Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,835 members, 7,817,453 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? (96846 Views)

Report Any Filling Station Selling Petrol Above N87 To DPR Here / See What Fuel Scarcity Has Caused At A Filling Station In Nigeria(Photo) / How Much Capital Will Be Needed To Start A Mini Supermarket? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by sexlog(m): 7:58pm On Jan 28, 2012
How Much Is Needed To Set Up A Filling-station?

Hello Nairalanders, pls how much of money is needed for one to establish a filling station?
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by sexlog(m): 12:05am On Jan 29, 2012
Where are the gurus? Your say are needed pls.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by ololo12: 9:30am On Jan 29, 2012
Depends on where your setting up the filling station.

Like where I am ( Calabar)

Prior to the fuel hike issue.

15 Million Naira capital will set up an average looking filling station.

But right now with the hike in fuel price.

25 Million Naira capital will do just fine

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by ignis: 9:30am On Jan 29, 2012
Google it,
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by eghost247(m): 9:35am On Jan 29, 2012
ololo12:

wow 25m freaking expensive

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by frenchman2: 9:42am On Jan 29, 2012
ignis:

Google it,

wetin you won google
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by sexlog(m): 9:44am On Jan 29, 2012
@ololo12, could you blow it up? Thanks.
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by damola1: 9:53am On Jan 29, 2012
ololo12:

How did you arrive at that figure?, Did you put into consideration whether it's a purchased, leased or yearly rent?, Did you ask questions like the number of fuel pump, did you ask the size of the filling station?, Did you ask what sort of filling station, any special features interest?, Did you ask what will be the capacity of the storage?,

And you simply just said: 25M, or 15M, forgive my ignorance but how did you come about this figure?, and what does this figure cover?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by bayulll01(m): 10:00am On Jan 29, 2012
i laugh in paris,did u say 25million maybe in your village,at op,it depend on the location you want,i will give you the necessary information you need.         Make sure you have up to 60million,and another 15 million in your acnt,then you are ready to owne a petrol station,the good tinx is you will realise your money back within 2years.

6 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by eunisam: 10:29am On Jan 29, 2012
1.Land for the feeling station how much?
2.How many tanker is needed,How much each?
3.A truck for conveying the fuel.
4.Building the structure how much?
5.Other things involved and joining the union,How much

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:38am On Jan 29, 2012
Hmm sexlog abeg donate some of the money to PERX please she needs it.thanks
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 29, 2012
[b]I will quote from the last I did in 2009.

1. Road Side Property along Winner, Otta Zone = I have no idea how much this cost my client. And this was 2 plots.
2.  Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria IPMAN Approval and Site Registration: #1,200,000
3. Approved Drawing for Filling Station: #850,000
4. Construction Cost: (This was a 6 Nozzle Station: 4: Petrol, 1: Kerosene, 1: Diesel): #30,000,000
5. My engineering firm charged: #3,100,000 for the entire project.

We are tlaking roughly #35,000,000.00 naira. NB: Minus the road side land. This always seems to sometimes outweigh the entire project.
I also dont know about the supply, marketing, aspect. So, please, kindly note this and do your research.

And kindly note: 6 nozzles is the highest you can go. And also note: as at 2010, IPMAN Lagos chapter changed the law that filling station must be built on 2plots of land or more. If you want 6 nozzles, you definitely need 2 plots or more. Also note that, the most expensive is 6 nozzles. We have 4, 3, 2, depending on how busy you want your station to be.

Extra: And when trying to get your approval, dont waste your time with a lawyer, find an IPMAN insider, or your approval wont come out until 2050 grin
incase you want me to handle this project for you. Happy Sunday Nairalander.
[/b]

15 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by AmAlone: 10:55am On Jan 29, 2012
eunisam:

1.Land for the feeling station how much?
2.How many tanker is needed,How much each?
3.A truck for conveying the fuel.
4.Building the structure how much?
5.Other things involved and joining the union,How much

There is definitely no specific amount required to build you a filling station.
But I can give a very close estimate.

*** Depending on the land. If you want quick return, then you need to consider having 2plots together by a (very) busy road
For land 22 to 25million upward(2plots). Which I learnt you can't use less than a plot to build a filling station again on a very busy road.
other documents to process your full ownership of the land can cost you and extra 4million(omonile,lawyer charge, and the others)

*** Since you own the filling station and its on a major road, you need around 11,000 litres tanker 10 to 12m and you need atleast 2.
One big one and one small one. The small one cost around 5 to 6.5m

*** The underground tank can cost your 4.5m to 5.5m(for 4. Kerosine, diesel and 2 for fuel) Depending the quality/size you want and the workmen involved though.
*** The structure will cost you nothing less than 16million upward.
*** Other thing involved can cost you much extra. 3m may do!!!!

3years ago when I made this enquiry  I was told 80M.

Though it depends on your location and the size. A small one can cost half this price(on a plot. but cannot be built on a busy road)
You can go for a land costing 500k to 5m. Build your filling station,
but be ready to drink you fuel. . .  .

6 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by talktrue1(m): 11:06am On Jan 29, 2012
aasog1:

1. Road Side Property along Winner, Otta Zone = I have no idea how much this cost my client. And this was 2 plots.
2.  Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria IPMAN Approval and Site Registration: #1,200,000
4. Construction Cost: (This was a 6 Nozzle Station: 4: Petrol, 1: Kerosene, 1: Diesel): #30,000,000

We are tlaking roughly #35,000,000.00 naira. NB: Minus the road side land. This always seems to sometimes outweigh the entire project.
I also dont know about the supply, marketing, aspect. So, please, kindly note this and do your research.

And kindly note: 6 nozzles is the highest you can go. And also note: as at 2010, IPMAN Lagos chapter changed the law that filling station must be built on 2plots of land or more. If you want 6 nozzles, you definitely need 2 plots or more. Also note that, the most expensive is 6 nozzles. We have 4, 3, 2, depending on how busy you want your station to be.

Extra: And when trying to get your approval, dont waste your time with a lawyer, find an IPMAN insider, or your approval wont come out until 2050 grin

Call: Engineer Adeyemi Tunde: 08036685576, incase you want me to handle this project for you. Happy Sunday Nairalander.
[/b]

That's a good analysis but remember Nigeria and bribe. btibe might cost you up to N5m
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by niapay(m): 11:07am On Jan 29, 2012
why not try our 4 pump 8 nozzle model At matheworama@gmail.com, installation in less than three days from arrival

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by kizito96(m): 11:28am On Jan 29, 2012
Trust Nigerians every body has suddenly become an analyst

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Koolking(m): 11:32am On Jan 29, 2012
aasog1:

Call: Engineer Adeyemi Tunde: 08036685576, incase you want me to handle this project for you. Happy Sunday Nairalander.
[/b]

Am Alone:

There is definitely no specific amount required to build you a filling station.
But I can give a very close estimate.

*** Depending on the land. If you want quick return, then you need to consider having 2plots together by a (very) busy road
For land 22 to 25million upward(2plots). Which I learnt you can't use less than a plot to build a filling station again on a very busy road.
other documents to process your full ownership of the land can cost you and extra 4million(omonile,lawyer charge, and the others)

*** Since you own the filling station and its on a major road, you need around 11,000 litres tanker 10 to 12m and you need atleast 2.
One big one and one small one. The small one cost around 5 to 6.5m

*** The underground tank can cost your 4.5m to 5.5m(for 4. Kerosine, diesel and 2 for fuel) Depending the quality/size you want and the workmen involved though.
*** The structure will cost you nothing less than 16million upward.
*** Other thing involved can cost you much extra. 3m may do!!!!

3years ago when I made this enquiry  I was told 80M.

Though it depends on your location and the size. A small one can cost half this price(on a plot. but cannot be built on a busy road)
You can go for a land costing 500k to 5m. Build your filling station,
but be ready to drink you fuel. . .  .

The above gives insight on what to expect. Op can now do his research based on those opinions. Thanks my brothers. I thought of this business venture in the nearest future with everything being equal.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by klairekk: 11:54am On Jan 29, 2012
y nt start by rentin one? if u need detailsend ur mail ID, location
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by playboy19(m): 12:08pm On Jan 29, 2012
You dont need alot money to start up. If you have your way on how to get the product on credit, then, you dont need more than 3-5m. I'm talking from my personal experience.
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by stagger: 12:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
I believe justice has been done to this topic 2 years back, and I sold a manual to this effect, prepared from information obtained from insiders.

However, I am not selling any manuals here. Much info on this topic abounds here on this forum, and I think the engineer's post is the closest you will get to an accurate description of what it entails, though there are a lot of details he missed out.

I think people should know what it takes to get the Approval to Construct and Approval to Lift papers. The procedures changed when Diezani Allison Madueke became the petroleum minister.
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
it can come up to 200 million, depending on the total area of the station, and the equipment you intend to use

total area of forecourt is always a big cost

then underground tanks at 1.5 million each for 45,000 litre tanks - and that is a basic tank, not double shell like is used in total

you need a vault for the tanks and the vault depends on the area ; waterlogged, dry, semi waterlogged

canopy - from -5 million depending on area

dispensing pumps from 500,000 - 2million, depending one make - marathon to wayne

piping depends on if you are using old school galvanised iron, or flexible plastic piping which is the standard

fire extinguishers etal

i could go on forever

floodlights, you can buy the cheap failure prone olmpia at 11k /unit, or original floodlights which cost from 30-60k

you need plenty of electrical cable

canopy lights - genuine canopy lights are at least 65/unit

are you selling fuel a lone or do you intend to host an eatery - if so you need a transformer.

most importantly, you need to engage a professional, or you may wind up doing things three times.

i have seen some sites that we have had to spend big money redoing because they were executed by road side practitioners

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by 27naira(m): 2:23pm On Jan 29, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked

To be a "big man" is not a day's job tongue

1 Like

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by udbyron1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2012
see as una dy write money like say en too small

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by ADEBYTE: 2:44pm On Jan 29, 2012
@starger
Would appreciate if u can send more info to me at biyiade2@yahoo.com
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by agiboma(f): 2:55pm On Jan 29, 2012
We got a filling station in PH, it really depends on where you want to set up here is a run down of the expenses we had.

1.) land for the station 2 million naira per plot, we bout 2 plots so total 4m naira
2.) underground tanks, pipes, pumps, construction of office building, 9m naira,
3.) DPO bribe, licensing etc. 500k
4.) product, ago, dpk, pms 8m naira

thats all i can think off the top of my head

1 Like

Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by sexlog(m): 3:26pm On Jan 29, 2012
I really appreciate all the inputs. A big thanks.
@stagger, what detail did aasog1, Am alone, and Oyb miss out? Thanks
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Turbocharged: 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2012
@playboy, do u sell kerosene at Agboju?
@ poster, not discouraging u but d ROI is not as they said hia. But make yr researc, meet station managers. group.aid234@gmail.com
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by McDoe(m): 6:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
17 mill will go along way
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Aluksboy(m): 7:08pm On Jan 29, 2012
I LUV THIS NAIRALANDERS, IT'S MY FUTURE INVESTMENT, SO PLS I NEED MORE DETAILS
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by member10: 7:43pm On Jan 29, 2012
[size=22pt]no b lie when they say you need money to make money.
All this analysis runing to 100milla.,. Hmm, where person wan make that kind of money cleanly, no chuwa chuwa or chop peoples money.

Well al I can say is God dey!
[/size]
Re: Starting Up A Filling Station: How Much Capital Is Needed? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2012
All these outrageous sums people aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ calling. Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ best way ℓ̊ know how to own a filling station is to rent ø® lease. lease under a major marketer S̴̩☺̩ Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't have to worry forever about loading products from Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ depot. MRS, Oando, AP aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ very good marketers. All in all 20m should do it with Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ bulk of cost being rent which could be for as much as 50 yrs ø® short lease of 2yrs if you aren't too sure. If poster is serious ℓ̊ advice you meet someone running a station for any major marketer but if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ got money to blow. Then follow Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ model of aasog but with that money and what ℓ̊ know, ℓ̊ will get 4 filling stations. Business is not an issue of owning but controlling especially when Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ project is capital intensive.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Are The Top Ten Richest People In Nigeria Now? / Inside Olu Okeowo's Lagos Mansion "Palacio De Okeowo" (photo, Video) / Sokoloan Are Very Nasty Set Of People, The Government Should Take Action (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.