Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals (1560 Views)

Pics: Women Storm Lagos Assembly Over Deaths Of Pregnant Women In Lagos Hospital / 4D Ultrasound & Doppler Scan: For Pregnant Mothers / The Real Reason Nigerian Hospitals Ask For Police Report In Trauma Patients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by widower: 10:33am On Dec 31, 2011
Dear Friends

The situation in Nigerian hospitals is getting out of hand, and we have to do something about it.

In 2011, I lost my pregnant wife and child at the point of delivery at a very popular Hospital in Ogba, Lagos. I later discovered that the hospital could have saved my wife’s life easily if they had simply done the right things at the right time.

I also discovered that the hospitals know what to do but did not because their management simply does not care to spend a little extra because they feel that nothing will happen even if people die through their negligent acts.

In fact, I found that several people died in that same hospital daily and their husbands and relatives just cried and went home, and afterwards they did nothing.

Although many people say that this is an act of God, but my God is not a murderer of pregnant mothers and unborn babies. It must be noted that maternal deaths at the time of delivery is 1 for every 10 pregnant women in Nigeria, but abroad it is simply unheard of (the figure is like 1 in 28,000 in Sweden). Are the Swedish more godly than Nigerians? No, and the doctors are NOT better. It is just that every pregnant woman must be accounted for, and when they die at birth, the hospital is in trouble, so the doctors will do everything correctly.

I am therefore calling you if you have a similar story or experience in this or any other Nigerian hospitals in the last 5 years, to please share it, so that we can

1) Blacklist the bad hospitals and warn other unsuspecting pregnant mothers
2) Assist you to prosecute the matter, if you wish
3) Support and counsel you on related matters
4) Help to advise you on handling difficult in-laws
5) Support you on the children left behind
6) Learn from your experience

You may also wish to support us in our quest for justice and eradication of maternal childbirth mortality in any way. You can write to my email with details, including the hospital name, your hospital card number, the date of EDD, delivery and circumstances of negligence, death and other details at Sadexperience@gmail.com and please leave a proper email and phone number. Also indicate in a few words what you want us to do.

Thanks

A. Raphael
Coordinator
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by Odunnu: 10:56am On Dec 31, 2011
I sympathise with you Sir and I pray God consoles you.

Was your wife booked for antenatals in that hospital?
Did she go for her antenatals?
Was she an emergency case on delivery?
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by qunleajayi(m): 6:13pm On Jan 02, 2012
Odunnu, I honestly don't think your questions on ante-natal are relevant since Widower has not written to ask for sympathy but to help others. I also was a victim in 2011. Many of these hospitals really need to be dealth with,
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by Odunnu: 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2012
My sincere apologies Sir. I am also trying to help thats why I ask.
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by doctokwus: 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2012
Its not enough to make general statements condemning a particular hospital.What were d spcific details of d particular incident(s) d poster is accusing d hosp of being negligent about.
@odunnu asked a relevant question of any antenatal care in d hosp or wherever for that matter.There are many tins nigerian patients take for granted or refuse to do in dis country whc they dare not in developed countries,yet they turn around to blame docs or hospitals.
That is not to say am not sympathetic to d op's plight,its always heart wrenching losing a loved one,but he wud b doing everyone concerned a world of gud if he gives specific details of what happened so that such won't repeat itself& those directly concerned make needed& probably life changing corrections,that's how d developed world are at d high standards they av attained now in d medical profession;mistakes where fd,were acknowledged,practices improved upon& higher standards& protocols set.Just my own candid opinion
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by amaham(m): 6:50am On Jan 05, 2012
Hope the op is not a lawyer lookin for prospective clients to help rip hospital off in the name of damages. Medical records are poorly kept in most naija hospitals, the records de hospital think is litigation prone are altered to safeguard the hospital. An advice 2 prospective mothers antenatal care helps 2 plan stress-free deliveries.
Re: Death Of Pregnant Mothers In Nigerian Hospitals by Lasinoh: 7:36am On Jan 05, 2012
Only God is saving pregnant women and children in Nigeria. At least the other adults have do not have to deal with pregnancy as an added risk! The sight of those hospitals. . . only tells you one thing. Nigerians really do not have any motivation to improve their self worths. Try taking any of you children to those morgues of make-shift hospitals. . .let us just say the medical and nurses narratives(which I had the opportunity of reading) where full of insults concering the 'only one who has ever been to America'. Thank God I don't have to deal with them anymore. Yes, there are risks. . .everywhere. But nothing like giving birth OUTSIDE Nigeria. . .I mean anywhere outside Nigeria.

THANK GOD I NEVER HAD TO EXPERIENCE SUCH AN ENCOUNTER AS HAVING TO DELIVER A BABY IN A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA! AMEN? AMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEN! cool

In this day and age. . . people are still carrying files. . .I mean folders for medical records. Lab results written in pencils and pens. . . !!!
A so-called giant of Africa. I must confess, the health care staff are trained. . .but are limited without the necessary equipment and technological know-how to screen and manage simple signs and symptoms that may become fatal if not addressed immediately. Diabetes and PIH(pregnancy induced hypertension are the biggest killers of pregnant women in Nigeria)
God forbid!!!! cry

(1) (Reply)

Effective Natural Pilacin Ointment Available 08098153743 / Get A Flatter Stomach In 24 Hours / Cancer Screening Centres In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.