Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,395 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East (6213 Views)

BREAKING !! Massive Pro-Biafran Protests In London Pictures / Umana Okon, APC Governorship Candidate Protests In Uyo / MASSOB Protests In Anambra, Seeks Jega’s Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Nnenna1(f): 7:20am On Jan 10, 2012
This is just to clear the air about subsidy protests happening/not happening in the East.

Anambra (Awka):

The masses of Anambra state led by NLC/TUC and some civil society groups marched to the state house today, in protest against fuel subsidy removal and fuel price hike. 

http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9383:govt-attack-protesters-1-killed-in-lagos&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=67

Efforts still made despite Enugu ban:

Fuel subsidy protest partially observed in Enugu

*Chime bans public assemblies, procession, CLO kicks

Tony Edike

09 January 2012, Sweetcrude, ENUGU—THE anti-fuel subsidy removal strike in Enugu State was partially observed by civil servants and those in the private sector following the State Government’s ban on public assemblies, meetings and procession anywhere in the state until further notice.

Governor Sullivan Chime had in the exercise of powers conferred on him as the Chief Security Officer of the state made a proclamation on Sunday night banning public assemblies, meetings and procession saying they were capable of leading to the breakdown of law and order.

The proclamation: “PROHIBITION OF PUBLIC ASSEMBLIES, MEETINGS OR PUBLIC PROCESSION IN THE ENUGU STATE OF NIGERIA

“I, Sullivan Iheanacho Chime, Governor of Enugu State of Nigeria; BEING OF THE OPINION that the holding of any public assemblies, meetings or public procession in any part of Enugu State of Nigeria would lead to the breakdown of law and order;

AND THAT it is therefore expedient to prohibit the holding of any public assemblies, meetings or public procession; ACCORDINGLY, in the exercises of the powers conferred on me by law and all other powers enabling me in that behalf;

HEREBY ISSUE THE FOLLOWING PROCLAMATION: The holding of any public assemblies, meetings or public procession in Enugu State of Nigeria is hereby prohibited until further notice.”

The government backed up the proclamation with a press statement signed by the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Mr. Chuks Ugwoke, urging the residents and, indeed all her citizens to go about their lawful duties without fear of molestation.

“Government, hereby, assures that appropriate security measures have been put in place to ensure the security of lives and property of the people. However, Government warns that any person or group of persons who attempts to cause any breach of peace will be severely dealt with.

Government, therefore, wishes to advise parents and guardians to warn their wards against being used to foment trouble. In the same vein, Government also reassures residents from other parts of the country not to leave the state as their security is guaranteed,” the government said.

In compliance with the government’s directive, officials of the state chapter of NLC, stopped their planned protest and rather converged at their secretariat at New Market area of Enugu where they were still holding a marathon meeting by press time yesterday.

Apart from a handful of lawyers under the aegis of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA led by the sate chairman, Barrister Mrs. Nnenna Uko, who staged a peaceful procession condemning the removal of the fuel subsidy by the federal government, the entire state was very peaceful on the first day of the nationwide protest.

While some civil servants refused to show up in their offices, some banks were opened to customers while others admitted customers through the back doors. Most federal government owned offices including the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN were shut.

However, the Civil Liberties Organization, CLO, South East zone condemned the state government’s ban of public assemblies, meetings and procession saying the government had no right to make such a proclamation.

In a statement issued in Enugu yesterday, the Zonal Director of CLO, Barrister Olu Omotayo, said the state government’s action was wrong insisting that “Nigerians have the Constitutional right to protest by virtue of Section 40 of the Constitution of Nigeria, which provides for the Right to peaceful assembly and association.”

He also cited the decision of the Federal High Court, Abuja in the case of All Nigeria Peoples Party and 11 others vs. Inspector General of Police in Suit No: FHC/ABJ/CS/54/2004 in which case “Justice Chikelue held among other things that: the requirement of Police permit or other authority for the holding of rallies or procession is illegal and unconstitutional as it violates Section 40 of the Constitution of Nigeria.”

“Furthermore, the Public Order Act under which the police and governors always act is a federal enactment which cannot take away the right provided for by Section 40 of the Constitution, which is the supreme law of the country,” he added.

Omotayo, therefore, urged all protesters to disregard the threat by the state government and the police and come out en-mass to say no to the act of the oppressors against the good people of Nigeria.

http://sweetcrudereports.com/2012/01/09/fuel-subsidy-protest-partially-observed-in-enugu/

Imo State (Orlu)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/citizens-report-fuel-subsidy-protest-2-protests-peaceful-successful/

Citizens report (2): Protests peaceful, successful
on JANUARY 9, 2012 · in NEWS
| 5:35 pm

As the first day of mass protests against the removal of fuel subsidy by the federal government is coming to a close, reports from our citizen reporters showed that the protests were generally peaceful and successful.

As the result of the nationwide strike and mass protests, major cities and towns in the country were deserted while some recorded fewer vehicular and human traffic, as government and economic activities were grounded around the country.

However, there were few cases of violence and clashes with security agents.

Excerpts are reports across the country as reported by our citizen reporters who give eye witness accounts of the protests as it were in their areas.

youths and teenagers protesting in Kaduna
No chaos in Minna
By Peter Olajide, Minna.

The protest is taking a huge dimensions as touts are moving about with leaves hanged on their machines and motors instead of ‘placards’. However the security personnel are not found in strategic locations rather they assembled in the protest ground (David Mark road). Also, some manned the political office holders’ houses.

However, economic activities were grounded as all shops, banks, PHCN, fuel stations, among others were shut. Till this moment, no case of chaos has been reported other than the rough-riding and leave bugging within the city of Minna.

Protest peaceful in Abeokuta
By Arogundade Ahmed, Abeokuta

The subsidy protest went peacefully as there was large turnout of youths in the areas. Meanwhile, all the roads at Ijaye, Okejigbo, Nawairudeen, Ilogbo were blocked by the youths who prevented vehicles from passing.

Banks, shops closed in Orlu
By Chibuzo, Orlu

Like I every other major cities in the country, Orlu town in Imo State also witnessed a peaceful protest against the removal of the fuel subsidy. Commercial activities were also affected. Protesters were very peaceful. Banks and other business outfits were closed. The town also recorded less vehicular movement on major roads.

Hoodlums loot shops at Alaba Rago
By Akeem, Okokomaiko

Hoodlums have taken advantage of the protest to vandalize and loot people’s shops and property at Alaba rago. We need more policemen.

Low turnout mar protest in Ika, Delta State
By Peter, Agbor

The protest was not serious in the two local governments that make up Ika nation in Delta State as vehicular movement and all petrol stations were carrying out their normal business.

Teenagers, children join protest in Kaduna

It was an uncommon scene today to see children aged 10 and above matched in groups to Lugard Hall Round About at Ali Akilu in Kaduna town protesting against the fuel subsidy removal.

Ondo records large turnout

Bonfire
By Maxwell, Akure

The protest was serious in my place Odigbo LGA in Ondo State. Protesters came out en mass  to display their grievances over the fuel subsidy removal. The protesters blocked Benin – Lagos road to stop travelers from continuing on their journey. For now, no ugly incident has been recorded.

Police disperse protesters with teargas in Bida
By Haruna, Niger

Protesters in Bida, Niger State were tear-gassed by the Policemen deployed to the Emir’s palace in a bid to disperse the protesters. However, the protesters reacted by throwing stones at the police. We need more security personnel here.

No protest in Onitsha
By Victor Okwusogu, Onitsha

Unlike other big cities in the country, no protest was recorded in Onitsha. Business activities went on as usual. However, institutions like banks did not open business.

Feel free to update this thread with pictures, ongoing newsfeed, etc.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Lasinoh: 7:31am On Jan 10, 2012
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. . .
Nor be real protest.
Some peeps wanno see real blooooood!!! grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Yeske2(m): 7:38am On Jan 10, 2012
Lasinoh:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. . .
Nor be real protest.
Some peeps wanno see real blooooood!!! grin
More peaceful protests but no blood abeg
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Lasinoh: 7:41am On Jan 10, 2012
Yeske!:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-842783.0.html

People like 'Just "OgwuEgo" Cash' say no bloody protest in the East and South. . . like the North and West. . .

Can we say that the people in the "East" are not bitter enough? wink

Mu che che che che che che
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by cashmentor(m): 7:50am On Jan 10, 2012
More or less like a Village sqare gathering! Show me real mad buh peacèful protest comprised of both young and old!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 10, 2012
cashmentor:

More or less like a Village sqare gathering! Show me real mad buh peacèful protest comprised of both young and old!

Dont mind these buffons even the lawyers in Enugu had to lead the protest when they discovered that the rap-ist governor had bribed the labour unions.I dont know when ''peaceful'l crept into the blood of one of the most militant ethnic in Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:48am On Jan 10, 2012
[size=18pt]Those are TUC / NLC members in the east not the Easterners in mass. [/size]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by slap1(m): 8:54am On Jan 10, 2012
No protests in Aba, but the NLC disturbed in Owerri yesterday.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by nku5: 8:56am On Jan 10, 2012
@ bluetooth - na by force to post. There were protests in the south east and that's the koko. If protests have to end up bloody to live up to your tag of igbos being "the most militant ethnic group" or whatever the Zap that means , you go wait tire. Nobody is bound to live or die by the whim of your keyboard strokes my guy
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:11am On Jan 10, 2012
Lovely group photo. cheesy cheesy
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by chino11(m): 9:15am On Jan 10, 2012
Am in Awka now economic and govt activities have not been hampered in any way. I was in the Federal and State secretariats yesterday the workers were there but activities are going on, but not in full swing. Am on my way back to the secretariat now, I will update you on the latest situation report.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by whitehawk(m): 9:20am On Jan 10, 2012
The South East and South South are correct not to interfere. They bear the brunt of the oil leaks, the militancy and the kidnapping industry that it spawned. Anyway petrol had always sold for more than N65 a litre.

The NLC, the NBA and the House of Representatives are NOT ANGELS at all.

When Sanusi Lamido revealed that 25% of the National Budget was spent on the National Assembly no one supported him. Not the clergy, the NBA or the NLC. Shortly thereafter the former Speaker of the House of Reps was arrested for borrowing from the banks and spending 40 BILLION NAIRA in additon to what was budgeted for. Sanusi fought a lone fight. He was disparaged by the House of Reps. The NBA, the NLC, Pastor Bakare and Mallam Rufai did not come to fight corruption.

The fuel subsidy has to be removed because it is the sure way to stop the Corruption in that business. The fight against Corruption must BE INSITUTIONAL AND PROCESS BASED. The EFCC and the Judiaciary have not been effective becasue that approach is based on the PERSONALITY of the EFCC Chairman of a particular judge.

Please read Sanusi Lamido's details of how the Fuel Subsidy FRAUD is perpetrated by excutives of the petrol industry, Nigerian Customs, oil industry regulators etc. This will give an idea of the vast scope and depth of the FRAUD.

Also please remember that NLC is not necessarily fighting for the masses. It has never called a stricke over food or agriculture (becauuse the unons from that sector is not a major contibutor to NLC's finances) nor over Corruption. Never. The NLC strikes only for Oil sectore, PHCN and the Old Nitel.
President Obasanjo sold the refineries to the private sector. The same NLC resisted and got President YarAdua to make a political decision to reverse the sale. Recently GEJ approved that the salaries of PHCN workers should be tripled to secure their support for the power sector reforms but requested that each PHCN staff should be verified by biometric. The NLC and PHCN union accepted the pay increase but went on strike over the biometric testing. But the government knows that without biomentric testing the slary increase will become another bottomless opportunity to STEAL money. For you dear reader, PHCN/NLC have refused to continue with the Pay-As-Use electronic meter because it closes a major opportunity for PHCN to steal your money through their spurious bills.

The FIGHT AGAINST CORRUPTION IS NOT EASY AND IS NOT PAIN LESS.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by karpentar: 9:36am On Jan 10, 2012

My friend, what's your point? You see pictures of people carrying placards and protesting and you are still doubtful? Those pictures are they different from the ones from elsewhere? Must anything concerning Ibos always be an issue that gives other Nigerians a lot of headache? In case you are not aware, please note that the Ibos are more concerned with their kinsmen being murdered by bloody Boko haram in the North. And more importantly, Ibos are not very keen about this failed state called Nigeria. You must believe with me that if somebody is tired of a marriage and wants to opt out, I wonder why he or she must be forced to stay in the marriage? That's what the rest of the country are doing to the Ibos. Go ahead with your strikes and leave the Ibos alone.

Your insults are expected and means nothing.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 10, 2012
Almost all the oil subsidy thieves are from the North and South-west.

It's not surprising that people are being paid to protest by all means.

cashmentor:

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by otokx(m): 9:48am On Jan 10, 2012
please leave my south south out of your analogy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by vanstanzy(m): 9:56am On Jan 10, 2012
Lasinoh

Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East
« #3 on: Today at 07:41:07 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Yeske! on Today at 07:38:41 AM

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-842783.0.html

People like 'Just "OgwuEgo" Cash' say no bloody protest in the East and South. . . like the North and West. . .

Can we say that the people in the "East" are not bitter enough?

Mu che che che che che che

@Lasinoh
They bitter about it alright, just not STUPID as u would like them to be. I cant even believe u dont know the meaning of a peaceful protest. If u want blood go to the abatoir, NERD!!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by Lasinoh: 10:00am On Jan 10, 2012
vanstanzy:

@Lasinoh
They bitter about it alright, just not silly as u would like them to be. I cant even believe u dont know the meaning of a peaceful protest. If u want blood go to the abatoir, NERD!!!

Who is this one again?  undecided

I tire for the NL stark-illiterates I swear. Did you read my message carefully at all?
Or is 'agro' catching you too? cheesy

The South East and South South are correct not to interfere. They bear the brunt of the oil leaks, the militancy and the kidnapping industry that it spawned. Anyway petrol had always sold for more than N65 a litre.

Gbam!!!! cool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by saintohia: 10:32am On Jan 10, 2012

Λ Λ Λ

THEY'RE STILL EVALUATING THE SITUATION , B/C OF THE WAY COOKIE CRUMBLES.[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by dimbright: 11:08am On Jan 10, 2012
though not in support of fuel subsidy removal i would be dissapionted if SE/SS people go out to protest against it, we should be protesting against security challenges in the north which is affecting our people the most and government is doing nothing about it. We should protest against sending southern youth corpers to the north.
Like Lastpage said on another thread we should organise fundraisers to raise money to offer support to our brothers in d north who might want to relocate. If u are igbo be aware dat ur biggest problem is not subsidy removal, view it as an increase in fuel price rather ur biggest problem is the lives of ur brodas.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by rhymz(m): 11:14am On Jan 10, 2012
As far as this protest is concerned, it is a personal choice and must not be forced on anyone. I am Igbo and am very involved in the protest but I as well understand the sentiments of those who are reluctant to go out to protest. Everybody has their priorities and ways of dealing with issues. It is not like Ohaneze has told Ndigbo to shun the protest or support anybody's stance. Besides, most of the eastern states are controlled by the PDP and as such will not provide the atmosphere for protest whether peaceful or not.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by 989900: 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2012

When they go mad and burn houses, you've got something to say, when it's peaceful you've got something to say, can you pls make up your mind bro?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by 989900: 12:49pm On Jan 10, 2012
The South East and South South are correct not to interfere. They bear the brunt of the oil leaks, the militancy and the kidnapping industry that it spawned.

US gov't collected $20Billion (3trillion plus Naira) from BP in 2010 for spillage in the gulf of Mexico, what does our gov't do? Have they ever declared if they collected any settlement for spillage? If so how much? And how was it spent? Presently there is a recent spillage what are they doing about it?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by cashmentor(m): 1:00pm On Jan 10, 2012
989900:

When they go mad and burn houses, you've got something to say, when it's peaceful you've got something to say, can you pls make up your mind bro?
yes i've got something 2 say, and that's why i said mad, buh peaceful! After all, i know of some peacèful mad folks here in sheep clothing, my point is, if u wanna protest, protest like patriotic citizens and not just standing in one place singing hyms and christmax carols like pensioneers! Walk around and let's do this once and for all,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by chrisosi: 1:30pm On Jan 10, 2012
This is why the East can never move forward!!!!! imagine the hardship being experienced in the east, fuel has been more than 65 naira/liter i.e, 140 - 160. i am very sure of this because i went to the university in Imo state. now we are too weak or probably being bribed as usaual not to take part in this revolution. i am so ashamed of my ibo brothers and sisters especially the youth.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by asha80(m): 1:32pm On Jan 10, 2012
chrisosi:

This is why the East can never move forward!!!!! imagine the hardship being experienced in the east, fuel has been more than 65 naira/liter i.e, 140 - 160. i am very sure of this because i went to the university in Imo state. now we are too weak or probably being bribed as usaual not to take part in this revolution. i am so ashamed of my ibo brothers and sisters especially the youth.

if the bolded is true then why would you want them to protest?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by aljharem(m): 1:41pm On Jan 10, 2012
rhymz:

As far as this protest is concerned, it is a personal choice and must not be forced on anyone. I am Igbo and am very involved in the protest but I as well understand the sentiments of those who are reluctant to go out to protest. Everybody has their priorities and ways of dealing with issues. It is not like Ohaneze has told Ndigbo to shun the protest or support anybody's stance. Besides, most of the eastern states are controlled by the PDP and as such will not provide the atmosphere for protest whether peaceful or not.

[size=15pt]Dr. Dozie Ikedife Ohaneze And Other Igbo Leaders, Praise Goodluck Jonathan For Removing Fuel Subsidy[/size]

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=banners/igbosleavingnorth_616642311.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

A former Dr. Dozie Ikedife and other Igbo leaders yesterday drummed up support for President Goodluck Jonathan over the controversial removal of fuel subsidy.

Addressing journalists at Oba, Idemili South council area of Anambra State, Ikedife said the major problem was because the Federal Government failed to explain the action to the masses.

He maintained that despite the protests that had greeted the Federal Government’s action, proper efforts should have been made to address the devastating effects of the removal of subsidy from fuel.

“We are deprived of the information and that has made us lack comments as it regards the removal of fuel subsidy because most of the people in the country do not understand what removal of fuel subsidy means”.

According him, the country had come to the point of retrogression, adding that Nigeria had relied on smaller countries for refining of its petroleum products.

“What we are witnessing in the country today was what we had witnessed in the past when the British would come and tell us how much they want to buy our crude oil and we will say okay. They will also tell us how much we should sell our cocoa and we will say okay and when they went back to Liverpool, they refined it into bournvita and other things and came back to tell us how much we must buy them, and we said ok.”

Also speaking, Chief Rommy Ezeonwuka threw his weight behind the Federal Government, describing the action as victory against monopoly of fuel benefit by few individuals.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/latest-addition/132429-dr-dozie-ikedife-and-other-igbo-leaders-praise-goodluck-jonathan-for-removing-fuel-subsidy.html
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by chrisosi: 1:55pm On Jan 10, 2012
@asha 80, if they are not protesting, that means they are enjoying the hardship. transport from Owerri to lagos as at Friday is 13500 naira.
as for the people that are praising GEJ, Some of us are not surprise, "Baba" once made a comment that we should ask our "Umuna" what they do with the money allocated for the development of the Iboland. i know one day and which is now, nemesis will surely catch up with all the bad bad people that hv destroyed the iboland
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by asha80(m): 2:04pm On Jan 10, 2012
chrisosi:

@asha 80, if they are not protesting, that means they are enjoying the hardship. transport from Owerri to lagos as at Friday is 13500 naira.
as for the people that are praising GEJ, Some of us are not surprise, "Baba" once made a comment that we should ask our "Umuna" what they do with the money allocated for the development of the Iboland. i know one day and which is now, nemesis will surely catch up with all the bad bad people that hv destroyed the iboland

first i hope you know that nlc in some states have called off the protest(kaduna and edo) becuase of the mayhem going on there as some people have hijacked it.moreover you said that when fuel was N65 cost of fuel was around 140-160 naira.so what diff. does it make to the guys living there now it is legally that price?as for the transport from owerri to lagos it is the marketers greed that cause that.

now the bolded is where you should focus your attention to.if there is an election that covers your constituency make it a duty to galvanize your people to vote whom you think is the right man.waiting for god is a waste of time.as for the so called baba that made that statement ask him what he did with N16b contracts for power.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by jason123: 2:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
asha 80:

first i hope you know that nlc in some states have called off the protest(kaduna and edo) becuase of the mayhem going on there as some people have hijacked it.moreover you said that when fuel was N65 cost of fuel was around 140-160 naira.so what diff. does it make to the guys living there now it is legally that price?as for the transport from owerri to lagos it is the marketers greed that cause that.

now the bolded is where you should focus your attention to.if there is an election that covers your constituency make it a duty to galvanize your people to vote whom you think is the right man.waiting for god is a waste of time.as for the so called baba that made that statement ask him what he did with N16b contracts for power.

NLC is different from "occupy Nigeria". The latter started before the former and thus, does not affect the protest.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by gregg2: 2:09pm On Jan 10, 2012
No protest in South East and
South South except Benin and Warri.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by asha80(m): 2:12pm On Jan 10, 2012
jason123:

NLC is different from "occupy Nigeria". The latter started before the former and thus, does not affect the protest.

i know that.i just hope the protesters will discerning enough to know when the legitimate protest is being hijacked.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Protests In The South East by dayokanu(m): 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2012
Hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Cars Swim As Heavy Rainfall Flood VGC Streets / I Will Go After Boko Haram Sponsors, Says Presidential Candidate / Anti-corruption: Ugwuanyi Lauds Buhari, EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.