Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,075 members, 7,825,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Life Is Like That! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Life Is Like That! (947 Views)

Unilag For Humanity Pic-fic Series: Night Is This, Or Something Like That… / Love Or Something Like That / Lesotho Is Like Stepping Into A Frosty Fairytale By M V Sematlane 18 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Life Is Like That! by mute4real: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2012
Life, most times, is funny. It does not usually go the way you planned it. But you must make your decision and move on. The decisions in life are not always between good and bad, or black and white. Most times you have to make a decision between two things that you don’t like.

This note is about those times in life when you have to make a decision between two things that you don’t like. And believe me, those times will be many. There are only a few times when you have to choose between two good things or between a good and a bad thing. And you really don’t need any counsel to make a choice during those few times.

The reason many people are stuck in life is because most times we are confronted with the choice of choosing between two things that have flaws. What do you do then? It may sound cliché but the answer lies in that same old saying, “When confronted between two evils, choose the lesser evil.” Choose the lesser one and move on. Life is like that!

The choice of whom to marry is not a choice between a good and a bad person. It is a choice between two flawed people. The tall, dark, and handsome man could be a man who shouts at his wife. The rich guy could be a wife beater. The not too good looking guy could be the one who values spirituality and respects his wife.

I am not here to make the choice for you. I am telling you to access the three based on your values and pick the one that suits you most and move on with your life. Life is like that! There is no need putting your life on hold when you know the next thing on your list is marriage. Believe me, I have seen some strange things in this life. Some women enjoy being beaten by their husbands, believe it or not.

The choice between remaining as an employee and becoming a self employed person is a choice between two flawed careers. They both have their up and down sides. The employee is certain of his salary at the end of the month. The self employed may go for months without any income. The self employed person, however, may at a certain point in time have in one deal what the employed person may never see in his whole career. Make your choice and live with it. Life is like that!

In the scriptures is a counsel from Jesus which many of us never really take time to meditate upon. He said it is better to enter into heaven with one hand than to go to hell complete. This counsel has opened up to me in more ways than I can share in this very short note. It’s amazing how the word of God would open up if one spends time to meditate on it. I have discovered that the longer you meditate, the shorter the amount of time you spend praying on specific issues. Because each time you pray, you pray the mind of God. Of course there are times one will have an express instruction from God to pray on a particular issue for months, sometimes years.

Before I deviate completely, let me return to the issue at hand. We all know that there will be no handicaps in heaven. God has promised to wipe away every tears. The man who is crying because he lost an arm will have his arm replaced so his tears will be wiped away. But let’s imagine for a brief moment that there will be handicaps. So, while the saints are clapping and dancing the man with one arm will be hitting his chest as his own way of clapping. But do you think the man who is in hell with two hands is better off? Can the man in hell with two hands really clap?

This lesson is about the futility of perfection as we define it today. The woman who divorces her husband because he often beats her may have an arm but she is better off than the one who remains in such marriage because the society looks down on divorces. The man who has a low paying job but ekes out an honest living for himself and his family may have an arm but he is better off than the man who travels round the world with his family in first class by looting the nation.

When a part of your body has gangrene doctors are required to amputate that part. It is the amputated part that dies, not the body. Insisting that an infected part stays with you will lead to the death of the whole body. Evil communication corrupts good manner. I am yet to see a rotten apple placed in a basket of good apples that became a good apple. Instead, the good ones become rotten.

Life is like that! Cut off a part of you and preserve the remaining part or insist on keeping the whole and end up dying. Both decisions are hard decisions. But I’ll rather live with the consequences of the former than with the consequences of the latter. When you are confronted with the choice of choosing between two evils, choose the lesser evil and move on. Life is like that!

Mute Efe, (www.facebook.com/mutehimself)
+234-803-874-9796

Warning: All articles written and published by Mute Efe are the intellectual property of the writer, reproduction of the writer’s articles either in part or whole must be done with the prior consent of Mute Efe.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Your Presence Command Respect... / 2015 Writivism Short Story Prize: Call For Entries / CHECKING OUT By Chimamanda Adichie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.