Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,545 members, 7,861,582 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:57 PM

Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. (927 Views)

North Silent Again As It Did When Boko Haram Killed Christians / Why Islamic Scholars Are Silent On Boko Haram, By Governor Kashim Shettima / Presidency Silent On Patience Jonathans Whereabouts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by tplamp26: 4:36pm On Dec 25, 2011
why are the muslim leaders in the north silent on boko haram activties.it pls them.maybe or maybe not
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by babsjnr(m): 5:45pm On Dec 25, 2011
those north muslim leaders are involved as well nah dem they sponsor boko haram.norths muslim always happy anytime a innocent christian is killed in up north. All of them be d same as boko haram
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by dustydee: 6:06pm On Dec 25, 2011
The silence of the emirs and the sultanate is deafening. I think they should have been the first to condemn these acts. Could they be afraid too?
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Rgp92: 6:12pm On Dec 25, 2011
Nobody wanna die.
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Beaf: 6:16pm On Dec 25, 2011
It is simple. They are all boko haram.
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 25, 2011
babsjnr:

those north muslim leaders are involved as well nah dem they sponsor boko haram.norths muslim always happy anytime a innocent  christian is  killed in up north. All of them be d same as boko haram

Amazing isn't it? Ironically, they will eventually become victims of their own schemes. Boko Haram is more a threat to them than they will ever be to southerners.
Merry Christmas to all and may God bless the victims of these horrific bombings.
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 25, 2011
Aigbofa:

Amazing isn't it? Ironically, they will eventually become victims of their own schemes. Boko Haram is more a threat to them than they will ever be to southerners.
Merry Christmas to all and may God bless the victims of these horrific bombings.

Why are they not speaking up to condemn the violence?
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by hercules07: 6:39pm On Dec 25, 2011
ideally they should speak, but, how safe are they, the guy OBJ met with got killed, former governors have apologized to BH out of fear, until the government can provide proper security, they will keep mute. It is also possible some of them are sponsors of BH but most of them are pro establishment and have sacrificed a lot to have GEJ in power, it is not in their interest to back BH.
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Seun(m): 6:42pm On Dec 25, 2011
What will condemning the violence achieve apart from getting them killed?
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Beaf: 6:48pm On Dec 25, 2011
hercules07:

ideally they should speak, but, how safe are they, the guy OBJ met with got killed, former governors have apologized to BH out of fear, until the government can provide proper security, they will keep mute. It is also possible some of them are sponsors of BH but most of them are pro establishment and have sacrificed a lot to have GEJ in power, it is not in their interest to back BH.

Really?
But a woman was able to condemn boko haram in the way those puzzies couldn't and she is still alive, well and kicking damn good.
It is either men like Buhari, El Rufai, IBB, Atiku, the Sultan of Sokoto etc are bloody cowards or they are boko haram connivers and sympathisers:

[size=14pt]Boko Haram:Sarah Jubril blasts Northern Generals, leaders[/size]
Posted by adminBoko Haram, Latest Politics, Raw Politics, Women PoliticsMonday, November 21st, 2011

Special Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on Ethics and Values, Mrs Sarah Jubril, has become a recurring decimal in national politics.
In this interview with REMI ADEFULU, the presidential aide laments the insecurity in the country, especially the activities of the Boko Haram sect which is peopled by northern youths.

She opined that most worrisome about the development is the deafening silence of northern elders, Generals and professionals, who have somewhat kept mute on the development, despite coming from a zone that ruled the country for over 30 years.
Jubril also speaks on her political experience, fighting spirit, contesting against ex-President Obasanjo, women politicians and sexual harassment, and more. Excerpts:

Political experience
I remain dissatisfied with the quality and content of politics in Nigeria, that is why I remain persistent in the pursuit of the best standards as approved not only by us, by heaven for humanity and for creation. I have not had a fair hearing, in view of what Nigeria signed for at the UN, Commonwealth, AU, ECOWAS and Nigeria about women in politics, but if we honour our signatures, we would consider the women, not only me alone. Maintaining this quality to other people whom I may call the saboteurs or the killers of the democratic honour of Nigeria, who seem to see us as threats. Rather, I thought those women who are from Nigeria would have seen some of us, who dare to go into politics and even to contest, as asset and instruments to be used to put Nigeria right, and make her honour her signatures. Since 1975 when Nigeria was in Mexico World Women Conference, in Arusha 1985, Beijing 1995 and 2005, it shows that indeed we can raise women who can go into politics. The moment a woman wants to go into politics, she becomes an enemy to women around her and other people who don’t seem to know where Nigeria is heading.

Fighting spirit
That’s exactly what I have just told you. Its not because I schooled abroad or because I travel around, because I got married to my dear late husband, late Gen. Jubril, its the combination of a lot of references, my parents, the kind of schools I went to, my teachers, the books, objective admirers etc. These are the ideals that people have held on to and have proved worthy for the good of humanity. No matter how much the ill-informed people struggle to subdue and submerge the truth, even happen, and there is a trying that when good people keep quiet. That’s when you leave field for the evil ones, so let the good ones sort of emerge, multiply to subdue the evil that seems to be threatening our development. It’s just the logical thing to do.

Tackling OBJ
Why should vying against Baba Obasanjo be my toughest? As far as I am concerned, my life was created by God, kept protected by God and whatever I am doing in politics, is directed and will be manifested with help of my Creator who knows the details of why he created me. My future does not depend on any individual, even my parents, though they are the source of bringing me to the world, but they don’t know why God brought me. They too are discovering and waiting to see what God brought me for. So, why would I have to create any opposition to anybody. If anybody wants to be in opposition to me, they do that at their own peril, against the purpose of God in my life.

Why would Chief Obasanjo want to oppose me? What have I done wrong to him? Would he not want to support women with high integrity to represent the eminence which he represented as a former Head of State? So why would I be controversial and a threat to any citizen? Well, he has his own agenda, I have my own agenda. My own agenda is on the altar of Almighty God, and as far as I am concerned, I am playing my role as a mother who loves enough, cares enough and is going to fight on the side of God enough for this country, As an elder statesman, at least at the age of almost over 65, what else am I supposed to do? As a Christian, I am doing my job, and God is happy with me. I am so sorry if anybody feels offended by me, they have their own case to sort out. Any opposition mounted against me as far as I am concerned will not work in my life. No opposition fashioned against me will prosper.

Excruciating government policies
All these are challenges we must admit. People sound cynical, they sound discouraged, because they’ve been trusting and trusting the government, but one thing I want them to know, in the midst of all these cynicism, skepticism, the courage of Mr President to appoint me to be in charge of ethics and values, shows that there is possibility of someone that can weather the situation.

My appointment by the president is for me to raise more people that believe in Nigeria. Since my appointment, a lot of people have brought proposals from in and outside the country on how they want to work with us. That is my assignment. It is not this president that created the chronic problems about the fuel situation in Nigeria, right. The good things that happened in the past, it is possible to revisit it. It is only ethical and logical for Mr President to utilise the idea and God will help him to put people that would implement the funds that will be coming. I believe that political will with ethical will will also inform that Economic Committee will also put a structure on the ground so that people are now going to see.

My programme of community transformation centres is to bring governemnt to the people. Therefore, even the excess funds can be ploughed into the community development programme we are coming up with. It is only ethical for the president to use the strategies he has put in place through my advisory capacity and we are running that as an NGO. So, its already done. On the proposed toll gates, people should not worry themselves. If the funds are been accumulated there are lots of honest fund managers in this country. It must not necessarily be public servants or civil servants who will believe in bureaucracy.

There are people who run corporate organisations and they are working. Let there be toll gates, so that the funds will be judiciously used to refurbish or build new roads. I was just hearing that throughout the south-west, almost every village, almost every town was networked by roads, but the past 50 years they were complaining that those roads were not dualised. So, its just that of continuing with the foundation t hat were laid 50 years ago with the funds you have. N50, N100 is not too much to maintain our roads. If we have toll gates money, and you decide that that will be your goldmine, of course, I am already working with the EFCC, the ICPC, the security agents, with other people. That is my responsibility. We will encourage our anti-corruption agencies to do their jobs.

Jonathan and challenges
Yes, I believe it is achievable. Somebody was saying before you can put up a house, you need to know the depth of the foundation, even sometimes the height. Before the end of this year, with all the fire, I believe he has the wisdom to understand the challenges more. I believe by n ext year, everybody would have realised that it cannot be music as usual. Is it an issue of governance or the issue of the well being of our citizens? To me, iI think some have problem with this egos, problem with their fear of God, problem with the honesty of their goodwill, from a country which they have taken the best.

The best of protocols was accorded to all our big people all over the country, including the northerners. How come we cannot jealously arise for the well being, for the honour of Nigeria. What happened to all our industries in the north? How many industries are flourishing? How come cotton and groundnut are not flourishing in the north? What happened between the 38 years that we had rulership? These are questions we are going to ask ourselves. When we are talking Abuja, from which money was Abuja built? From which money? Why should you be agents of destruction and not agents of building and development? Is this what leadership is all about? My people say in my language, where elders are, things don’t go bad!

The retired Generals, public servants, civil servants, let them show the right way. If they don’t want to do that, let the youths take the responsibility for their own future and my advice for the youths is that they should take the responsibility to be the security agents for their own future. The more they do this bombing that they are doing, is to repel investors. The less investors we have, the less industries, the lesser the industries, the more unemployment, the more the unemployment, the more the frustration and the more people run away. So, they must also help. Another area is our IGR (Internally Generated Revenue).

How much is been raised in the northern states? How many community secondary schools do we have? How many communities do we have to network ordinary roads, not even tarred. Besides the big express roads, look at the north central area, how many of our roads are working? How many roads were dualised? Don’t we have elders who have enjoyed the best of protocols and everything in this country? We are in love with our yesterday and now don’t we have responsibility to be in love and care for the future?

If we love our children, our grandchildren, we would teach them to be disciplined, and I believe they are capable. Listen, I am talking to you, as a bona fide, full bloodied Nigerian born woman and mother, quote me, and I stand on t he oath of the child birth blood that gave birth to every citizen of this country and by the oath of the mother’s breast milk that have nurtured, suckled everyone in this country.

-Sun

http://newnigerianpolitics.com/2011/11/21/boko-haramsarah-jubril-blasts-northern-generals-leaders/
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Beaf: 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2011
If the Northern men are afraid, then they should give way to their women:

[size=14pt]Bombings caused by failed leadership in the north -Sarah Jibril[/size]
THE Special Adviser to President Jonathan on Ethics and Value Orientation, Mrs. Sarah Jubril, has upbraided leaders in the 19 northern states on the deteriorating security,
By Binalayefa Daniel

THE Special Adviser to President Jonathan on Ethics and Value Orientation, Mrs. Sarah Jubril, has upbraided leaders in the 19 northern states on the deteriorating security challenges facing the country.

Sarah, while fielding questions from journalists at the weekend in Minna argued that, with the level of insecurity caused by bomb blasts by religious extremists from the region, leaders of the zone should explain why the youths in the area have gone berserk in their quest to seek relevance in the socio-political equation of Nigeria.

The presidential aide who was on her way to Bida, in Niger State to attend a stakeholders' meeting expressed regrets over the recent spate of bombings being masterminded by youths of northern origin described the spate of bombings in the guise of fighting religious war by some misguided youths as the greatest challenge facing the government and people of Nigeria today especially at this critical time of national development.

Mrs. Sara Jibril observed that the missing link in all the upheavals were the issues of ethics, values and re-orientation which the president had sought to tackle by her appointment as, Special Adviser on Ethics and Value Orientation.

According to her, ‘We discovered that ethics is the link between the people and good governance, it is also the link between a country and development and it must be tackled with all seriousness. If there were no ethics and values, it means all have gone wrong in a nation’.

She pointed out that, ‘the president was in the process of establishing a government that embraced everybody and we discovered there was this chronic problem. And to solve the problem, you have to be very meticulous in terms of how to reset the foundation’.

‘First, the issue of threat of bombings from the Northern group is the number one problem that the president has to face. I am telling you that if it were not some of us the women that have been talking to the youths, it would have been really bad’.

The problems of the northern regions remained with them and they are the ones to solve it, arguing that, governments of the nineteen northern states should evolve ways of bringing to an end the sectarian carnage that has not only dragged the region economically backward but has also attracted bad publicity for the entire government and people of the region.

President Jonathan cannot come on his own to help the North, Jibril said as she challenged Northern leaders to tell the people their economic agenda for the region, especially in the area of youth empowerment and job opportunities.

“I want to ask you, what is our joint economic agenda in the North? Don't we have political leaders? The leaders have had the best in this country, but how many kilometers of roads have they tarred for their communities?

What have they done?

Where were all our Northern leaders when Bank of the North collapsed?

Why is it that we don't have infrastructural development in the North?

The presidential aide fumed. According to her, ‘How many community schools do we have with the huge monthly income from the Federal Government and their internally generated revenues?

They were busy telling us they have the answers to our problems, is it the answers of bombings they are going to give us?

I challenge all of you, go and ask them. We have retired Generals, civil servants, politicians, go and ask them.

‘I am asking you all these questions as a Northerner, as a Nupe woman from the North. Is this their dividends of democracy to the people?

Since 1960 when we had independence, what have they done for their people, they should be courageous enough to go round and tell the people what they have contributed to our development since 1960’.

Sarah Jibril rhetorically asked, ‘Why is it that the Northern leaders cannot talk to the Northern youths?

Now, to worsen the situation, the southern youths are threatening that if bombs explode in any part of the south, all the Northern elements are in trouble. I am being plain with you, the threat is real’.

Jubril noted that, as an appointee, she has been pleading on behalf of the president for the youths to sheath their swords and allow meaningful progress and development in the region in particular and the country as a whole.

‘I have been pleading with the southern youths. Although, some of them are saying Northern Coalition against violence, good but go round and tell everybody, go to His Eminence, the Sultan of Sokoto, go to all the Emirs, and tell them, this is the threat from the southern youths, and everybody should sheath the sword.

‘If the leaders are not willing to listen, ask them, if any of their family members have died in the bombing process. Their own family members are enjoying the best of time and their children the best of scholarship everywhere in the world.

Ask them, what are the sins of the Northern youths, that they have made us mothers, widows, and our children to become fatherless’.

Throwing bombs to cause destruction of lives and property instead of towing the option of dialogue to address whatever grievances, noting that acting in such destructive manner were against humanity, against God, and against any known logic of human understanding.

‘For how long will this continue? Let me tell you, bombing is against humanity, development and God. Or is it Islamic or Christianity to be killing people, when God said, “Thou shall not kill?

http://www.momentng.com/en/news/3923/bombings-caused-by-failed-leadership-in-the-north--sarah-jibril.html
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 26, 2011
Sultan Mohamed Macciddo would have had something sensible to say!
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by AfroBlue(m): 12:32am On Dec 26, 2011
t p lamp26:

why are the muslim leaders in the north silent on boko haram activties.it pls them.maybe or maybe not

Story from last summer ,

Boko Haram Sect Splits

http://allafrica.com/stories/201107210066.html

The Yusufiyya Islamic Movement, in a two-page statement contained in leaflets yesterday, condemned the attacks and bombing of residences and places of worship by the other sect that claimed to be fighting a Jihad in the North. The leaflets were distributed on Tuesday to the various wards, Post Office Area and media houses in Maiduguri, Borno state capital

Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by peckhamboi: 12:52am On Dec 26, 2011
Beaf:

It is simple. They are all boko haram.

Buhari Condemns Xmas Day Bombings

In his response, General Buhari said, "Bombing other human beings to death at any time is callous. It becomes much more reprehensible on a Christmas day and all lovers of peace must condemn these gruesome acts and demand that the perpetrators be fished out and brought to book."

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/buhari-jonathan-pdp-condemn-xmas-day-bombing-churches
Re: Why Are The Muslim Leaders In The North Silent On Boko Haram Activties. by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 26, 2011
General Buhari in a statement by his spokesman, Yinka Odumakin commiserated with all those who lost their loved ones in what he described as heinous acts of terror and prays that the Almighty would grant them the fortitude to bear their irreparable losses.
"Bombing other human beings to death at any time is callous. It becomes much more reprehensible on a Christmas day and all lovers of peace must condemn this gruesome acts and demand that the perpetrators be fished out and brought to book" he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/31019-jonathan-buhari-condemns-christmas-blasts.html

(1) (Reply)

Do You Advice Christians In The North To Attend Church On New Year? / Live Updates On Fuel Subsidy Protests / Goodluck Jonathan Features On Vogue Magazine Italia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.