Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? (16337 Views)

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / How Far Can You Trace Your Genealogy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Bazil(m): 11:03pm On Mar 31, 2013
Lack of respect for our history? Says the african american... seriously
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 01, 2013
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.
cool cool
Trace yours and free those who don't care
Blyss: Yeah, that's no surprise considering that you'all have pretty much allowed all of the ancient structural remenents of past empires crumble to nothingness, leading most of the world today to believe that the sub continent has never developed any thriving great civilizations. For example, the towering great moats of Benin City raved about in the Portuguese documentations of their travels to the ancient city.. are basically all gone, due to primarily a lack of care to maintain them for future generations to admire and marvel at.

All that's left are some minute abstract outer ring sections in which are buried under trash and jungle thickets; end result is that today Edo girls are out in mass all over Europe selling thier azzes, do to a lack of education as to the great power people they descend from. What a shame that you African don't cherish your histories as all of the great powers today do, hence the reason they are currently great powers.

Your history is the root of your pride and strength as a people, a lack of respect for it will certainly lead you into self destruction, hence Africa and the PIGS.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Ndipe(m): 4:54am On Apr 01, 2013
I can trace my history to my greatgrandfather who, along with his younger brothers, founded my village and the neighboring one. Actually, where I hail from was founded by my greatgrandfather, and the village still bears its name uptil now that I am writing it. The adjoining village was founded by his younger brother, while the next village immediately after the second village was founded by the third brother. I know little about their own origins, like where they came from to become founders of our village. And it's something that I wished I inquired from my dad. From my maternal side, her maternal grandfather was a judge during the colonial era, but died when my grandmother was very young. He was a very progressive man who saw to it that his daughter went to school. Alas, my grandmother dropped out when her father passed on. One of my late uncles, my mother's brother, who became a professor, conducted some research in London and saw a picture of his grandfather (my greatgrandfather, the judge) in a British Archive.

Interesting topic, I believe it's useful to learn of our origins. Countries like Guinea and Senegal rely on griots to narrate their family history.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Blyss: 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2013
Bazil: Lack of respect for our history? Says the african american... seriously

Dead serious.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Bazil(m): 6:09pm On Apr 01, 2013
Given the amount of AAs that ar trying so hard not to be associated with africa I don't think ur in a good position to run ur mouth like that bro
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 6:38pm On Apr 01, 2013
Ndipe: I can trace my history to my greatgrandfather who, along with his younger brothers, founded my village and the neighboring one. Actually, where I hail from was founded by my greatgrandfather, and the village still bears its name uptil now that I am writing it. The adjoining village was founded by his younger brother, while the next village immediately after the second village was founded by the third brother. I know little about their own origins, like where they came from to become founders of our village. And it's something that I wished I inquired from my dad. From my maternal side, her maternal grandfather was a judge during the colonial era, but died when my grandmother was very young. He was a very progressive man who saw to it that his daughter went to school. Alas, my grandmother dropped out when her father passed on. One of my late uncles, my mother's brother, who became a professor, conducted some research in London and saw a picture of his grandfather (my greatgrandfather, the judge) in a British Archive.

Interesting topic, I believe it's useful to learn of our origins. Countries like Guinea and Senegal rely on griots to narrate their family history.

So your village was founded in the 20th century?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Ndipe(m): 8:49pm On Apr 01, 2013
I dont know when it was founded
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by toshmann(m): 9:45pm On Apr 02, 2013
I can trace my ancestry back to 300yrs ago approximately!

It's so easy for me bc all I have to do is look at our hamlet, kindred, village, community and each of those are named after an ancestor of each generation. My hamlet is named after my great-great-great-grandfather.
All of us within the hamlet share the same great-great-great-grandfather. From there the family tree branches out 3 generations till my grandfather whom some of us saw. Then my dad and uncles then my siblings and finally . . . .ME cool Toshmann the Great!

Our kindred is named after the father of my great-great-great-grandfather , our village named after that one's father, etc up till our autonomous community. Going back about 200-300 yrs ago.

That's why most of our villages are named Umu-this/that.
Eg, my great-great-great-grandfather is called Obi, and the hamlet is called umuobi. We all from that hamlet are his descendants. He must have lived between 1780-1850 estimate.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 02, 2013
Blyss: Yeah, that's no surprise considering that you'all have pretty much allowed all of the ancient structural remenents of past empires crumble to nothingness, leading most of the world today to believe that the sub continent has never developed any thriving great civilizations. For example, the towering great moats of Benin City raved about in the Portuguese documentations of their travels to the ancient city.. are basically all gone, due to primarily a lack of care to maintain them for future generations to admire and marvel at.

All that's left are some minute abstract outer ring sections in which are buried under trash and jungle thickets; end result is that today Edo girls are out in mass all over Europe selling thier azzes, do to a lack of education as to the great power people they descend from. What a shame that you African don't cherish your histories as all of the great powers today do, hence the reason they are currently great powers.

Your history is the root of your pride and strength as a people, a lack of respect for it will certainly lead you into self destruction, hence Africa and the PIGS.

^^
lawd!!
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ektbear: 12:13am On Apr 03, 2013
This blyss person no get brain

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
ekt_bear: This blyss person no get brain
DON'T MIND HIM, HE WISH HE WAS IN AFRICA

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Bazil(m): 5:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
The guy iz constantly high on glue...
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by rabzy: 1:46am On Apr 05, 2013

Please don't stay on some high horse and just say things that you feel are politically correct. Those moats were still well taken care off until the monarchy and the whole city was razed down by the British, it took a while for the people to start picking pieces of their life, the monarchy that used to finance and enforce some cleanups and maintain all our structures was in exile for decades, and by the time it was restored, it had lost all its powers and had to depend on the new powers for existence and sustenance. Or you expect my grandfather to live his farm and start tending a moat that does not serve any immediate usefulness to him or do you know if they would have been risking their lives to even try and maintain a defensive structure of Benin under the nose of a foreign power.
So if the new powers does not take care of it, how do you expect the king who does not collect taxes and other royal dues or the ordinary folks of benin to take care of such a massive structure as the moat.

In fact how many ancient structures like that were in tact all through their existence, is it not in modern times that people start talking about preservation and what not. How many of the seven ancient wonders of the world are still standing, all the great aztec temples where are they now. All the great temple of zeus, artemis and other great infrastruture of Rome is it not a fraction that are left in place. The great castles of europes that was scattered all over the continent, how many of them are still standing.

Make you go relax jor.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Blyss: 3:22am On Apr 05, 2013
Bazil: Lack of respect for our history? Says the african american... seriously

Yeah, says the AA. You have a problem with that, son?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Blyss: 3:42am On Apr 05, 2013
ekt_bear: This blyss person no get brain

LOL, ok I may not "get brain" but I certainly do get eye's... and even blind and dead Ray Charles can clearly see the presence of the shiat I spoke about. cheesy The truth of the matter is the Sub-continent Cant Get Right, because it's stwisted with the sins of it's fathers, who stabbed millions of their own people in the back and then turned around and allowed the remanents of thousands of years of history to rot away like trash. The conclusion is, you don't respect your people and you do not respect your history, thus you are lost and in shambles, and it doesn't take brains to see that, just a good pair of eyes. I've got 20/20 vission, Ace. cheesy
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ektbear: 3:51am On Apr 05, 2013
Wetin be "twisted with the sins of it's fathers?"

OK, let us grant your assumption that those whose ancestors were involved in slave-raiding are also guilty (though then it seems fair for me to call you a r@pist and p3dophile and murderer, since there is bound to be someone in your ancestry who committed r@pe/p3dophilia/murder).

What about the vast majority of us in Africa who have no such ancestors?

Anyway, you are free to come to whatever conclusions you like. But the opinions of a brainless fellow who also knows nothing about the people he is judging are worth less than the toilet paper I use to wipe my @ss with.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Blyss: 3:54am On Apr 05, 2013
rabzy:

Please don't stay on some high horse and just say things that you feel are politically correct. Those moats were still well taken care off until the monarchy and the whole city was razed down by the British, it took a while for the people to start picking pieces of their life, the monarchy that used to finance and enforce some cleanups and maintain all our structures was in exile for decades, and by the time it was restored, it had lost all its powers and had to depend on the new powers for existence and sustenance. Or you expect my grandfather to live his farm and start tending a moat that does not serve any immediate usefulness to him or do you know if they would have been risking their lives to even try and maintain a defensive structure of Benin under the nose of a foreign power.
So if the new powers does not take care of it, how do you expect the king who does not collect taxes and other royal dues or the ordinary folks of benin to take care of such a massive structure as the moat.

In fact how many ancient structures like that were in tact all through their existence, is it not in modern times that people start talking about preservation and what not. How many of the seven ancient wonders of the world are still standing, all the great aztec temples where are they now. All the great temple of zeus, artemis and other great infrastruture of Rome is it not a fraction that are left in place. The great castles of europes that was scattered all over the continent, how many of them are still standing.

Make you go relax jor.

Preservation is a collective effort. Nigeria makes 100's of billions of $ a year from just oil sells, there is no excuse, but the same lackluster attitude among the people, in which lead to the current state of mass dilapidation in which currently penetrates nearly every network of that nation. The current state of the nations infrastructure was inevitable prior to it even being initially developed. One only needed to look at how much you'all cared to take care of your pre-colonial infrastructures. You make excuses about why you didn't do that, so it's only logical that you'all proceeded to make the same once the new crumbled.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by toshmann(m): 4:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII:

How you Living Fam?....

Yeah Brah, I know it must be tough, I seen a few of you Pisss Colored Yellow Niqqahz Walking Around in Central Park just a few Moments ago while i was out there Jogging

Man, Those Dudes Looked Lonely as Hell.

3 of them, just sitting there Conversing with themselves and Whining About How Spanish Women don't want them.

I felt bad for them.

Thank God I'm Mixed and Pretty and Not Born as a Genetic Defective Urine Colored Negroid With No Unique Features that Stand Out..

May God Blesseth all the Piss Colored Yellow Urine Toned Niqqahz all throughout America, Us Gorgeous Mixed People Pray for You All..

........God Life Must be Tough being an Ugly Lightskin Blk Guy.......

Awkward and Corny, No Spanish Accent,No Blatino Accent, No Swag, No Hair, No Identity, No African Warrior-Ness to Speak Of..

Just a Regular Black Dude with Melanin Deficiencies, A Defective Negroid Organism......

A Watered Down Negro........

A Diluted Black Man........

A Knockoff....

An OffBrand....

A Fake......

A Fraud.....

A Fraudulent Niqqah...

A Counterfeit Clone of A Cloak, A Mock of Mother Africa....

I wouldn't wish that Upon any Female, not even my worst female Enemy

Keep Ya Head up Brotha, Im sure there is some self hating Darkskin Chick Looking for a Urine Colored Savior

As Far as the Topic, I'm West African and Boricua.... cool

grin
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
The thing that escapes my understanding is why people think that the modern-day moral perspective through which we analyze things like slavery can be applied to past eras. I have always said this and I will continue to say it: slavery is an issue which is best discussed in the context of the time period within which it occurs. Just a we cannot condemn an ancient Incan for sacrificing a human being to his people's sun god (since human sacrifice was a perfectly understandable social norm in that particular day and society), it is equally wrong for us to condemn an African for participating in slavery and the slave trade.

The truth is that those who continue to utter statements like "Africans are wicked for selling off their brothers" continue to display their irritating level of ignorance on issues regarding precolonial African economics and social organization.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 8:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
odumchi: The thing that escapes my understanding is why people think that the modern-day moral perspective through which we analyze things like slavery can be applied to past eras. I have always said this and I will continue to say it: slavery is an issue which is best discussed in the context of the time period within which it occurs. Just a we cannot condemn an ancient Incan for sacrificing a human being to his people's sun god (since human sacrifice was a perfectly understandable social norm in that particular day and society), it is equally wrong for us to condemn an African for participating in slavery and the slave trade.

The truth is that those who continue to utter statements like "Africans are wicked for selling off their brothers" continue to display their irritating level of ignorance on issues regarding precolonial African economics and social organization.

I disagree. Would you say the same for the Europeans on the other side? People 300 years ago were modern humans and weren't dumb. Slavery was driven by one thing and that is greed, so human-sacrificing was driven by another greed for power and control. None of those desires have changed. I highly doubt the African slave traders thought what they were doing was normal, since many were even into kidnapping. If it were not wickedness, then what would you say to the victims if this were 300 years ago?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by toshmann(m): 9:03pm On Apr 05, 2013
odumchi: The thing that escapes my understanding is why people think that the modern-day moral perspective through which we analyze things like slavery can be applied to past eras. I have always said this and I will continue to say it: slavery is an issue which is best discussed in the context of the time period within which it occurs. Just a we cannot condemn an ancient Incan for sacrificing a human being to his people's sun god (since human sacrifice was a perfectly understandable social norm in that particular day and society), it is equally wrong for us to condemn an African for participating in slavery and the slave trade.

odumchi i stronlgy disagree, evil is evil in every generation cool
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Blyss: 2:56am On Apr 06, 2013

LOL @ this cat attempting to make lame azz excuses for clear minded wickedness. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Bazil(m): 11:55am On Apr 06, 2013
Blyss:

Yeah, says the AA. You have a problem with that, son?
Yeah cause I think you should focus on your own problem before critisizing others,AAs arnt doing much better when it comes to this issue, why don't you first deal with the thousands of your brothers that are denying their african ancestry and then u can talk about lack of respect for our history. STop thinking you've figured everything out because you read a few articles and studies on google.........
Just sayinnn
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by isalegan2: 12:16am On Apr 15, 2013
odumchi: Africans, and Nigerians specifically, are very proud people. In Naija, we value our cultures and histories and more importantly, the significant people in our families. So my question to you guys is how far back can you trace your ancestry?

I can trace my ancestry back to the 17th century leading to oba of Eko monarchy. I haven't tried to research beyond that, but will. . . soon. And of course, that's just one side. wink
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 5:26am On Apr 15, 2013
ezeagu:

I disagree. Would you say the same for the Europeans on the other side? People 300 years ago were modern humans and weren't dumb. Slavery was driven by one thing and that is greed, so human-sacrificing was driven by another greed for power and control. None of those desires have changed. I highly doubt the African slave traders thought what they were doing was normal, since many were even into kidnapping. If it were not wickedness, then what would you say to the victims if this were 300 years ago?

You're failing to realize that the world is not, has never been, and will never be a fair place. Throughout human history, the demand for labor has always exceeded the supply. As a result, societies around the world have devised various creative methods, both forceful and peaceful, in order to feed the demand for labor.

Let me remind you that greed is a part of human nature. Every man is born with the desire to gain control over others and supersede them in order to secure his own well-being. Analyzing it from a purely economic perspective, slavery, in the precolonial African context, was a social structure that allowed the strong to manipulate the weak and supply themselves with human labor. However, as with all things human, we tend to easily corrupt whatever we do. The Europeans, whose attitudes towards slavery differed starkly from that of most Nigerian peoples, played a large role in the commercialization and "racialization" of slavery.

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 15, 2013
^ cool
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 7:35am On Apr 15, 2013
odumchi:

You're failing to realize that the world is not, has never been, and will never be a fair place. Throughout human history, the demand for labor has always exceeded the supply. As a result, societies around the world have devised various creative methods, both forceful and peaceful, in order to feed the demand for labor.

Let me remind you that greed is a part of human nature. Every man is born with the desire to gain control over others and supersede them in order to secure his own well-being. Analyzing it from a purely economic perspective, slavery, in the precolonial African context, was a social structure that allowed the strong to manipulate the weak and supply themselves with human labor. However, as with all things human, we tend to easily corrupt whatever we do. The Europeans, whose attitudes towards slavery differed starkly from that of most Nigerian peoples, played a large role in the commercialization and "racialization" of slavery.

The demand for labour doesn't make the transatlantic trade in humans any more moral or natural. If you look at it from a social and political point of view it was what led to the collapse of the Igbo society and many other African societies through erratic conflicts which made it much easier for European colonists and missionaries to invade West Africa. The point is that the people trading slaves knew that what they were doing was wickedness, but they didn't care because of the immediate economic gains that they were getting which eventually led to the destruction of their way of life. "The world has never been a fair place", well that doesn't mean you kidnap 5 year olds at night and sell them off to monsters.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
African slavery was definitely different from european slavery. African slavery was never based on racism and the need to crush human dignity and religious conversion, cultural/identity destruction, mass-systematic torture/rape.etc.

I can assure you that THIS didnt exist in West African slavery :

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
just imagine say, for example an African Touareg tribesman beating up a Bella slave in such a manner for the sole pleasure of it. *smh

not possible and not happening. .

1 Like

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 8:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
ezeagu:

The demand for labour doesn't make the transatlantic trade in humans any more moral or natural. If you look at it from a social and political point of view it was what led to the collapse of the Igbo society and many other African societies through erratic conflicts which made it much easier for European colonists and missionaries to invade West Africa. The point is that the people trading slaves knew that what they were doing was wickedness, but they didn't care because of the immediate economic gains that they were getting which eventually led to the destruction of their way of life. "The world has never been a fair place", well that doesn't mean you kidnap 5 year olds at night and sell them off to monsters.

My argument was made towards precolonial indigenous African slavery. I regard the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade as a whole different beast.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by isalegan2: 3:25am On Oct 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
African slavery was definitely different from european slavery. African slavery was never based on racism and the need to crush human dignity and religious conversion, cultural/identity destruction, mass-systematic torture/rape.etc.

I can assure you that THIS didnt exist in West African slavery :

You're right. Even slavery in the bible wasn't anything like slavery in the Americas. Slaves didn't have to give up their children, and they could legally marry, etc. The word "slave" is not even bad enough to intimate the treatment of those oppressed beings in antebellum USA and during reconstruction. They were treated worse than domesticated dogs.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
isale_gan2:

You're right. Even slavery in the bible wasn't anything like slavery in the Americas. Slaves didn't have to give up their children, and they could legally marry, etc. The word "slave" is not even bad enough to intimate the treatment of those oppressed beings in antebellum USA and during reconstruction. They were treated worse than domesticated dogs.

please my brother. when discussing slavery of Africans, i consider it unwise to portray the bible in good light. the very book that was the root cause of this mass deportation of our ancestors brothers and sisters.

give some other example next time. Like slavery under the Romans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Cultural Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.