Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,827 members, 7,862,726 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:29 AM

Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies (507 Views)

Apc Campaigns With Cow In One Of Their Rallies / APC Governorship Rallies In Rivers State (Photos) / Kogi PDP Guber Candidate Has Mental Disorder Record - High Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies by tpia5: 11:36pm On Jan 12, 2012
As the protest against the removal of fuel subsidy entered its third day on Wednesday, soft drink and ice cream vendors made a lot of money in Lagos and Ilorin, the Kwara State capital. Protesters patronised such items in high numbers to quench their thirst.

Also, bottled water, snacks and newspapers were among the most sought-after items on the rally grounds.

Some of the traders told one of our correspondents at the Gani Fawehinmi Park in Ojota, Lagos, that sales during the protest had increased as much as 400 per cent, when compared to what they sold before the protest.

A soft drinks vendor, Opeyemi, said, “You don't get this kind of crowd every day. What do you expect? They need to take water and soft drinks. That's why we are very important to this protest. Without us, this protest may not last.

“Some days when sales are good, I realise as much as N3,500 but since Monday, I have been making between N10,000 and N15,000 everyday.”

Another vendor, who simply identified herself as Simi, sells sausage rolls and soft drinks. She said she made as much as N14,000 everyday since the protest started.

“I used to sell soft drinks by the road sides before the protest started, but I don't have to go anywhere now. The only thing I need to do is rove among the crowd. I cannot really tell you the exact amount I make everyday, but I get four times the sales I used to get in the past,” Simi said.

Twelve-year-old Johnson, a hawker of soft drinks and water, said he had to restock every one hour because he always sold out.

It was also noticed that beer business boomed. Many stands could be seen with different can beer brands and spirits. Some of the protesters clutched cans of beer while some smoke Indian hemp.

The protest had turned to a sort of carnival as the protesters devised more interesting ways to protest and have fun.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jan/12/826.html
Re: Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies by tpia5: 11:37pm On Jan 12, 2012
I think other parts of the country will now join the protests.

just saying, no offence.

i wouldnt mind being a vendor at one of them sef.
Re: Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies by tpia5: 11:39pm On Jan 12, 2012
However, some items such as bread, sachet water and snacks were shared among the protesters free of charge at the rally in Lagos.

A petty trader, Elizabeth, told one of our correspondents that the protest had increased her sales at the park.

Samuel said, “Though I abhor what is going on as regards the removal of subsidy on petrol, I can tell you that since the protest started, I have been making good money.

“The trade is moving very well. I brought in bottled water and soft drinks worth N5,000 and within one hour, I have exhausted the stock. Right now, I am going home to bring more. The business has really improved here.”

The same is true with Mrs. Ngozi, another petty trader at the venue.

“For three days now, I have been making good money. Though there are some associated risks at times, some miscreants capitalise on the situation to cause panic.

“Apart from that, the whole action has been peaceful. This strike is indeed the mother of all strikes in Nigeria. It will surely bring out the beast in our leaders. I pray that this strike continues.”

Re: Soft Drinks, Ice Cream Record High Sales At Rallies by tpia5: 11:40pm On Jan 12, 2012
In Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, on Wednesday, some ice cream and newspaper vendors seized the opportunity to make money as some of the protesters patronised them in droves at the Post Office Junction.

One of our correspondents observed that there were six ice cream vendors at the junction. Also, some underage pupils joined in the protest and displayed some placards denouncing the subsidy withdrawal.

Some of the placards read, “We say not fuel subsidy withdrawal.” “Jonathan must go!” “This democracy: Government of some people by some people and for some people.”

Some of the ice cream vendors told the Metro that it was their way of contributing to the struggle so that protesters could have something to quench their thirst.

They urged the Federal Government to revert the fuel price to N65 per litre, adding that the masses were undergoing excruciating hardship.

However, the vendors increased the prices of the ice cream by over 100 per cent. One of them said he had sold over N5,000 worth of ice cream on Wednesday as against N3,000 he sold on the average before the protest.

Another one said he had sold ice cream worth N3,000 as against N2,000 he sold on the average before the protest.

One of the ice cream vendors, Paul, said, “The protesters have been buying from me in large numbers. I have made over N5,000 today alone. That is good business for me.”

Another one, Belo, said, “I have made good sales today (Wednesday). I used to sell the ice cream at N30 before the strike but now I sell it for N80. The one I sold at N100 before now goes for N200.”

A newspaper vendor, Afolabi, said, “I am here because some of the protesters are buying papers. A lot of people are buying.”

(1) (Reply)

I Regret Campaigning For Gej - Daddy Showkey / , / Maintain Subsidy Removal Policy Or Face Our Wrath -niger Delta Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.