Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,826 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option (1269 Views)

Clean Registered Rx 300, Four Cylinder For Sale In PHC / Red Toyota Corolla With Tapping Glass Four Cylinder Engine,clean Interrior / 1997 Honda Accord 2.2L Four Cylinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Kashif(m): 10:52am On Jan 30, 2012
I am not an automobile expert, but I am not a complete novice either. I am just wondering if it would be possible to build a six-cylinder engine in V configuration, with the option for the driver to use 4/6 of the cylinders or 6/6 when so desired. When doing city driving, he could use four cylinders to improve economy, but when on the highway and needs power, could switch to six cylinders.

What could be the timing, load-balancing, and other challenges? Just thinking, Is this what a turbo charger could be instead? Cheers!
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 30, 2012
Hmnn grin
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Kashif(m): 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
tpacalipse:

Hmnn grin

Impossible?
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2012
For the fact that a car is 4cylinder engine does not mean it is more economical. It depends on so many things and what you are really after. But for your question, it could be possible but I really do not know.
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Kashif(m): 7:14pm On Jan 31, 2012
tpacalipse:

For the fact that a car is 4cylinder engine does not mean it is more economical. It depends on so many things and what you are really after. But for your question, it could be possible but I really do not know.

The emboldened part is not true for city driving, or idling, which we face daily in Lagos.

Where are the experts please? wink
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by eddy42k(m): 8:40am On Feb 01, 2012
i have a 6cylinders that save fuel than my four cylinders.
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Kashif(m): 1:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
What car is that please?
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by eddy42k(m): 8:08pm On Feb 02, 2012
1998 qx maxima v6 2000 toyota camry 2.2 4cylinda,i love my v6
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by KunleA2(m): 8:34pm On Feb 02, 2012
Kashif:

I am not an automobile expert, but I am not a complete novice either. I am just wondering if it would be possible to build a six-cylinder engine in V configuration, with the option for the driver to use 4/6 of the cylinders or 6/6 when so desired. When doing city driving, he could use four cylinders to improve economy, but when on the highway and needs power, could switch to six cylinders.

What could be the timing, load-balancing, and other challenges? Just thinking,  Is this what a turbo charger could be instead? Cheers!

The system is already in existence. Currently deployed in the Benz 600 (V-12 Engine) series. It switches to 6 cylinder while driving in the streets and switch back to 12 Cyl when deemed necessary.

However, as with any technology, it starts with high end very expensive models first before it moves down to the low end vehicles. These types of engine management systems are usually sold to companies that can most afford it first. after they re-coup the research and development money, they then move to "cheaper" models.

Just wait or buy a high performance 4 cylinder engines (Honda Type R) for now.

Happy Motoring.

Awaye
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by Kashif(m): 3:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Thank you.
Re: Six Cylinder Engine With Four Cylinder Option by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:42am On Jul 04, 2014
Engine cylinder deactivation

Honda's Variable Cylinder Management

Starting with the 2005 Odyssey, Honda applied cylinder-deactivation-dubbed Variable Cylinder Management-technology to its 3.5-liter i-VTEC ("i" for "intelligent") V-6 engine. When high output was needed, the engine ran on all 6 cylinders. While cruising and under light load, one bank of 3 cylinders was idled. The unwanted cylinders were sealed shut for the duration, minimizing internal pumping losses. As soon as full power was demanded, the additional valves went into action and their cylinders began to receive fuel.

In Honda's VCM V-6, the hydraulic circuit consists of two systems, each capable of providing the pressure needed to actuate the synchronizing piston that disables the unneeded valves. This is accomplished by separating the two tandem rocker arms that work with each valve, causing it to remain shut.

Honda's control system monitors throttle position, vehicle and engine speed, and automatic-transmission gear selection, to determine if the vehicle is cruising or decelerating. When idling those 3 cylinders, the system also alters ignition timing and turns the transmission's torque converter lock-up on and off, to suppress jolting during the transition between 6- and 3-cylinder operation.

Later, Accord and Pilot models could also get VCM. Honda claimed "a smooth, seamless switch between 3- and 6-cylinder modes that is nearly unnoticeable to the driver."

Except for Honda's V-6 engine, most cylinder deactivation is applied to domestically-built truck V-8 engines, though various GM V-6 engines also are benefitting from the technology. Still, the systems don't get nearly as much attention as some other methods of boosting fuel economy.

(1) (Reply)

CHEVOLET ALERO DIRECT FROM BELGIUM / 05 Landrover Freelander Rhd. / Clean Toyota Sienna 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.