Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? (12088 Views)

Akande Reveals How Subsidy Thieves, Corrupt Businessmen Enthroned Saraki, Dogara / Oil Subsidy Rose From N300b To N2.3tn Under Jonathan In Six Months – Amaechi / How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 12, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-780554.0.html

2mch:

[size=14pt]Senate: FG overspends subsidy fund by N1tr[/size]

PDFPrintE-mail

Written by Abdul-Rahman Abubakar Thursday, 13 October 2011 05:01
inShare0
SocButtons plugin
[Senate President David Mark]

The Senate yesterday asked its committees to investigate how the Federal Government overspent the budgeted funds on fuel subsidy by up to N1.1 trillion since the beginning of the year.
About N240 billion was provided for the subsidies in the 2011 budget, but so far government agencies responsible for running the scheme have spent up to N1.3 trillion this year, the Senate heard through a motion moved by Senator Bukola Saraki yesterday.

The Federal Government has planned to stop the subsidies starting January, but this is facing criticism from labour unions, opposition politicians, lawmakers and many prominent people.

Ending the scheme would inevitably send petrol prices shooting up to about N150 per litre from N65 per litre.

In the motion co-sponsored by 13 other senators yesterday, Saraki said instead of spending N20 billion each month on fuel subsidy as budgeted, government spent up to N165 billion in one month alone in breach of the budget law.

Saraki said government has so far spent about N1.3 trillion on fuel subsidy this year, translating to 700 per cent above the budgeted sum.

He said reports by some prominent foreign economic journals and the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has revealed how volume of fuel imported into Nigeria is inflated fivefold and then smuggled out and sold at higher prices in neighbouring countries after collection of large sums of money as subsidies from the government.

“Fuel subsidy as it is being managed today has become a risk to the entire economy. The implementation of the 2011 Appropriation Act will surely be in trouble waters if a variation of N1.2 trillion arises as a result of the level of expenditure incurred on fuel subsidy so far.

“Although N20 billion was set aside for subsidy on a monthly basis in the Appropriation Act 2011, in August 2011 the total figure expended was N165 billion of which the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) was N88 billion and the Independent Marketers was N77.7 billion.

In the first three months of the year both NNPC and the Independent Marketers did not exceed N62 billion monthly but within the last three months figures have ranged between N150 billion and N186 billion,” Saraki said.

Speaking on the motion, Senate President David Mark said the scheme has been hijacked by a cartel operating like Mafia. “Whatever they do is completely exclusive to them. They are very few and 95 per cent of us don’t know what is happening. It is important to investigate the subsidy to know whether or not it has achieved the aim it is set out to achieve,” he said.

Saraki said illegal expenditure on fuel subsidy diminished the power of the National Assembly as the organ of government responsible for appropriation of all public funds.

Debate on the motion soon became a debate on whether to remove fuel subsidy or not.

In his contribution, Senator Ibrahim Gobir (PDP, Sokoto) opposed the proposal to remove fuel subsidy.

“The issue here is about misappropriation of funds in the management of the subsidy fund… I believe that if we look at the management of the fund, it may even be that we don’t need to remove the subsidy after all,” he said.

But Senator Heineken Lokpobiri (PDP, Bayelsa) said the time has come for fuel subsidy to be removed, as “subsidy has only benefitted a few people and it has to go. The people that it is meant to help have not benefitted from it. In my area fuel is sold far above the N65 approved rate.”

After the debate, the Senate asked it committees on Downstream Petroleum Resources, Appropriation and Finance to investigate the whole fuel subsidy scheme and report back.

Last week, President Goodluck Jonathan wrote to the National Assembly on government’s intention to stop subsidising cost of fuel in the country. State governors have already announced their support for the plan.

The outcome of the investigation launched by the Senate yesterday is expected to influence the position that it would take on fuel subsidy.

Fuel subsidies have been a long-standing policy for Nigerian governments to ease the cost pressures on the people.

Ending the subsidy has been met with widespread optimism by international investors, who believe it is inefficient, fuels corruption and holds back the country from reforming its downstream oil sector, Reuters news agency reported.

But many Nigerians view the subsidy as the only benefit they get from living in an oil-rich state and say they would like to see the government cut costs from wealthy politicians before asking more money from subsistence workers.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145315:senate-fg-overspends-subsidy-fund-by-n1tr&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 12, 2012
there is an american report i am trying to find. it has something to say about the actual volumes of fuel brought into nigeria (shipping manifests and all that) , but i can't remember where it is angry
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 12:13am On Jan 12, 2012
@Omo-Tier, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I categorically stated that I'm not interested in justifying any figures. I have only made an effort to delve into the factors (broadly speaking) that could be at play.

Is this too difficult to comprehend? Sigh.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by DonaldsN(m): 12:14am On Jan 12, 2012
Guys who are ready 2listen 2voice of reason hv already listed all d reasons d subsidy snowballed in d last 1yr.can u count d no of times dia was fuel scarcity during obj's time coupled with irregular prices?Who can count d no of times dia has bn fuel scarcity since GEJ took over even at a regular price?What do u think was d magic dat cleared all d queues in our filling stations in d last 1yr?Definitely dia was increase in importation 2satisfy d huge demand of d product.Again,when price of crude oil increases in d intl market,don't u think it would probably double or even triple d cost of d refined prod since dia is no regulatory body for d price of d refined products?won't dis cause increase in subsidy paid?(Note: 2yrs ago,oil was about $81/barrel but rose 2btw108-$128/barrel in last 1yr)In devalueing Naira 4rm 120 to150 in d last 1yr,don't u think it wl increase d amnt of naira used in buying same qtty of fuel?Won't Increase in population&importation of fuel-engine cars&generators increase consumption&demand of d product?as u all no, increase in dd=increase in ss.den increase in supply won't it cause increase in subsidy paid? Organised corruption by officials of our petroleum regulatory agencies also contributes 2d matter.these officials enable some oil marketers falsify documents claiming 2have imported fuel wen it hadn't so as 2collect subsidy.wen d subsidy is collected&d demand persists,d govt,unaware of d fraud,den demands 4more importation which increases d subsidy.U all know how porous our borders are cos of dis same organised corruption, these powerful marketers smuggle d subsidized fuel in2 oda countries dat pay more 4fuel.(note: even In US, smugglers stil infiltrate dia borders wit contraband) Dia are many more factors y subsidy must discontinue dat i can't be able 2post here now.But remember, u can't deregulate a sector and stil set prices for dem, only d market forces do.i once bought mtn sim 4 N27000,bt nw it sells 4 N250.dats hw it wl be in dis sector
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 12:18am On Jan 12, 2012
Exactly my points @Donalds.

No one is saying there was no corruption or whatever. People just want to get defensive as though we're trying to give an excuse. Fact is fact, assumption is assumption and suspicions are also suspicions.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by tissot84: 12:21am On Jan 12, 2012
PEOPLE SHOULD STOP USING POPULATION AS AN EXCUSE

THREE S.A COMPANIES ARE THE BEST IN AFRICA BECOS OF THE SAME POPULATION

mtn made 17billions naira profit after tax some years back which i think they made more than that
DSTV i dnt know aw much their profit is but the collect at least minimum of 1,000  naira from at least 100millions peeps in a months becos some individual own like 3 decoders and almost all banks and hotels do have at least a decoder
and now STANBIC IBTC is collecting the pension and all dis money is going to S.A

if the government had fought the the SO CALLED CABALS in NITEL atleast they would be making half of the money as profit

and we all know that the same CABALs are in the power sector if he can fight the one in the oil sector then we might have to pay triple to get light

POPULATION IS NOT A DISADVANTAGE BECOS IF IT IS; THEN MTN WONT HAVE STAY IN NIGERIA FOR 10YEARS AND SO ALSO DSTV, STANBIC, HUAWEI AND SO ON

and for ur information Great Britain do not have oil but they depend on TAX but here we do both TAX and OIL
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 12, 2012
Jp phillips has given an indepth analysis of the problem matter. The rise in subsidy payments started in 2009 when GEJ wanted to end fuel scarcity issues in the country. He gave licences to corrupt individuals who used the scheme as an avenue to milk the treasury. Fuel scarcity actually declined but at the cost of N 1 trillion naira.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 12, 2012
The Senate yesterday asked its committees to investigate how the Federal Government overspent the budgeted funds on fuel subsidy by up to N1.1 trillion since the beginning of the year.
About N240 billion was provided for the subsidies in the 2011 budget, but so far government agencies responsible for running the scheme have spent up to N1.3 trillion this year, the Senate heard through a motion moved by Senator Bukola Saraki yesterday.

He said reports by some prominent foreign economic journals and the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has revealed how volume of fuel imported into Nigeria is inflated fivefold and then smuggled out and sold at higher prices in neighbouring countries after collection of large sums of money as subsidies from the government.

“Fuel subsidy as it is being managed today has become a risk to the entire economy. The implementation of the 2011 Appropriation Act will surely be in trouble waters if a variation of N1.2 trillion arises as a result of the level of expenditure incurred on fuel subsidy so far.

hence the gej solution - rather than prosecute criminals within and without the fg, scrap the subsidy
[img]http://
“In the first three months of the year both NNPC and the Independent Marketers did not exceed N62 billion monthly (january - march)but within the last three months october to december (- primaries, run up to elections, junketing ) figures have ranged between N150 billion and N186 billion,” Saraki said.[/img]

highlighted dates say it all as far as i'm concerned
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by iesusluvz: 12:27am On Jan 12, 2012
@ jmaine:
Has Nigeria Population quadrupled?
Ans = No  (As a mater of fact our Annual Population Growth rate is about 3%)

Does everyone has four cars each?
Ans = No

Do people with more than one car drive them all at the same time?
Ans = No
So, it still boils down to population.

Has exchange rate to dollar quadrupled
Ans = No (In fact has only risen by just 6.7% since November 2010 http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/USD-NGN-26_11_2010-exchange-rate-history.html)

Did the price of crude oil increase
Ans = Do we buy crude oil?

Will all this increase the amount of subsidy being paid?
Ans = By what amount?

@ efisher:
An average Nigerian still lives on less than $2 a day. Believe it or not, with 2 SUVs, you are not an average Nigerian.
Does every Nigerian now uses 4 SUVs ? (Remember you only have 2)
Have those with SUVs one year ago quadrupled the number?
ANS = NO! NO!

Do SUVs consume x4 amount of fuel?
ANS = NO

@ Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Has "increased consumption (of petrol) for powering generators" quadrupled?
Do we now use 4 generators at the same time to power what we had hitherto powered by 1 generator a year ago?
Once again has our population quadrupled?
ANS = NO! NO! NO!

Change they say is the only constant thing, what I could have agreed as the cause (if any at all) of bigger subsidy bill would have been:
1. Population- by 3% and
2. Exchange rate -<7%.
So everything shouldn't have been more than 10% increment in light of the reason adduced for the phantom subsidy increase. Tell me you now pay N330 Billion & you would have made more sense. I just guess Mrs Iweala was smart by listing the REAL CAUSE AS last so as to give herself a soft landing on the burning issue. All the same, Nigerians are wiser.
Thank you all for your contribution, I'm getting enlightened!
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by 989900: 12:28am On Jan 12, 2012
Try to read this http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=30421&cat=Business

"The refineries are actually working at this time," Madueke said. "When we came into office the first time around, which is now about 13 to 14 months ago, our refineries were at about 30 percent capacity utilization."

"We have worked very hard to ensure that at this time, they are actually about 60 percent capacity utilization," the Petroleum minister said. She, however, added that the nation's ability to refine petroleum products was marred by the oil pipeline vandalism a recurring problem faced by the nation's oil-producing sectors. --Madueke 11-01-2012.

If our refineries are actually at about 60% production capacity why should we buy @ 141/litre?

How come 1.3trillion?

How come your subsidy arithmetic is based on 100% importation of refined products?

How much does it actually cost to refine a litre of PMS?
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by 989900: 12:31am On Jan 12, 2012
@iesusluvz: thanks for the analysis . . even some SUV's consume as low as some average sedan
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 12:32am On Jan 12, 2012
Smuggling and corrupt practices could have caused up to 80% of the total rise. Who knows?

There's where the strong argument for subsidy removal begins. And it's also the same reason why Nigerians maintain that the corruption in the system should be fought instead. According to Sanusi, "it is an economic decision" but I may add, with very strong political and social implications.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by paragonpro: 12:38am On Jan 12, 2012
Other questions;
How come Okonjo Iweala did not account for local production of oil, even if the refineries are working at 40% capacity.

Can the atlas cove handle the discharge of 30 or is it 40million litres of petrol (not to add kerosine and diesel) per day?

We need accurate data
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 12:42am On Jan 12, 2012
@Paragonpro, Sanusi also raised red flags on those issues. I wonder if NNPC and the rest of them can put out this information for all to see.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by dayokanu(m): 12:50am On Jan 12, 2012
efisher:

Smuggling and corrupt practices could have caused up to 80% of the total rise. Who knows?

There's where the strong argument for subsidy removal begins. And it's also the same reason why Nigerians maintain that the corruption in the system should be fought instead. According to Sanusi, "it is an economic decision" but I may add, with very strong political and social implications.

So basically from this statement we can say Smuggling and Corruption increased by 80% during Jonathan regime?
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by paragonpro: 12:51am On Jan 12, 2012
Efisher,

That is why we feel the rush to remove fuel subsidy is an attempt by Jonathan and his cabals to sweep this fraud under the carpet, so as to get away Scot free with their trillions. The scam has gotten too obvious for them to continue the way it was going and besides, it was beginning to hurt the economy.

I feel they are black mailing us into submission so as not to ask how the so called subsidy made a quantum leap without a corresponding leap in economic growth
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by psalmizt(m): 12:59am On Jan 12, 2012
For more info on the Nigerian Corruption Moguls:
http://wikileaks.org/cable/2004/04/04LAGOS767.html#
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 1:00am On Jan 12, 2012
@dayokanu, if I assume ur last question was a joke, I hope I won't be wrong? cheesy

@paragonpro, You could be right. To decipher the motive behind the action is a tough game to play. Only God and a few really know the true motives.

But looking at the policy as it is, I'm certain it holds a lot of benefits for Nigeria at a cost to us all today. A cost many of us don't think we can bear.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by DonaldsN(m): 1:07am On Jan 12, 2012
Many Nigerians believe a lie because they want it to be true or because they are afraid it might be true. God help us
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by paragonpro: 1:14am On Jan 12, 2012
Efisher, the policy holds no benefit at all under the present conditions.
Already cost of production in Nigeria is to high because of lack of basic infrastructure, multiple taxation, very high interest rate, lack of adequate manpower, inadequate and corrupt regulatory agencies, corrupt judiciary, etc. All these are the reason it is cheaper to import toothpicks or candle from China even when we have the raw materials.

These are what the government should have taken care of before deregulation.

even with deregulation it would be more efficient to import than spend $2billion building a refinery unless the price of crude is highly subsidized by legislation.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by onatisi(m): 1:25am On Jan 12, 2012
There is a mistake in this calculation.let me throw more petrol in the fire.according to femi fani kayode obj spent 300billion in 4 years not 1year .while jonathan has spent 1.3 TRILLION IN JUST 12MONTHS . Thanks
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by efisher(m): 1:28am On Jan 12, 2012
@ Paragonpro, you know for sure that there are several benefits especially on the macro-economic scale. That cannot be denied. I won't want to go into that all over again as many other threads have dealt with it.

For the case of whether local refining will be beneficial, we have 2 things going for us: FOB crude and a huge CIF market. In refining business, that is over 50% of what you need to succeed already. The other factors like presence of expertise, labor cost, taxes, system efficiency (technology driven)etc can be improved upon.

Remember that we are already running refineries locally today, and NNPC pump price is lower than the others. In addition, the pump price in the neighboring countries gives us a competitive advantage already. We can actually get to the point where we will refine all we need locally and as well export to our neighbors thereby becoming net exporters. Even if it is marginally cheaper to import, it will become a strategic investment to keep people employed, prevent capital flight and grow our economy.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by actionyout(m): 1:30am On Jan 12, 2012
have we all forgotten that GEJ had to bribe the state governors to allow him run for president, when he was removing billion billion every week for pdp governors u guyz where chanting, goodluck to u goodluck to me goodluck for everybody abi no be so
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by honeric01(m): 1:34am On Jan 12, 2012
The Seun Kuti man asked some good questions

a) At what rate are our local refineries really working? I heard some days ago from Jonathan Goodlucks own mouth that all 3 are running at ~90%. However,Nigeria is still importing about the same amount, even more, as it did back when the reports had the refining rate at 30%?

b) Also, Why is locally refined fuel selling at the same rate as imported fuel?
Like · · Share · Yesterday at 10:04am
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by jmaine: 2:04am On Jan 12, 2012
Let us correct the thread headline . .subsidies increased from about 650 billion ( Yar Adua) to about 1.3 trillion naira (GEJ)

Already, the minister of finance, Dr Mansur Muhtar, is said to have made his position known to President Yar’Adua on the need to take the vital decision.
According to official figures, N255.74 billion and N290.47 billion were spent on subsidies in 2006 and 2007 respectively.
The subsidy payment in 2006 was about 50 per cent of the size of federal government’s capital expenditure while in 2007, the amount was 40 per cent, according to official sources. In 2008, N654.76 billion was spent on subsidies, representing 133 per cent of the size of the federal government’s capital expenditure, while N602.51 billion was spent on subsidies this year

http://businessworldng.com/web/articles/717/1/YarAdua-Still-in-the-Dark-over-Deregulation/Page1.html

602.51 billion paid in 2009 . .

fuel subsidy in 2010 was about 650 billion naira . . .

The Federal Government is subsidising a litre of premium motor spirit (petrol) with N91, indicating a rise of N24.68 or 27.1 per cent over the N66.32 spent last February.

Over N650 billion, it was learnt, was spent by the Federal Government last year on fuel subsidy. This figure is expected to increase this year, following the rise in the price of crude oil in the international market where a barrel costs $112.

The Federal Government spent over N600billion on fuel subsidy in 2009 and over N1.2trillion between 2006 and 2008.

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/nns-news-archive/headlines/fuel-subsidy-rises-to-n91-per-litre
[/quote]

iesusluvz:

@ jmaine:

Yes Nigerian population has increased which means more men are becoming responsible to bear kids and start a life . .this would lead to more gasoline intake either via providing power to his home or purchasing an automobile for family comfort in transportation and tending to business or going to work and children school

[quote author=iesusluvz link=topic=844077.msg9946000#msg9946000 date=1326324426]
@ jmaine:

Does everyone has four cars each?
Ans = No

Do people with more than one car drive them all at the same time?
Ans = No
So, it still boils down to population.

My response above is appropriate . .

iesusluvz:

@ jmaine:

Has exchange rate to dollar quadrupled
Ans = No (In fact has only risen by just 6.7% since November 2010 http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/USD-NGN-26_11_2010-exchange-rate-history.html)

The dollar has not quadrupled and the subsidy in 2010 was not a four fold increase too . .my opening response to the thread title attest to that fact . .

iesusluvz:

@ jmaine:

Yes, we technically buy crude oil cos the bulk are exported for refining which attracts extra cost as nations who are not oil producing countries . . .what ever is the prevailing cost of refining  affects us too cos we are a major importer of refined crude oil .

iesusluvz:

@ jmaine:

Will all this increase the amount of subsidy being paid?
Ans = By what amount?

Yes, it will increase . .cos the differential cost between the variable which is the imported refined gasoline, subject to international prizing must be standardized to the subsidy cost of N65 . . . is borne by the FG

The Amount i can tell . .

BTW, no average Nigerians lives below 2 dollars a day . .it's obvious you don't reside in the country . .but if you do . .WTH, are you insinuating

Donalds N:

Guys who are ready 2listen 2voice of reason hv already listed all d reasons d subsidy snowballed in d last 1yr.can u count d no of times dia was fuel scarcity during obj's time coupled with irregular prices?Who can count d no of times dia has bn fuel scarcity since GEJ took over even at a regular price?What do u think was d magic dat cleared all d queues in our filling stations in d last 1yr?Definitely dia was increase in importation 2satisfy d huge demand of d product.

Again,when price of crude oil increases in d intl market,don't u think it would probably double or even triple d cost of d refined prod since dia is no regulatory body for d price of d refined products?won't dis cause increase in subsidy paid?(Note: 2yrs ago,oil was about $81/barrel but rose 2btw108-$128/barrel in last 1yr)

In devalueing Naira 4rm 120 to150 in d last 1yr,don't u think it wl increase d amnt of naira used in buying same qtty of fuel?Won't Increase in population&importation of fuel-engine cars&generators increase consumption&demand of d product?as u all no, increase in dd=increase in ss.den increase in supply won't it cause increase in subsidy paid?

Organised corruption by officials of our petroleum regulatory agencies also contributes 2d matter.these officials enable some oil marketers falsify documents claiming 2have imported fuel wen it hadn't so as 2collect subsidy.wen d subsidy is collected&d demand persists,d govt,unaware of d fraud,den demands 4more importation which increases d subsidy.U all know how porous our borders are cos of dis same organised corruption, these powerful marketers smuggle d subsidized fuel in2 oda countries dat pay more 4fuel.(note: even In US, smugglers stil infiltrate dia borders wit contraband) Dia are many more factors y subsidy must discontinue dat i can't be able 2post here now.But remember, u can't deregulate a sector and stil set prices for dem, only d market forces do.i once bought mtn sim 4 N27000,bt nw it sells 4 N250.dats hw it wl be in dis sector

Nice one bruv  cool . .
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by paragonpro: 2:08am On Jan 12, 2012
Efisher, of course it is obvious that to refine petroleum locally is infinitely more beneficial than importing. But is self sufficiency a main policy of government?

If the govenment had defined its economic philosophy, then it would be easier to put this subsidy removal into perspective.

For example if its main policy is self sufficiency and not import dependent policy we had been operating for a long time now, the govenment should have been putting the necessary structures and policy in place.

The deregulation of the oil sector is hurriedly and shabbily done with no enabling law backing it, no definable goal except to raise more money for the various governments.

As I explained, deregulating the oil sector in isolation would only lead to inflation, which would further push up the cost of doing business in Nigeria and making more businesses relocate outside the country. Even the US has the problem of companies relocating to south east Asia because of cheaper production cost.

Also, if we continue to import petroleum, toothpicks, matches, rice, cooking oil, sardines, clothes and in facts almost everything else, then the naira will always continue to fall, then we will come back here a couple of years later, we would be talking of subsidy again.

Also please tell me what will happen when Iran and us start the almost inevitable war coming up.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by phuckNL: 2:09am On Jan 12, 2012
honeric01:

The Seun Kuti man asked some good questions

a) At what rate are our local refineries really working? I heard some days ago from Jonathan Goodlucks own mouth that all 3 are running at ~90%. However,Nigeria is still importing about the same amount, even more, as it did back when the reports had the refining rate at 30%?

b) Also, Why is locally refined fuel selling at the same rate as imported fuel?
Like · · Share · Yesterday at 10:04am

my own response to your questions. P.S i do not support anyone so please no bashing.
a) Demand has risen drastically in recent times. Even at 100% capacity, our 3 refineries can not satisfy our demand.

b) Since locally refined fuel can not meet demand, they have to sell at a rate that will not hinder people from importing. If they sale way lower than international rates, marketers will not import. By the time we are able to build enough refineries to meet demand, marketers will not need to import, they will simply buy from our local refineries. This is why NNPC has to "fix" prices in order not to hinder importation and thus return us to long queues.

Please oo, i do not support anyone. This is just my understanding of the situation. No need for unnecessary abuses.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by dayokanu(m): 2:11am On Jan 12, 2012
Donalds N:

Guys who are ready 2listen 2voice of reason hv already listed all d reasons d subsidy snowballed in d last 1yr.can u count d no of times dia was fuel scarcity during obj's time coupled with irregular prices?Who can count d no of times dia has bn fuel scarcity since GEJ took over even at a regular price?What do u think was d magic dat cleared all d queues in our filling stations in d last 1yr?Definitely dia was increase in importation 2satisfy d huge demand of d product.

Actually fuel queues disappeared from the time of OBJ and this was what he claims was one of his major achievements. the dissapearance of fuel queues though we still have some scarcity in festive times

Again,when price of crude oil increases in d intl market,don't u think it would probably double or even triple d cost of d refined prod since dia is no regulatory body for d price of d refined products?won't dis cause increase in subsidy paid?(Note: 2yrs ago,oil was about $81/barrel but rose 2btw108-$128/barrel in last 1yr)
The prices of crude in 2008 were already over $100

On March 5, 2008, OPEC accused the United States of economic "mismanagement" that was pushing oil prices to record highs, rebuffing calls to boost output and laying blame at the George W. Bush administration.[26] Oil prices surged above $110 to a new inflation-adjusted record on March 12, 2008 before settling at $109.92.[27] On April 18, 2008 the price of oil broke $117 per barrel after a Nigerian militant group claimed an attack on an oil pipeline.[28] Oil prices rose to a new high of $119.90 a barrel on April 22, 2008,[29] before dipping and then rising $3 on April 25, 2008 to $119.10 on the New York Mercantile Exchange after a news report that a ship contracted by the U.S. Military Sealift Command fired at an Iranian boat.[30]

On June 6, prices rose $11 in 24 hours, the largest gain in history due to the possibility of an Israeli attack on Iran.[31] The combination of two major oil suppliers reducing supply generated fears of a repeat of the 1973 oil crisis. The mid-July decision of Saudi Arabia to increase oil output caused little significant influence on prices. According to the oil minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Gholam-Hossein Nozari, the world markets were saturated[32] and a Saudi promise of increased production would not lower prices.[33] Several Asian refineries were refusing Saudi petroleum in late June because they were over priced grade.[34]

On July 3, "the Brent North Sea crude contract for August delivery rose to $US145.01 a barrel" in Asian trade.[35] London Brent crude reached a record of $145.75 a barrel, and Brent crude for August delivery peaked to a record $145.11 a barrel on London's ICE Futures Europe exchange, and to $144.44 a barrel on the NYMExchange.[36][37] By midday in Europe, crude rose to $145.85 a barrel on the NYME while Brent crude futures rose to a trading record of $146.69 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.[38][39]

In devalueing Naira 4rm 120 to150 in d last 1yr,don't u think it wl increase d amnt of naira used in buying same qtty of fuel?Won't Increase in population&importation of fuel-engine cars&generators increase consumption&demand of d product?as u all no, increase in dd=increase in ss.den increase in supply won't it cause increase in subsidy paid?

The Naira wasnt at 120 anytime in the last 2 years all my figures are from central bank archives

As at December 31 2009 it was 147 to a $1, As at December 31 2010 it was 148 to a $1, as at December 31 2011 it was 156 to a $1

http://cenbank.org/rates/ExchangeArchives.asp

So at no point in the last 2 years was Dollar less that 145. Actually increase in value was less that 10naira over the last 2 years

Organised corruption by officials of our petroleum regulatory agencies also contributes 2d matter.these officials enable some oil marketers falsify documents claiming 2have imported fuel wen it hadn't so as 2collect subsidy.wen d subsidy is collected&d demand persists,d govt,unaware of d fraud,den demands 4more importation which increases d subsidy.U all know how porous our borders are cos of dis same organised corruption, these powerful marketers smuggle d subsidized fuel in2 oda countries dat pay more 4fuel.(note: even In US, smugglers stil infiltrate dia borders wit contraband)

How come the Smuggling suddenly emerged during the last 2 years? Are you saying there was no smuggling previously ?

Fact is that we have always had smuggling from time immemorial, So blaming smuggling for the increase at this time is a really poor excuse.

Corruption: maybe you should enlighten us more on how corruption quadripled or at worst tripled during GEJ's regime
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by dayokanu(m): 3:11am On Jan 12, 2012
deleted
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by newsnaija: 3:18am On Jan 12, 2012
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by honeric01(m): 3:55am On Jan 12, 2012
phuck_NL:

my own response to your questions. P.S i do not support anyone so please no bashing.
a) Demand has risen drastically in recent times. Even at 100% capacity, our 3 refineries can not satisfy our demand.

b) Since locally refined fuel can not meet demand, they have to sell at a rate that will not hinder people from importing. If they sale way lower than international rates, marketers will not import. By the time we are able to build enough refineries to meet demand, marketers will not need to import, they will simply buy from our local refineries. This is why NNPC has to "fix" prices in order not to hinder importation and thus return us to long queues.

Please oo, i do not support anyone. This is just my understanding of the situation. No need for unnecessary abuses.

a) demand by who? from where? did you buy 10 cars or what? i don't get it, where did the demand come from? a 500% increase in less than 10 months?

b) relate back to the answer in a.

so please your response is not it at all, better just jump over and let those who think they have answers to these questions answer it.
Re: How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? by kelvincoll(m): 4:14am On Jan 12, 2012
GEJ is not aware of this. Such document and reports dont reach His office desk, only documents seeking His endorsement such as Fuel Subsidy removal and Inflation of budgets. Whah in the world are his so called Special Advisers with arm robber salary doing sef?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obiano Visits Victims Of Petrol Explosion In Onitsha - Photos / Electoral Bill: National Assembly To Delete Direct Primaries / APC Convention: Pressure Mounts On Buni, Oyetola To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.