Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,846 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! (9496 Views)

Nine Nigerian Banks Make Top 1000 Global Banks List / 13 Nigerian Banks Make Top 1,000 World Banks / 9 Nigerian Banks Make Top 1000 World Banks Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by BlackPikiN(m): 1:22am On Jan 17, 2012
LAGOS — Eleven Nigeria banks have been ranked among the top 50 banks in the continent, according to The Banker magazine.

The banks that made it to the top 50 African banks are Zenith, FirstBank, Guaranty Trust, Access, UBA and Fidelity. Others are First City Monument, Diamond, Skye, Stanbic IBTC, and EcoBank Nigeria.

Banks in Nigeria beat other African countries in the number of banks it has in the Top 50 African banks as published by The Banker magazine in its January 2012 edition just released. The Banker which recently retained its world’s number one monthly publication position above Bloomberg Markets, Euro-money and Harvard Business Review by Global Capital Markets Survey through a study by Think Media, an independent company that researches readership of financial publications, listed 11 Nigerian banks in the Top 50 Banks in Africa.

The country was closely followed by Egypt with 10 banks but the inclusion of Africa Export-Import Bank, a continental bank, as Egyptian bank adds to the number of Egyptian banks from 10, according to a release from the Country Representative – Nigeria of The Banker, Mr. Kunle Ogedengbe.

Eleven Nigerian banks made it to the Top 50 Banks in Africa and the country was closely followed by Egypt with ten banks but the inclusion of Africa Export-Import Bank, a continental bank, as Egyptian bank adds to the number of Egypt from ten. Other top playing banks in Africa came from South Africa which maintains leadership of the continent’s banking industry, Morocco, Libya and Nigeria made up the first ten banks in Africa.

According to The Banker’s Africa Editor, Mr. Paul Wallace, banks from Nigeria, South Africa and North Africa still dominate the Top 20 with “only one lender, Togo-based Ecobank came from outside of those places” in the Top 20. Wallace noted that African banks have made tremendous improvements recently and writes: “African banks have grown rapidly in the past few years. Based on the 2010 results, nineteen of them have Tier 1 Capital of more than $1 billion, a level that roughly marks the cut-off point for the world’s biggest 500 banks”.

He adds that this is an impressive rise for Africa which, he noted had only 10 banks with $1 billion of Tier 1 capital or more at the end of 2007. “Moreover, 31 lenders on the continent now have capital strength of $500m or more, compared with just 13 in 2007.”

Going forward, Wallace observed that more Nigerian banks, which have finally shaken off their crisis of 2009, will rise to the top especially with the merger of Access Bank and Intercontinental Bank which may make the new Access Bank become one of the Top 10 African Banks by asset. The scene is also looking good for Ecobank Nigeria with its merger with Oceanic Bank, he added.

Other Nigerian banks that made good outings in different streams of The Banker’s ranking for distribution at the WEF Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland include Sterling Bank, Wema Bank and Unity Bank as the Nigerian banking industry has the highest return on asset and capital asset ratio of 2.07 per cent and 16.59 per cent respectively among the big top banking countries including North Africa countries and South Africa.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/11-nigerian-banks-make-top-50-african-banks/
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by samguru(m): 1:31am On Jan 17, 2012
Am afraid this ranking ȋ̝̊̅§ not as similar ranking was churned out prior banking crisis era
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by stepo707: 9:28am On Jan 17, 2012
How the hell did UBA make that list? undecided
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by jamace(m): 9:45am On Jan 17, 2012
Hmnn. Na wa o. Me, I have doubts on some of these banks o.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by ignis: 9:54am On Jan 17, 2012
Where is Oceanic bank?
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Mkpotu(m): 9:55am On Jan 17, 2012
wuru wuru
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by blank(f): 10:43am On Jan 17, 2012
Oceanic is no more. It has merged with Ecobank and made Ecobank now one of the 5 biggest banks in Nigeria.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 17, 2012
^^oceanic has merged? Since When?

What of zenith?
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 17, 2012
jennykadry:

^^oceanic has merged? Since When?

What of zenith?

Are you in Nigeria?
Anyways Oceanic has merged with Ecobank
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 17, 2012
Da whole thing's always a conspiracy. . .

These people pump the heads of leading bankers with a load of cudswallop and end up eroding their capital under all sorts of deceptive guises - fees, higher interest, funny financial arrangements etc

Its always easy to collect money from them when theyve given them all kinds of fake ridiculous awards and credit ratings
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by blank(f): 11:28am On Jan 17, 2012
@JK, Access bank has merged with Intercontinental, FCMB and Finbank are in the process of merging, Ecobank bought Oceanic bank over. More mergers and acquisitions are on the way. ETB and Sterling bank have signed the MOU and will soon merge. Skye bank bought Wema bank though Wema will still operate under its name, Union bank is in merger tals with another bank (can't remember the bank). Zenith still dey.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by yinka2011: 11:29am On Jan 17, 2012
well these banks should be worth a lot more because their values have been lost in the stock market crash. we should start buying their shares as they really are at rock bottom.

uba is going for less than N 3 remember it used to be N 55? so how much value has been lost?

same with diamond bank, zenith, even GT Bank ,these banks have made changes and need to be valued higher.

anyway thats my personal take because i follow the stock market closely before investing. you can also do the same and avoid losing money. let me suggest a good website to use to track the financial markets, i will not be leaving a link so just check it out.

E A S Y K O B O . C O M
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 17, 2012
Pointless thread

celebrating being in top 50 ?

Not even top 50 in the world, but only top 50 in Africa? lipsrsealed
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by olawalebabs(m): 11:41am On Jan 17, 2012
We need to celebrate it, That means SLS is really working.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by LEXYLOV: 12:05pm On Jan 17, 2012
I agree with some banks there making the list and also totally disagree with some in that list. But as for nowww lipsrsealed
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 17, 2012
olawalebab link=topic=847739.msg9983547#msg998Oh3547 date=1326796884:

We need to celebrate it, That means SLS is really working.

Oh yeah His N620billion overhanded "bail out" and wuru wuru "AMCONisation" of 8 banks which is largely unaccounted for is part of the reason why the govt is so broke and we have now to contend with subsidy removal. . .
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by olawalebabs(m): 12:48pm On Jan 17, 2012
DJTee:

Oh yeah His N620billion overhanded "bail out" and wuru wuru "AMCONisation" of 8 banks which is largely unaccounted for is part of the reason why the govt is so broke and we have now to contend with subsidy removal. . .
That is not what make the govt broke,rather the millions expended on execution of election, moreover that money is a "loan" that was later converted to equity
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by muyoto: 1:13pm On Jan 17, 2012
blank:

@JK, Access bank has merged with Intercontinental, FCMB and Finbank are in the process of merging, Ecobank bought Oceanic bank over. More mergers and acquisitions are on the way. ETB and Sterling bank have signed the MOU and will soon merge. Skye bank bought Wema bank though Wema will still operate under its name, Union bank is in merger tals with another bank (can't remember the bank). Zenith still dey.

interesting. I just hope these mergers will not automatically signify downsizing. . . lipsrsealed
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by ochukoccna: 1:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
@ muyoto,jobs WILL BE LOST
My bank's branch in my neighborhood closed January
What a way 2 start 2012 4 those staff!
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by kokoA(m): 1:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nigerian Banks are always geting one high rating or the other then before you say "F!U!k.c!" they crumble,
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
what is UBA doing in that list?
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by olawalebabs(m): 1:51pm On Jan 17, 2012
careytommy:

what is UBA doing in that list?
You mean Nigeria No 1 bank. grin Local bank with international coverage tongue
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by joshfash(m): 2:21pm On Jan 17, 2012
blank:

I dont know of others, but all I know and sure of is that wema is not in distress so they have not been bought by any bank. They only operate as a regional bank i.e in south west, south south and FCT- places they have 95% of their business.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by ombudsmen: 2:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
@OLAWALEBAB

UBA is no longer Nigeria's no.1 back.

you should re-check. i think its either access or GT Bank or Stanbic or Ecobank.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by kizito96(m): 2:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
ok
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by olawalebabs(m): 2:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
ombudsmen:

@OLAWALEBAB

UBA is no longer Nigeria's no.1 back.

you should re-check. i think its either access or GT Bank or Stanbic or Ecobank.

I know, read my post well.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by ombudsmen: 2:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
olawalebab:

I know, read my post well.

sorry bruv i didnt mean anything wrong, maybe i was too busy check out that new [size=50pt]easykobo [/size] site. smiley
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by olawalebabs(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2012
ombudsmen:

sorry bruv i didnt mean anything wrong, maybe i was too busy check out that new [size=50pt]easykobo [/size] site. smiley
you are welcome smiley
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by Machini(m): 4:54pm On Jan 17, 2012
Thanks Yinka for dat easykobo site.
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by blank(f): 4:57pm On Jan 17, 2012
joshfash:

I dont know of others, but all I know and sure of is that wema is not in distress so they have not been bought by any bank. They only operate as a regional bank i.e in south west, south south and FCT- places they have 95% of their business.

A bank does not have to be distressed for them to merge. That is just common sense. Instead, why don't u go and research and find out if it is true or not? wink
Re: 11 Nigerian Banks Make Top 50 African Banks! by joshfash(m): 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
blank:

A bank does not have to be distressed for them to merge. That is just common sense. Instead, why don't u go and research and find out if it is true or not? wink

It is not true, no one has bought wema and no one will buy it in years if they continue with this team spirit stuff.
Woman, dont be fooled by tins pple say out there make research before posting here. I am 1000000% sure of all news of wema bank, so dont write wot you dont know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Fall Of Oil Prices Will Not Affect Nigeria” – Jonathan Assures / Bank Of Industry Loan At 10% Interest Rate Per Annum And 6 Months Moratorium / Economist backs CBN ban on textiles; says FOREX on imports enough fund deficit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.