Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires (2912 Views)

Marion Jones Former Sprinter Released From Prison / Marion Jones' Results Dating To 2000 Wiped Out For Doping / Marion Jones: She Finally Admits Using Drugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by eldee(m): 7:47am On Oct 06, 2007
One Of the biggest sport scandals of our time has finally come to an end. The most sucessful female sprinter in the Sidney Olympics has admitted to doing drugs. This is a very shameful occurence for Marion Jones, The United States Of America and The Athletics Body as a whole. Marion Jones has admitted to taking steroids and lying to federal investigators. She might go to jail but she came clean in a press conference yesterday night.

All Things Considered, October 5, 2007 · Olympic track and field star Marion Jones has pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators about using steroids.

The three-time Olympic gold medalist also announced her retirement from the sport on Friday.

Jones had adamantly defended herself against allegations of steroid use before the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, where she won five medals until yesterday.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by 9ja4eva: 9:01am On Oct 06, 2007
So sad.

Why she talk true sef?

America makes and destroys people
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by iice(f): 9:19am On Oct 06, 2007
Omigosh! I loved watching her race
Eyah. . .chaiii! That's sad ooo
What about her medals? Were they taken back?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by 9ja4eva: 9:22am On Oct 06, 2007
They are likely to be taken back and she might likely go to jail
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by chiegemba(f): 9:24am On Oct 06, 2007
9ja4eva:

They are likely to be taken back and she might likely go to jail
u b judge? tonguego sleep grin
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by iice(f): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2007
Yes o. . .eyah you are right, she will likely lose her medals, chaiii these steriods thing masef. . .too much wahala
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by eldee(m): 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2007
when you see her crying you'll think she did not do it intentionally
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by almondjoy(f): 2:39pm On Oct 06, 2007
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21138883/

Well I guess even the "Americans" have their own group of 419 people too. Not that we did not already know that.  I just wanted concrete proof from the "horses"mouth! tongue

Confirming suspicions of how they can afford to bag all the gold medals during Olympic fests, here is the solid proof that they too can do anything to "win".  I must commend the authorities for putting enough pressure on Marion Jones with their ongoing investigation to crack this story wide open.  I must commend Marion Jones and her coach for also coming forward with their confessions and admissions.  She was not caught and only confessed with mounting pressures around her.

After 3 gold medals, this is what it has come down to!  What a shame.  I guess in Nigeria this would never happen.  Even when caught, we will still tend to lie through our teeths.  I guess this is a lesson for all.   

Remember that another athelete "Flo Jo" Florence Griffith Joyner after much speculations about using steriods, denied all allegations and ended up dying mysteriously from "seizures"!!! 

Are Nigerians capable of this kind of '"tranparency" without being caught red-handed in the act? wink

Can we learn to admit that we are wrong and apologise if we ought to?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by texazzpete(m): 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2007
Flo Jo was never convicted of any drug use. There were rumors and finger pointing, but she never tested positive. We believe in innocent until proven guilty, don't we?
That's why your jibe at her and her death is in extremely bad taste. In simple terms she died from an epileptic seizure of some sorts. The autopsy found no evidence to show her death was related to drug use or abuse.

Don't be derisive towards the dead.

Other than that, your article's ok. . .
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by almondjoy(f): 3:52pm On Oct 06, 2007
I did not mean to belittle Flo Jo in anyway.  I just felt that she was not honest.  Just a hunch.  If this Marion Jones girl and a host of others can deal in this undetectable steriod, why not her?   May her soul rest in peace--but I still had my suspicions.  Steroid us is very common with athletes this days and even those you could vouch for disappointed you in the end.  Americans will do anything to stay on top of the world---in all aspects---no matter how trivial.

Don't forget--this substance is not detectable---so how can you test positive for something you cannot detect. Marion Jones never tested positive mind you.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by tollu: 4:01pm On Oct 06, 2007
Abi o, i saw the news clip and she was so pitiable and awwww men.
I totally love Marion Jones but she got caught so tongue
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by texazzpete(m): 4:28pm On Oct 06, 2007
almondjoy:

I did not mean to belittle Flo Jo in anyway. I just felt that she was not honest. Just a hunch. If this Marion Jones girl and a host of others can deal in this undetectable steriod, why not her? May her soul rest in peace--but I still had my suspicions. Steroid us is very common with athletes this days and even those you could vouch for disappointed you in the end. Americans will do anything to stay on top of the world---in all aspects---no matter how trivial.

Don't forget--this substance is not detectable---so how can you test positive for something you cannot detect. Marion Jones never tested positive mind you.

Remember to say 'some' Americans.
It's terrible to generalize. We'll get all offended it someone says Nigerians are all thieves that will do anything for money.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by almondjoy(f): 4:42pm On Oct 06, 2007
Yes! "some" americans that have the power to make decisions for most! Like Marion Jones that represents the whole of USA. Now, not only Marion Jones must bear the shame but the whole of the USA to in front of the whole world. Not happy about it, but just the sad reality that a few can make or break "the whole"!
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by naijaking1: 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2007
Agree that Ms. Jones gold were for America, and now her shame must also be for America.

What can we learn from this experience as naija people?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Nobody: 12:33am On Oct 07, 2007
I was very sad to hear that she actually did this.
I remeber her 2004 denials and I believed her.
I wanted to believe her.
What a shame.

BTW,her new and second husband is Nigerian.
Bamidele Thompson.
why did he marry a doping girl?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Danmasani(m): 2:28am On Oct 07, 2007
nwando:

I was very sad to hear that she actually did this.
I remeber her 2004 denials and I believed her.
I wanted to believe her.
What a shame.

BTW,her new and second husband is Nigerian.
Bamidele Thompson.
why did he marry a doping girl?

Obadele Thompson is not Nigerian. He's from Barbados. I wonder where u get your info from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obadele_Thompson
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Nobody: 2:48am On Oct 07, 2007
please crucify me for thinking Emeka is an Igbo man
silly me,what do I know tongue
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by eldee(m): 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2007
she didn't get caught, she told the truth
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by IYaeto(f): 1:36am On Oct 08, 2007
What took her so long?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by texazzpete(m): 7:28am On Oct 08, 2007
naijaking1:

Agree that Ms. Jones gold were for America, and now her shame must also be for America.

What can we learn from this experience as naija people?
almondjoy:

Yes! "some" americans that have the power to make decisions for most! Like Marion Jones that represents the whole of USA. Now, not only Marion Jones must bear the shame but the whole of the USA to in front of the whole world. Not happy about it, but just the sad reality that a few can make or break "the whole"!

If Marion Jones, an athlete represents the whole of America, how much more does the Speaker Patricia Etteh represent? So i take it to mean that you feel like a thief, huh? You won't feel angry if a chinese guy walks up to you and calls you a thief? Afterall, your Speaker is a thief!
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by A40(m): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2007
The IAAF president said it all.She is one of the biggest frauds in athletic history
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Seun(m): 11:35am On Oct 08, 2007
They all use drugs - during training, at least. That's why they keep breaking records. The trick is to not get caught. Think about it - if people don't use performance enhancing drugs, very few world records will be broken. In fact, the number of world records broken will go down every year until it becomes zero. Won't that be boring?
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by A40(m): 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2007
And to think she gave everyone the impression that she has a squeaky image its amazing and when you se how they jubilate after winning a race knowing fully well they cheated
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by 9ja4eva: 1:32am On Oct 12, 2007
A-40:

The IAAF president said it all.She is one of the biggest frauds in athletic history

IAAF dey craze.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by debosky(m): 1:41am On Oct 12, 2007
Seun:

They all use drugs - during training, at least. That's why they keep breaking records. The trick is to not get caught. Think about it - if people don't use performance enhancing drugs, very few world records will be broken. In fact, the number of world records broken will go down every year until it becomes zero. Won't that be boring?
That is like saying without fabrication of lies or stealing the ideas of others, the number of new discoveries will go down every year till it becomes zero. won't that be boring?

Athletes perform better each year as better training methods, diets, physical conditioning and others come up, coupled with natural talent. As we learn more about the human body and people develop more custom made techniques to bring out the best in a given individual, improvements will continue. We as humans always push the boundaries of achievement. Some do so legally, but others cheat.

Drugs are allowed, but not those that are performance enhancing by modifying the natural operation of your system, giving you an unfair advantage over others.

@ nwando

her husband is actually Obadele Thompson, he's from Barbados or somewhere starting with a B in the Caribbean, I don't think he's Nigerian, probably his folks gave their son an 'African' name or maybe the name was passed down from the slaves originally there.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by A40(m): 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2007
They are right? she was a fraud
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Nobody: 4:23am On Oct 13, 2007
Thanks debo.
I just feel for the girl.
She was a beloved athlete,looked like she could be my sister sef.
I loved her.
What a shame!
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by eldee(m): 10:40am On Oct 13, 2007
this might sound evil, but i think she got it good, the fact is that she got it good. when the next generation kids see the videos, they'll forget bout the drugs
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2007
i read up an article in Time Magazine a few years back that stated that proving use of performance Enhancing drugs/ doping/ steroids is essentially an arms race between the authorites and athletes. ie the athletes are always one step ahead.

until you know about a drug, u can't go about detecting it.

i'm sure 90% of athletes use or have used one form of illegal drug or another. the system places too much pressure on them to succeed at all costs.

makes yoou wonder how naija would perform in a levelled playing field. so what happens to those medals now?

they should probably legalize doping and share the medals between the athletes and the dope labs.
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Seun(m): 2:06pm On Oct 14, 2007
Athletes perform better each year as better training methods, diets,
There you go. The word "diets" says it all. There's almost no difference between a diet
and a drug? For example, is marijuana not a "diet"? Afterall it comes from a vegetable!
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by Nobody: 2:18am On Oct 15, 2007
Then why are we watching and clapping for these people running down the tracks when they are drinking up steroid shakes like carnation milk? and eating steroid candies like they're eating kwulikwuli.

This is terrible!
Re: Marion Jones Pleads Guilty In Drug Case, Retires by kiyosaki1(m): 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2007
I belief there nis something wrong some where with Ashafa Powel the current 100 metres chaMPION.pLEASE I DONT WANT TO BE INFORMED IN THE NEXT 3YRS THAT THE GUY IS USING DRUGS.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Miss Bumbum Shows Off Bum,as She Congratulates Lionel Messi On His Ballon D'or / Throwback Picture Of Alexander Iwobi And Chuba Akpom / Are You Interested In Playing Soccer? Or Are You A Manager?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.