Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Is Kia Rio A Good Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Kia Rio A Good Car? (5022 Views)

Is Kia Rio A Good Car? / How Reliable Is Kia Rio? / How Reliable Is Kia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by donregal: 6:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
Is kia rio a good car in term of fuel consumption, availability of parts n cost of parts?
Is it possible to a toks?
How much?
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by ambyzown(m): 7:16am On Jan 09, 2012
The Rio is a good car in terms of value for your money. Its fuel consumption is also very good, considering the engine size is between 1.4-1.6L. However, it is not as durable as other Japanese imports in its class. The spares are also very expensive and there aren't enough competent mechanics out there, which means you may be forced to take it to Dana for repairs at high costs. For these reasons, its resale value is very poor. Depending on what you intend to use it for, the Rio could either be a bargain or a burden.

1 Like

Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by donregal: 8:46am On Jan 09, 2012
Thanks 4 ur response. U really enlightened me. Want 2 use it as a personal car but dont want 2 buy a burden. Thanks, once again.
Is Rover a good car in terms of d conditions I earlier listed?
Pls reply
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 09, 2012
don regal:

Thanks 4 your response. U really enlightened me. Want 2 use it as a personal car but dont want 2 buy a burden. Thanks, once again.
Is Rover a good car in terms of d conditions I earlier listed?
Pls reply

Depends on the Rover you're referring to. If it's the older Rover 600, then they're good, pretty much a rebadged Honda Accord of similar year. Anything else, I wouldn't touch.

Rover K-Series engines are the least durable built by the marque. Prone to head gasket failure, in most cases a replacement cylinder head is required. Worse case scenario, a replacement engine. It's not a maintenance issue either, more a design flaw, with some failures documented with as low as 35,000 miles on the odometer. Some had engines replaced under warranty, but that's not an option now the cars are way out of warranty, and with Rover long gone bust. They are best avoided.
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by donregal: 11:04am On Jan 09, 2012
Thank u Nairalanders. U are d best
which good car can some with 500k - 900k buy as toks? At least a car with cheap cost of maintenance, good fuel efficiency and low record of break downs?
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by ambyzown(m): 11:05am On Jan 09, 2012
Siena has summed it all up. The only Rovers to consider at all are the 600 series (618i, 620i) which are basically honda Accords. Also some of the 300 series are basically Civics. The Achilles heel of the recent Rovers is the cylinder head.
You may want to consider The Volkswagen Golf, The Nissan Sentra or the Audi 80. You can get these cars for less than N700k The Toyota corolla is a very good car, but priced a bit higher than others in its class.
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by KunleA2(m): 3:40am On Jan 10, 2012
i will advise you to get a camry 92-99. Buy the best one your money can afford. You can always sell it later for good money
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by ambyzown(m): 10:38am On Jan 10, 2012
@Kunle-A: I agree that the 92-99 series Toyata Camry is a good car, but these cars come with engine sizes of between 2.0-3.0L. Add this to the size of the vehicle and you don't get a very fuel efficient vehicle compared with the Volkswagen Golf. Also, due to the number of people who own these cars in Nigeria, spare part prices have risen astronomically. The OP has requested for a car that is cheap to run and maintain. I don't think the Camry will meet his requirements.
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by hairyman(m): 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
can someone also tell me something about volkwagen bug, fuel consumption, any known faults. Etc
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 13, 2012
hairyman:

can someone also tell me something about volkwagen bug, fuel consumption, any known faults. Etc

What year, and what engine size?
Re: Is Kia Rio A Good Car? by baaliyah(m): 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2012
@ Poster,
Camry 92-99 parts are not expensive at all. I owned VW Golf ll and lll, they are very strong. I was never afraid of any fult. If road is blocked i could jump the gutter, it's that strong. Camry is sleekier and spacious but i missed my Golfs. Fuel consumption difference in my v6 camry '99 and my golf lll 1.8 '96 from Abuja to Ado Ekiti is 11 litres. Distance of about 500km. Golf will make it in 5hours plus Camry makes it in 4hrs 20 mins.
There is little difference in the prices of the spare parts.
If i am convinced of reliability of VW Golf lll VR6 i will definitly buy one. Those i have seen had gear problems.
Buy any of the two, but you can always cheat ur Golf.
I nicknamed the Golf- ROCK.
The camry- ROCKET.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Previa For Transport Biz? / Road Trip Experience On Major Highways This Period / Pictures of Chinese Automobiles Copied From Other Brands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.