Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Open Source Network Security Tool - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Open Source Network Security Tool (1212 Views)

Security Tool / Cybera: The Best (free & Open Source) Cybercafe Software I Have Found So Far. / Freedom Toaster: Open Source CD Burning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Source Network Security Tool by alexis(m): 10:22am On Oct 12, 2007
Hi Guys,

One of the company I consult for experienced a DNS DOS attack on their two main DNS servers, the attack slowed down the network. Interestingly, the attack originated from several of their WAN clients. I had to sniff traffic traffic on the servers and dump those traffic to a protocol analyzer before we could figure out where the attack was coming from.

Can anyone of you give me pointers about open source "Network Security Systems" that sit at the border of your network and monitor every and any kind of traffic i.e viruses, malware, spyware, broadcast storms etc and report on these threats in real time.

I have a couple of tools I use and they are pretty good but I wanted you guys input.

Thanks
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by alexis(m): 5:48pm On Oct 15, 2007
oops, seems no one is interested in open source network security.
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by h4rdc0d3d(m): 1:01am On Oct 25, 2007
Ok Alexis! who isnt scared for his or her network these days. I don't know but perhaps snort is what you want. You can actually "regexp" it to catch nmap scans. I'll get more stuff for you www.snort.org. U can also check this page http://netsecurity.about.com/od/intrusiondetectionid1/a/aafreeids.htm
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by h4rdc0d3d(m): 1:07am On Oct 25, 2007
You might also want to check out Dan Kaminsky's talk of Black Hat 2004 on Black-ops of DNS. Then U cld see how hackers compromise DNS servers.
IpTables with Linux/Unix also help to mitigate some kinds of attacks.
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by Cactus(m): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
look into SMOOTHWALL i think smoothwall.org too lazy to check
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by spikelee: 2:59pm On Jul 25, 2012
get a Barracuda Application Firewall Appliance...trust me open source has hole.. hence yor network loop holes are very open to possible hacking again and again and again...call me lets dicuss further 08061537053
Re: Open Source Network Security Tool by samfibby(m): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2012
wireshark, airodump, cain and abel bla bla bla

(1) (Reply)

Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll. Missin Or Corrupt File Error Message / Torrent Forum: All The Help, private torrent tracker invite e.t.c / Help Needed, Is Mtn 3.5g Coverage In Abule-egba, Lagos State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.