Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,423 members, 7,819,520 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

[center][b]politics In The East[/center][/b] - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / [center][b]politics In The East[/center][/b] (638 Views)

QH / How Can I Get Into Politics In Nigeria / Igbo Started Tribal Politics In The South; Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[center][b]politics In The East[/center][/b] by guonno: 10:45am On Dec 29, 2011
[center]A LOT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT OBI THE ANAMBRA STATE GOVERNOR, POSITIVELY THOUGH. I PULLED OUT THE ARTICLE BELLOW, FROM SUNNEWSPAPER. DO U THINK THE REST IGBO STATES SHOULD FOLLOW HIS FOOT STEP? I THINK IMO STATE GOV, ROCHAS OKOROCHA IS ALSO DOING WELL. DO WE ATTRIBUTE THIER GOOD DEEDS TO THEIR BEING APGA CANDIDATES? IF YES, THEN WE IN THE EAST SHOULD ALL VOTE TO MAKE THE EAST AN APGA STATE[/center]
It is fairly reasonable to argue that Governor Peter Obi of Anambra state is a hard worker. This fact is not contestable, at least to keen observers of development progression in the state within the last five years. But for others, mainly political opponents and cursory observers, the whole idea is a ruse. Since the man brought fiscal discipline to bear on governance, many are unwilling to dovetail with his ideas, however noble. I remember sometimes in 2009, during a facility tour of the governor’s projects in the state, our anchor, a young man, defied many of us to prove that Obi has not achieved more than his predecessors in office. He called the Governor’s dedication to the Anambra project “uncommon”. Two years after, that statement is difficult to contradict. There is hardly anywhere in the state where the administration has not begun and completed, at least a project. The simultaneous development of all sectors of the economy via the concept of Anambra Integrated Development Strategy (ANIDS) has ensured not just even development but also incomparable reach. Long before I became involved in the government of the state as a council administrator, I had viewed the governor’s plans for the state with some concern. My worry derived essentially from the nuisance political value the state has morphed into in the preceding years as a result of godfather intervention in her politics. The impunity spawned as a consequence did not only make development difficult, it made the thought of it unimaginable. Apart from few roads constructed by earlier administration, the entire state was groping for direction. Veritable organs of the state that would drive her development initiatives were left in ruins. Development partners were skeptical to invest in the state. Those already there made hurried exit as political climate became intolerably tense. With the state of affair, few, if not all, viewed Obi’s idea of developing all sectors simultaneously as pies in the sky. To these people it was wisdom not to brook such ideas since there was the fear that he won’t succeed. This was made evident, by the knowledge that his predecessors in office struggled with one or two sectors, with little to show for it. The belief that no state undertakes to tackle all sectors of the economy did not help matters. Even the ones seen as better developed than Anambra, achieved the feat because of longer years of existence. Unfortunately, some of those who misgoverned the state in the past still parade themselves as exemplars of administrative successes. Their years in government so blighted the people’s confidence that the success of the ANIDS concept was as far- fetched as the idea was strange. But five years down the line, the difference is like chalk and cheese. By unwavering dedication and sheer ascesis, the Obi administration has halted the declining fortunes of the state. It is difficult to point at any sector where the government has not committed huge resources to have them resuscitated. From education, health, judiciary, transportation, environment, industrialization, security, roads, etc, all have made remarkable improvement in the last five years. Even in local council administration, the level of commitment of the state to the welfare of both serving and retired staff is simply unrivaled. All the 21 local council headquarters hitherto in decrepit condition now wear looks that befit their status. But what I consider one of Obi’s greatest achievements in the state, besides the flight of impunity and return of investment friendly environment, is the ability to do so without incurring debt for the state. A task many would dismiss as facile, but which is often achieved at the pains of bankruptcy. The recent Senate appraisal of states in the light of the minimum wage crisis exposed the true financial positions of many states in Nigeria. Apart from Abia and Akwa Ibom, which are in the main oil producing, it was Anambra and Jigawa that made the list of viable states in Nigeria. The Governor has through uncommon determination launched the state on the orbit of greatness. His diligence has seen to the coming into the state of SABMiller, world second largest brewery, which now builds its facility in Onitsha. Many more of such companies are under way. South African Distillers and Wines for example, just signed an MOU with the state. Similarly, the administration has earmarked the sum of six billion Naira for primary schools handed over to their owners-749 Missions and 291 Government respectively. The money would be paid in tranches over 15 month period. It also gave One Billion Naira to some Mission hospitals in the state. The Mission hospitals are Iyienu Hospital Ogidi, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Ihiala, St Charles Borromeo Hospital Onitsha, St Joseph Hospital Adazi Nnukwu, and Waterside hospital Onitsha. Earlier, the state had launched 2billion security funds in order to tackle occasional security lapses. Ugochukwu, writes from Onitsha.

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Artice By The Economist. Must Read / Gej Imposes State Of Emergency In Borno, Yobe, Plateaue & Niger States. At Last? / Don Jazzy: I Regret Voting For Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.