Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? (19168 Views)

What Does The Bible Mean By 'death' According To Gen 2vs17, 3vs4 And Rom 5vs14 / What Does The Bible Mean Whenever It Uses This Word? / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by binhozie(m): 2:53am On Jan 06, 2012
New International Version (©1984)
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

New Living Translation (©2007)
"When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again.

English Standard Version (©2001)
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Pls i dont understand, because i hear so many repititions in the church or in prayer houses exactly as is described. In fact i do it from time to time.
But i dont understand the "vain"part. What makes itvain?
When does it become vain?
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Image123(m): 7:33am On Jan 06, 2012
Vain repetitions is routine prayers, just to fill in the gap/time. Like chanting a phrase many times. Reading a prayer/passage a couple of times e.g 3times, 7times. Saying the same thing at designated times e.g every 12o'clock, or 3times a day etc. Some do it in an attempt to speak in tongues, deceiving themselves.
Vain repetition though should not be confused with sincere prayer of importunity.

1 Like

Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by numo86(m): 10:34am On Jan 06, 2012
Image123:

Vain repetitions is routine prayers, just to fill in the gap/time. Like chanting a phrase many times. Reading a prayer/passage a couple of times e.g 3times, 7times. Saying the same thing at designated times e.g every 12o'clock, or 3times a day etc. Some do it in an attempt to speak in tongues, deceiving themselves.
Vain repetition though should not be confused with sincere prayer of importunity.

GBAM!!!!!:, ur answer is perfect, and also many say like 1billion amens b4 they end there prayers, thats absurd and not accordin to Jesus's instruction on how to prayer, that too is vain repitition,
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorAIO: 4:09pm On Jan 06, 2012
bobobobobobobo shashashamamamakilibboshaikaminiminim niminimini.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 06, 2012
Compare and contrast,

The prayers the prophets of Baal made to their god vs Elijah's prayer.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by ogajim(m): 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
Pastor AIO:

bobobobobobobo shashashamamamakilibboshaikaminiminim niminimini.

You want to kill folks with laughter man, it is hilarious when they switch to that mode.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Joagbaje(m): 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2012
@op
The heathen worshippers believed that their suffering in repetition of petition will cause answers. Just like the prophets of Baal .

1 Kings 18:26
26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.

Faith is not by many words. God is not had of hearing
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 23, 2012
I have a different point of view according to the bible.
- Prayers can be repeated and on same subject matter and at a particular time if possible: Luke 11:5-8

- Prayers can be prayed at a certain time e.g Jesus prayed often at midnight/study other prophets and apostles and christians: example Acts 13

- Prayers can be repeated, i mean a single phrase can be prayed until you recieve and answer e.g Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane prayed the same
prayer through out the midnight: Luke 22:4-42. Also check David on Psalms 119:62

Be bless as the Holy spirit guide you into praying prayers that shake heaven and bring down answers
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 23, 2012
Image123:

- Prayers can be repeated, i mean a single phrase can be prayed until you recieve an answer e.g Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane prayed the same
prayer through out the midnight: Luke 22:4-42. Also read about the prophets, apostles and christian you will realise that there are particular times that
they prayed especially in the midnight hour.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Judek2(m): 9:42am On Jan 23, 2012
quote from [Heaut. ver. 880. ]
"Pray thee, wife, cease from Stunning the gods with thanksgivings, because thy child is in safety; unless thou judgest of them from thyself, that they cannot Understand a thing, unless they are told of it a Hundred Times."

Prayer requires more of the heart than of the tongue. The eloquence of prayer consists in the fervency of desire, and the simplicity of faith. The abundance of fine thoughts, studied and vehement motions, and the order and politeness of the expressions, are things which compose a mere human harangue, not an humble and Christian prayer.
Our trust and confidence ought to proceed from that which God is able to do in us, and not from that which we can say to him.
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

[1 KINGS 18:26] And they took bullock which was given them, and they dressed it,and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon saying, O Baal,hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered, And they leaped upon the altar which was made

[ACTS 19:34]
But when they recognized that Alexander was a Jew, everyone started to shout in unison, "Artemis of the Ephesians is great!" They kept doing this for about two hours.

Long prayers are not condemned, but vain, needless, and superstitious ones. Cos its practiced to pagans who worship deaf and dead gods and not the living God.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Judek2(m): 10:01am On Jan 23, 2012
East:

- Prayers can be repeated, i mean a single phrase can be prayed until you recieve an answer e.g Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane prayed the same
prayer through out the midnight: Luke 22:4-42. Also read about the prophets, apostles and christian you will realise that there are particular times that

This is the sentiment of a Mohammedan, liking to repetition of prayers; they often use such words as the following:
O God, O God, O God, O God! -
O Lord, O Lord, O Lord, O Lord!

O living, O immortal, O living, O immortal,
O living, O immortal, O living, O immortal!

O Creator of the heavens and the earth!

O thou who art endowed with majesty and authority! O wonderful, etc.

This is Vain and needless. It an even result of mockery.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorKun(m): 11:50am On Jan 23, 2012
Truth be told most prayers in churches and amongst brethen do not conform to Jesus christ teachings on prayer in Matthew 6 the summary of which is to keep it simple and sincere.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Image123(m): 5:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
East:

We're saying the same thing in different ways. Iguess you missed the part where i wrote "Vain repetition though should not be confused with sincere prayer of importunity."
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by muyoto: 10:17pm On Feb 23, 2012
I think the emphasis should be on the word vain; not all repetitions necessarily are.

1 Like

Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 24, 2012
Your truth is helping no one cos you are unable to subtantiate it with scripture.

Is this how you are taught to teach others by just simple labelling that their prayers do not conform?

Until you expentiate on the teachings of jesus in Matthew 6, i will not be able to grasp what you mean brother.

Pastor Kun:

Truth be told most prayers in churches and amongst brethen do not conform to Jesus christ teachings on prayer in Matthew 6 the summary of which is to keep it simple and sincere.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by uvalued(m): 2:47am On Nov 01, 2016
this verse also disturbed me . but this answers it quite nicely and neatly

Jimmy Akin, Catholic author and apologist, explains the vain repetition of pagan prayer similarly, but also reminds us that the pagan gods did not know what people wanted before asking, whereas the Jewish/Christian God "knows what you need before you ask." He further notes that Jesus, at other times, praises repetition in prayer (e.g., the parable of the unjust judge).

It is therefore the attitude towards and perception of God that Jesus condemns. Again, the pagan attitude is one of gods who are oblivious to our needs, and prayer as a formulaic key to unlock the gods' power.

AND

"Effectual fervent prayer" does not count the amount of speech or number of repetitions used, rather it trusts in being rightly related to a personal God who hears and answers prayer.

Jesus's admonitions are to believers to pray "as if God were listening to every word you say", therefore "much speaking" isn't going to make Him hear you any better, believing will.
share improve this answer
answered
Apr 18 '14 at 4:14

Tau
3,264●1●10●43

http://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/questions/4207/what-does-jesus-mean-by-vain-repetition-or-babbling-in-matthew-67

1 Like

Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by johnw74: 4:19am On Nov 01, 2016
VAIN:
excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited:
a vain dandy.
proceeding from or showing pride in or concern about one's appearance, qualities, etc.; resulting from or displaying vanity :
He made some vain remarks about his accomplishments.
ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile:
vain hopes; a vain effort; a vain war.
without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless:
vain pageantry; vain display.
Archaic. senseless or foolish.

in vain,
without effect or avail; to no purpose:

It is senseless and without effect to pray - talk to a person who has died,
let alone pray - say the same prayer over and over again to a person who has died,
as in the Hail Mary, that is vain repetition.

Pray to the person Jesus said to pray to,
and the person that He prayed to,
pray to Father God.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorAIO: 9:24am On Nov 01, 2016
johnw74:

It is senseless and without effect to pray - talk to a person who has died,
let alone pray - say the same prayer over and over again to a person who has died,
as in the Hail Mary, that is vain repetition.

Why is it vain to pray to a person who has died? Are the dead ineffectual?
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 12:23pm On Nov 01, 2016
Judek2:

This is the sentiment of a Mohammedan, liking to repetition of prayers; they often use such words as the following:
O God, O God, O God, O God! -
O Lord, O Lord, O Lord, O Lord!

O living, O immortal, O living, O immortal,
O living, O immortal, O living, O immortal!

O Creator of the heavens and the earth!

O thou who art endowed with majesty and authority! O wonderful, etc.

This is Vain and needless. It an even result of mockery.

This is just a perfect example of vain repetition!

You see some churches who say; fall down and die, fall down and die, fall down and die, fall down and die.... continuously, for a long time; this is vain repetition and it is not biblical.

As believers our prayer should rather be backed up by God's word: if you want to pray for blessings, remind him of his word that talks about blessings. Whatever you want to pray about, there's a verse of the word that covers it, so, it's more fruitful praying in line with the word of God, than engaging in vain repetition.

The Bible says: concerning the word of my mouth, command ye me. Our prayers is more effective when we pray in consonance with the word, as it affects what we're asking for.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by analice107: 2:44pm On Nov 01, 2016

What Jesus did is not repetition, its called 'One Line Prayer'.

Vain repetition is what we were doing wen we were in Catholic Church. Praying the Rosary takes alot of repetitions.
You start with, Glory be to the father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. In all you pray up to 53 sets of repetitive chants. the same thing over and over. Three times a day.

Another example is the way Muslims pray.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorAIO: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2016
analice107:

Vain repetition is what we were doing wen we were in Catholic Church. Praying the Rosary takes alot of repetitions.
You start with, Glory be to the father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. In all you pray up to 53 sets of repetitive chants. the same thing over and over. Three times a day.

It is only vain if it is ineffectual. That is what Vain means here. Worthless.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2016
analice107:

What is d difference between Jesus 'one line prayer' and repeating glory be to d father son and spirit.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

It is only vain if it is ineffectual. That is what Vain means here. Worthless.

and this
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by analice107: 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2016
Ubenedictus:
What is d difference between Jesus 'one line prayer' and repeating glory be to d father son and spirit.
Am feeling very strong now, wen an better i will elaborate.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by johnw74: 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

Why is it vain to pray to a person who has died? Are the dead ineffectual?

Does the Bible say we should pray to any who have died, or to Angels?

Jesus said to pray to Father God:
Luk 11:1 And it came to pass, that as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said to him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
Luk 11:2 And he said to them, When ye pray, say, Our Father who art in heaven....
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorAIO: 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2016
johnw74:

Does the Bible say we should pray to any who have died, or to Angels?

Jesus said to pray to Father God:
Luk 11:1 And it came to pass, that as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said to him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
Luk 11:2 And he said to them, When ye pray, say, Our Father who art in heaven....

Did the bible say that you should eat Garri?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by johnw74: 12:41am On Nov 02, 2016
PastorAIO:

Did the bible say that you should eat Garri?

You are free to pray to people who have died,
I will continue to pray to only God who I know hears and answers.
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by PastorAIO: 1:10am On Nov 02, 2016
johnw74:

You are free to pray to people who have died,
I will continue to pray to only God who I know hears and answers.

We are both free to do whatever we want, but the point I've made, and I hope you understand, is that you cannot falsely use the bible to buttress whatever prejudices you may be bearing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by johnw74: 5:15am On Nov 02, 2016
PastorAIO:

We are both free to do whatever we want, but the point I've made, and I hope you understand, is that you cannot falsely use the bible to buttress whatever prejudices you may be bearing.

I don't pray to any who have died, but to God

Jesus said pray to Father God,
I posted from the Bible supporting that

You say that's falsely using the Bible to buttress prejudices, duh
Re: Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7? by johnw74: 12:33am On Nov 03, 2016
Don't talk to those who have died and who cannot talk back to you,
don't pray the same thing over and over again,

Get to know God, it's much better talking to Him who hears and can make Himself heard.

(1) (Reply)

HELP! My Prayers Work On People Than Myself... / Spirit, Soul and Body: Man's Tripartite Nature Explained with Robot Concept / Okorocha Tells Priests & Laity In Ahiara Diocese To Obey The Pope’s Directive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.