Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? (5312 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / He Never Proposed Formally But Were Getting Married! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by pseg: 1:48pm On Oct 15, 2007
to all d married and about to marry peeps in the house (dats if ur wedding ivs are out),how did u tell your parents you were ready to get married. Pls share. me and my fiance have decided to walk down the aisle next yr and we want to announce formally to our parents,I'm just thinking of the best way to inform them in such a way that i can equally thank them for being good parents for the past 26yrs of my life . My fiance and I are doing well now and we want to move to the next phase of our relationship and life and we want all procedures such as introduction bla bla to commence. guys pls share how did u inform ur parents.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by mishooo(m): 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2007
Each situation is different from another. some guys have been told not to come home at December unless with their fiancee/fiance and some are being called every week and being asked the question of Marriage et al. But the main issue is your age, your maturity/composure and level of independency.

Cant really eleborate on those points now but you should get what i mean. So telling them is a simple thing because they will even guess before you tell them sometimes. But it depends on a lot of things.

BTW, no parent will be sad that their Son/Daughter is getting married unless - - - - - - -
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Busta(f): 2:44pm On Oct 15, 2007
very good question. I am curious to know especially when u think that they might approve of ur fiancee
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Olad234(m): 2:45pm On Oct 15, 2007
My Dear chap! Have you introduce your fiancé/fiancée to both parent? If Yes there's no two ways about it, Firstly let them know when you're ready for Know me know you. At the day of your know me know you, is when you and your spouse will be ask to choose a date. cool Furthermore let me give you piece of advice (1) Both for You shouldn't borrow for marriage ceremony.(Money) (2) Do it according to your pocket because marriage is for a lifetime not the ceremony! Stay Bless and Have a successful Marriage life.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Attention(f): 10:42am On Oct 16, 2007
I told them:

Somebody would be coming to our house this evening, please look at him very well and access him if you want, when he leaves, i would tell you the purpose of his visit.

He came and left, I told them: He wants to marry me and I love him.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by pseg: 12:49pm On Oct 16, 2007
attention, that was really funny o,my so so laughing on my seat now. didnt they know him before then?
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 19, 2007
Lovely thread
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by presido1: 11:41pm On Oct 20, 2007
we need more contribution plz
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 21, 2007
Hmm, experiences will differ, an interesting topic though.

I didn't get the chance to tell my parents, as they were late by the time I got married, bless them.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by almondjoy(f): 1:10am On Oct 22, 2007
Did not have to tell them--they told me I had to! tongue
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by presido1: 8:45pm On Oct 22, 2007
Have not married but looking forward to that, will like to get more post on this from the married once in da house.
Time is getting nearer for me by Gods grace.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Attention(f): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2007
pseg, ahhhh, its not funny, i think its the best way to do this especially if you may be shy, you just make it funny.

@ poster
What your parents are looking for is the confidence in you, your decision and your reasons.

Like i said, he wants to marry me and I LOVE HIM. It summarises it all. That means, i have considered all others and have chosen him as my best choice. If you dont emphasize the love, they would begin to ask further questions.

Also, i felt there was no need to disclose how long we have been dating, though they may have been seeing him around me, i had not told them earlier his intentions, they only knew him as my friend, so when he was ready, i just made everything OPENDENTIAL. smiley
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Sissy3(f): 8:30am On Aug 09, 2010
almondjoy:

Did not have to tell them--they told me I had to! tongue

Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Busybody2(f): 8:38am On Aug 09, 2010
Attention:

I told them:

Somebody would be coming to our house this evening, please look at him very well and access him if you want, when he leaves, i would tell you the purpose of his visit.

He came and left, I told them: He wants to marry me and I love him.

If i was the 'rents, i'd have said NO just for the fun of it and to watch your blood pressure go through the roof cheesy grin cheesy
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by invisible2(m): 8:46am On Aug 09, 2010
Am a straight guy and don't mince words, will look my mum in the eye and tell her, you're about to get a rival!
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by coalcoal1(m): 10:20am On Aug 09, 2010
attention! you got my attention there. that was a nice way to put it
well, tell us, are you married now?
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Pamperme: 10:30am On Aug 09, 2010
Opened my mum's bedroom door and while standing by the door, i said. "Mummy, we've decided to get married in October" and then walked out! She called an emergency family meeting 5mins after that with me as the agenda, tongue

1 Like

Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by jumie(f): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2010
Din"t have to tell my folks anything.

My folks knew him well before then, so when he came and told them his intentions, they were not surprised.

1 Like

Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by mafolayomi(f): 3:22pm On Aug 09, 2010
smiley smiley. mine was really funny, (though not yet married just d introduction) my parent are late, so, twas my elder bro. one day, i was just sweeping the sitting room , and he was sitting down there in the sitting room, i just paused and said, 'brother mi mo ma marry ni next year ' meaning, my bro, i will be getting married next year. com and see the anger in his eyes, he said is that how to say a thing like that, ehen go and marry now, better go and ask those that has done it how its bin done. it was just both of us @ home that day.so later i went to him and apologised, after some minutes he asked me d necessary questions like where his from, his religion etc. what happened after that is a story that is already here on nairaland, bin that he is Igbo and am Yoruba. but we sha thank God that all is well now.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2010
Just tell your mum, she can now break the news to her hubby, who will then call meeting for planning .
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by zayhal(f): 7:23pm On Aug 10, 2010
Dad's been pestering me to bring him home, so that Sunday morning, I just walked up to him and told him I was bringing home the person I intended marrying. He was beside himself with joy. he was so happy I pitied him.

Two hours later, my spouse was seated in the living room with my dad. It was mutual love at 1st site for both of them. It remained so till he (my dad) passed on.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by blank(f): 2:20am On Aug 11, 2010
It was easy cos my parents and his parents had known we were dating for a while.
I just told my parents that we want to do our introduction d next month, when will be convenient for them?
He had to do the traditional thing and go n meet his dad with a bottle of drink to tell him officially.
No big deal dere.
Re: How Did U Tell Ur Parents You Were Getting Married? by upc: 11:53am On Aug 12, 2010
Is a very good thing to hear by the parents. Just walk to them , express your feeling. Mummy and daddy a friend of my is coming to see you people concerning our relationship. But if they have seen him before and appreciate/like him then you tell them he is comming to declare his intension officially period.

(1) (Reply)

Burnt Out - Any Advice? / Good Creche On Lagos Island / Silly Reasons Why Some Ladies Can't Wash Plates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.