Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

How To **** - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To **** (3163 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To **** by sultaan(m): 5:31pm On Jan 22, 2012
So, I thought it will be a god idea to start a simply how to thread by those who do small service on their cars and give those that don't know anything the basic working of a car.

I have been doing my oil change on the jeep every 6-7 months using a synthetic fluid, with ~160k on the truck thing are bound the leak.

I have noticed this leak overtime but the fact that I got a oilpressure warning and oil level was very low meant its time to tackle the job.

I noticed oil leak from around valve cover and below so I'm starting from it.

I have opened up left side changed seal and grommet, will close it back up and post pics, currently in the middle will update as I go.
Re: How To **** by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 22, 2012
Interesting thread, Sultaan. A welcome change from the usual sales-oriented ones.
Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 11:38pm On Jan 27, 2012
I had problems finishing the work over weekend, constant rain caused delay.

Here was one of my oil change
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-258780.0.html

Sign of leak on posts 1&2 ignored it for a long time till oil pressure(sensor changed in thread above) warning came up, dipstick was dry!
Top off and waited till I could change it.
Got under and found this.

So I bought a synthetic gallon and used leftover of top off oil with oem filter

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 11:51pm On Jan 27, 2012
When I recommend oils for others,I try to go by recommended oil weight instead of brand name like, mobile super***, Abro etc.
The pic shows I'm used two different type of oils, but still same weight.I may have higher mileage@160k than some cars in naija, but its better to fix a leak on 13yr old engine than go to heavier grade like 20w50 most use in naija

The oil leak near oil filter is from the left valve cover (usual culprit) I suspect, so I started with the easier side.It will aslo give me the opportunity to inspect timing chains

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 12:08am On Jan 30, 2012
When I recommend oils for others,I try to go by recommended oil weight instead of brand name like, mobile super***, Abro etc.
The pic shows I'm used two different type of oils, but still same weight.I may have higher mileage@160k than some cars in naija, but its better to fix a leak on 13yr old engine than go to heavier grade like 20w50 most use in naija

The oil leak near oil filter is from the left valve cover (usual culprit) I suspect, so I started with the easier side.It will aslo give me the opportunity to inspect timing chains

I took off the air filter box, ignition coil and fuel injector harness, vacuum hoses and took off valve cover with a 10mm socket and wiggled things around

Re: How To **** by icemann(m): 2:59am On Jan 30, 2012
Nice one, wish you the best and do keep us updated.

Em bros when you say "Jeep" Do you mean the Chrysler Jeep (Cherokee, Wrangler, Liberty etc) or what some Nigerians call a "jeep"?

I used to do my oil change but since i learnt the fines that comes with oil spills, i calm down ( to me its not worth the hassle).

I go follow your thread well. Pls more pics
Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 2:45am On Jan 31, 2012
I have been banned 3 times since starting up, my posts disappeared, can't even remember where I was.

I took off the air filter box, ignition coil and fuel injector harness, vacuum hoses and took off valve cover with a 10mm socket and wiggled things around

Re: How To **** by Fhemmmy: 3:12am On Jan 31, 2012
Beautiful threaad . . . . . . . Following with passion
Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 11:08pm On Jan 31, 2012
I already had things apart when I started the thread, I'll need a 2 day weekend to do the other side.

I will try to change the coolant and shock absorbers at same time.

Also need to change engine mounts.
Trans service
Service differential, and fix axle leak

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 12:43am On Feb 20, 2012
Got to the right side yesterday, finished today while it rain, oil fill tube was leaking bad. Hope this fixes everything.

Started by removing battery, battery tray and battery temp sensor.

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 12:58am On Feb 20, 2012
Got a better look at leak and camshaft position sensor all covered in oil.Also took off oil fill, gasket leaked bad, then electrical connections to ignition coils and injectors.

Took off the studs, and bolt on valve cover, the rear ones and rear air breather tube were a big pain to get to.

Basically broke all the locking tabs on injector connector they were very brittle.

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 11:13pm On Mar 10, 2012
Oil fill tube dirty with sludge been there since got it. Fill tube gasket leaking bad knew it was a source of leak just didn't know how bad.

Cleaned out the tube, valve cover, replaced gaskets and grommets.

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 11:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
Starting on a front axle now let see how long to replace a bad CV already replaced a tie rod end.
Tools needed are
Jack and jack stand
Socket set and wrench
Torque wrench breaker bar and 36mm axle socket
To make thing easier I have impact tool

First will be the 2 caliper bolt on right of pic the the bracket mounting bolts on left upper and lower

Pushing the piston back to remove caliper was a pita for those changing Brakes this is it just change disks and reassemble

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 12:25am On Jul 27, 2014
Remove cotter pin wrenvh cover and sprind the used an impact wrench to remove axle nut.
Removed 3 wheel hub not with s 12 point 13 mm socket but specifically for this bolt.
Used mallet to yap out hub then pull axle out
Compare to new part count splines which should be 27 reinstall and reverse the order of bolt removal torqued down to spec.

I have done it before and it is easier now because I put a dab of anti sieze on all contact surface to prevent rusting of part together first time took a lot more effort my main delay here was time taken to compress brake piston an I could not find and my 1/2 in drive ratchet so had to use a 14 mm socket to spin out hub bolts

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 7:35am On Aug 03, 2014
Ongoing transmission service with factory filters

For those who don't know the second pic shows the ABS sensor and the time rings of the axle if ABS light is on check tone rings sensor and wire for damage or dirt

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 10:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
Started the transmission middle of the night tried really hard not to get cover in fluid since the engineers thought it will be a good idea not to pit a drain plug so you have to go to the dealership.
Left it to drain all night came back next day to take off the filter with a T25 tork wrench remove the return filter the removed the filter seal, that little black circle beside the spin on filter.

The oil pan was way cleaner than I had expected bought the jeep 5 years ago and 70k miles got to do the transmission service. I also have a stash of ATF-+4 manual says refill with 5 at for fluid and filter did that then checked the volume a drain which was around 6 qt level was low when tested so added one more to make up for loss when I changed radiator.

I will drive it for a few weeks the use a pump to suck and replace more fluid do the same for rear Dana 44 differential.

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 2:26am On Aug 06, 2014
These pictures show the remaining 2 qt I got out of the transmission, the refill and the magnet at the bottom of the pan.It had just a small quantity of clutch material on looks like it will make another 100k miles if only o can figure out where the oil leak is.

The most difficult part was trying not to spill trans fluid all over myself under the truck and cleaning the RTV gasket.

Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 2:32am On Aug 06, 2014
I this pics it shows the wheel hub I took off to inspect bearing in this truck you replace it as a unit no separate wheel bearing then the axle tube with CV axle removed and one with replacement axle before reinstall.

Re: How To **** by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 07, 2014
Nice thread I think it would be better if there would be a Mother DIY thread with links of currents DIYs.
Re: How To **** by erico2k2(m): 2:17am On Aug 08, 2014
sultaan: I this pics it shows the wheel hub I took off to inspect bearing in this truck you replace it as a unit no separate wheel bearing then the axle tube with CV axle removed and one with replacement axle before reinstall.
What jeep have you got? I own one in Nigeria and i do the DIY when I get there, mayB we could share experience, I got the Liberty
Re: How To **** by sultaan(m): 2:38am On Aug 10, 2014
erico2k2:
What jeep have you got? I own one in Nigeria and i do the DIY when I get there, mayB we could share experience, I got the Liberty

That is a 4.7l limted WJ I have knot been to a mechanic in about 7 years most of all I have done to cars is change oils and brakes the most work O have ever done on a car is changing the valve cover and a radiator replacement in the jeep because I erroneously removed the whole grill/ bumper
Re: How To **** by erico2k2(m): 5:18pm On Aug 11, 2014
sultaan:

That is a 4.7l limted WJ I have knot been to a mechanic in about 7 years most of all I have done to cars is change oils and brakes the most work O have ever done on a car is changing the valve cover and a radiator replacement in the jeep because I erroneously removed the whole grill/ bumper
Yeh I hear yah.Im in the mode of changing the rear axle assembly of mine.I think that would be done december when I get back to PHc.Im gonna do the breaks too

(1) (Reply)

Lamborghini Aventador £300,000 Car In Abuja / Requirements For Importing Armoured/bullet-proof Cars. / Would Engine Oil Shortage Cause This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.