Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? (4681 Views)

Yuletide: FG Declares Dec. 24, 25, 28 Public Holidays / FG Declares April 3, 6 Public Holidays For Easter / FG Declares 3-day Public Holidays To Mark Christmas, New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by Koolking(m): 11:21am On Feb 05, 2012
There is no holiday in nigeria compared to the chinese, taiwanese and japanese republics. Chinese just observed the year of dragon that lasted more than 7 days (chained). As an industrial country, it is interesting to note that virtually all industries were closed during this holiday. They also have the year of rabbit, the dragon boat festival and so many others that are culturally-based. As import-based or consumption-based economy, Nigeria can afford to go on holidays (usually 1 - 2 days) distributed b/w Christians and Moslems except few on national matters.

there is no big deal on our national holidays. They are relieves to Nigerians who work round the clock at the expense of their family, and at the end receives stipends as benefit for his service. I wish more could be added to the already insufficient holidays
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by Mazeepac(m): 1:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
How long will you lie there, you sluggard?

When will you get up from your sleep?

A little sleep, a little slumber,

a little folding of the hands to rest—

and poverty will come on you like a bandit

and scarcity like an armed man.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by tlops(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2012
usbcable:

@OP
you can go work for a ''chinko'' or indian company if you so detaste the holidays.

holiday is coming
holiday is coming

good bye teachers(employers)
good bye parents(co-employees)
now am going to spend my jolly hoooooolidaay
grin

Don't mind them. I wish I had the holiday tmrw too. I for Jolly dey go.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by tlops(m): 1:35pm On Feb 05, 2012
Mazeepac:

How long will you lie there, you sluggard?

When will you get up from your sleep?

A little sleep, a little slumber,

a little folding of the hands to rest—

and poverty will come on you like a bandit

and scarcity like an armed man.

^^^ Morale? Instead of you doing something meaningful You are here quoting a little sleep. mind you, 'sleep' here is anything you do instead of being 'productive'. which include typing on this forum, while you could have been planning on how to be better at your job.

The lord gives his beloved sleep, and when you sleep it shall be sweet.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by rezzy: 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2012
I enjoy public holidays because i teach.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by jamace(m): 4:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
In UK, this year, they're going to have 9 days off, with 1 day for the queen's golden jubilee. In Scotland, it's 10 days.

In USA, there are 10 days declareIn most countries, when a public holiday falls on a weekend, the holiday is shifted to the next working day. This is not unique to Nigeria at all.
d by the Fed govt (although states tend to differ a bit).

Brazil has about 14 days of public holidays this year.

Botswana (which has one of the best economies in Africa) has 12 days, as does South Africa.

Germany has roughly 10 days (depends on which state you're in).

Malaysia: 14 days (or more, depending on the state you live in).

And these are the countries that we tend to associate with working hard:

China: 11 days.
Japan: 14 days.
India: 14 days (more than 14 in some states)

Countries which have several major religions have to observe the holidays for all the religions, so tend to have more holidays.

Productivity is not really reduced by public holidays. What do you say about countries in Europe, where paid leave is generally long and paid maternity/paternity leave is long. And what will you say about France and their 35 hour work week.

See the countries that you are comparing Nigeria with. Is it not a shame that Nigeria's economy is no where near any of the countries you compared her with?
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by Kellymann: 5:06pm On Feb 05, 2012
jamace:

See the countries that you are comparing Nigeria with. Is it not a shame that Nigeria's economy is no where near any of the countries you compared her with?

And who says the advancement in their economy as compared to Nigeria has anything to do with the number of days they have as public holidays.

I really see no need for this kind of thread except that the OP is trying to show how much of a bigot he is or looking for cheap popularity in starting a thread which he feels is controversial.

It is a widely accepted fact that employers of labour will always detest holidays & employees are always prone to always happy with holidays.

It is a public holiday declared by the govt. Whether or not is too much is an issue for the machinery of govt to work out & it sounds funny to M̶̲̅ε̲̣ that a country will want to waste time & resources on debating whether declaring a day as a public holiday is right or wrong.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by kizito96(m): 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2012
They are statutory, and cannot be changed
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by Stealthy(m): 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2012
Kellymann:

And who says the advancement in their economy as compared to Nigeria has anything to do with the number of days they have as public holidays.

I really see no need for this kind of thread except that the OP is trying to show how much of a bigot he is or looking for cheap popularity in starting a thread which he feels is controversial.

It is a widely accepted fact that employers of labour will always detest holidays & employees are always prone to always happy with holidays.

It is a public holiday declared by the govt. Whether or not is too much is an issue for the machinery of govt to work out & it sounds funny to M̶̲̅ε̲̣ that a country will want to waste time & resources on debating whether declaring a day as a public holiday is right or wrong.

My point exactly. That's why I put so many countries there. I was just trying to show that advancement/productivity is not reduced by the no of public holidays we have, since we're quite normal. The Chinese & Japanese have more holidays and are still more advanced. UK & US have slightly fewer than we do, they're still more advanced. In short, development/advancement has little to do with the no of public holidays as some people were starting to insinuate.
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by nwaneri(m): 8:54pm On Feb 05, 2012
Stupid post!
I wonder why it made it to the front.
How is this the problem of Nigeria. You do not know that Nigeria is delicately poised btw Islam and Christianity. Its either you dont celebrate a public hols or u have for both religions. Even new yr is considered Christian hols!
Abeg, make una quit this argument!
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by sniperwolf(m): 10:10pm On Feb 05, 2012
Me I tire. Most especially those Islamic shiitts called holiday
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by sniperwolf(m): 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
Re: Do We Really Need All These Numerous Public Holidays ? by Kellymann: 4:35am On Feb 06, 2012
sniperwolf:

another bigot. one of niigeria's problem really *smh

(1) (2) (Reply)

Remembering History: Biafra And The Niger Delta / Ekiti Seeks Afdb’s Support For Ado – Akure Road Construction, Agric Processing / President Obasanjo Met With Leaders Of PDP And ZLP Today In Abeokuta(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.