Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! (8695 Views)

Youwin! Winners Result Finally Released / Comprehensive List Of Youwin Awardees. Check Your Name Now! / List Of Youwin Winners Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Paultue: 9:28pm On Mar 21, 2012
I am a beneficiary of the YouWin Progrm. I dont agree fully with the writer, but it will really give other winners a guide on how to face the challenges in their businesses whether existing or new business. thanks for the advice!!!
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by obowunmi(m): 9:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
^^^^^^^Do you know of any women winners? I would love to speak with them.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Mar 21, 2012
Paultue: I am a beneficiary of the YouWin Progrm. I dont agree fully with the writer, but it will really give other winners a guide on how to face the challenges in their businesses whether existing or new business. thanks for the advice!!!

Do mind giving us updates like when you actually get paid, how much and stuff like that?
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by maclatunji: 9:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Do mind giving us updates like when you actually get paid, how much and stuff like that?

What would you want to do with that? Have you not heard of company secrets?
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by damola1: 11:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
i agree with the writer 100%
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by KINGwax(m): 11:25pm On Mar 21, 2012
damola1: i agree with the writer 100%
put 'failure' as your middle name. U negative-oriented beings. What ever happened to success? Okay, not your portion abi?
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by obowunmi(m): 11:26pm On Mar 21, 2012
KINGwax: put 'failure' as your middle name. U negative-oriented beings. What ever happened to success? Okay, not your portion abi?

Must you abuse people everywhere you go? Get a life maan.... Don't get a heart ache. people are entitled to their opinions.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by sholatech(m): 12:04am On Mar 22, 2012
Youwin is not all about money.
Most of the issues raised by the poster are incorporated into the Youwin Model.

After the initial idea selection scrutiny, those selected were given COMPULSORY week-long MBAlike training.

Only those that attended the training on Business Skills relevant to Nigeria were considered for the final grant. Those with good ideas but did not attend the training were not considered. All training attendance are backed-up by Biometric data capture.

Also, eventual winners will be attached to Mentors in their line of business and grants given gradually based on deliverables acheived.

The worldwide acclaimed Worldbank Business Tookit was also given to all the 6000 trainees.

With the above on my mind, I know that the project team have considered most issues raised by the poster.

The angel investors and seed-capital providers at Silicon Valley and Wharton Business School also follow these steps.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by dondahdah: 1:45am On Mar 22, 2012
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Unitedabby(m): 2:04am On Mar 22, 2012
Well Mr. Poster,in as much as i agree with your stats. on failed small businesses,i must say that the entire content of your post seems negative as well as lacks motivation considering the large number of business starters that have emerged courtesy YOUWIN.the real bane of small businesses in Nigeria and the world over has to do with the lack of strict adherence to SUCCESS LAWS.the governing law is called the LAW OF CAUSALITY otherwise known as law of cause and effect.it simply means that nothing just happens.i.e for any effect,there was a cause. e.g. Bill Gates that we all know today as world number 2 on forbes billionaire list didnt just get there overnight.same with our own Dangote etc.Every small business starter/owner can also register a 100% success only if they can understudy those that are there already and apply their steps/principles.for example,i own an existing agribusiness thats 10yrs old.i started by raising only 50chicks at my backyard then but to the glory of God,it has grown into a coy Ltd by shares today.this wouldnt have been possible not for God and practice of those laws.i thank God for the impact the YOUWIN grant is going to make on my coy as i've vowed and plan to create about 140 direct and 1000 indirect jobs respectively in the next 1yr.i therefore urge fellow winners especialy beginners to be focussed,determined,disciplined,allow no room for failure & of course be prayerful and you'll definately get there.NB:read 100 absolutely unbreakable laws of success by Brian Tracy.it'll inspire you to attaining your altitude.all the best!
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by soloqy: 9:16am On Mar 22, 2012
life_style:

Computer and Network support.

www.haymostech.com www.hitk.com.ng

I sure hope its not these websites that you presented to them as your company websites?

That may be a pointer as to why they rejected your application.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by buJu234: 9:23am On Mar 22, 2012
but Considering the cost of running a business in Lagos i.e Rent,Transportion, Electricity/Generator bills, LG bills, Abero Bills, Double taxation and salaries[s][/s]

@op;

this where many small & medium scale business owners are failing in this part of the world.

Have u ever being to China; u will find that one of the competitive stuff; they have is that they move most
of their factories to the rural communities.
if u re into manufacturing; plz move out to those nearby Lagos sub; like those in Ogun state very close to Lagos.

if u re into services; plz try and operate without sign boards (afterall online sign board is better);
most ur office look like MTN`s office; try to create a virtual office.

with these u will reduce ur cost of doing business in Lagos more than 20%.

it was a friend that gave me these secrets and it has been wking well for me...

in my friend`s case local govt. state govt. & fed. taxes plus street boys who want to do carnival every 3mths; almost reck his biz.

but now he is doing fine.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by lifestyle1(m): 9:43am On Mar 22, 2012
@ sology, NO I did not present a website in my plan, I submitted a new business plan proposal not an existing business.

And what's wrong with the web-site ? and what about those that don't even have a domain name ? undecided FYI, I designed the website my self with any formal training on web designing.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by lifestyle1(m): 9:45am On Mar 22, 2012
buJu-234:
but Considering the cost of running a business in Lagos i.e Rent,Transportion, Electricity/Generator bills, LG bills, Abero Bills, Double taxation and salaries[s][/s]

@op;

this where many small & medium scale business owners are failing in this part of the world.

Have u ever being to China; u will find that one of the competitive stuff; they have is that they move most
of their factories to the rural communities.
if u re into manufacturing; plz move out to those nearby Lagos sub; like those in Ogun state very close to Lagos.

if u re into services; plz try and operate without sign boards (afterall online sign board is better);
most ur office look like MTN`s office; try to create a virtual office.

with these u will reduce ur cost of doing business in Lagos more than 20%.

it was a friend that gave me these secrets and it has been wking well for me...

in my friend`s case local govt. state govt. & fed. taxes plus street boys who want to do carnival every 3mths; almost reck his biz.

but now he is doing fine.

Noted!
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Ejiekwu1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2012
@poster, you have done well in trying to sensitive the successful onces good work. The ball is now in their court, its left for them to follow your advices and make sure they are among the successful once on the day of reckoning. For those who are :Pcastigating the poster should go to hell. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Iolo(m): 1:56pm On Mar 22, 2012
life_style:

meaning ? undecided

Meaning its like your uncle or aunty giving you additional capital to expand/commence business.

This is how businesses grow, this is how Dangote started and so many others.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by oradee: 3:25pm On Mar 22, 2012
mercenaryx:

Some folks can get discouraged by this and that can cause some damage....

if they get discouraged,they shld refund the money o...this isnt lottery!!
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by delta12(m): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2012
@ Poster, U said u requested for 4million and that you'd employ 5 people, and your "good" proposal was turned down. If u ask me, I think u should review your proposal especially your financials (as this is the main key in the business plan - If not the Business Plan itself). I was consulted to prepare the Financials of business plan by a client (who was in this same YOUWIN project, seeking a grant of N4.5m. Based on my analysis of his business, i told him that the amount would not be enough and Proposed N6.69M. The Results were out, and he was part of the lucky 1,200 winners.

The Point I'd like to raise is that my plan was for 7staff (just 2 higher than yours); yet he was selected.

Going Forward, you should seek the help of an expert in preparing your business plan, as a business plan is not about your ideas, but how you put your ideas together.

NB: When I gave him the plan, I was so sure for him,as he was not my first client to achieve his demands through a business plan.

You can Contact me on 08185778619, with your business plan details, so I'd help pinpoint where the mistake was from and advice further.

Delta 1
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by denny4ril: 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2012
b4 u start a business, u need what is call BUSINESS CASE. It is the information that justifies starting, continuing and termination of a business. it helps to have a plan so as to avoid total loss.
from experience, most business do not have business case and those that do abandon it along the line.
that is y most fail at business
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by kingsolve(m): 4:35am On Mar 23, 2012
Why criticize this guy so much. It's just something he noticed so people could be aware. Except if u read d topic alone without reading his entire post. He's just giving us something to watch out for and succeed at the end. Thanks poster, it's noted already.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by mikey00my(m): 7:07am On Mar 23, 2012
obowunmi: The mere fact a business will fail is NO reason NOT to start a business.

gbam
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by flymetrix: 9:18am On Mar 24, 2012
Hodaya: I think the poster is a bit negative and bitter at been turned down.

I run a small business myself with a board of directors of 5 and hold 65% of total shares and i know for sure that finance isn't necessarily equivalent to success. Without doubt, the YOUWIN project won't succeed because the vision behind it is limited. In developed countries there are Incubators that help nuture your idea prior to seeking further investment if viable. YOUWIN should rather focus on platforms to support and encourage the establishment of numerous Incubators across the entire country and not directly investing in ideas. By doing this, we will have numerous Incubators which breeds competition and most of all more ideas will have finance, experience, knowledge and passion invested in them.

If i may ask the board members at YOUWIN are paid salaries (national cake), people would gladly do this freely which will free up more funds to establish a system that can last centuries.

Just my thinking, feel free to criticize.

Good point. We need more than just Youwin to grow small businesses in Naija
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by uchenna2012: 12:48am On Mar 26, 2012
I think this writer is bittered for not winning...All what he writes is not a new thing even to secondary school Nigerian!
A business plan is based on proofing your point statistically, for example if you request for 1 million and u ar unable to prove how you are going to break even in ur cost analysis,projected income,profit and loss Ac and sm1 presented a business plan of 7millions and was able to prove it he is gonna win. So,I believe you shhould go back to the drawing board and look at where you got it wrong. if you continue with this pessimistic view of usiness in naija, you are not gonna make it any biz u engaged urself.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by lifestyle1(m): 12:40am On Mar 28, 2012
uchenna2012: I think this writer is bittered for not winning...All what he writes is not a new thing even to secondary school Nigerian!
A business plan is based on proofing your point statistically, for example if you request for 1 million and u ar unable to prove how you are going to break even in ur cost analysis,projected income,profit and loss Ac and sm1 presented a business plan of 7millions and was able to prove it he is gonna win. So,I believe you shhould go back to the drawing board and look at where you got it wrong. if you continue with this pessimistic view of usiness in naija, you are not gonna make it any biz u engaged urself.

Is that so ?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Deji35: 9:11pm On Apr 05, 2012
My wife got the mail below after previously being selected as a potential awardee. Anyone with same?

Dear __,

You are hereby invited to attend the Presidential Award Ceremony for the Youth Enterprise With Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN!) Programme scheduled to take place as follows:

Date: Thursday April 12, 2012
Venue: Banquet Hall, State House, Abuja
Time: 8:00 a.m

This email serves as an invitation letter, should you decide to attend the ceremony. Please note that attendance at the ceremony is not mandatory. However, we will use the opportunity to complete the pre-disbursement validation process for those who are able to attend. To this end, please bring the following original documents with you if you decide to attend:

A. All provisional awardees should come with the following:

i. Government approved Identification that includes a picture, full names and date of birth (e.g., passport, driver’s license, national ID).

ii. Birth certificate or sworn affidavit of age.

B. Existing business owners should bring the following in addition to group A above:

i. CAC Registration documents if you already have them.

ii. Evidence of cash flow from the existing company, such as:

a. Corporate bank statements (within the last 3 months) showing inflow from customers.

b. Receipts and/or invoices for customers.

c. Purchase Orders from customers.

d. Evidence of salary payments to existing staff.

e. Applicable business permits, etc.

Kindly respond to confirm your attendance with a “Yes, I will attend”, or a ‘No, I am unable to attend” in the subject line of your email. Please send responses to admin@youwin.org.ng by close of business on Tuesday April 10, 2012.

N.B: Please note that this email is sent without prejudice to the prerogative of the Federal Government of Nigeria to withdraw, terminate or modify the YouWiN Program at any time without notice to you.

YouWiN! Programme Secretariat
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by uchenna2012: 9:18pm On Apr 05, 2012
yes..it is tru.a lot of us have received it.
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by Paultue: 9:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
I am sure those that will get or got the invitation email for the presidential banquet are the ones within the best 300 awardee. so rejoice if you got the email. just thinking though....
Re: Reasons Why 80% Of YouWin Winners May Fail! by dondahdah: 12:35am On Apr 07, 2012
@poster.. just a school of thought...i think its not okay to quote in your wife's full name in your post...just my thought...we all need to be security conscious.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Small Businesses Fail From Inception? / Your Passive Income Goals + Making Money Online / CBN Suspends COVID-Linked Loan Relief And Raises Interest Rates To 9%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.