Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Nokia Oh Nokia - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Oh Nokia (1649 Views)

See What Mtn Gave Me! Oh How I Wish... / Help Me Oh! 2go Aint Working On My C6-00 / Oh! Mtn Has Blocked All Opera Mini Servers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia Oh Nokia by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:21am On Feb 07, 2012
How many N9 's did Nokia sell, and how many
Lumias did Nokia sell? It's an interesting thing
to ponder, because estimates by Tomi T.
Ahonen seem to indicate that, despite decidedly
undermarketing the thing, the N9 faired
considerably better in the marketplace than the
Lumia did .

Like I said, Nokia is one of those companies
which doesn't hand out clear shipping or sales
figures (like Apple does with its shipping
figures). However, Ahonen's estimates seem to
be based on some relatively sound reasoning,
and even if he's off by large margins, it still
ain't looking good for Nokia.

The first funny bit is that Windows Mobile (you
know, the old and versatile girl) still appears to
be faring much better than Windows Phone 7.
About 890000 devices running Windows Mobile
were sold in the US last quarter (according to
Nielssen's figures on Q4 ), compared to 520000
devices running Windows Phone 7. This is most
likely largely a corporate thing, but still - it's
pretty impressive.

Anywho, according to Ahonen's math and
estimates, Nokia sold 600000 Lumia's last
quarter (Q4 ). Nokia's biggest and most
important product launch in history, and it only
sold 600000 of them. That's not good. The
Nokia N9 , which saw a far smaller product
launch than the Lumia (no TV advertisements,
no Microsoft-sponsored marketing campaign,
only launched in small and/or less wealthy
countries), saw between 1. 5 and 2. 0 million
sales in Q4.

Again - these are estimates, so be on your
toes. However, they're so wide apart that all
parties have to be off by wide margines before
this turns into something that looks good for
Nokia.

Image via Shutterstock
In other words, the Nokia N9 outsold the Lumia
by 3 to 1 - even though the N9 is considerably
more expensive. I'm starting to see why Elop
was trying so hard to turn the N9 into a failure.
As a Microsoft exec, he knew that the device
and its MeeGo operating system were better
than he let on. A good selling N9 was not part
of his plan - which is to deliver Nokia's
smartphone business into Microsoft's arms.
Run it into the ground, and make it as cheap as
possible.

There's still no hard evidence for all this, but
it's looking less and less like a crazy theory. I try
to stay clear from predictions as much as
possible (mostly because I'm smart enough to
realise I'm an idiot), but it's pretty clear Nokia's
smartphone business is going to be bought by
Microsoft this year. This is worthy of the silver
screen.

The mole is doing his job really well
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by lynxnoon(m): 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2012
i keep wondering why they didnt just stick to symbain and try try revamp it n odas like meego undecided
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by amblors(m): 4:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
truth is symbian is crumbling or should i say dead, just like BB OS is dying, but i think the BB OS is way better than symbian. I can use mine (E75) as an example the browser is shyte. I still rated it until i used the browser on a small android fone. the difference was clear.
On the MeeGo thingy, what you expect when the company sacks its M/D abi na CEO and plants a Microsoft ex abi na current employee as MD.
MeeGo is better than Symbian, i mean way better, got many positive reviews,
when the N9 came out on the blogs, everyone was drooling,
some people would prefer it to the iphone despite being priced in the name range.
its a pretty fone, with a delicious interface,
but sadly enuf, they had signed the agreement to use WP7. even if they hadn't signed it, it was more or less a done deal.
Lumia got a lot of buzz as i hia, but if i was into all touch fones, i'll go for N9.
thats a pretty device.
anyways they've put the future of their smartphone market on WP7, letz c how it goes,
i bet HTC that uses both WP7 n Android OS, makes more profit from the android devices.

letz watch Nokia n c how it goes,
not like i care anymore.
if they make a WP7 device with a front facing qwerty keyboard n gr8 specs, i could be seriously tempted.
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by aieromon(m): 7:11am On Feb 09, 2012
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by Emeka72(m): 7:59am On Feb 10, 2012
I think it is because of d quality of NOKIA phones.
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
Nope, most of the phones that make up their sales are the pure water variety.

they are making a killing from selling all those palasa fones in asia and africa. on the smartfone level, they are dead.

why do u think they are losing billions of dollars yearly?

anyway, back to the topic, NITDroid has just shown images of a ICS port for the N9. and even promising a dual boot with meego!

that my people is making this issue even worse oooooo.
now there is no way i would buy a lumia over and above a N9

plus that phone is going to be a collectors item like the HD2 very soon. wish i could snag one ooooooo cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:06am On May 23, 2012
THIS IS A BLOG POST FROM A GUY I CAN ONLY DESCRIBE AS [size=28pt]VEXING FOR NOKIA[/size]

Paging Truth Police: No! Windows Phone and Nokia Lumia are NOT outselling iPhone in China. Utter BS story spread by Microsoft propaganda machine

I mentioned this story in the blog story yesterday with the update about the smartphone bloodbath. But as the story is spreading very widely, I need to make the point explicity.

Microsoft COO of Greater China, Michel van der Bel has been quoted very widely claiming that Windows Phone smartphones, especially the Nokia 800c are outselling the iPhone in China. This is utterly untrue. This is totally baseless. It is a palefaced lie. It is bullshit. Paging Truth Police. What is truth about Windows Phone in China, and why is Microsoft (and Nokia) spreading this kind of misinformation?

TOTALLY UNTRUE STORY - STOP SPREADING THE LIES - CORRECT YOUR STORIES, REPUTABLE JOURNALISTS !!

Lets go through the facts. First - NONE, and I mean NONE of any reported stories by independent sources suggest any kind of massive surge of Windows Phone sales in China. None whatsoever. Please check and do Google search where you ignore stories referencing Mr van der Bel. Look at stories before 14 May, 2012, and look for any reported independent news (ignoring Nokia or Microsoft claims). If there was a rush to buy Nokia Lumia 800c or the two other Windows Phone handsets sold in China, there would be huge stories of sales rampages in retail shops from Shanghai and Beijing to Chongqing to Urumqi. Try to find one. The only sales rampages that were in China, were with iPhone 4S launch, not Lumia 800c.

Secondly, if this was happening, it would be the biggest smartphone success ever seen in any market and it would be reported everywhere. I do mean anywhere. Apple just sold 19% of the Chinese market smartphones in Q1 according to Canalys. Remember the sales hysteria of the iPhone launch in the USA in 2007? They didn't achieve 19% in two months of US smartphone sales. They did not achieve 19% of USA smartphone sales - in two years! And it was the best smartphone launch in history supported by the biggest tech hysteria ever seen, and driven by Steve Jobs and his electrifying presense. If Windows Phone is now outselling iPhone in China - and did this in 2 months - it would be the biggest bestselling smartphone launch in history. It would be on nightly news on all Chinese TV channels - with Steve Ballmer and Stephen Elop prancing on stage all over China regularly. Remember the iPhone hysteria back in 2007? Where is the Chinese version of David Letterman and Jon Stewart and Conan O'Brian and Saturday Night Live doing big Lumia stories now? If that was the hysteria and hype of the biggest smartphone success ever seen, it would be regularly reported as astonishing China stories also in Western media, on CNBC and Bloomberg and CNN and BBC - and all the big analyst houses would be screaming about it in the press. Did you see any stories of a Windows Phone hysteria happening in China prior to May 14? Any? Even one? Even one story before this astonishing news? Did you see any stories of customers camping outside stores to get one? (Did you see any stories of the success, other than Microsoft's moutpiece Mr Bel and some rather tame Nokia PR statements?). I went through more than 500 separate news stories on Google News before 14 May using the filter of "Windows Phone" and "China" and foundnot one - not one - not one - not even one - reporting any kind of even the slightest sales rush or success of Windows Phone or Nokia Lumia in any - any - ANY - Chinese city or market or region or press or store. Not one.

Thirdly, Apple is having a huge time in China. If Microsoft's Mr Bel wanted to pick a story that was at least 'plausible' then take Motorola or HTC, former Chinese smartphone players who recently have seen falling market share. That story would be believable. But not Apple, not iPhone, not in China! Did you not just see Apple report its Q1 results (calendar quarter, ie January-March quarter) where Apple said its strong growth was driven by its China sales? Apple is growing in China, not shrinking. And note, that giant growth in China was done without the iPhone 4S selling for the full quarter! Now, Q2 (April-June) is the first full quarter the Chinese get of the iPhone 4S - it will likely be even better now!

Continue here if u are interested sha, but this guy dey beef nokia meeeennnn! grin grin grin grin grin

http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2012/05/paging-truth-police-no-windows-phone-and-nokia-lumia-are-not-outselling-iphone-in-china-utter-bs-sto.html
Re: Nokia Oh Nokia by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:12am On May 23, 2012
To summarize the whole story, this is what is going on:

For what it's worth: I looked up Stat Counter's stats for Mobile OS in China:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-CN-monthly-201201-201205

Nice graph, and I took out the OS share numbers for iOS and WP

First number iOS, second number WP:
1/2012: 12.6%, 0.19%

2/2012: 12.8%, 0.22%

3/2012: 15.8%, 0.29%

4/2012: 16.7%, 0.30%

5/2012: 15.8%, 0.38%

These numbers, if correct, are indicative of installed base.
I can see a couple of interesting things:

1) WP share is a rounding error compared to iOS share. grin grin grin

2) There is no spike in WP's numbers that would indicate a huge sales success in April or May.

3) iOS grew from Jan to May 3.2 percentage points, WP 0.19 percentage points.

But of course Microsoft sees it this way:

4) iOS grew from Jan to May by 25%, while WP's growth was a staggering 100%!!! shocked shocked

5) While iOS lost share from April to May ( - 5%), WP grew more than 26%!!! grin grin grin

See what I can do with numbers! 4) and 5) show clearly that WP outperforms iOS in terms of percentage growth! (If we just forget for a moment that WP's installed base was irrelevant in January and stays irrelevant in May.)

What else to add? Ah ja, Android came in with a share of 38.6% in May. This is pretty much 100 times bigger than WP.

Nuff said. WP is and stays a fail, even in China.

(1) (Reply)

Free Daytime Calls On All Networks / How To Chat For One Month On Whatsapp Using #100 On Airtel / Tecno T77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.