Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140274 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Abigalbee98(f): 10:37pm On Sep 27, 2015
Kudos to d gurus in da ous......my quest i::::::
(1)is it compusory to liv in campus for under-g student......(2) can i work in my second year or semester if d school dnt allow freshman to work in first year....
(3)can i liv off school campus afta my first year....will b glad if any1 can reply to my msg
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Denvan: 4:36am On Sep 28, 2015
Abigalbee98:
Kudos to d gurus in da ous......my quest i::::::
(1)is it compusory to liv in campus for under-g student......(2) can i work in my second year or semester if d school dnt allow freshman to work in first year....
(3)can i liv off school campus afta my first year....will b glad if any1 can reply to my msg
My answers...
(1) It is not compulsory.
(2) I dnt knw of any sch where there are restrictns to freshman work, so if ur sch is restricting freshmen, u may have to contact sbd in ur sch dat is not a freshman.
(3) If it is not compulsory as a freshman, then u can live off campus at any time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Abigalbee98(f): 12:30pm On Sep 28, 2015
Lot of tanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bayocanny: 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
exxy:

yes
it is possible unless the applicant requested for “prospective student endorsement” when he was applying for the visiting visa but if he doesn't request for it, the chance of changing visiting visa to F1 is very slim
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by streetMic(m): 7:18am On Nov 11, 2015
NY might not work for you but visit more of walmart and do less of the international groceries!

Aulor:

I'll also like to know how u can manage $40 for 2-4 weeks. I'm in NY for my masters.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 18, 2015
hello all ,
please who knows Concordia university Chicago ?
I am a graduate applicant to that school, please I want to know more as per scholarships , living expenses, rent, food, transportation, on campus jobs, safety etc thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2015
prayerrain:
hello all ,
please who knows Concordia university Chicago ?
I am a graduate applicant to that school, please I want to know more as per scholarships , living expenses, rent, food, transportation, on campus jobs, safety etc thanks
Go and search for a better school and leave all these online schools or agent prone schools. Use google, thousands of better schools in US

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 19, 2015
bayocanny:

it is possible unless the applicant requested for “prospective student endorsement” when he was applying for the visiting visa but if he doesn't request for it, the chance of changing visiting visa to F1 is very slim
Thats not entirely true. I;'ve got like 5 friends who came with B1/B2 conference and they are all back to school. USCIS don't just deny applications like you guys paint it here, even re-instatement.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Goldenboy007(m): 8:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
slimmy05:
Thats not entirely true. I;'ve got like 5 friends who came with B1/B2 conference and they are all back to school. USCIS don't just deny applications like you guys paint it here, even re-instatement.

And who do you think will employ you with a Concordia certificate? It's like going to DeVry. ..it's a waste of rsources. Go in Google and search for US ranked schools. It doesn't have to be Ivy League but just ensure they are ranked. Cos your life after your degree will depend on it. Trust me I know.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Miami11: 11:35pm On Nov 19, 2015
slimmy05:
my sister got denied with a b1/b2
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 12:16am On Nov 20, 2015
Miami11:
my sister got denied with a b1/b2
why, when did she enter and when did she apply. There are techniques to use to clear off sudden change of intention

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 20, 2015
Goldenboy007:

And who do you think will employ you with a Concordia certificate? It's like going to DeVry. ..it's a waste of rsources. Go in Google and search for US ranked schools. It doesn't have to be Ivy League but just ensure they are ranked. Cos your life after your degree will depend on it. Trust me I know.
Oga, you're quoting the wrong person
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Miami11: 2:17am On Nov 20, 2015
slimmy05:
why, when did she enter and when did she apply. There are techniques to use to clear off sudden change of intention
She arrived last year in January, I think we applied school in April and Texas INS denied the application. Very sad because she cannot work.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 2:20am On Nov 20, 2015
Miami11:

She arrived last year in January, I think we applied school in April and Texas INS denied the application. Very sad because she cannot work.
She over-stayed her visit. She was stamped in 6 months
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bayocanny: 2:54am On Nov 20, 2015
slimmy05:
Actually boss that was what happen to a close friend of mine sometimes ago, he travel to US with B1/B2 visa but unfortunately he wasn't allow to enroll into school.....that's the reason why I came up with such an ideology

Kindly shed more light to it boss
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:23am On Nov 20, 2015
bayocanny:

Actually boss that was what happen to a close friend of mine sometimes ago, he travel to US with B1/B2 visa but unfortunately he wasn't allow to enroll into school.....that's the reason why I came up with such an ideology

Kindly shed more light to it boss
You have to play the game without suspicion. Some would overstay their 6months stamp before they apply. Usually, when you enter Texas, try and apply to school in another state. Atleast, stay for 4 months before applying.

4 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Miami11: 6:57am On Nov 20, 2015
slimmy05:
She over-stayed her visit. She was stamped in 6 months
So what do you think she should have done
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kaykad: 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
Dear Nairalanders,

will be staying in the US for a week and i need to be connected, which pay can i get please.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2015
Goldenboy007:

thanks for your concern bro, I actually would like transfer to another school after the first semester .. what do you think?
I really don't plan completing the degree there.
nevertheless Im going for a teacher education course and a site site called best education school ranked them 17th in USA and second best in the region. what do you think?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2015
slimmy05:
Go and search for a better school and leave all these online schools or agent prone schools. Use google, thousands of better schools in US

hi bro thanks for your advice, actually the course I put in for is an education course and its going to be on campus.
I don search for schools tire. I'm going for educational technology what do you think?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2015
prayerrain:

hi bro thanks for your advice, actually the course I put in for is an education course and its going to be on campus.
I don search for schools tire. I'm going for educational technology what do you think?

prayerrain:

thanks for your concern bro, I actually would like transfer to another school after the first semester .. what do you think?
I really don't plan completing the degree there.
nevertheless Im going for a teacher education course and a site site called best education school ranked them 17th in USA and second best in the region. what do you think?

You are very likely wasting your money applying for this type of school. (Do you have money to throw away?)
Most normal people apply to a good university to get a visa then transfer to cheapo school.
You seem to want to start with cheap school?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Denvan: 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2015
Hi everyone and compliment of the season. Thank God the semester is over so I can add a bit of information/experience here. B4 I came here, I used to be angry when I read that u will be question at the poe if u arrive latter than the date school resumes, even if its a day or a week; that one could be deprived of visa because of this also. By my experience in Nigeria, lectures dnt start sometimes 2-3weeks into a semester. Sometimes we call friends frm home to confirm things b4 we resume. To my dismay, it is not so here. B4 d semester commences, there is already a schedule of classes, who and who is to take any course, course registration etc. Infact I hv the calender of schedules for my school up to 2018. First week of lectures and u already have loads of assignment; 3-4 weeks into a semester, u hv midterm exams. Infact, ur final exam may just b 30-40% of your total score for the semester. There is no time to catch up or u knw, wait till end of semester, jack ursef like mad and still pass and rack-up good grades. So if u dnt start the semester frm the first day, u may be in for a shocker.

For me, it was double if not multiple stress, cause I virtually knw NOBODY wen I arrived. I had to get accomodation, furnish it and settle in b4 the semester commences. So if u are coming in the spring, or whenever, come in time, settle quickly and begin with others. Dnt stretch the yuletide to 15th, 20th etc of January and start rushing things. (NOTE: Am not saying u shld come 5months b4 school resumes or flaunt the 30days rule or whatever).

To all genuine visa hopefuls, favour will smile at you and you will get ur visa.

Merry Christmas.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ttmacoy: 4:15pm On Dec 23, 2015
Good advice. I was able to say same thing.

slimmy05:
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 11:39am On Jan 11, 2016
ekwah:
   well for me I learnt through the hard way. I am a college Freshman and have no relatives here in the US apart from the ones at home (Naija). I got a mouth-watering scholarship from my school but did not manage it well. First, I got a single which was $350 above my school's calculated average for housing (didn't know before hand that it was that expensive) and did not complete all the pre-departure medical requirements from home ( I paid dearly for this mistake!). I had to get a loan sad to pay off the total extra charges that accrued. My scholarship also covers the costs of feeding during the semester, but I work (15-18hrs) every week to raise enough money to cover the cost of books (not covered by the scholarship) and also help my family back home ( I be/was (a)  kpako guy cheesy).
    Now, I have moved to a triple to drastically cut the housing cost. I  just opted out of my school's meal plan (very expensive angry ) since I can cook. I still use a laptop loaned from my school since I can't buy one yet. No hipster lifestyle for me o, every kobo sorry I mean cents grin means a lot to me. I basically starved as I didn't plan well for the winter break, but got help from fellow Nigerians  cool here.  I am doing pretty good now, my semester begins tomorrow and ends in May. I am kinda happy because I will get enough change from the scholarship and do hope to get a laptop from that. I also have to begin saving in prep for summer housing since I can't go home. I just love the fact that I am struggling to survive here on my own. Getting  to this place and managing well has not been easy, but I will say aluta continua!! cool cool

Please what is pre departure medical requirements

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 1:43pm On Jan 11, 2016
strict:
pls everyone, i am the luckiest, my story start like this, i got my visa approved on the 12th of jan which was my appointment date and it was a day before the deadline on my i-20, now i managed to get to the us feb 10 but my visa was issue 18th of january,

the big problem now is i want to defer my course till may which means i will fall out of status, so i can work illegally cos i have a cousin that can give me his pali to work, abeg i dey open here, now that i am here, can u tell me what do do in terms of re-instatement, my school is a community college in texas and cheap tho i just need advice help. since i am already here, i want to study but i came from a very poor family,
Did you get extension letter from your school? Didn't you have issues at POE since school has already resumed on your arrival to the US. I seem to be in the same issue with you.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2016
MrMann1:

Did you get extension letter from your school? Didn't you have issues at POE since school has already resumed on your arrival to the US. I seem to be in the same issue with you.

Not much point picking this up!
This was in 2012 ! shocked shocked shocked
and the original poster has not been on line since 2013 ! ! ! angry angry
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 2:56pm On Jan 11, 2016
worry359:

Not much point picking this up!
This was in 2012 ! shocked shocked shocked
and the original poster has not been on line since 2013 ! ! ! angry angry
Lol. do you have ideas?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by unclev: 11:53am On Jan 23, 2016
Hi everyone?

Can the bosses in the house please enlighten my on how i can go about applying for graduate assistant-ship positions?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
unclev:
Hi everyone?

Can the bosses in the house please enlighten my on how i can go about applying for graduate assistant-ship positions?

Most schools consider you for financial aid (including GAs) when you submit your application for admission. You usually don't have to submit a separate application for financial aid consideration. I'm not one of the bosses o.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rydow(m): 12:22am On Jan 29, 2016
Hello Boss and Bosses on NL.

Please I just completed my HND programme in Mechanical Engineering awaiting my call up letter in February 2016.

I have been admitted to study as an undergraduate in University of Nebraska Lincoln. (BSC).

Though I Av not been issued a visa yet but before I start processing visa I want to know I I can actually survive because I am an hustler and I know there is no greener pasture anywhere than how far u can hustle to make one for urself.

With the fear of deportation or whatever? Can someone enlighten me on how I can best survive.

Will I just walk up to the sch and do necessary registration and start payment of sch fee on an instalmental basis or search for schorlarship bla bla bla.

Please I want someone in the system to enlighten me on how this is done.

Can my work pay my sch fee in Lincoln.

Will I get. A good job that can cover my expenses on a small scale sucesfully?.

Please Help me.

Someone said if I get there. I will just marry Oyinbo and become a citizen. I wanna ask..

Is Marrying an Oyinbo that cheap?. So I am not even thinking of that at all. I want to Av my certificate legally.

Please help me sirs/ma
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rydow(m): 10:02am On Jan 29, 2016
-Paying rent - I believe its better to get an apt outside campus. Especially for those who dont have family here, it means you have a place to live when school is out of session. You can either get a cheap studio or get a room mate to lower the burden of the cost. Always and i say ALWAYS get an apt with all utilities included in the rent for your first year until you know how water, gas, electric bills work. Especially in winter, your gas bill could be very high if you dont know how to be judicious with heating your apt.

-Doing assignments/Research and thesis - frankly this is on you. No one can tell you how to read.

-Reading plans - again if you need someone to tell you how to read then you should not be in school.

-Getting a phone line and cheaper plan - For your first year, get a prepaid phone. When you are sure you know how much you typically have in finances a month then you can go for a contract phone. Tmobile was cheaper for me when i first came. Verizon and AT&T are too expensive for students unless your papa hold pepper! If you have family here, ask them what provider they use and see if you can use the same - that way your frequent calls are free.
You do not need a smart phone as a student! Save your money! NEVER use your phone to call international - its very expensive so use phone cards (penny talk is a good one).

-Getting scholarships - You should arrange that BEFORE you start school so you are not left hanging with bills you did not anticipate
-Graduate/resident assistantships - As a grad student in the biological sciences, this is a given. I suggest you try PhD programs, its free for the bio sciences. your mentor's grant pays for this. Arranging assistantships with your dept should be easy.

-Owing a used car (if necessary), Getting a bus pass - Dont buy a car for your first yr or 2. the fees add up very quickly. Since you have never driven in the US before, your insurance will be high too, you also need time to get used to the traffic rules. you dont want to rack up traffic tickets so fast.  grin
If you must own a car, it will depend on how much money you have. If you know you can depend on a constant stream of financial support from your parents then buy a new car (keep your car note payments below $200/month if you can) - that way you can start building credit. If you dont have much then go for a used car - best bet is to get one from an auction direct if you can get a dealer to help you with that.

With regard to bus passes, i usually skip those as i cant guarantee i will use most of it anyway. Most schools should have free buses for students. find out.

-Getting a licence - bring your naija license with you to the DMV when you apply. That way you can avoid having to go through the annoying road testing to get a license in most states. NEVER EVER drive without a valid US license, at worst have your naija license with you and show this to the cop if you are stopped. find out if your state honors foreign licenses though.

-Getting a State ID - this should be the first thing you do! Just go to the DMV and give them the requested documents. U should be able to get a temporary one in a few hours.

-Making the right friends. - depends on you.

-Getting a job on campus/off campus - its not a good idea to depend on this for the bulk of your finances. to get a job you will need a valid SSN and can only work after your first yr for no more than 20hrs/week

Hello Boss and Bosses on NL.

Please I just completed my HND programme in Mechanical Engineering awaiting my call up letter in February 2016.

I have been admitted to study as an undergraduate in University of Nebraska Lincoln. (BSC).

Though I Av not been issued a visa yet but before I start processing visa I want to know I I can actually survive because I am an hustler and I know there is no greener pasture anywhere than how far u can hustle to make one for urself.

With the fear of deportation or whatever? Can someone enlighten me on how I can best survive.

Will I just walk up to the sch and do necessary registration and start payment of sch fee on an instalmental basis or search for schorlarship bla bla bla.

Please I want someone in the system to enlighten me on how this is done.

Can my work pay my sch fee in Lincoln.

Will I get. A good job that can cover my expenses on a small scale sucesfully?.

Please Help me.

Someone said if I get there. I will just marry Oyinbo and become a citizen. I wanna ask..

Is Marrying an Oyinbo that cheap?. So I am not even thinking of that at all. I want to Av my certificate legally.

Please help me sirs/ma

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.