Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please (2350 Views)

G / Name Suggestions Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2012
I was watching my bandwidth, last month it almost finished. This month, i was maintaining a very close watch, and today
January 04 - i calculated it and say that 20% of the bandwidth has been exhausted already - in 4 days?
At this rate, and yet traffick still seem to be on the rise, i doubt if this site (www..net) will survive till the end of the month. . . .

I need your suggestions please Is there any means of conserving the bandwidth? Maybe i should remove all graphics? Before the site goes offline and i start running kaba-kaba!

Meanwhile, as at a few months ago, i dont even use up to 10% of the bandwidth in one month. . .
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 4:09pm On Jan 04, 2012
is u smoking c[i]r[/i]ack?

99.9% hosting providers dole out unlimited b/with.

so what's ya problem?
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 04, 2012
Haba! i don enter am o! This January self, i don take all money chop turkey, partying and everything. . . . make i go check my adsense shange (brb)
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2012
HostGator usually offers the 1cent hosting . ,

Wait , i;ll get d coupon code for uuuuuuuu

on 2nd tot: make i borrow u bandwidth?? grin grin grin
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 04, 2012
let me borrow bandwidth first, abeg boys, make una donate bandwidth for me o - desperate situations call for desperate measures. Maybe i should divide the site and host some of the gadgets elsewhere.
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2012
Oya change ur namservers:

ns99.s[i]i[/i]lly-thread.com
ns100.s[i]i[/i]lly-thread.com

av done my part
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2012
mxxpunkxx:

Oya change your namservers:

ns99.s[i]i[/i]lly-thread.com
ns100.s[i]i[/i]lly-thread.com

av done my part
okay, i have changed it.

As a temporary measure, i have mobilized that my rather heavy sidebar and copied it from  http://.net/resources/sidebar/index.php to http://.com/resources/sidebar/index.php

Now that i remember that i have 2 domains www..net and www..com - i will think of other measures, meanwhile, suggestions are welcomed.

SAVE A BROTHER HERE!!
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2012
My website is very very detachable, maybe i should start detaching various sections to different places. According to analytics, the highest traffick areas are:
http://www.classrooms..net and http://www.blogs..net followed by http://www.tools..net

Maybe i should move those section elsewhere on the web?? I believe my host has unlimited bandwidth. . . .but them never pay salary naaa??
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Afam4eva(m): 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2012
It's a goo thing that your bandwidth is almost exhausted. Why not just get yourself a VPS.
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2012
afam4eva:

It's a goo thing that your bandwidth is almost exhausted. Why not just get yourself a VPS.
A good thing keh Why na? I am done for!!! The year is too early for that kinda spending now, we don take money chop fried turkey finish. . . .
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2012
I have realized the reason my bandwidth is going up and my alexa is going down. It is because of the pirate technique i used on my website in the first place.

Similar techniques i used with - http://.net/nairaland/ - was used on almost every section of the website (many of them are not obvious to regular users). My techniques allow my server to actually deliver several contents which are "spooled" from other servers, and so bandwidths get used up as fuel during the delivery. There is a prize to be paid for having a good alexa ranking afteral.

Anyway, i am planning to get a vps soonest, before the sites offline, i have some change with google and elsewhere.
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2012
*dhtml:

okay, i have changed it.

As a temporary measure, i have mobilized that my rather heavy sidebar and copied it from  http://.net/resources/sidebar/index.php to http://.com/resources/sidebar/index.php

Now that i remember that i have 2 domains www..net and www..com - i will think of other measures, meanwhile, suggestions are welcomed.

SAVE A BROTHER HERE!!

Your site's content do not adhere to my TOS.
So this DNS propagation would take about 24 - 48 days grin grin
Please bear with us
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 04, 2012
mxxpunkxx:

Your site's content do not adhere to my TOS.
So this DNS propagation would take about 24 - 48 days grin grin
Please bear with us
My site will have died completely by then according to the weather forecast!
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by brinebaba(m): 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2012
To begin with,what bandwidth size do you use undecided
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 04, 2012
brine baba:

To begin with,what bandwidth size do you use undecided
*Coughs* Errr 20GB i think. . . .
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by yawatide(f): 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2012
Some other things to take into consideration:

1) Check how many js and css files you are calling and look to reduce the sizes of those you have now.

2) Look to externalize certain files (like calling jquery from the share site, as opposed to from your own server

3) Look to optimize your images

4) Use semantic code (reduce use of tables)

5) Remove unnecessary white space in your back end code - I used to work for a company that did that in 2004 and it saved $20K in monthly bandwidth charges

Just a few things off the top of my head. Happy new year!
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 04, 2012
Mega Caching and if that doesn't work i know where we can steal bandwith angry "Get your masking gloves ready"
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 04, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

Some other things to take into consideration:

1) Check how many js and css files you are calling and look to reduce the sizes of those you have now.

2) Look to externalize certain files (like calling jquery from the share site, as opposed to from your own server

3) Look to optimize your images

4) Use semantic code (reduce use of tables)

5) Remove unnecessary white space in your back end code - I used to work for a company that did that in 2004 and it saved $20K in monthly bandwidth charges

Just a few things off the top of my head. Happy new year!
Most of those optimizations i do by default. However, all my traffick stats show increase in number of visitors, pageviews, time spent on site and all that.

pc guru:

Mega Caching and if that doesn't work i know where we can steal bandwith angry "Get your masking gloves ready"
Well. . . .21% bandwidth gone already, when i first posted it was around 19%. . . .
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Slyr0x: 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2012
Google "How to download bandWidth" cheesy wink
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 05, 2012
Is there any way to get all the bandwidth that has been wasting all these months?? 22% bandwidth gone in 4 days
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by yawatide(f): 9:15am On Jan 05, 2012
he he, dhtml you funny o!

I remember when you were busy posting how high your alexa ratings went.  I also remember when you had "done something" to your site (I think classroom) to your site as well.  Did you think this would make the number of visits reduce?  cool

Be that as it may, you should have planned for anticipated increase in traffic.  In other words, you should have been proactive and not reactive.  Your best bet is to change hosting plans to one that offers "unlimited" bandwidth/getting a VPS.  Anything else amounts to postponing doomsday  cool
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 05, 2012
In my entire life-time so far, i have never had to bother with bandwidth, i rarely even use up to 1/10th of my bandwidth self. This is a very new one to me entirely.
I mean, i know how the bandwidth works, yeah, tic toc like a clock, but i never considered it can get finished so quickly! 20GB??

Anyway, thank God for the fuel subsidy, Nigerian online traffick has reduced slightly. . . i think
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 05, 2012
The bandwidth consumption is now 30%. It was 20% yesterday. That means 10% was drained off today. . . .somehow.
At this rate, the site will vanish offline in the next 1 week or so?? and i will start to run kaba-kaba!
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by jmoore(m): 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
@dhtml, wetin you dey talk 20GB? I paid 2,500 naira/year for same bandwidth size. Are you a civil servant that always wait for salary. You must be kidding . 6,500 naira plus/year can get you more than 200GB-unlimited
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 10:13am On Jan 07, 2012
@dhtml

Maybe when I give u a resounding slap; then you'd start thinking of purchaing unlimited bandwidth,

Or is there bandwidth subsidy removal crisis?

What happened to the N1.5 million I lent you,,,,,,,,?

U spent it on dat girl when u shoulda even purchased a dedicated, offshore, VPS, abi?
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 07, 2012
I am running out of space too, and the next set of scripts i plan to install will eat up a lot of space and database and bandwidth. This first part i have done for my site is - testing the mike - the site is largely incomplete.
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by mxxpunkxx: 10:46am On Jan 07, 2012
^^ so much for being an economist. Nairaland's Sanusi
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 07, 2012
Haba. My site is a simple site, is it really worth all that wahala? Unlimited bandwidth vs VPS?
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by jmoore(m): 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
go for unlimited bandwidth. what are you doing with all those currencies?
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^Actually, i need to get a vps to execute the next phase of my website.
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by jmoore(m): 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
now you are talking like a pro
Re: Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^I started as a personal site just for me, myself and I. But it seems to have grown wings and is reaching out to other developers.
So i think the best thing is to upgrade it, before i start doing real business from it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Got Questions On Google Domains Hosting? / Can't Log In To Nairaland Using UC Browser / Linda Ikeji Copies Her Blog Posts Too

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.