Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) (8681 Views)

They Want To Disgrace Me - Linda Defends Birkins After Hermes Confirms It's Fake / Igbo Leaders A Disgrace – Etcetera / Davido Acts Rude, Disgrace Nigerian Music In Kenyan Concert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by lucarella: 10:57pm On Jan 29, 2012
I was browsing on the web and i came about this

I was sitting in my car, on my way to a meeting and I tuned the radio to 102.3 fm (Radio Continental). It was 4:30 pm and they were doing a particular show at that time. The name of the show was ‘wetin dey’. I decided to listen a little and lo and behold, they were presenting a segment sponsored by Golden Penny noodles. Now all the presenters were dialoguing in ‘pidgin english’ and the segment they were about to present was a segment for kids where they have to call in and answer a question with chances of winning prizes. If you want to call in during this segment, you shouldn’t be more than 15 years. I was very surprised when kids started calling in and the same mode, the ‘pidgin English’ was used to communicate to them and they also answered in the same manner. Some of the kids that called in just came back from school and they were speaking ‘pidgin english’. Very young kids! No wonder our kids of nowadays can’t speak fluent English. I must say that is very irresponsible on the path of the presenters of that particular show, the Golden Penny Noodles brand and the radio station (Radio Continental) for encouraging such. What are we teaching our children? In the same vein, we at Brand Focus have come out to say that that particular program should either be scrapped, or the segment for the children should be taken down immediately. If it is not done in the next three weeks, a formal letter will be written to Golden Penny Noodles Company stating our dissatisfaction with that particular program and if there isn’t any prompt response, they will hear from our lawyers.
We at Brand Focus speak for the public. We analyze brands and events and discourage those that aren’t good for the public and at the end of the year; we reveal the best brands of the year. It is our country. Let us not use our hands to destroy it. God bless Nigeria.

http://brandfocusng..com/2012/01/golden-penny-noodles-disgrace-to.html

Read and post your opinions.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by naike17: 5:26pm On Sep 08, 2012
Hello,

I write on behalf of Golden Penny Foods.
We were aware of the issue and even though it has taken long to make this comment, the show was stopped.
Thank you for your honest observation.
We however want to inform you that we have the best interest of the Country and Kids in mind.

Regards...and God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by ajiantochi(m): 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
Too much intelligence is killing dis world...lawyers because of a child speaking pidgin??..if U̶̲̥̅̊ re nt happy wit ur kids speaking pidgin, den take dem far away frm d programme, while dose whu speak nd appreciate it shd participate..u created dis kind of topic 4 a situation like dat? Man dat aint good.. Golden penny u guys ar on point.. Shekina..

1 Like

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by kennyGGG(f): 8:33pm On Sep 08, 2012
ajiantochi: Too much intelligence is killing dis world...lawyers because of a child speaking pidgin??..if U̶̲̥̅̊ re nt happy wit ur kids speaking pidgin, den take dem far away frm d programme, while dose whu speak nd appreciate it shd participate..u created dis kind of topic 4 a situation like dat? Man dat aint good.. Golden penny u guys ar on point.. Shekina..

Dont mind the over sabi Brand Focus people. they are actually speaking for themselves. Where were they when the Ariel advert showing a kid staining his uniform so as not to go to school? Where are they now with the MTN win Airplane promo. They are just being biased as I guess they are working for some competitors
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 08, 2012
what is wrong with the program? kids speaking pidgin? so what? who be those Brand Focus people sef?
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
What madness, nigerians can be so fake. Striving †☺ speak the white man's language when we can't even speak ours. I wonder the day this nation will come †☺ her senses Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd put pidgin where it belongs-make it our lingua franca. The most powerful woman in the world in the person of the German chancellor Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd so many leaders of note in many non English countries do not speak the English language Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd we see nothing wrong in it.

If only pidgin Iڪ given its place, it has the potential †☺ be one of the most spoken languages in the world.

What Iڪ wrong if a Nigerian travels †☺ London Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd speaks pidgin at a world business forum while an interpreter interprets. We will automatically be creating thousands of jobs f̶̲̥̅̊☺я interpreters Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd creating new fields of study in language.

Google has created google pidgin hoping we will fill it up with contents one day but come †☺ think of it, how many nigerians even knows it exists?

I am really sorry f̶̲̥̅̊☺я this nation Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd how deep colonial mentality has eaten deep into us. We all want to be like the white man, talk Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd behave like them. Forgetting that Iڪ how they were born, that Iڪ their culture even though it Iڪ very dynamic. We forget we have our own culture. We will continue †☺ be slaves †☺ our own mediocre minds Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd third class citizens in our own country until we change our mentality.

Pidgin I believe Iڪ the most dynamic Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd best thing Africa can export †☺ the world, it Iڪ a fun language that Iڪ easy †☺ learn Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd modifies itself daily, it changes †☺ fit every dialect from Cameroon †☺ liberia but instead we are bent on killing it.

I really pity the average mediocre Nigerian mind. Shame on you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 08, 2012
blink182: What madness, nigerians can be so fake. Striving †☺ speak the white man's language when we can't even speak ours. I wonder the day this nation will come †☺ her senses Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd put pidgin where it belongs-make it our lingua franca. The most powerful woman in the world in the person of the German chancellor Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd so many leaders of note in many non English countries do not speak the English language Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd we see nothing wrong in it.

If only pidgin Iڪ given its place, it has the potential †☺ be one of the most spoken languages in the world.

What Iڪ wrong if a Nigerian travels †☺ London Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd speaks pidgin at a world business forum while an interpreter interprets. We will automatically be creating thousands of jobs f̶̲̥̅̊☺я interpreters Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd creating new fields of study in language.

Google has created google pidgin hoping we will fill it up with contents one day but come †☺ think of it, how many nigerians even knows it exists?

I am really sorry f̶̲̥̅̊☺я this nation Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd how deep colonial mentality has eaten deep into us. We all want to be like the white man, talk Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd behave like them. Forgetting that Iڪ how they were born, that Iڪ their culture even though it Iڪ very dynamic. We forget we have our own culture. We will continue †☺ be slaves †☺ our own mediocre minds Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd third class citizens in our own country until we change our mentality.

Pidgin I believe Iڪ the most dynamic Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd best thing Africa can export †☺ the world, it Iڪ a fun language that Iڪ easy †☺ learn Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd modifies itself daily, it changes †☺ fit every dialect from Cameroon †☺ liberia but instead we are bent on killing it.

thank you my brother. i been wan talk dis tin wey you write so, only say i no sabi write for oyinbo english na im make i just click 'like' ontop your post. helep me tell dem oh! dem even threaten to sue Golden Penny sef undecided choi!

2 Likes

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by babylahot(f): 1:26am On Sep 09, 2012
Pigin english make sense die.. Y pple to deyu form self. Mtchewwww
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 09, 2012
naike17: Hello,

I write on behalf of Golden Penny Foods.
We were aware of the issue and even though it has taken long to make this comment, the show was stopped.
Thank you for your honest observation.
We however want to inform you that we have the best interest of the Country and Kids in mind.

Regards...and God Bless Nigeria.
. For cryin out loud, it ain't proper to use pidgin in a program met to be for kids. Y do u thing most parents take their child to a private school? Yea, to have a perfect knowledge of English lang.if it were University students it would ve been excusable, Atleast, he realized the big mistake on their path and apologized.

1 Like

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2012
honeypie311: . For cryin out loud, it ain't proper to use pidgin in a program met to be for kids. Y do u thing most parents take their child to a private school? Yea, to have a perfect knowledge of English lang.if it were University students it would ve been excusable, Atleast, he realized the big mistake on their path and apologized.
See this mumu English progressive when no know anything. Spell you no sabi, lexis Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd structure you no abi. Speak pidgin na, u say na taboo. You need deliverance o.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 09, 2012
blink182: See this mumu English progressive when no know anything. Spell you no sabi, lexis Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd structure you no abi. Speak pidgin na, u say na taboo. You need deliverance o.
. Do i have to exchange words with a nonentity like u? No i dont cos I'm above that. Go get a life and when u ve children, coach them in pidgin english.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Aizebioje(m): 7:56am On Sep 09, 2012
Ok I dnt get what ur problem is buh therez absolutely nothing wrong in speaking pidgin...U said something about Parents taking their Children to Private Schools so they can learn how to speak pidgin,DO U HONESTLY THINK THOSE KIDS DON'T SPEAK PIDGIN?HONESTLY If Estelle could remix Oliver Twist in pidgin,WHAT IS WRONG IN Kids(NIGERIAN KIDS FOR THAT MATTER) speaking pidgin?like U said,IT WAS A PIDGIN ENGLISH PROGRAMME!!!
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 09, 2012
honeypie311: . Do i have to exchange words with a nonentity like u? No i dont cos I'm above that. Go get a life and when u ve children, coach them in pidgin english.
Awwww...she's a girl. Sorry f̶̲̥̅̊☺я pricking your ego.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by naike17: 1:14pm On Sep 10, 2012
blink182: See this mumu English progressive when no know anything. Spell you no sabi, lexis Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd structure you no abi. Speak pidgin na, u say na taboo. You need deliverance o.

Hello Guys,

Would it have been wrong to have a show for kids in any other Nigerian Language. Probably not.
What we aim to do is to ensure we can reach out to every Nigerian regardless of language.
nevertheless, we do not want to have any unproductive relationship with any of our stakeholders (brand focus included).
we would continue to ensure we deliver great products to our customers.

Thank you for your concern and comments
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by naike17: 1:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Hello Guys,

Would it have been wrong to have a show for kids in any other Nigerian Language. Probably not.
What we aim to do is to ensure we can reach out to every Nigerian regardless of language.
nevertheless, we do not want to have any unproductive relationship with any of our stakeholders (brand focus included).
we would continue to ensure we deliver great products to our customers.

Thank you for your concern and comments
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Ademab(m): 3:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
blink182: What madness, nigerians can be so fake. Striving †☺ speak the white man's language when we can't even speak ours. I wonder the day this nation will come †☺ her senses Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd put pidgin where it belongs-make it our lingua franca. The most powerful woman in the world in the person of the German chancellor Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd so many leaders of note in many non English countries do not speak the English language Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd we see nothing wrong in it.

true yarn but  expect make u talk am for pidgin at least make we start from dir.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Reptyle(m): 12:42pm On Sep 11, 2012
I really do not see what the furore was about in the first place. A 30 minutes to 1 hour programme on radio will neither add or detract from a child's control of the English language.

I actually consider it a plus for a child to be able to speak the pidgen English because it is part of our national heritage whether we agree or not. Pidgen as far as I am concerned is another Nigerian language and not "bad English" as wrongly assumed by Brand Focus and their ilk. It has its unique and distinct grammar, lexicon and structure. It borrows a lot from English but has evolved a lot of unique words and expressions that do not exist in the English language. It is a variant of Creole spoken in parts of West Africa and Patois spoken in the West Indies.

Would Brand Focus have an issue with children calling in to contribute to a programme broadcast in Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo or any of the other Nigerian languages?

I think it is grossly unfair to deprive children, who may not have access to the kind of schooling in "fluent English" that the brand focus people may have had, the opportunity to express themselves on a public radio show. In my opinion, it is brand focus that should be dragged before a court to answer for charges bordering on trampling on the right of Nigerians of all ages to express themselves freely.

Abeg this brand focus people were just seeking for undue attention jare!

2 Likes

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by strangest(m): 12:55pm On Sep 11, 2012
Inferiority complex don dey worry a lot of people, just imagine, Fela's song no be for pidgin? Abi was Fela not popular? Pidgin na our unique language and if you get any issue wit am abegi go hide
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Trendytessy(f): 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2012
Reptyle: I really do not see what the furore was about in the first place. A 30 minutes to 1 hour programme on radio will neither add or detract from a child's control of the English language.

I actually consider it a plus for a child to be able to speak the pidgen English because it is part of our national heritage whether we agree or not. Pidgen as far as I am concerned is another Nigerian language and not "bad English" as wrongly assumed by Brand Focus and their ilk. It has its unique and distinct grammar, lexicon and structure. It borrows a lot from English but has evolved a lot of unique words and expressions that do not exist in the English language. It is a variant of Creole spoken in parts of West Africa and Patois spoken in the West Indies.

Would Brand Focus have an issue with children calling in to contribute to a programme broadcast in Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo or any of the other Nigerian languages?

I think it is grossly unfair to deprive children, who may not have access to the kind of schooling in "fluent English" that the brand focus people may have had, the opportunity to express themselves on a public radio show. In my opinion, it is brand focus that should be dragged before a court to answer for charges bordering on trampling on the right of Nigerians of all ages to express themselves freely.

Abeg this brand focus people were just seeking for undue attention jare!

don't mind dose "over sabi" brand focus talkin as if they don't speak pidgin English...the language which other countries are even trying to learn. Mtcheew
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by lucarella: 10:02pm On Sep 12, 2012
i am shocked that you guys can actually take sides with encouraging pidgin english. The difference between pidgin english and other languages is that pidgin is a form of english but its spoken in another way. And for small kids?? comon!!
As an adult, you can learn pidgin, but not as a small kid. There is no how the kids will be fluent in english and pidgin english at the same time when being taught at this age. One will give way for the other.

4 Likes

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
lucarella: i am shocked that you guys can actually take sides with encouraging pidgin english. The difference between pidgin english and other languages is that pidgin is a form of english but its spoken in another way. And for small kids?? comon!!
As an adult, you can learn pidgin, but not as a small kid. There is no how the kids will be fluent in english and pidgin english at the same time when being taught at this age. One will give way for the other.
tah comot there! who tell you? wetin de do una sef? can you tell me that you didnt speak pidgin when you were little? did it make you any less fluent in you grasp of English? see eh, before those children go carry phone caal in, you no think say their papa and mama go don give them permission? so na one rubbish brand focus go dictate how another person go train im pikin? nonsense and ingredients!
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 12, 2012
in fact dont you know that little children are more adept at learning multiple languages than adults? see you saying you can learn it as an adult. how do kids manage to speak their local tribal dialect and english at the same time? did one give way for the other? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 13, 2012
No wonder most of you can't write properly on Nairaland. I'd rather we glorify a Nigerian language than pidgin. Pidgin is not another language, it is just a crude form of English where the tenses are misconstrued. It does nothing for your English grammar of which you would eventually write your exams in. Let pidgin be kept at informal settings.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by mcchegzy(m): 8:49am On Sep 13, 2012
I think brand focus is just trying to get attention. Has anyone here heard of them before?
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by dabraska: 8:58am On Sep 13, 2012
brokoto: tah comot there! who tell you? wetin de do una sef? can you tell me that you didnt speak pidgin when you were little? did it make you any less fluent in you grasp of English? see eh, before those children go carry phone caal in, you no think say their papa and mama go don give them permission? so na one rubbish brand focus go dictate how another person go train im pikin? nonsense and ingredients!
How can you say that Pidgin English is a language? Very lame and shallow thinking! It is called Pidgin English! NOT Pidgin Language! Are you sure you went to school??
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by lucarella: 9:02am On Sep 13, 2012
All I am trying to say is simple. The kids do not need that form of English at their young age. If it was needed, there would have been a legal agreement for it to be in educational activities. And it is not a language. It is a mis-constructed form of English. We are all complaining that the rate of WAEC failure especially in English is very high. This is doing more harm to them than good.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by kokoA(m): 10:07pm On Sep 13, 2012
Busy body people.. Wtf is wrong with having a 30minutes pidgin english programme for our kids? Where were they when Indomie used "mama to good o" as a theme song for their commercials on tv and radio?

1 Like

Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 14, 2012
dabraska:
How can you say that Pidgin English is a language? Very lame and shallow thinking! It is called Pidgin English! NOT Pidgin Language! Are you sure you went to school??
una see me o! pls can you show me where i called it pigin language?
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by dabraska: 5:57am On Sep 14, 2012
brokoto: in fact dont you know that little children are more adept at learning multiple languages than adults? see you saying you can learn it as an adult. how do kids manage to speak their local tribal dialect and english at the same time? did one give way for the other? undecided undecided undecided
Mr man, some of us are not illiterates now. What does this post mean?
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Akposkool(m): 9:52am On Sep 14, 2012
Poster i dont see anything wrong with pidgin.too much western wanabes are blowing the brains of most Nigerians.
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by Dagods(m): 1:05pm On Sep 14, 2012
angryWat on earth is dis guy talkin about,wetin be ur own sef? ehn over sabi dey worry u.i 2 know u get problem o. as u tuned ur radio 2 92.3 fm &u know like d program, u 4 change 2 Tiwan-Tiwa fm now,na wa 4 people sef,so make YAW& his team @ wazobia fm close down dere OGBONGE" station abi?mcseeeewww...
Re: Golden Penny Noodles: A Disgrace To The Society (shocking) by dabraska: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
if you guys like, instruct a pidgin lesson teacher for your kids. But the last thing I want to hear is that our children are failing english in WAEC and tins. Pidgin is a Nigerian language whr you come from ba? I SMH for you people. undecided undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Ten Richest Musicians In Nigeria #2019 (photos) / Muna Obiekwe Goes To Grave With An Ipad: / Chris Okotie Grammer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.