Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Nigerian Driver's License - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerian Driver's License (4319 Views)

New Plate Number And Driver's License / New Frsc Driver's License / Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 8:46am On Jan 18, 2012
Good Day,

I am moving to Nigeria soon and I would like to get a driver's license. The only ID cards I have are all from American, but I lost my Driver's License. I would like to know what will it take for a Non-Nigerian to get a driver's license

Thanks !!!
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2012
less than 50 dollars will do the magic even if u are not there shocked shocked
got my without being there with less than 50euros.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 3:57pm On Jan 18, 2012
euromilion:

less than 50 dollars will do the magic even if u are not there shocked shocked
got my without being there with less than 50euros.

hahahah woah , so when i get there i just show up ask and just follow along tisk tisk hmm okay , i wanna know how much will they charge me since i have a American accent lol

thanks though shocked wink
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 6:04pm On Jan 18, 2012
That depends.

Do you want to get it before you enter the country or want it as soon as you enter?

Yes, you can get it without being in the country & can get it when in the country. For us here in Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, you must have to be physically present to get a driver's Licence of FCT. The FRSC (Federal Road Safety Commission) will have to physically capture your data, if you know what i mean. But if you stay in Abuja and prefer to have driver's Licence of other states of the country, all need to provide is two passport of yours & some information that will appear on the Licence. I renewed mine here in Abuja 2 years ago. I went through the process i mentioned above.

If you ask me, I would advice you to wait till you enter the country to get it. If you want to do it in Abuja, you will undergo driving test before the Licence is issued to you. To me, i dont see any problem with that, as long as you know how to drive. Its what i would do, if I were you. But if you still prefer to get it before you enter the country, i can help you get it. Its your call .

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 18, 2012
Man 9ja is a different planet from other part of the world,
u must know pple to get things done in that part of the world,
if u'v nt anybody there either friend or relative,man u better stil.

it's unlike this part of the world,where evrybody knows where evry offices
are and evry thing has fixed price and procedures.

9ja is not like this, I could call it animal kingdom,if I could ,but I can,t . cool cool

I better hide myself b/4 they all rush to stone me to death here.I bet u they are all comin
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2012
euromilion:

Man 9ja is a different planet from other part of the world,
u must know pple to get things done in that part of the world,
if u'v nt anybody there either friend or relative,man u better stil.

it's unlike this part of the world,where evrybody knows where evry offices
are and evry thing has fixed price and procedures.

9ja is not like this, I could call it animal kingdom,if I could ,but I can,t . cool cool

I better hide myself b/4 they all rush to stone me to death here.I bet u they are all comin

What the Hell is that suppose to mean? This is the greatest crap i have ever heard. angry Things maynot be going well as it should be here in Nigeria, but that dosent mean we have all lost it down here. You cant stay there and be telling us how it is here. Your post is very upsetting.

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2012
Ikenna351:

That depends.

Do you want to get it before you enter the country or want it as soon as you enter?

Yes, you can get it without being in the country & can get it when in the country. For us here in Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, you must have to be physically present to get a driver's Licence of FCT. The FRSC (Federal Road Safety Commission) will have to physically capture your data, if you know what i mean. But if you stay in Abuja and prefer to have driver's Licence of other states of the country, all need to provide is two passport of yours & some information that will appear on the Licence. I renewed mine here in Abuja 2 years ago. I went through the processes i mentioned above.

If you ask me, I would advice you to wait till you enter the country to get it. If you are to do it in Abuja, you will undergo driving test before issuing the Licence to you. To me, i dont see any problem with that, as long as you know how to drive. Its what i would do, if I were you. But if you still prefer to get it before you enter the country, i can help you get it. Its your call .

Ikenna.

Ikenna,

I will rather just do it in najia but I am going to be residing in both Ekiti and Lagos , So I would like to know what I really should do, I dont want to come off looking stupid , crazy or ignorant

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 6:48pm On Jan 18, 2012
Since you prefer to get it issued to you when you are in the country, then you have nothing to worry about. It would be easier and faster for you to get it at Ekiti than Lagos. There would be a lot of delays if you apply through Lagos for the Driver's Licence. At Ekiti, I believe all you need to do is to provide your passports, fill a form (& maybe prove to them that you can drive) and you have your Licence within a week. But Lagos will take months. Are you still confuse?

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 7:18pm On Jan 18, 2012
Ikenna,

Nope I am not confused, Great I will do it in ekiti. My people here in NYC was telling me all different stories lol,

Thanks A Plenty
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 7:24pm On Jan 18, 2012
I can understand what you mean by "different stories". Anyway, I like your type that know what they want and work towards it.
Goodluck!

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 9:20pm On Jan 18, 2012
Ikenna
Ikenna351:

I can understand what you mean by "different stories". Anyway, I like your type that know what they want and work towards it.
Goodluck!

Ikenna.

Thanks A Lot I can't wait to get over there and start a new life !!
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 9:26pm On Jan 18, 2012
Dara, I promise you, even in the midst of hardship in Nigeria, you will enjoy your stay in Nigeria. We have a unique way of live that makes us, Nigerians, happy. You will find out when you arrive. Its not that bad like you hear from people.

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by DaraAlina(f): 9:52pm On Jan 18, 2012
Oh no Ikenna,

When I first came to visit in October , As soon I board off that plane, I felt comfortable , I love that heat, the traffic almost everything !! Just thinking about it put smiles on my face !!!
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Ikenna351(m): 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2012
I feel you Dara. Just as i feel everytime i travel to Enugu & Anambra from Abuja, where i grew up. The truth is, our way of live prevent depression from our lives. Yes, people outside would hiss at our lifestyle, but Nigeria is very unique. The manner people abuse themselves on Nigeria road, the way Nigerians analyse the state of the economy & politicians, the crazy manner people drive, etc, it makes us happy, directly & indirectly. Nigeria is a free world! Take it from me, LIFE IS SWEET in Nigeria, notwithstanding all we are going through in the hands of our leaders, most of them.

Ikenna.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Lexusgs430: 12:21am On Jan 19, 2012
Ikenna351:

I feel you Dara. Just as i feel everytime i travel to Enugu & Anambra from Abuja, where i grew up. The truth is, our way of live prevent depression from our lives. Yes, people outside would hiss at our lifestyle, but Nigeria is very unique. The manner people abuse themselves on Nigeria road, the way Nigerians analyse the state of the economy & politicians, the crazy manner people drive, etc, it makes us happy, directly & indirectly. Nigeria is a free world! Take it from me, LIFE IS SWEET in Nigeria, notwithstanding all we are going through in the hands of our leaders, most of them.

Ikenna.

Ikenna, If you wan toast Dara Alina make you talk sharp sharp o !!!! grin shocked
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Jodesky(m): 9:57am On Jan 19, 2012
The issuance of Drivers License in Nigeria has become a little complicated and as a matter of fact, you need to be physically present for scanning of your photograph at the Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Office of your choice. Beyond this, the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) must attest that you have passed a driving Test carried out by an approved Driving School. This is a mirage though but its a way for making money for the VIO.

For a fresh Applicant (who had no previous Drivers licence), the VIO will collect up to N3000.00 (N1,500 for holders of the old licence) from you to certify that you passed a driving test. You will also pay about 7,000.00 at the Federal Road Safety Office (FRSC) for the licence which brings your total exposure to N10,000.00.

If you give them N10,000 (about USD 63.00 ) at the FRSC, they will arrange the VIO bit for you and within 3 to 4 days, they will call you for scanning. Upon scanning your picture, you will be given a temporary license valid for 3 months. Its a piece of paper though. Your laminated license will be issued before the end of the 3 month period. I applied for mine (in Abuja) in October and got the original licence in December.

Pls be advised that this practice now applies nationwide (since September 2011), so it will be futile to embark on any unnecessary voyage to some obscure locations as the FRSC is present in every state in Nigeria and its the sole authority in charge of issuance of licenses, at the moment in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Somatic(m): 10:24am On Jan 19, 2012
@jodesky: its already being implemented? @daraAlina: just like @Ikenna wrote, yhure better off in Ekiti. With the new system, lagos is almost a no go. Best wishes. Enjoy Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Jodesky(m): 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2012
DaraAlina:

hahahah woah , so when i get there i just show up ask and just follow along tisk tisk hmm okay , i wanna know how much will they charge me since i have a American accent lol

thanks though shocked wink

I believe you have relations in Nigeria and you are coming down personally. Let your relation or acquaintance commence the process for you up to the point of scanning your picture. At that stage, you won't have much to say and your accent will not serve any negative purpose any longer by then.

Best of luck.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by esiri4jesu(m): 1:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
Ikenna351:

What the Hell is that suppose to mean? This is the greatest crap i have ever heard. angry Things maynot be going well as it should be here in Nigeria, but that dosent mean we have all lost it down here. You cant stay there and be telling us how it is here. Your post is very upsetting.

Ikenna.
Ikenna thanks for letting this assylum seeker rusting away over there know that NIGERIA is better than where he is right now.
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by Nobody: 1:06am On Feb 21, 2012
Jodesky:

The issuance of Drivers License in Nigeria has become a little complicated and as a matter of fact, you need to be physically present for scanning of your photograph at the Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Office of your choice. Beyond this, the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) must attest that you have passed a driving Test carried out by an approved Driving School. This is a mirage though but its a way for making money for the VIO.

For a fresh Applicant (who had no previous Drivers licence), the VIO will collect up to N3000.00 (N1,500 for holders of the old licence) from you to certify that you passed a driving test. You will also pay about 7,000.00 at the Federal Road Safety Office (FRSC) for the licence which brings your total exposure to N10,000.00.

If you give them N10,000 (about USD 63.00 ) at the FRSC, they will arrange the VIO bit for you and within 3 to 4 days, they will call you for scanning. Upon scanning your picture, you will be given a temporary license valid for 3 months. Its a piece of paper though. Your laminated license will be issued before the end of the 3 month period. I applied for mine (in Abuja) in October and got the original licence in December.

Pls be advised that this practice now applies nationwide (since September 2011), so it will be futile to embark on any unnecessary voyage to some obscure locations as the FRSC is present in every state in Nigeria and its the sole authority in charge of issuance of licenses, at the moment in Nigeria.

Jodesky thanks for this. Lost my license days back and now applying here https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org for a new one. My former license was very official, decoding stuff and all at Abuja so pleasantly surprised to find my details on the database when i clicked on renewal (the reissue link didn't work, though that's actually how i should be applying as my former license was still valid).

Will update the house on this journey. cheers
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by disc20: 11:00am On Aug 12, 2013
For current procedure on how to get drivers license in Nigeria, read the step-by-step guide here http://fertilenigeria..com/2013/08/how-to-get-new-drivers-license-in.html
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by seeit: 5:18am On Jan 24, 2017
When you lost or found any item any were in Nigeria visit www.seeit.ng to report it, seeit.ng is a web site for lost and found item in all category
Re: Nigerian Driver's License by dejavoonaija(m): 8:27am On Jan 24, 2017
If you need to renew your vehicle particulars (Vehicle license + Road worthiness + Insurance)

Patronize a corporate Organization (CarReg Not Kasali) for vehicle paper renewal

• Service available for All Lagos Registered vehicles and Nation wide delivery
• Payment on delivery
• Delivery within 24 hours
• Services at cost price(For now)
• Free delivery in Lagos (For Now)

Vehicle Paper Renewal
• Car - 9,500
• SUV - 10,500

Check it out on http://carreg.com.ng/
or call 09090144706

(1) (Reply)

Is Toyota Rav4 2008 Model A Good Car ? / When You Should Replace That Brake Rotor / Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.