Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? (895 Views)

Numbers Attached To The Nairalanders' Names On Their Birthday / Why Do Nairaland Ladies Use Fake Profile Pics? / Names On A Typical Business Woman's Phonebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by FXKing2012(m): 2:09pm On Feb 07, 2012
I've been wondering why people use fake names and no pictures on Nairaland? People use their real names on Facebook, Twitter, etc but here on Nairaland people only use fake names and no pictures.
Pls why is this so?
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:10pm On Feb 07, 2012
That is the difference between a message board and a social network.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by FXKing2012(m): 2:15pm On Feb 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:

That is the difference between a message board and a social network.

There is no difference; they are all ways of socializing. So they all fall under social networking sites.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by Igwe9(m): 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2012
It is an open forum, so you don't have control over who your friends should be.
Besides, it helps to bring out the best/worst out of the members without them knowing.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 07, 2012
How else can you tell whats really on your mind than doing it anonymously. In my opinion most of the people that regularly spill bile on here are cowards. Imagine a person like OnlyTruth had to put his face up here, you think he'd say half the rubbish he says all the time?

Its just a means for cowards to express their inner hatred, thats all.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:15pm On Feb 07, 2012
FXKing2012:

There is no difference; they are all ways of socializing. So they all fall under social networking sites.
No, they don't. If you do a Google search for "message boards" (i.e. sites just like Nairaland), you will come to see the exact same thing there, that you see here. That is because message boards are not social networking sites. So, whereas social networking sites require their users to use 'real names', message boards only require the members to register with a simple 'fake name' (username).

Deeper philosophical/ideological reasons could be put forth to explain this, but the above is the simplest and truest. There is an implicit organizational and structural difference between a "social networking site" and a "message board".
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^ true talk.
Another thing i noticed,there was a thread that sprang up last year asking people to come state their contributions to Nigeria. People did not show up as one would have expected.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by 1stKlass(f): 3:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
Is this a forum for Naija, containing Naijas,

Need I say more - the reason is clear smiley

Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 07, 2012
Ofcourse we live in fear.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by iice(f): 6:18pm On Feb 08, 2012
Because you can.
Re: Why Use Fake Names On Nairaland? by zerocool(m): 7:30am On Feb 10, 2012
That is how a traditional board software is programmed. Quite different from social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook etc.

On forums, most times only one e-mail address is required per username. So, you can't have more than one user account with one e-mail address.

(1) (Reply)

Jos Bombing: ‘I Recognised My Wife By Her Ring’ / Wanted Obama And Hillary Clinton; Reward Is Ten Camels / ALL For Big Backside.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.