Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) (1436 Views)

FRSC Hilux Without Brake Lights, Who Will Make The Arrest? (Picture) / Siena's MK5 Toyota Hilux Customisation Project - "Apple Candy". / Benz vs BMW vs Audi: Pure German Machines! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by yungboss(m): 9:27am On Jan 22, 2012
I was chased by a friend in his 2006 toyota hilux (though just for the fun) at nite on a very clear road in my e36 320i. Suprisingly d guy couldn't come close.from 0-130kmph i already gave him a car length. My question is do torque and horspower,weight matter to speed in REALITY?
Bmw 320i AT:
2.0l 148hp@5900
torque:140lb-bt@4200.

Hilux 2.7vvti MT:
power:159hp@5200
torque:180lb-ft@3800

from the stats his car is more powerful,
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by astricker: 10:13am On Jan 22, 2012
Couple of factors would affect a contest like the one you had.

1. Power to weight ratio
2. Aerodynamics
3. His driving ability (gear changes,etc)
4. BMW's are just better cars than what any Asian automaker can conceive let alone build.
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by yungboss(m): 12:03pm On Jan 22, 2012
astricker:

Couple of factors would affect a contest like the one you had.

1. Power to weight ratio
2. Aerodynamics
3. His driving ability (gear changes,etc)
4. BMW's are just better cars than what any Asian automaker can conceive let alone build.
ok maybe factor number 1 set in and aerodynamics too, cos he's a very very good driver. 2.0l vs 2.7l. Also maybe its cos its a 6cyl bmw vs 4cyl toyota. Albeit bigger torque and power of the toyota
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by KunleA2(m): 1:11pm On Jan 22, 2012
Lots of things come into play to really determine. Otherwise you might be comparing apples and Oranges. Factors are:

Mechanical Condition: Both vehicles has to be in its top operational condition to be able to determine.

Skill: Good driver doesn't necessarily translate to skilled race driver. There are lots of good drivers out there that wouldn't cut it for a second as a race driver.

Gear Ratio of the vehicles.

Wind drag as someone else has mentioned etc
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by yungboss(m): 4:01pm On Jan 22, 2012
Kunle-A:

Lots of things come into play to really determine. Otherwise you might be comparing apples and Oranges. Factors are:

Mechanical Condition: Both vehicles has to be in its top operational condition to be able to determine.

Skill: Good driver doesn't necessarily translate to skilled race driver. There are lots of good drivers out there that wouldn't cut it for a second as a race driver.

Gear Ratio of the vehicles.

Wind drag as someone else has mentioned etc

yea i agree with that. His is in a good shape, i think it's probably due 2d weight, and my car feels very balanced around curves,i think i also had that advantage. He told me this morning that my car was "a german car" and not a "pickup" that was why. I just laughed.
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2012
The 2,7 Toyota Hilux is AWD, so has more drag, and weight. Therefore, the results are not surprising.

And your friend is right - your car is a medium-sized sedan, so a drag race with a pick-up truck makes little sense. If you truly insist on drag-racing a pick-up truck, then I would advice you go up against a Dodge Ram, or Ford F150. The results will be very different. wink
Re: 148hp Vs 158hp(bmw Vs Hilux) by yungboss(m): 5:56pm On Jan 22, 2012
Siena:

The 2,7 Toyota Hilux is AWD, so has more drag, and weight. Therefore, the results are not surprising.

And your friend is right - your car is a medium-sized sedan, so a drag race with a pick-up truck makes little sense. If you truly insist on drag-racing a pick-up truck, then I would advice you go up against a Dodge Ram, or Ford F150. The results will be  very different.  wink
lol. But u never can tell, i think i could have an edge in the long run, maybe not in the 0-60 or 1/4 mile for sure cos u know the dodge or ford would have definitely over 200hp v8,  Maybe 200kmph max on the speedometer. In a long course i'm sure to win,on a track too, i may win. Note my e36 is 1995 vs 2006 hilux in this case. U know my point was 148hp vs 158hp, 140lb-ft vs 180lb-ft in favor of the hilux.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Plate Number / Toyota Corolla Engine Noise / Android 6.0, 7 Inch Universal Single DIN, Full Touch Screen -WiFi,Playstore,NAV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.