Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. (4412 Views)

How To Stop Apps From Auto Installing/updating On Your Android Phones / Avast Anti Virus Not Updating/unistalling / Antivirus Not Updating With Starcomms Izaap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. by sholasys: 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2007
HI, i hv symatec Antivirus coperate edition. I wants to scan five PC that are not having internet access in d village, how do i update from one pc with internet and take it to the willage for installation and update. Anyway Out ?
Re: Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. by tunscolo(m): 3:35pm On Oct 02, 2007
U see shola, I don't really think that is possible. Well I once had that problem but I had to bring the system to the Internet.
Sorry.
But hold on, there can still be solution from our neighbouring engineers. Hold o for them.
Thank you.
Re: Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. by Maleeq(m): 10:24am On Oct 03, 2007
@Sholasys

For Symantec products, there are 4 ways of updating the virus definition:
- The Virus Definition Transport Method (VDTM)
- LiveUpdate
- Copying An *.xdb file
- Intelligent Updater

For your situation, only the LiveUpdate cant be applied.

VDTM
The is a fully automated solution for virus definitions distribution, and is enabled by default between servers and their managed clients. With the VDTM, it is only necessary to update one server in order to update all computers in the network. The server gets definitions updates using LiveUpdate or an .xdb file, and then automatically distributes the definitions to each of its clients on the network.

You could update the PC with the internet connection and then setup up the rest to receive updates from it at the village.

Copying An *.xdb file
You can update any Symantec AntiVirus server or client by downloading the .xdb file from Symantec. You can also copy an .xdb file from the \SAV folder on any Symantec AntiVirus server. The[b] modified date [/b] of the .xdb file matches the date of the virus definitions.
Restarting (stopping and then starting) the Symantec AntiVirus Server process can be used to manually initiate the update process.

How do you get the XDB file?
To download an .xdb file from Symantec

- Go to the xdb folder on the Symantec FTP site or get the file from the Symantec Security Response Virus Definitions Download Page.
- Click the .xdb file with the latest date, and select "Save to disk" from the dialog box.
- If the .xdb file downloads with a .zip extension, remove the .zip extension by renaming the file. (The file name should be similar to the following: vd12bc02.xdb )
- Next, copy the .xdb file to the appropriate destination, depending on the version of Symantec AntiVirus and the operating system:
      - For Windows servers, the default is C:\Program Files\SAV\
      - For Windows 2000/XP clients, the default is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\.

Note: The Application Data Folder might be hidden. Just make sure you have enabled "Show Hidden Files/Folders" under the folder options.

With this done, simply restart the PC or the AVP process. When it restarts, your AVP should be up to date.

Intelligent Updater
Follow this link to get all the information right from the Horse's mouth!
Intelligent Update Option
Re: Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. by rowenagold(f): 11:14am On Dec 03, 2008
@ maleeq
hi pls i tried to follow ur instuctions but whenever i try this link

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html
my browser just goes off. it actually opens, then, like dissapears after 5 secs .
wat can i do?
Re: Updating Antivirus, Symantect Coporate Edition. by Maleeq(m): 1:30pm On Dec 03, 2008
@rowenagold

I just followed the link and got no issues!

There could be a thousand and one reasons your web browser shuts down. This could be anything from add-on error to malware presence on your system.

I would suggest you attempt to access the same link with another web browser. Try these out, in particular order:
- Internet Explorer
- FireFox
- Chrome.

Just try the link on any other browser other than the one that shuts down.

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

✈✳✅ SOLD ❌❌❌ 2015 Hp Envy 2in1 convertible 8GB Ram / 1tb Touchscreen / Can Someone Make Use Of Zain Sim Card On Mtn Fastlink Card Or Usb Stick? / Etisalat Internet Modem Download Link?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.