited Some Men Of God. / Will GOD Ever Forgive Satan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.