Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh (1843 Views)

Patricia Etteh Graduates From Buckingham University / Patricia Etteh Decamps From PDP To APC / $3m Bribery Scandal: Ex-speaker Patricia Etteh Blows Hot! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by follyg: 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2007
Nairalanders lets check out these two great nigerian women, they have both resided in America and at least know what civilisation and giving purposeful leadership is supposed to be:

okonjo-Iweala patricia etteh
- Former Finance Minister -Present or Almost going- speaker house of representative
-Negotiated Nigeria out ot of foreign debt -Increased our debt by awarding inflated contract
-PHD holder -Hair dresser and too dumb to get a degree
-Internationally recognised scholar & professional -World acclaimed Thief & enriching herself corruptly
-Putting smile on the face of Nigerians -Riping Nigerians off and giving them the bitter pill to swallow
-Selfless -selfish

Please you can continue the comparism but i know one thing for sure THE COUNSEL OF THE WICKED SHALL NOT STAND AGAINST MY DEAREST COUNTRY NIGERIA and everybody say AMEN
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by almondjoy(f): 12:41pm On Oct 05, 2007
How can you say Maddam Etteh resided in America? Please I need proof! shocked
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by desgiezd(m): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2007
At at time OBJ misbehaved one resigned and thats quite un-Nigerian while the other refuses to resign even with a big scandal starring her in the face.
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by almondjoy(f): 1:45pm On Oct 05, 2007
desgiezd:

At at time OBJ misbehaved one resigned and thats quite un-Nigerian while the other refuses to resign even with a big scandal starring her in the face.

I love that! What a perfect and original way of putting the whole thing in less than 2 lines! grin Yet the other lived in America I see! wink--Harlem I guess!
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by tellie(m): 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2007
while one worked earnestly 2 erase naijas debt the other worked tirelessly 2 renovate her building grin. now tell me was she converting a poultery to a residential apartment embarassed
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by almondjoy(f): 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2007
grin

Good! grin
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by chidichris(m): 7:45am On Oct 06, 2007
one can take care of obj's old bones through proffessional massages and say to hell with nigeria while one can change nigeria's image at international levels and say to hell with obj and his selfish interest to die as a president.
one is more interested in serving nigeria while one is interested in serving obj.
one can combine official and unofficial duties to remain in power while one cares only for official duties.
one is a natural allaye and one is an educationist.
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by almondjoy(f): 12:14pm On Oct 06, 2007
Real "allaye" from Harlem--New York! cheesy
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by follyg: 9:20am On Oct 08, 2007
@almond joy
Madam etteh resides in BOWIE, MARYLAND
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by almondjoy(f): 1:55pm On Oct 08, 2007
follyg:

@almond joy
Madam etteh resides in BOWIE, MARYLAND
Is that her "hairdressing" headquarters or where she operates from as "madam speaker"?

This woman resided or visited Maryland? If she resided anywhere in the states for at least one year why does she speak the way she does? You sure she did not just visit to purchase "hair supplies" for her business? tongue
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by arinzology(m): 2:32pm On Oct 08, 2007
i cant imagine dat a woman dats suppose to be our mother is the one stealing.N628m to renovate wateva.while common nigerians that voted her in are suffering.have all tot that if this money is shared amongst each nigerian how much we will all get.its sad my fellow country men.i heard she is dating a younger dude who she gave most of the contract for the renovation.GOD will punish all those'chopping 'our resource while we suffer.My dear country nigeria is blessed with both human and natural resource and therefore we all do not have any right to poor.a common hairdresser wants to fool the whole of 9jah.na lie.E DEY PAIN ME,
Re: Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh by gmcln(m): 6:49pm On Nov 03, 2007
Read this, From the  Washington post yesterday

Nurse Who Had Affair With Doctor Found Guilty of Extortion

By Carol D. LeonnigWashington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 2, 2007; 4:37 PM

A jury convicted a Laurel woman late today of taking part in an extortion scheme against a neurosurgeon with whom she had an affair.

Queen Nwoye, 28, was accused of conspiring to extort $180,000 from Ikemba Iweala, a doctor at Providence Hospital. Prosecutors said Nwoye and a partner -- who has not been charged in the case -- threatened to reveal the affair unless Iweala turned over the money. Iweala, who is married, paid the money but then alerted authorities, prosecutors said.

But, the defense attorney continued, "Ms. Nwoye was a victim too, She made the mistake of her life falling in love in the middle of a divorce with the wrong man."

According to court papers, the story began in early 2002 when Nwoye, then a nurse in training, noticed the doctor's name in a hospital directory. She said she recognized Iweala as a fellow Nigerian and introduced herself. They became friends, and, in September 2002, they became lovers. The sexual relationship ended in August 2003, they both say, but their friendship continued

Nearly three years later, in February 2006, Iweala testified, he received a surprise call from Nwoye. She told Iweala that he must call her cousin "Ufondu" in Georgia. It was then that "Ufondu," an alias that the nurse's new boyfriend was using, demanded that the doctor pay $20,000 or he would tell Iweala's wife about the affair. Within a week, the man demanded another $20,000, prosecutors said.

On March 10, 2006, Nwoye called Iweala to suggest that they meet because "she said she had not had sex in a while," according to court papers. While the two were having sex in the parking lot in Nwoye's car, someone approached and began taking photographs. That night, "Ufondu" called Iweala again to demand an additional $100,000, the court papers said.

Iweala said the demands by "Ufondu" continued. Authorities say Nwoye picked up some of the checks and cash and deposited the money into her and her boyfriend's bank accounts. "There is a lot I could have done," she told the jury. "I really wanted something to be done, but I couldn't help myself."

Iweala brought the case to the FBI's attention and agreed to help authorities in the prosecution. "He felt compelled to bring the culprits to justice in order to prevent others from falling prey to a similar scheme," said Iweala's attorney, Vincent Cohen.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Angela Hart-Edwards told jurors that the case is not about getting the money back. "That's gone," she said.

One unanswered question for the jury so far concerns the boyfriend, Osuagwu. If he orchestrated this extortion plot along with the nurse, as the government alleges, where is he, and why hasn't he been charged, too? Beats me," Nwoye's attorney said

Jurors deliberated less than two hours before returning their verdict. Nwoye likely faces a prison term of 30 to 37 months under federal sentencing guidelines, prosecutors said. U.S. District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle set a Jan. 18 sentencing date.

The 59-year-old Nigerian neurosurgeon at Providence Hospital confessed that he started an affair with Nwoye, a nurse who hailed from his native country.

He told the jury yesterday that his stupidity sullied his and his family's reputation and seriously wounded his marriage.

"Things will never be the same," a frail-looking, gray-bearded Iweala said with a sigh as he testified this week. "I am still married. . . . But I feel very angry at myself. And, I have lost a lot of money."

Iweala hoped to conceal the affair and protect his community standing in the United States and in Nigeria, he acknowledged to prosecutors. Other members of his family, based in the cozy suburb of Potomac and with high profiles in their own fields, had much at stake as well.

His wife, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is a former foreign and finance minister for Nigeria and a veteran employee of the World Bank. She is a Harvard-educated economist and was mentioned as a possible successor to Paul D. Wolfowitz, who resigned as president in June. This month, the new World Bank president, Robert B. Zoellick, made her one of his top deputies.

Uzodinma Iweala, the couple's son, who graduated from St. Albans and Harvard, is the author of the critically acclaimed "Beasts of No Nation," his first novel. The fictionalized story of an African child warrior was released last year.

Nwoye insisted that she, too, was a victim.

Testifying in her own defense, she admitted yesterday that she helped collect the money and helped her boyfriend, Adriane Osuagwu, pretend to be her cousin so he could conceal his identity. But with a sullen face and insistent cries, Nwoye testified that she was powerless to resist the orders of Osuagwu, whom she described as a physically abusive, controlling man and as the scheme's mastermind.

"This is a sad case," Nwoye's attorney, John Iweanoge, told jurors in opening statements earlier in the week. "You're going to hear evidence of adultery, no question. You're going to hear about money going into Ms. Nwoye's accounts."

(1) (Reply)

2009 Will Be A Tough Year, Obasanjo Warns / Lagos Set To Build Refinery. / Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.