Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,259 members, 7,836,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. (2318 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Should Remain In Nigeria / Discretionary Leave To Remain Visa In UK. / Spouse Visa/indefinate Leave To Remain(uk) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by jennygirl(f): 9:56am On Jan 26, 2012
hi everyone,i'm trying to help a friend of mine who's in a mess right now.
this friend of mine is a nigerian who got married to a british citizen in the uk and was living with him there on a spousal visa.
unfortunately,her husband died and she decided to come back to nigeria to deal with her loss with her family and friends around her.she didn't realise that she could still apply for indefinite leave to remain in the uk as a bereaved spouse and has been in nigeria for 3yrs now.she now feels ready to go back to the uk and has enough money to last her for awhile.is there a chance that she could still apply for her indefinite leave to remain in the uk now?and how does she go about it from nigeria?
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 8:50pm On Jan 26, 2012
jennygirl:

hi everyone,i'm trying to help a friend of mine who's in a mess right now.
this friend of mine is a nigerian who got married to a british citizen in the uk and was living with him there on a spousal visa.
unfortunately,her husband died and she decided to come back to nigeria to deal with her loss with her family and friends around her.she didn't realise that she could still apply for indefinite leave to remain in the uk as a bereaved spouse and has been in nigeria for 3yrs now.she now feels ready to go back to the uk and has enough money to last her for awhile.is there a chance that she could still apply for her indefinite leave to remain in the uk now?and how does she go about it from nigeria?

Does she still have the marriage certificate, death certificate and other documents related to her late husband? How long was the spousal visa she was given before her husband died?
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by jennygirl(f): 10:18pm On Jan 26, 2012
Yes she's got the marriage and death certificate and had just over a month to go on her spousal visa before she lost her husband and decided to come back home.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 10:50pm On Jan 26, 2012
jennygirl:

Yes she's got the marriage and death certificate and had just over a month to go on her spousal visa before she lost her husband and decided to come back home.

She can apply as a bereaved partner with this form

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/settlement/forseto04091.pdf

But she should make every effort to read this guidance note

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/settlement/guidseto04091.pdf
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by jennygirl(f): 10:57pm On Jan 26, 2012
Thank u very much.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 11:14pm On Jan 26, 2012
jennygirl:

Thank u very much.

No worries. . . . advice your friend to make accommodation arrangement in the UK if she doesn't have one already to use as her UK address. A letter from any of her late husband's relative to support her application will help a lot.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by jennygirl(f): 11:40pm On Jan 26, 2012
One more thing pls,she had a housefire in the home she and her husband shared just a few months to his death and lost most documents she had.will there be a record of the fire somewhere she could access since it happened in the uk?
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 11:47pm On Jan 26, 2012
jennygirl:

One more thing pls,she had a housefire in the home she and her husband shared just a few months to his death and lost most documents she had.will there be a record of the fire somewhere she could access since it happened in the uk?

Well, it depends, did she call the police/fire service? Was the house insured? Was it reported in the press? Does she have pictures of the fire incident at that time?
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by jennygirl(f): 11:51pm On Jan 26, 2012
yes it was reported to the police and fire service and the house was insured.press was present too.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 12:08am On Jan 27, 2012
jennygirl:

yes it was reported to the police and fire service and the house was insured.press was present too.

Then she got nothing to worry about, she should request for the incident file from either her insurance company, the police or the fire service, as long as she is able to convince them that they own the house then she will be given the file, her insurance documents will do.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by ayemko: 11:41am On Mar 21, 2013
so sad
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by sosilly1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your friends situation. Just to give you a bit of heads up, to qualify for ILR there are some residential requirements that might be an issue:

- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period);

- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application

- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period.

Pls check the guidiance notes for further clarification.

Regards.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
so_silly: Hi,

Sorry to hear about your friends situation. Just to give you a bit of heads up, to qualify for ILR there are some residential requirements that might be an issue:

- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period);

- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application

- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period.

Pls check the guidiance notes for further clarification.

Regards.

Are you sure you read her case?
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by sosilly1(m): 1:11am On Mar 26, 2013
justwise:

Are you sure you read her case?

Yes I did. I simply pointed out where there might be a snag in her friends application. Needs to be aware of it & get an immigration lawyer to give further advice.
Re: Need Urgent Advice On Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk. by justwise(m): 8:44am On Mar 26, 2013
so_silly:

Yes I did. I simply pointed out where there might be a snag in her friends application. Needs to be aware of it & get an immigration lawyer to give further advice.
Your first post does not apply in this case.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Royal In Air Maroc? / Best Studio For Passport Photos For Canadian Pr / After Corona Where Do You Plan To Visit !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.