Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram (1160 Views)

Gov Ganduje Declares War On Kwankwaso / Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks / Resume Of New Ig Md Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2012
Barely 24 hours after his appointment, Acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar, has declared war on Boko Haram and armed robbers. He said they were in for a raw deal.

This was coming even as his predecessor, Hafiz Ringim, countered that he was not sacked by President Goodluck Jonathan for non-performance, but voluntarily requested for approval to go on retirement. Abubakar said yesterday after receiving hand-over notes from Ringim that he was not new to the security challenges facing the nation. He promised not to let down Nigerians and the international community.

The new police boss stressed that his administration will fight “crimes and criminality in all their ramifications”, just as he gave notice of his determination to stamp out all forms of indiscipline and corruption in the force.“We shall do what ought to be done, and you shall witness it to be going well and your aspirations met, and we truly intend to do so”, he declared.

He said the police force would undergo serious restructuring, and expressed joy at the constitution of the Parry Osayande-Police Restructuring Committee. According to him “we will work with the committee and we shall tackle corruption and all forms of vices in the force”. Abubakar warned that the era of god-fatherism and other sharp practices were gone, just as he promised to completely overhaul police training facilities which he noted, were below standard.

Commenting on the Boko Haram menace and other crimes, he said: “We are going to do what we are going to do. I have in mind to accord training a priority because we are lacking in this area and I will declare emergency on our training institutions.
“We shall fight crimes and criminality, by whatever name it is called, in all its ramifications, whether Boko Haram, armed robbery or other forms of crimes. We shall fight all of them. What I want to assure you is that our administration is going to be different in terms of fighting crimes. We shall go to the villages and fight crimes. We shall not tolerate any act of indiscipline and corruption.
“I am not a new comer on this job and so, I can’t shy away from the responsibilities expected of us because I know the problems and the challenges, but I want to say that our regime will be different.”

Abubakar dismissed claims that the Islamist sect or other criminals have more sophisticated arms and ammunition than the police, stressing that the source of such information has no statistical proof. He also solicited for media support, pledging his readiness to partner journalists towards attaining a crime-free society. Earlier, tough-talking ex-police chief, Ringim, said that he left office on his own volition, contrary to reports that he was sacked.

Ringim, who arrived the Force Headquarters, Abuja, at about 11.30am fully kitted in his uniform with the rank of IGP, maintained at the joint Press conference with his successor about three hours later, that he voluntarily sought President Jonathan’s approval for his retirement. Interestingly, it was the first time two officers would publicly wear the rank of IGP during a hand-over at the Force Headquarters. Hitting back at his critics who dismissed his tenure as a failure, Ringim said he did his best, and the Force under his leadership discharged its responsibilities creditably.

“We did very, very, well. I did my best; we gave the assignments our best shot. Anyone can contradict that, but I believe that the Nigerian Police under my leadership did very well and carried out its statutory duties creditably”, he noted. The ex-IGP, who formally handed over to his successor at about 3.20pm yesterday, insisted that he was neither sacked nor disgraced out of office, as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation [SGF], Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, had positively responded officially on his request to proceed on retirement as from March, 2012.

After a long wait by a few senior officers and reporters at the IGP Conference Hall for the hand-over, Ringim walked briskly into the venue along with his successor at about 2.30pm, and offered explanation for the delay.“You will recall that upon my request to the President to proceed on retirement as from March, it became incumbent to appoint a new Inspector-General of Police.

“I wrote a letter to Mr. President and received an acknowledgment and response from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim and this led to the appointment of the new IGP. The ex-police boss blamed the media for partly being responsible for his woes, and solicited co-operation with his successor. “I ask our friends in the media, who chose to make and unmake, to please, support him. I have done my beat within the time Mr. President appointed me and I know I did very, very well”, he said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/27/national-27-01-2011-023.html
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2012
We are watching cool. Time will tell cheesy.
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Fhemmmy: 9:03pm On Jan 27, 2012
Anyone could talk, only if they could walk the walk . . eyes are watching . . .
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Anyone could talk, only if they could walk the walk . .  eyes are watching . . .

Yes oo, everyone got mouth. Eyes are watching indeed. We are all watching cool.
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by auwal87(m): 9:19pm On Jan 27, 2012
Another [size=18pt]BIG MISTAKE![/size]
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by violent(m): 9:30pm On Jan 27, 2012
Isn't that what they all say? Was he not in a position to effect a change all along?
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Acidosis(m): 9:31pm On Jan 27, 2012
oga I.G abeg keep quiet! na today? ? ?
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Osama10(m): 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2012
Boko harama una don hear? cheesy
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by muyoto: 9:55pm On Jan 27, 2012
auwal87:

Another [size=18pt]BIG MISTAKE![/size]

really?
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by ak47mann(m): 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2012
He should wait 4 reply  cheesy now he is speaking their languages  cool

watch this video and see Jonathan telling boko haram that he will get them cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQQPN_MCz8

And in the video the news reader says that Nigeria might need outside help hmmmmm
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by Nobody: 2:30am On Jan 28, 2012
ak47mann:

He should wait 4 reply  cheesy now he is speaking their languages  cool

watch this video and see Jonathan telling boko haram that he will get them cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQQPN_MCz8

And in the video the news reader says that Nigeria might need outside help hmmmmm

Hmmmm na waoooo. I heard on news that some boots from US marines may be warming up, but the defense minister is yet to confirm it cheesy.
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by ak47mann(m): 2:51am On Jan 28, 2012
Olodostein:

Hmmmm na waoooo. I heard on news that some boots from US marines may be warming up, but the defense minister is yet to confirm it cheesy.
this boko harams dey call dem coolboys are getting ready 2 snipe them out from their caves cheesy cheesy
Re: New Ig Abubakar Declares War On Boko Haram by ebere1712: 6:37am On Jan 28, 2012
They still think they are talking to kids

(1) (Reply)

BSU Post UME 2012 – Benue State University (BSU) / Akwa Ibom Builds E-library Without A Website / Formal GOC Pulled Out Of 82 Division ENUGU (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.