Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,842 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? (1869 Views)

Drop A Synopsis Of Your Work Here. / Susgest A Suitable Title For This Poem / How Do You Get To Publish Your Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by Oluchi007(f): 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2011
It's possible to write an amazing story but then choose a lousy title that doesn't grab the reader's attention. Unintentionally you sell the story short. I'm always stuck after writing because I'm terrible at choosing eye-catching titles. How can I improve?
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by mute4real: 7:24am On Dec 25, 2011
Hello Oluchi007,

Indeed titles are very important. They are like the packaging of the product. We both know good products that don't sell much because of the packaging. So titles are a very important part of articles.

In choice of titles I'll recommend the following:
1. What is the theme of the article: The main message being communicated may not even be written in the article but it could still be the title.

2. Is there a catch phrase in the note or article that will be very appealing? That can also be the title. I once wrote an article in facebook titled Not On My Watch (https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150353019894051). That phrase was only used once in the note and at the very end.

3. Choose a good title first. I also use this method where I choose the title before I begin writing. So I already have a good title from the start instead of writing then trying to choose a title for it. This is the method I use the most. If you go to https://www.facebook.com/mutehimself?sk=notes you will find most of my notes and see the titles for yourself. It is this method that has helped me the most.
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by Oluchi007(f): 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2011
Oh, so you're the one that wrote 'Sitting at the edge', cool.

Thank you for the tips. Hopefully with this I'll be able to improve on my titles.
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by mute4real: 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2011
Oluchi007:

Oh, so you're the one that wrote 'Sitting at the edge', cool.

Thank you for the tips. Hopefully with this I'll be able to improve on my titles.

You are welcome. Good to know you found the tips helpful.
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by maclatunji: 9:40am On Dec 26, 2011
Let other people you trust suggest titles for you. The fact that you are publishing does not mean that you have to do everything yourself- the only thing is that you have to agree with the title as the author.
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by Oluchi007(f): 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2011
Sometimes that is possible, sometimes it is not.
Re: How Do You Choose A Catchy Title For Your Work? by thiscounts(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2011
This is how I come up with Titles,my story line do the magic.What I'm writing on would surely tell me how to cap it.Get your thoughts[The theme,the road that your story is to roll on] together before you set on putting words on paper,and the rest would be as if some spiritual being is pouring words into your head,it wouldnt let you be at ease until you deliver the message it sends you.They call it MUSE,the goddess of art according to Greek Mythology.That's myth but the reality is that if u are creative you are more than just an ordinary being,u can do all you've got to do.Catchy titles wont be a problem

(1) (Reply)

WOLEXIT Stands -wole Soyinka / A Mile From Hell (Drugs & Crime) / Join Writertain Story Game: April Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.