Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,222 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy (5785 Views)

Joey Barton Fined 6 Weeks Wages & Stripped Of Captaincy / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / John Terry Appointed Player-manager For England For Euro' 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by omo9ja1(m): 11:09am On Feb 03, 2012
The Football Association is set to remove the England captaincy from John Terry, the BBC has learned.

FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to board members and the majority view is Terry should be stood down. He would still be available for selection for the national team.

It would be the second time Terry, 31, has been stripped of the captaincy.

He is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.
Continue reading the main story

“The court case should have been dealt with immediately. As a result the FA have got themselves in an incredible tangle of him playing but not being captain”

Mark Perryman England supporters' club chief

The Chelsea defender has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Bernstein is expected to speak to England manager Fabio Capello about the issue on Friday. It is also understood that Bernstein is meeting Terry on Friday morning. An official announcement could be made before the weekend.

Capello has until now maintained the position that Terry is innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.

There is some nervousness among board members as to how the Italian will react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.

But there is now an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.
Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Terry in action at the 2010 World Cup (UK users only)

The FA has been forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championships.

For some time now Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.

Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.

Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers' Association to take a stronger stance on Terry.

This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to act.

Terry was previously stripped of the captaincy when Capello removed him from the role in February 2010  following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.

Terry was reinstated 13 months later with Capello saying "one year of punishment is enough".

Former FA chief executive Mark Palios questioned why the FA is set to change its stance on Terry, having kept him as captain since the allegations were first made in October.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "What the FA has to do is a balancing act between the rights of the individual and the wider game. I don't know how that will affect the dressing room and make it better than it was by keeping him in the squad but taking the captaincy off him."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9058850/John-Terry-stripped-of-England-captaincy-live.html
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 03, 2012
Does he have the right to do that? Thought is only the coach that have the right.
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by julioralph(m): 2:36pm On Feb 03, 2012
the FA should hand d armband over to ashley cole- i'm sure he'll be a great captain lol
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by omo9ja1(m): 2:36pm On Feb 03, 2012
JT is a nut he is mature experience enough to know right from wrong, no matter how the emotion of the game he should not have behave like that a senior player for that matter, well I don't pity him he deserve what he got more to come
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by omo9ja1(m): 2:40pm On Feb 03, 2012
julioralph (m)
lagos, naija

John terry
« #2 on: Today at 02:36:20 PM »

the FA should hand d armband over to ashley cole- i'm sure he'll be a great captain lol

when Lampard and Gerard till in active football,I don't think they will allow Cole to lead England Football
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by BBM: 2:42pm On Feb 03, 2012
Terry out. GERARD IN PERE
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 03, 2012
The british have always been known for their hipocrisy.
they should just come out and say they feel terry is guilty and as such should be stripped of the captaincy.
Why would u give out any form of punishment to someone untill he is proven guilty.

Bloody hipocrites. No wonder they never do well, despite their assumed big stars.
Advanced Nigeria.
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by dmainboss: 3:07pm On Feb 03, 2012
omo9ja1:

JT is a nut he is mature experience enough to know right from wrong, no matter how the emotion of the game he should not have behave like that a senior player for that matter, well I don't pity him he deserve what he got more to come

and what exactly has he done? He hasnt been convicted of anything. The last time they changed their captain, they were dump out of the world cup after playing crap football
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by HighChief4(m): 3:09pm On Feb 03, 2012
Lampard will be a better replacement
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Alamutuu: 3:22pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is nothing but conspiracy and "bad belle" hatched by Rio Ferdinard using his mediocre brother to get back @ John Terry.

I stand to be corrected but don't think there is any other team in England with players coming from diverse background like Chelsea even before the coming of big man Abramovic.

A team that once paraded the like of desailly, Milchot ,the stocky guy from cameroon (can't recall his name now), Johnson (now with Liverpool) and currently numerous black or "negroes" according to mischief makers - Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Essien, Ramires, Mikel Obi etc and none of these guys have even complained of suffering any racial abuse from Terry.

Rio Ferdinand is still feeling hurt that captaincy was given back to Terry and think he can use his waka pass brother to get back at Terry.

I only pity the English national team as this will only lead to another disastrous tournament.

For crying out loud why would Terry abused Antoinne Ferdinand? For what? Is he the only black player playing in the Epl or even the same QPR team that has the likes of Shaun Wright Phillips a former Blues.

Rio Ferdiand who was once banned for taken drug now want to tarnish the career of a great footballer.

I would rather advise Terry and his fellow Blues players to withdraw from the English team in solidarity with Terry until the end of the so called kangaroo trial in July and let see how far they can go in the coming euro hampioship.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A MERE SET UP BY AN ANGRY AND WICKED RIO FERDINAD UNABLE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT HE'S NOT COMPETENT TO BE THE THREE LION'S CAPTAIN.
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by sylve11: 3:29pm On Feb 03, 2012
Alamutuu:

This is nothing but conspiracy and "bad belle" hatched by Rio Ferdinard using his mediocre brother to get back @ John Terry.

I stand to be corrected but don't think there is any other team in England with players coming from diverse background like Chelsea even before the coming of big man Abramovic.

A team that once paraded the like of desailly, Milchot ,the stocky guy from cameroon (can't recall his name now), Johnson (now with Liverpool) and currently numerous black or "negroes" according to mischief makers - Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Essien, Ramires, Mikel Obi etc and none of these guys have even complained of suffering any racial abuse from Terry.

Rio Ferdinand is still feeling hurt that captaincy was given back to Terry and think he can use his waka pass brother to get back at Terry.

I only pity the English national team as this will only lead to another disastrous tournament.

For crying out loud why would Terry abused Antoinne Ferdinand? For what? Is he the only black player playing in the Epl or even the same QPR team that has the likes of Shaun Wright Phillips a former Blues.

Rio Ferdiand who was once banned for taken drug now want to tarnish the career of a great footballer.

I would rather advise Terry and his fellow Blues players to withdraw from the English team in solidarity with Terry until the end of the so called kangaroo trial in July and let see how far they can go in the coming euro hampioship.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A MERE SET UP BY AN ANGRY AND WICKED RIO FERDINAD UNABLE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT HE'S NOT COMPETENT TO BE THE THREE LION'S CAPTAIN.

it's obvious terry is a likiki and cursee & cursee. grin grin grin cool
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Ifemyke: 3:32pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is a delayed justice. Why Liverpool's Suarez case dispatched with ease?
Meanwhile Rio Ferdinand has ruled himself out for the captaincy.
Read all on www.footballfile.com
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by ochukoccna: 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2012
Geez another Einstein shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I just overheard the real Albert Einstein say 'how dumb can you be.
In what way does a Ferdinard who's on the national team bench influence the FA? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
SMH

Go watch the unedited clip and see Terry calling Anton a 'black fuc-king cun_t' embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

JT is currently a sack of Sh-iT
Over-hyped, Overrated sick f#@k cool cool cool cool
Forgive my swearing please wink wink wink wink wink
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by dayokanu(m): 3:41pm On Feb 03, 2012
Who would succeed him as captain
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by gendebs(m): 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
John terry u again
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 03, 2012
ochukoccna:

Geez another Einstein shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I just overheard the real Albert Einstein say 'how dumb can you be.
In what way does a Ferdinard who's on the national team bench influence the FA? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
SMH
Go watch the unedited clip and see Terry calling Anton a 'black fuc-king cun_t' embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

JT is currently a sack of Sh-iT
Over-hyped, Overrated sick f#@k cool cool cool cool
Forgive my swearing please wink wink wink wink wink
clip or not for as long as he has not been found guilty,you should keep your opinions to yourself,if he did what he is being accused of,get him out of chelsea ASAP but if not,the FA and fans should apologise to him based on the way he is being convicted with no trial
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by r231(m): 6:09pm On Feb 03, 2012
undecided
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by omo9ja1(m): 6:57pm On Feb 03, 2012
Alamutuu

Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy
« #9 on: Today at 03:22:30 PM »

Was Ferniland Rio playing for QPR? why will you think he was happy about what happen to Terry, In English football there is RaRacismnd need to be deal with TJ knows what he did is not acceptable, so don't compare SuSuarez'sase with TJ complete opposite side
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by MrGlobe(m): 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2012
Like I said before, the FA should proceed with immediate replacement. Fuc k terry racist scumbag. There is too much racism in england and for some idi ots here to be condoning it is stup!d
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Dvampire(m): 8:06pm On Feb 03, 2012
That is why the English squad will always be over hyped and play silly football in tournaments. Why delay the JT case till July? Then you turn around and strip him of the arm band? Was he found guilty? What investigations do they need more? Look, truth be told, JT is a world class defender and its obvious that England will suck without him. My feeling is that JT should just retire from the national team before the tournament because already, the english FA is creating tension among the player by stripping him off the captaincy and still making him available for team selection. What kind of dressing room atmosphere are they hoping to have?
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by ochukoccna: 8:21pm On Feb 03, 2012
milehigh06:

clip or not for as long as he has not been found guilty,you should keep your opinions to yourself,if he did what he is being accused of,get him out of chelsea ASAP but if not,the FA and fans should apologise to him based on the way he is being convicted with no trial

Luiz Suarez was convicted only on P Evra's testimony which wasn't caught on tape undecided undecided undecided
I'm tired of watching JT's calling calling Anton 'black fuc-king cun_t' on tape embarassed embarassed embarassed shocked shocked shocked
You should know the FA would not have acted if there's no compelling evidence JT would be nailed grin grin grin grin grin
Do tell the JT groupie club this tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
The FA are confused set of people JT is not guilty yet why strip of the captaincy he shld just retire frm international football
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by dayokanu(m): 9:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
Euro 2012 - England captaincy: Who's next?
Steven Gerrard
Strengths: He is the current vice-captain, so it would be logical for him to step up. Gerrard is still an automatic selection when fit, and is widely liked within the England squad. The Liverpool midfielder captains his club and is an experienced England skipper, having led the team at the 2010 World Cup.

Weaknesses: Led the team at the 2010 World Cup - how did that work out? Is a leader by deed rather than word, and struggled to make himself heard above stronger personalities (i.e. Terry) in South Africa. Is often injured, and rarely plays friendlies.

Frank Lampard

Strengths: A safe pair of hands, England's elder statesman Lampard deals superbly with the media - vital at such a sensitive time. Lampard has had a decade in the England team and is popular with the fans.

Weaknesses: How awkward would it be for Chelsea to replace Terry with his vice-captain at club level? Lampard is very much part of England's old guard, and would not be a progressive selection. His place in the team is starting to come into doubt.

Gareth Barry

Strengths: The former Villa captain is enjoying an excellent season with Manchester City. Apart from a disastrous World Cup when he was not fully fit, Barry has never let his country down. A calm head in turbulent times.

Weaknesses: Barry is not the most vocal character, and would struggle to deliver Terry's brand of blood-and-thunder leadership. The World Cup debacle means he is not the most popular man with the fans.

Scott Parker

Strengths: A popular selection among the fans - the Tottenham midfielder's name is buzzing across the internet. Parker is not associated with the failures of the past, and has emerged as a key player for England.

Weaknesses: Inexperienced in the role - he was not, as widely assumed, captain of West Ham last season. Though he has played superbly in the last year, he is not guaranteed to be in the team at Euro 2012.

Joe Hart

Strengths: The Manchester City man is enjoying an exceptional season, and has emerged as one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He is a certainty to play in Poland and Ukraine and, at 24, would be a forward-looking choice.

Weaknesses: England have struggled with goalkeepers, and having finally found a special player, why heap more pressure on him? Hart has never captained a club side and would be a huge gamble for Capello.

Ashley Cole

Strengths: Countries less obsessed with the captaincy than England toss the armband to the player with most caps. For England, that is Cole, with 93 (Lampard 90, Gerrard 89, Ferdinand 81, Rooney 73, Terry 72). Wonderfully consistent for the last decade.

Weaknesses: Let's face facts. However well Cole has played for England, he is hardly viewed as a national treasure. At a time when England need a player who stays out of the tabloid headlines, Cole would be a bizarre selection.

Wayne Rooney

Strengths: England's key attacking player, Rooney is guaranteed to start when fit and available. Would be a candidate for the armband if Capello took the approach of appointing his best player, as Sven-Goran Eriksson did with David Beckham.

Weaknesses: Misses the first two games of Euro 2012 through suspension. Rooney's hot temper continues to get him in trouble, and his would be an exceptionally high-profile appointment. He doesn't need the hassle.

OUT OF THE RUNNING: Rio Ferdinand

The former England skipper has said he does not want to be considered, tweeting: "I don't want to be England captain after the last episode, just want to concentrate on playing for United and if I make the squad then as ever I'll be delighted."
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by kizito96(m): 10:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
A big lesson for racists in sports
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by kawkab: 11:21pm On Feb 03, 2012
Part of the reason while England would fail in Euro 2012. The same script they played out at South Africa 2010
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by bigsean(m): 11:45pm On Feb 03, 2012
England and their :off the soccer field: drama?
its either terry is not in the team for the allegations or he's in and he captains them.
Who said the reason england hasn't won anything in their life (yes, including 1966) is because of the captaincy?
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by HighChief4(m): 11:50pm On Feb 03, 2012
Dvampire:

That is why the English squad will always be over hyped and play silly football in tournaments. Why delay the JT case till July? Then you turn around and strip him of the arm band? Was he found guilty? What investigations do they need more? Look, truth be told, JT is a world class defender and its obvious that England will suck without him. My feeling is that JT should just retire from the national team before the tournament because already, the english FA is creating tension among the player by stripping him off the captaincy and still making him available for team selection. What kind of dressing room atmosphere are they hoping to have?

Exactly my tots, JT should just retire from National football. I dont see why he was stripped off the captaincy cos he remains innocent until proven guilty
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by MrTA(m): 1:38pm On Feb 04, 2012
Alamutuu:

Congrats, this is one of the worst posts Ive ever read on these forums. Never seen a post that could be this long and 100% wrong .
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
So saying "black f ucking c u nt " is a racial abuse? I beg to differ!
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by switch47(m): 9:12am On Feb 06, 2012
John terry should be put in prison for life
Re: John Terry: Fa Set To Remove England Captaincy by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 06, 2012
^ switch you are suppose to be locked in a mental home forever

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Swansea City (0 - 2) - On 1st December 2012 / Arsenal Vs Stoke City (3 - 1) On 23rd October 2011 / Manchester City Vs Manchester United [0 - 1] On Saturday, 17th April 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.