Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers (1428 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Protesting Lawyers Disrupt NBA Session Over Amaechi / Protesting Lawyers Disrupt NBA Session Over Amaechi! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Rad1cal: 10:08pm On Jan 05, 2012
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, on Thursday shunned lawyers who marched to his office in protest at the fuel price hike.

The lawyers had under the aegis of the Nigerian Bar Association, Ikeja Branch marched from the Lagos High Court in Ikeja to the Governor’s Office at Alausa, Ikeja, demanding to see Fashola.

Led by the branch Chairman, Adegbamigbe Omole, the lawyers, all dressed in suits, left the high court at 10.20am and got to the Governor’s Office at 12.30pm.

They demanded the reversion of the fuel price from N141 to N65 and urged Nigerians to join the general strike fixed by labour leaders for Monday, January 9.

They were stopped at the gate by securitymen attached to the governor.

When a message was passed to the governor, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, about the presence of his colleagues at the gate, he said he was not aware that they were coming to see him.

He also said they should be told that he was in a meeting.

The son of legal icon, Gani Fawehinmi, Mohammed, and the wife of activist and human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, Funmi, were part of the protest

http://www.punchng.com/news/fashola-shuns-protesting-lawyers/
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Beaf: 10:14pm On Jan 05, 2012
Oshiomole and Fashola are the only ACN governors who aren't playing the game of hypocrisy. Fashola actually chaired the committee that demanded that the subsidy be removed.
As for Oshiomole, his antecedents as a labour are clear.

All the other ACN governors are lying hypocrites, pretending to hate the very thing they demanded before the FG even voiced the idea.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Remii(m): 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2012
I think hes should have been out to address them. If only to collect letter for onward transfer to FGN. There is life after Government House, last month it was Lekki Toll gate power show, today is snubbing his colleague. Emmanuel Nsan did the same to doctors as Health Minister under Buhari/ Idiagbon, when is he and Idiagbon today. Power is transient. These lawyers made him larger than others during gubernatorial debate for second terms about this time last year.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Gbawe: 10:36pm On Jan 05, 2012
Fashola is not God and he is certainly not the voice of perfection. He is human. This does not make him a bad leader but I don't agree with his support of subsidy removal at all. I personally think Fashola is looking at this purely from the perspective of gaining more funds. Well, that is not what this should be about. It should be about the millions of overburdened Nigerians plunged into more misery and poverty because of corruption and the inability of Government to rise up to its duty of care.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by aljharem(m): 10:38pm On Jan 05, 2012
Very soon Fashola would account for tinubu's expenditure. Just very soon

ACN PDP they are all the same
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by philip0906(m): 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2012
alj harem:

Very soon Fashola would account for tinubu's expenditure. Just very soon

ACN PDP they are all the same
Gbam
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by julioralph(m): 11:20pm On Jan 05, 2012
meeehhhnnnn na wa for dis fashola! since he win 2nd term d bros don change patapata!!! angry angry
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by montelik(m): 11:23pm On Jan 05, 2012
Gbawe:

Fashola is not God and he is certainly not the voice of perfection. He is human. This does not make him a bad leader but I don't agree with his support of subsidy removal at all. I personally think Fashola is looking at this purely from the perspective of gaining more funds. Well, that is not what this should be about. It should be about the millions of overburdened Nigerians plunged into more misery and poverty because of corruption and the inability of Government to rise up to its duty of care.

This is how majority of d governors see it, hence their active support for it. After being forced to accept an increase in minimum wage, many are simply so happy to take whatever extra funds can be generated by subsidy removal for their budgets.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Funkymallam(m): 11:23pm On Jan 05, 2012
Gbawe:

Bros, u r contradicting urself again.
1. U dont 'agree' Fashola is for subsidy removal.
2. U think he is looking @ it frm more money angle.
Haba, make up your mind, nobody said he is a bad leader.

1. How will he get more money without subsidy removal?
2. Why couldnt he address his fellow lawyers?

Call a spade a spade and quit being sentimental, its not good for u.
Thnx
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by 2mch(m): 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2012
Very disappointed. I am sure he will come out soon apologizing and claiming he was "Busy". Otherwise angry angry angry. We shall overcome and achieve our aim. We deal with deserters later. cry
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by jmaine: 11:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
Funkymallam:

Bros, u r contradicting urself again.
1. U dont 'agree' Fashola is for subsidy removal.
2. U think he is looking @ it frm more money angle.
Haba, make up your mind, nobody said he is a bad leader.

1. How will he get more money without subsidy removal?
2. Why couldnt he address his fellow lawyers?

Call a spade a spade and quit being sentimental, its not good for u.
Thnx

I feel you mis read point one. . .what Gbawe simply said is that, he is not in support of Fashola approval of subsidy removal . . citing reasons why Fashola may have chosen the part of favoring subsidy removal .
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by aljharem(m): 11:37pm On Jan 05, 2012
jmaine:

I think you mis read point one. . .what Gbawe simply said is that, he is not in support of Fashola approval of subsidy removal . . citing reasons why he may chosen the part of favoring subsidy removal .

i apologise for the earlier harsh exchange of words.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by jmaine: 11:43pm On Jan 05, 2012
alj harem:

i apologise for the earlier harsh exchange of words.

Bros we be one everly and you are still ma man  wink . . Atimes nerves flare up, especially during critical times such as this, so i understood the fact that, passion took over us briefly   . . .

Oga Harem, abeg carry on bruv  . .nothing do you  grin . . That na past matter  smiley . . . and  Your bruv no dey carry grudge  smiley . . 
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Gbawe: 11:52pm On Jan 05, 2012
jmaine:

I think you mis read point one. . .what Gbawe simply said is that, he is not in support of Fashola approval of subsidy removal . . citing reasons why Fashola may have chosen the part of favoring subsidy removal .

Precisely. Thanks Jmaine. Your are a gent.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by jmaine: 11:55pm On Jan 05, 2012
Gbawe:

Precisely. [b]Thank[/b]s Jmaine. Your are a gent.

Please mention cheesy . . . You welcome bruv grin
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by aljharem(m): 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
jmaine:

Bros we be one everly and you are still ma man  wink . . Atimes nerves flare up, especially during critical times such as this, so i understood the fact that, passion took over us briefly   . . .

Oga Harem, abeg carry on bruv  . .nothing do you  grin . . That na past matter  smiley . . . and  Your bruv no dey carry grudge  smiley . . 

cool cool cool thanks brother
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by PointB: 12:05am On Jan 06, 2012
Disingenuously making excuses for fashola, but never any foe iwela et al. I laugh in hypocrisy!

at any rate damning the jobless protesting lawyers by fashola is very appropriate. Smart and forward looking hardworking and confident people support fuel subsidy removal. Enough said!
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by youngmonie: 12:06am On Jan 06, 2012
Lets  not put sentiment into this, Fine most of the populace do not agree with the  policy but trust me all the governors do: Especially Lagos because it really need those funds due to the intensive capital investment  the LASG  is carrying out and planning to carry  out.  so lets not even play that ACN  PDP game
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by adino(m): 4:49am On Jan 06, 2012
Gbawe shut up. You irritate me. BLOODY HYPOCRITE
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Beaf: 5:01am On Jan 06, 2012
I get really shocked whenever I hear that there are lawyers or doctors who do not support the removal of the subsidy. These are meant to be people with quite high IQ's.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by EkoIle1: 5:23am On Jan 06, 2012
So anybody fit waka to the governors office without giving him a heads up and expect him to drop the people's business just like that?

Nigerians sha, they sure know how to get ahead of themselves.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by musiwa43: 5:53am On Jan 06, 2012
, na wao
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Funkymallam(m): 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2012
jmaine:

I feel you mis read point one. . .what Gbawe simply said is that, he is not in support of Fashola approval of subsidy removal . . citing reasons why Fashola may have chosen the part of favoring subsidy removal .

Thnx for that correction bro.
@Gbawe. Accept my apology.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by hercules07: 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2012
See as people dey apologise for here, you guys are meant to fight fight fight jare. Fashola is in support of subsidy removal because he needs the money for the state.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Kx: 1:12pm On Jan 06, 2012
Why did they carry aluta to him in the first place?
Is Fashola any different considering the lekki tolls issue?
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Gbawe: 1:44pm On Jan 06, 2012
adino:

Gbawe shut up. You irritate me. BLOODY HYPOCRITE

And who are you? Anyway, by their previous posts ye shall know them. Here we go:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=839415.msg9904344#msg9904344

Do not mind those little minds and pathetic losers, some of them even create similar username like his just to cry and sulk for attention. Oga Beaf enjoy the ride while it lasts.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=839415.msg9904331#msg9904331

Beaf go beat yeye and rubbish out of that mouth runner and local champion (inconsequential nairaland election). Gbawe will end up in hospital with a goatish aregbesola crazy beard.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=826610.msg9782274#msg9782274

Rauf Aregbesola, the Goat bearded governor and the MOST USELESS GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA TODAY

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=810859.msg9636798#msg9636798

Fake Engineer Rauf Aregbesola the Goat bearded governor and the most USELESS governor in Nigeria presently (in a very close battle with T.A.  Orji and Uduaghan).
With the rate at which he is going he will soon overcome unLucky Igbinedion as the worst governor ever in Nigeria's history.
I laugh in ACN  (useless party of hypocrites)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=710456.msg8690798#msg8690798

Evidence of Fashola working seriously. badbelle people go cry. EKO ATI BAJE
Welcome to River Lekki: Just after a one man-lover downpour on 10/07/2011

Fashola is working, Lagos is Flooding and Tinubu is Chopping
No single Drainage System Constructed in Lagos for more 12 Years Now and Still Counting
No single canal Completely Cleared in more than 12 Years Now
Imagine all These Nonsense Happening in a Coastal Area
All Canals are now dumpsites covered with excreta and bags of rubbish
I LAUGH I ACN

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=807359.msg9595727#msg9595727

Happy Birthday My President and Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of Nigeria (Africa's Best). Oga Goodluck be very firm and ruthless henceforth in your decisions, since it is obvious too many people are bound to sabotage you. But, they will stumble, scatter and be completely destroyed. Take note of positive criticisms but never listen to silly criticisms because those fools are not part of Nigeria's future.
No matter what happens Nigeria will be great again and all bad belle people will be left behind (90% foolish nairalanders).

Oga Adino, I think we have enough to work out the source of your "irritation". You are a slavish Beaf groupie (you even parrot his silly Aregbesola noise), you hate Aregbesola, Fashola, the ACN and pretty much the SW. You love and defend GEJ obsessively ,like your Nairaland hero you have a crush on, and hate "90% foolish Nairalander" perhaps because you can't stand their criticism of GEJ . Abeg, get as "irritated" as you want. Irritation and rabid bad belle will soon turn into high blood pressure if you are not there already.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Gbawe: 2:44pm On Jan 06, 2012
Eko Ile:

So anybody fit waka to the governors office without giving him a heads up and expect him to drop the people's business just like that?

That is why I did not bother addressing the point when it was raised by Funkymallam. Fashola is not obligated to recieve impromptu visitors. Criticising him for that is a non-starter because it is his prerogative to grant them an audience or not.

youngmonie:

Lets  not put sentiment into this, Fine most of the populace do not agree with the  policy but trust me all the governors do: Especially Lagos because it really need those funds due to the intensive capital investment  the LASG  is carrying out and planning to carry  out.  so lets not even play that ACN  PDP game

This is precisely what I said initially when I talked of Fashola looking at this purely from a perpective of more funds. I don't agree with his stand at all. You are right to conclude this is not an ACN or PDP issue . It is about what is best for Nigerians. Fashola can never be the sole authority on that and his endorsement of subsidy removal does not give the action legitimacy.

We all saw Governors accepting to pay the minimum wage before the election. Now many Governors , after the election wins, are desperate for more funds to meet obligations they hastily committed to with ulterior motives. They played cynical politics when it suited them in my opinion and Nigerians should not be made to bear the burden of any frustrated search for cash from those who signed up for what was always more populist than practical.

In my opinion, Governors should push for more cash from the centre, cut waste and profligacy themselves and demand cost-cutting at federal level before backing a blanket removal of subsidy. Much greater than the N1 trillion "savings" from fuel subsidy can be released if our leaders challenge each others integrity and readiness to do what is right rather than just tacitly endorse the wrongdoing, corruption and outright criminality of each other as a culture. We all see rich nations cutting cost don't we? What is wrong with us in Nigeria? WHy is cutting 'fat' a no-go area especially as we are morbidly 'obese'?

What will  continue to 'fuel' ( grin grin) the anger against subsidy removal is how it rose astronomically in 2011 under GEJ to N1.4 trillion !!!! GEJ and his crew , when subsidy was circa N300 billion, then have the nerve to speak as if this N1.4 trillion is suddenly the benchmark Nigerians , without question, must blindly accept the Government will spend on subsidy each year henceforth to then justify their ruse of N1 trillion "savings". What part of grossly "over-inflated" do some Nigerians not understand given what susbsidy was and what it has now jumped to?

Savvy Nigerians know that fraud drove subsidy up to N1.4 trillion and not legitimate consumption. The likes of Falana, El Rufai, Buhari, Tam David-West, NBA President and many public observers and analysts stop short of outrightly labelling the President corrupt but we should all note the number of times they all say consistently that Nigerians should not pay for the corruption, inability and innefficiency of Government.

We were all here on NL to see the absolutely desperate effort of team GEJ , from day one of 'sorting' the Governors to endorse GEJ against the Turai/Aondoakaa crew, through to winning the election. No expense was spared and many became hideously rich at various levels selling votes/endorsement/political machinery etc. Money was flying out of Nigeria's coffers like it was going out of Fashion. With all that in mind , the likes of Falana et al , and indeed most of us, know why subsidy was unacceptably high in 2011. They know what a blanket removal is aiming to do.

I am personally disappointed Fashola endorsed an action many view is being carried out, even as they can't say it publicly, to help GEJ sweep monumental corruption he is not ignorant of under the carpet. With corruption fought robustly, and even 'sensible' cost cutting, there is no justifcation for Nigeria not to be able to enjoy subsidy of N300 to N400 billion till certain conditions are met. Fashola should not have involved himself with an action creating real anger with how it is percieved as a way of letting Nigerians take the fall for the failings and hideous corruption, wanton profligacy and insensitive refusal for self-sacrifice , from those best placed to do so, that have been the hallmark of the GEJ Government since he became substantive President.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Akanbiedu(m): 7:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
Gbawe:

That is why I did not bother addressing the point when it was raised by Funkymallam. Fashola is not obligated to recieve impromptu visitors. Criticising him for that is a non-starter because it is his prerogative to grant them an audience or not.

This is precisely what I said initially when I talked of Fashola looking at this purely from a perpective of more funds. I don't agree with his stand at all. You are right to conclude this is not an ACN or PDP issue . It is about what is best for Nigerians. Fashola can never be the sole authority on that and his endorsement of subsidy removal does not give the action legitimacy.

We all saw Governors accepting to pay the minimum wage before the election. Now many Governors , after the election wins, are desperate for more funds to meet obligations they hastily committed to with ulterior motives. They played cynical politics when it suited them in my opinion and Nigerians should not be made to bear the burden of any frustrated search for cash from those who signed up for what was always more populist than practical.

In my opinion, Governors should push for more cash from the centre, cut waste and profligacy themselves and demand cost-cutting at federal level before backing a blanket removal of subsidy. Much greater than the N1 trillion "savings" from fuel subsidy can be released if our leaders challenge each others integrity and readiness to do what is right rather than just tacitly endorse the wrongdoing, corruption and outright criminality of each other as a culture. We all see rich nations cutting cost don't we? What is wrong with us in Nigeria? WHy is cutting 'fat' a no-go area especially as we are morbidly 'obese'?

What will  continue to 'fuel' ( grin grin) the anger against subsidy removal is how it rose astronomically in 2011 under GEJ to N1.4 trillion !!!! GEJ and his crew , when subsidy was circa N300 billion, then have the nerve to speak as if this N1.4 trillion is suddenly the benchmark Nigerians , without question, must blindly accept the Government will spend on subsidy each year henceforth to then justify their ruse of N1 trillion "savings". What part of grossly "over-inflated" do some Nigerians not understand given what susbsidy was and what it has now jumped to?

Savvy Nigerians know that fraud drove subsidy up to N1.4 trillion and not legitimate consumption. The likes of Falana, El Rufai, Buhari, Tam David-West, NBA President and many public observers and analysts stop short of outrightly labelling the President corrupt but we should all note the number of times they all say consistently that Nigerians should not pay for the corruption, inability and innefficiency of Government.

We were all here on NL to see the absolutely desperate effort of team GEJ , from day one of 'sorting' the Governors to endorse GEJ against the Turai/Aondoakaa crew, through to winning the election. No expense was spared and many became hideously rich at various levels selling votes/endorsement/political machinery etc. Money was flying out of Nigeria's coffers like it was going out of Fashion. With all that in mind , the likes of Falana et al , and indeed most of us, know why subsidy was unacceptably high in 2011. They know what a blanket removal is aiming to do.

I am personally disappointed Fashola endorsed an action many view is being carried out, even as they can't say it publicly, to help GEJ sweep monumental corruption he is not ignorant of under the carpet. With corruption fought robustly, and even 'sensible' cost cutting, there is no justifcation for Nigeria not to be able to enjoy subsidy of N300 to N400 billion till certain conditions are met. Fashola should not have involved himself with an action creating real anger with how it is percieved as a way of letting Nigerians take the fall for the failings and hideous corruption, wanton profligacy and insensitive refusal for self-sacrifice , from those best placed to do so, that have been the hallmark of the GEJ Government since he became substantive President.

Bolded is one of the reasons I support subsidy removal. Imagine extra 1 trillion naira stolen paid. It's not like we can do anything about it if the ruler at that time is not willing to fight corruption. The whole process is so cumbersome and filled with loop holes. Now imagine if the 1.3 trillion naira has been paid into the federation account implying more money to states. Chances are that some state govts will use the money judiciously than the robbery going on at the center. All supporters of TRUE federalism must support this move.

Gbawe, forget about the masses my friend, they need to see the implication of voting based on sentiments.
Re: Fashola Shuns Protesting Lawyers by Rad1cal: 1:23am On Jan 07, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Bolded is one of the reasons I support subsidy removal. Imagine extra 1 trillion naira stolen paid. It's not like we can do anything about it if the ruler at that time is not willing to fight corruption. The whole process is so cumbersome and filled with loop holes. Now imagine if the 1.3 trillion naira has been paid into the federation account implying more money to states. Chances are that some state govts will use the money judiciously than the robbery going on at the center. All supporters of TRUE federalism must support this move.

Gbawe, forget about the masses my friend, they need to see the implication of voting based on sentiments.

You support subsidy but yet your last sentence cancels your initial stand. you must be very confused

(1) (Reply)

A Poem On Current Social Issues, With Reference To The Current Situation In 9ja / Stop Chasing Shadows, Mark Tells Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala / Comandant AFCSC Jaji And Corp Comander Sacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.