Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches (21699 Views)

FirstCity Monument Bank Sacks 150 Staff Over 'Economic Downturn’ / Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by buchio7(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2012
d amt of snide remarks so far seen on posts caused me chills, u mean dere r ppl dat get dere orgasms on other ppls misfortunes??

Dat is sad and disgusting in as much as m&a's leave casualties ,i expected more serious n productive advise frm pips nt bared fangs dripping blood,

most of dese doom lovas dont hav a rats ass wat it takes to hav a job fending for luved ones n praying dat new opportunities com, so for u to spend ur time,type wit dos chop-stick fingers on nairaland singing halleluyah to d unhappiness of anoda man/person shows insensitivity n ur downright ignorance,

Go jump off a cliff or self-service in front of a moving train, assholes
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by starfox(m): 12:25pm On Jan 28, 2012
@ Stagger

Your response is unfortunate and just like a colleague told me before my name appeared on the sack list. Do not judge as you shall be judged likewise. Let me use this opportunity to disabuse your mind;

1. All Bankers I know wish they were entrepreneurs and never look down on them. Of course you might have encountered some arrogant ones as they abound however due to situations such as these (i.e. sack and all) they actually wish they had their own businesses.

2. As for requesting for loans, the banks have set rules that they follow therefore you need to know each bank's rule before applying for a loan. Some banks cater to just corporate clients eg Zenith and some to retail e.g. former intercontinental Bank and some stay in between.

Lastly, as for tasting the other side of the coin, you are been shortsighted. Do you know how many people depend on bankers? you might not be one but one way or another you might be affected. A lot of entrepreneurs (Cobblers, traders, hair stylist etc) depend on the 'extravagance' of the banking industry and in extension bankers to make money. Therefore, your cynicism s uncalled for.

Just pray that something like this doesn't happen to your close one. I wish I could write more but well,
stagger:

Good move.

Let us see how the bankers will now apply themselves to entrepreneurial skills. Many of them look down on those who come to the bank to ask for loans. Now let them taste the other side of the coin.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by chelseabmw(m): 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2012
very bad angry
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by nikky5(m): 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2012
The labour market continues to grow every year.I pray that white collar job seekers begin to have a rethink.There are many things you can do to help yourself even with little capital.The Nigeria of today doesn not guarantee job for her citizens.Everything is almost falling apart.By the grace and help of God I do about five different personal jobs to earn a living today in Lagos.Pls help yourselves job seekers out there.Remove pride and arrogance and start from somewhere.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Aluksboy(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28, 2012
na wa oo,  is there no way of handling this matter, rather than sacking them, thereby making the economy more difficult for people, too bad so sad,
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 28, 2012
dat is y network marketing is the best
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by stagger: 1:08pm On Jan 28, 2012
starfox:

@ Stagger

Your response is unfortunate and just like a colleague told me before my name appeared on the sack list. Do not judge as you shall be judged likewise. Let me use this opportunity to disabuse your mind;

1. All Bankers I know wish they were entrepreneurs and never look down on them. Of course you might have encountered some arrogant ones as they abound however due to situations such as these (i.e. sack and all) they actually wish they had their own businesses.

2. As for requesting for loans, the banks have set rules that they follow therefore you need to know each bank's rule before applying for a loan. Some banks cater to just corporate clients eg Zenith and some to retail e.g. former intercontinental Bank and some stay in between.

Lastly, [b]as for tasting the other side of the coin, you are been shortsighted. Do you know how many people depend on bankers? [/b]you might not be one but one way or another you might be affected. A lot of entrepreneurs (Cobblers, traders, hair stylist etc) depend on the 'extravagance' of the banking industry and in extension bankers to make money. Therefore, your cynicism s uncalled for.

Just pray that something like this doesn't happen to your close one. I wish I could write more but well,

I have no iota of sympathy for intercontinental bank or any of the workers there. You all were part of the rot that the banking industry degenerated to. You all were there watching your MD Akingbola and his cohorts looting customers' funds to build houses, buy land, buy private jets and live all manner of lascivious lifestyles.

If one of you had blown the whistle to the CBN Inspectorate in charge of banking supervision as far back as 2004 when this whole rubbish started, by now you all would have had your jobs and no one will be talking of acquiring a failing bank and the resultant layoffs that are a SURE spin-off of such exercise.

You bankers are the symbol of capitalism. It is survival of the fittest. You know how capitalism works, yet you complain when you are victims.

I do not even want to talk of some of the shabby customer service I was getting before I closed my account with that bank for good.

So from me, no sympathies whatsoever! You guys should hit the streets like some of us have been doing for years and grind out your living.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by stagger: 1:15pm On Jan 28, 2012
^^^
You will even have the benefit of severence pay, and you are still complaining. What about the workers in NITEL, NIPOST and other government parastatals? What of the unpaid pensioners in their 70s and 80s, who are asked to come and queue in the sun for verification? What of the Nigerian Railways Corporation Workers?

Are you bankers better than them? Are you? Your MDs caused people to lose millions in the stock market through their speculative activities. When you operate in an environment where monetary gain is put ahead of human sympathy, this is what you get.

You are a victim of your own system. Go out your skills to work and stop complaining.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by baslone: 1:19pm On Jan 28, 2012
Guy, take am easy with am nah!!! You sabi am before? grin
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by nxanadu: 1:50pm On Jan 28, 2012
God will help us 4rm d hand of sanusi lamido embarassed the guy has rubbish d banking industry which use to b lucrative & d highest employer of labour. by d time graduate wld start handling guns, boko na ram own wld b small
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by FXKing2012(m): 1:59pm On Jan 28, 2012
This is really pathetic. This is why I tell people to have a skill by the side just in case. I thank God I developed trading skills cos it gives me all the cash I need and dont have to suck up to any boss.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 28, 2012
FXKing2012:

This is really pathetic. This is why I tell people to have a skill by the side just in case. I thank God I developed trading skills cos it gives me all the cash I need and dont have to suck up to any boss.

Now u gone ranting in other threads too, so u have a boss too and come ranting to me that can pay u and boss while working for me, u are finished, go and upload ur screenshots as i did in the forex thread grin
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 28, 2012
Laying off people is not necessarily a bad thing. From the bank's perspective, they want to be profitable for their shareholders. From the employees perspective, some will get new jobs and some will go into other things.

And for those talking about having a business on the side. How many profitable businesses can you do in Nigeria that can sustain a family. If all these business opportunities were there, then no work will be working. We can't all be traveling to China to import stuff. Running a private business in Nigeria is very tough and it is not for everyone.

Again some of these people layed off today will soemday thank God that this happened!
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by damola1: 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2012
Akunna Matata, The bank hired you because you were an asset, be that asset,

Nashville:

Laying off people is not necessarily a bad thing. From the bank's perspective, they want to be profitable for their shareholders. From the employees perspective, some will get new jobs and some will go into other things.

And for those talking about having a business on the side. How many profitable businesses can you do in Nigeria that can sustain a family. If all these business opportunities were there, then no work will be working. We can't all be traveling to China to import stuff. Running a private business in Nigeria is very tough and it is not for everyone.

Again some of these people layed off today will soemday thank God that this happened!

The bank is a business, and with all the billions of dollars entering Nigeria every day, you can't tell me it's not trickling into the system, In the last 1 year, I have had 3 European neigbours come into this same country we always complain about, do you know what they do?, carpentry!

I wish everyone the very best. Change is the only constant thing in life. Also, let people know, there's no way the door of a bank will be opened by somebody and that same person will do the teller job. So, people will still do the jobs, but if there are people sitting down doing nothing, then they don't deserve to get paid!, It's better for the bank to survive than for it to be totally closed, 234NEXT is closed!
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by starfox(m): 3:26pm On Jan 28, 2012
You seem to miss the whole point of the discussion. Anyway, your holier than thou attitude is very Nigerian.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy. Do you know how many people lost their jobs for blowing the whistle and if the authorities were not complicit, do you think it would have generated to all these. If by your submission on Akingbola, the CBN decides to be equitable and fair for once, Do you know that Nigeria will have at most 6 banks?

Again, your cynicism which might be borne out of bitterness is misplaced. My advice to you is to reflect deeply before you remark on the 'misfortunes' of others. Anyway, if you are an entrepreneur more power to your elbow. smiley

Have a great year in business but remember it is wise to join your neighbour to put out the fire in his house so that the fire does not spread to your property.
stagger:

I have no iota of sympathy for intercontinental bank or any of the workers there. You all were part of the rot that the banking industry degenerated to. You all were there watching your MD Akingbola and his cohorts looting customers' funds to build houses, buy land, buy private jets and live all manner of lascivious lifestyles.

If one of you had blown the whistle to the CBN Inspectorate in charge of banking supervision as far back as 2004 when this whole rubbish started, by now you all would have had your jobs and no one will be talking of acquiring a failing bank and the resultant layoffs that are a SURE spin-off of such exercise.

You bankers are the symbol of capitalism. It is survival of the fittest. You know how capitalism works, yet you complain when you are victims.

I do not even want to talk of some of the shabby customer service I was getting before I closed my account with that bank for good.

So from me, no sympathies whatsoever! You guys should hit the streets like some of us have been doing for years and grind out your living.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by roqchiq(f): 4:08pm On Jan 28, 2012
by the way how true is it?,do we actually know anybody who was affected, if it is then i´ll advice you use your severance pay to either develop yourself further or start your own business, sorry but shit happens!!!!
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by FXKing2012(m): 4:15pm On Jan 28, 2012
odiaero:

[/b]

Now u gone ranting in other threads too, so u have a boss too and come ranting to me that can pay u and boss while working for me, u are finished, go and upload ur screenshots as i did in the forex thread grin

Do u see me write that I have a boss? I said my skill puts me in a position not to have a boss to suck up to. Pls dont tell me my English is confusing u.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Finecat(m): 4:50pm On Jan 28, 2012
@stagger
I understand your point but i still feel some sympathy for Nigerian bankers, they don't know any better. If you check my profile post back to 2007/2008, i have been warning bankers to develop other skills cause banking industry is prime to collapse. I was particular about Intercontinental bank because of their sharp practices and bad customer services. Intercontinental bank employees were the worst in the banking industry. They boast and obnoxious, predicted this was coming. I pray they find a way to support their loved ones.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Koolking(m): 4:56pm On Jan 28, 2012
@norrisman, dude your opinion was well thought out. I only feel for those people. I know what it is like to leave in Nigeria without means of livelihood. I wish reasonable severance benefits for them to fall back on. The economy is already suicidal to live in even with means of livelihood.

I wish something could be done.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by kizito96(m): 5:35pm On Jan 28, 2012
Too Bad
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by stagger: 6:07pm On Jan 28, 2012
Finecat:

@stagger
I understand your point but i still feel some sympathy for Nigerian bankers, they don't know any better. If you check my profile post back to 2007/2008, i have been warning bankers to develop other skills cause banking industry is prime to collapse. I was particular about Intercontinental bank because of their sharp practices and bad customer services. Intercontinental bank employees were the worst in the banking industry. They boast and obnoxious, predicted this was coming. I pray they find a way to support their loved ones.

Tell them my brother.

Sometimes you ask yourself:

what is it that makes a servant of the public be so obnoxious in their approach to customers? What is it really? That they work in bank?

Haba mana!
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Sike(m): 6:44pm On Jan 28, 2012
kizito96:

Too Bad
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by denzel2009: 7:54pm On Jan 28, 2012
One of the expected dis-benefits of mergers and acquisitions. Oftentimes, we focus on closed doors and let opportunities pass us by. People affected by such layoffs always thank their stars in future.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Remii(m): 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2012
saxywale:

but how is downsizing a callous move, should I run at a loss by keeping more staff than my business needs.

Hmmmmm, I think that's quite common with all Nigerian banks not just intercontinental. I was in Zenith the last time I was in Nigeria, was there to update the KYC stuff they recently introduced. The customer service was appalling.

nothing bad with downsizing. however, after merger or bought over you don't lay off staff from only one heritage companies. you put all staff of the new company together and right sized from the poll.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by merengue: 8:57pm On Jan 28, 2012
The way some people seem to be rejoicing over the misfortune of others on this thread is beyond bad, its crossed into stupidity. If everyone were self employed, who would buy the products or patronize the services? Britain is a nation of self -employed people, today its economy is in the toilet. Lets be realistic, every self employed person needs the patronage of people who walk in companies like bankers do. Yes, people should try and have another business by the side (that is common sense) but lets face it, businesses (both large and small) are failing everyday in this country. Newspapers are also laying off or shutting down (e.g 234next), same for manufacturing concerns and every country needs large businesses b'cos they boost the economy more, generate more exports and create more jobs (even for the so-called self employed) . Lets offer constructive advice and stop gloating over the fall of others, your own loss might be permanent.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by merengue: 9:26pm On Jan 28, 2012
@buchizo7: Don't mind them, most of them are frustrated graduates who have applied to all the banks but couldn't get in and are now into petty trade. What they fail to realize is that for every job loss, a potential client for their services is lost. In M & A, companies downsize or rightsize (that is normal) but what really annoys me is that the people who caused these problems in the first place (the banks' directors, majority shareholders and co) are still feeding fat. As long as we remain an import driven economy where almost 90% of businesses are into retailing, buying and selling and service delivery, things will get worse. Countries that are service based like Britain, Spain, Italy, Greece are really feeling the economic heat hence the introduction of austerity measures in these countries but countries that manufacture like China, Brazil, Germany, South Korea are surviving the crisis and will come out stronger.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 28, 2012
Remii:

nothing bad with downsizing. however, after merger or bought over you don't lay off staff from only one heritage companies. you put all staff of the new company together and right sized from the poll.

Well, redundancies is one of the disadvantages of take-overs. The workers of the bank going under bear the brunt of the lay offs. I don't expect Access Bank to lay off its trusted staff(Asset) for Intercontinental Staff they don't know much about. With the banks going cashless these days, I foresee lean banking being introduced in Nigeria meaning more lay - offs.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by dokunbam(m): 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2012
Our office is in need of experienced workers. We are starting a new office in Osun, Oyo, Ogun,Ondo, Ekiti and kwara state. the candidate must be ready to be trained here in lagos before being transferred to these different states. the candidate must poses Good knowledge of corporate governance. Good management and administrative skills. Excellent business presentation skills. Exceptional intellectual ability. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to work with little or no supervision. Ability to perform at high level with a visionary team. Good attention to details and work devotion. THE CANDIDATE MUST BE PROACTIVE

interested candidate should forward their CV and cover note to hrgetguide@gmail.com
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by wealth123: 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2012
To all affected staff of intercontinental Bank, please take heart. This same thing happened to me in 2004 but by the grace of God today i have 2 Standing businesses: school AND CEMENT business

The only help i can do for you right now is to invite you into CEMENT business. I will teach you all you need to know for free and also supply you CEMENT to any location in Lagos and environ because i am a Distributor of DANGOTE CEMENT. All you need is money for 300 bags to start. You dont need a shop you just look fore a nice location or a developoing area and start your business.

Forget about travelling abroad, the money is here in Nigeria. If you travel abroad you will suffer and may lose your family if you are married so BEWARE of temptation to travel out.

I will not advise you to start school business now because it is capital intensive but if your wife or husband is a teacher and you have the money you can consider it. For example we started a school because my wife is a teacher so she takes care of the school while i manage the CEMENT Business.

The money making potential in cement business is huge no wonder Dangote the richest man in Africa is doing it. Right now he controls about 90% of the market and without distributors and retailers he cannot sell. SO JOIN THE WISE INVESTORS

Also from April this year the federal Government has banned Cement importation. Dangote has just completed his plant at Ibese in Ogun state. Making 3 Large plants in Nigeria alone (i.e Ibese in Ogun State, Obajana in Kogi State , Gboko in Benue State).

Please call me: 08082083126 and we will talk no upfront payment or any scam am just willing to help.
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by joanana(f): 10:51pm On Jan 28, 2012
embarassed embarassed undecided My friend was affected n its really sad cos they should have given them the option to resign rather than terminate their appointment. Branch Managers were also affected. Its really sad n she told me that after the aqcuisitn , there salaries was reduce becos intercon staff earn more than access staff n i dont see the reason y they couldnt absolve them. Its really sad cry cry. When an employer terminate ur appointment, its affects ur resume, rit?
Re: Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches by buchio7(m): 10:53pm On Jan 28, 2012
one of these "staggered "ppl still gloats ova d sack of ppl @inter , well , all i can say to him is mind wat u wish/celebrate abt ppls misfortune,u may neva knw wat tomorrow will bring.

Enof said abt ur mindless ranting,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Problem With Nigeria`s Banking Sector? / He Keep To His Promise And Helped My Life / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.