Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (53049 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:23am On Sep 12, 2012
Ikwere's issue is not a topic to be discussed parallel to "the Igbo nation", because it isn't an "Igbo" issue. One can only really talk about Ikwere's issue in context of itself. The same goes for a lot of the "Igbo" groups. One can't talk about these groups in congruence to "the Igbo nation", because one will have little to nothing to say.

Using Ngwa as an example; Ngwa's only connection with the "Igbo" complex is Aba. I doubt anyone can actually discuss Ngwa as an "Igbo" issue, beyond the context of Aba (just as how people here are unable to discuss Ikwere as an "Igbo" issue beyond the context of P.H. & Rivers State). There are plenty more examples I could present, but I'm sure you all get my point. If you want to discuss Ikwere's issue of identity, then do so in context of Ikwere itself. Trying to do such, in congruence to "the Igbo nation" just doesn't work.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:38am On Sep 12, 2012
That aside, Igbo people should just learn to ignore Ikwere and its issue. Even if one's issue is with the acclaimed lies, still ignore, because the truth is, a people cannot build what the Ikwere have built by telling the whole truth. Some things must be emphasized, while other things will be de-emphasized and even outright suppressed, if they need to be. It was a logical and necessary venture, for Ikwere to achieve what it did. The only thing truly regrettable is that bridges were burned in the process, and by the time our grandchildren come of age, no one will really know of the relationship that existed before the 20th century. What a shame, especially in the era of recorded history.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 7:33am On Sep 12, 2012
ACM10:

Come o, did u claim that you were born in UK? cheesy

I swear with my 2 balls, my monthly salary and mama and by the amadioha shrine, that you have never crossed the gate of Ajegunle. Your Written English is too poor for someone who spent part of his life and mingled with the native English speakers in UK.
I'm beginning to think that you have an underlying psychiatric disorder. You can fool everybody, but you can't fool me. I would have ignored you, but you pushed so hard on your Ikwerre claim that you activated my sensor. So I set about to investigate your claim.
BTW, "o bialu be onye a biagbuna ya" was one of Igbo wise saying spoken to me by an Ikwerre woman whom I met in Bayelsa. I hand-picked the comment to test your Ikwerre claim hoping that you can easily translate it. But you failed woefully. Thereby exposing your fake azzzz.

A LEVEL DOC
Am I dreaming or did you just criticize somone for bad English grin grin
You
Everyone knows you are an ARTILLERY GENERAL WITH your endless shelling. I even wonder since you know so much about PH,were you born in the area known as "ARTILLERY"

From now on you are no longer ACM but GENERAL ACM

ACM10:

You love to argue senselessly. All these while, I haven't seen you support your argument with raw fact. Yet, you are ready to tear down someone's evidence. Can we have a peep into your evidence? Why should you use "I believe"? Say it the way it is and provide an evidence to support your claim.

ACM10: I was at Yenogoa early this week on a working visit. I was actually invited by a colleague to participate in a procedure. I spent 24hrs at Yenogoa. I was in a hurry to get back to Enugu in time that I rejected all their offers for refreshment. It was whenwhile I was waiting to board a bus to Enugu that I noticed how hungry I amwas. I havehad to dash to the nearest restaurant. Inside the restaurant, I met 3 ladies who seemsseemed to be in their late 20s and early 30s. Since I was unsure if they are were Igbos. I opened started a conversation with them in English, they responded with pidgin English. I later settled to gulp down their well-prepared delicacy of Akpu and Onugbu soup. While I was eating, those ladies were chatting with an Anambra-type of Igbo dialect. I interjected by remarking that I thought that they were Ijaws. I proceeded to ask which part of Anambra they came from. To my utmost surprise, they told me that the are from River State. So I inquired further by asking them about which place in River State is an Igbo-speaking area. They proudly responded with "Ikwerre". I was so amazed to say the least. The lies I get here from Alj harem, Dayokanu, etc is that there is no Igbo speaking part of River State. There are many Igbo speaking parts, from Ahaoda, Elele, Mbiama, etc. I asked the ladies "why do Ikwerres deny their Igboness?" They responded by telling me that they feel so ashamed by the action of their elder who denies such.
I was also amazed by the way the residents of Yenogoa speaks Igbo as if it was their lingua franca.

ACM10: Many posters has done so much justice to this topic that there is little or nothing left for me to add. SO WHY NOT SHUT UP

(Bi)polar disorder , just like its name sounds HOW DOES IT SOUND
is a psychiatric disorder that straddles STRADDLE You no go kill person
between two poles/phase.
Rep. Jackson was recently diagnosed of bipolar disoder you mean diagnosed with NOT of
and is presently on treatment.

We have:
Bipolar I and Bipolar II disorders.

Bipolar I disorder includes episodes of both mania(very elevated mood) and major depression.
Bipolar II disorder includes episodes of both hypomania(elevated mood, but not as severe as in mania) and major depression.

Conditions that predict bipolar disorder include:
1. Depression characterized by psychotic symptoms or psychomotor retardation.
2. Mania or hypomania after antidepressant drug therapy.

Lithium is the drug of choice in treating mania. Lithium is used to control aggressive behaviour and enhance the activity of antidepressants.
Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine and valproic acid are also used to treat mania.

P.S: Electroconvulsive therapy(ECT) has no place in the management of mania. But it can be used in severe depression when other modalities has YOU MEAN HAVE failed!

I present GENERAL ACM GOC NAIRALAND ARTILLERY CORPS

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:11pm On Sep 12, 2012
aribisala0:

A LEVEL DOC
Am I dreaming or did you just criticize somone for bad English grin grin
You
Everyone knows you are an ARTILLERY GENERAL WITH your endless shelling. I even wonder since you know so much about PH,were you born in the area known as "ARTILLERY"

From now on you are no longer ACM but GENERAL ACM

Please,do not derail;You are constantly veering off topic.

I present GENERAL ACM GOC NAIRALAND ARTILLERY CORPS
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 1:34pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ah !!
the GENERAL's
Aide de Camp!
Kedu ?
Ke the General?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
aribisala0: Ah !!
the GENERAL's
Aide de Camp!
Kedu ?
Ke the General?

We have heard you....Now,you can move on.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by aribisala0(m): 3:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

We have heard you....Now,you can move on.
Tell your family to move on or even move in front of a trailer with no brakes

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Dede1(m): 7:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
First, it is Ikwerri not Ikwerre as the denial artists would want to us believe. Until the so-called Ikwerre sons and daughters give us the full name of Ikwerri, I think their silly postulations should be ignored.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
aribisala0:
Tell your family to move on or even move in front of a trailer with no brakes

Typical;We know where you 're from. Mannerless and uncouth bunch.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 10:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
vislabraye: I've observed what the poster is saying. While I served I know a fellow corper who speaks Ibo very well and socializes with them. But when an Ibo corper got into trouble I told him" what will you do about ur brother?" He said "I'm not Ibo, I'm Ikwere." It was ridiculous hearing it.

Not only Ikwere people, Asaba and some Delta Ibos don't want to associate themselves with the main Ibos. Well, whatever.

Do not come online and spread false rumors about a community that have neither done you wrong or hurt you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ngodigha1(m): 10:49pm On Sep 12, 2012
vislabraye: I've observed what the poster is saying. While I served I know a fellow corper who speaks Ibo very well and socializes with them. But when an Ibo corper got into trouble I told him" what will you do about ur brother?" He said "I'm not Ibo, I'm Ikwere." It was ridiculous hearing it.

Not only Ikwere people, Asaba and some Delta Ibos don't want to associate themselves with the main Ibos. Well, whatever.
Common get out of this thread you shameless maggot. Just tell me one Asaba man who disclaims Igbo. The same Asaba that is at the forefront of Igbo politics that you are mentioning.
Fool, one lesson for you. The Asagba of Asaba is the head of traditional rulers in the entire Igboland. Go and and figure, idiott.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 10:50pm On Sep 12, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

To me,its quite ok if they don't wanna associate with the greater Igbo nation but lets not twist facts nor rewrite history,so we can cover our shameful insecurities.

Stella Damascus,in an interview she offered some tabloids years ago,stated that her last name was "Ojukwu"(yes,same as the Ojukwu the biafran leader;note that Stella is an Asaba girl) but her family after the biafran war changed the name to her grand father's baptismal name because they thought it will help if ppl don't think they are related to ojukwu nor are Igbo. The war really dealt a devastating blow to the Igbo!

Her family did not change their last name to deny their igbo heritage. I equally read that interview. Her family changed their last name because her ppl were being persecuted by the nigerian government/army and during that time there were very little biafran soliders in Asaba, therefore very little ppl to protect the citizen of Asaba thus her family was a sitting duck for the trigger happy ignorant nigerian army. They changed their last name out for their own safety. After Biafra War, her family just kept the last name but never denied Ojukwu was her official last name neither did she deny her igbo origin.

Don't make an enemy out of your own brother especially if that your brother have never done you wrong. Till this day, i have never heard of an Asaba indigenous that have denied being Igbo so why do you all drag and paint us with the same brush as you do the rest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 27, 2012
odumchi: This is my understanding of it:

The people known as the Igbo are not a single people. The Igbo people are a nation in the sense that they are a collection of peoples who are related but not necessarily by blood.

Prior to colonization, the Igbo organized themselves on the sub-ethnic level and the basic unit of social and political organization was the village community. In parts of Igboland, large sub-ethnicities formed as many groups of villages commonly identified with each other. This phenomena is found among many groups including the Ngwa, the Ika, the Ikwere, and the Aro, however the largest of these sub-ethnicities (population-wise) is Ngwa.

Most groups of the Igbo country existed in independent communities. They didn't identify with each other on the basis of being Igbo, instead they identified each other based on their communal or sub-ethnic name. For example, in Things Fall Apart the people of Umuofia identified as Umuofia while the people of Abame identified as Abame, but to non-Igbo they were identified as Igbo regardless.

If you went to 18th century Igboland and asked a native what language he spoke, the answer would most likely be 'Igbo'. The reason I say most likely is because it could've been possible that certain groups referred to their speech with the same name as their collective group name. For example, if you asked an Ngwa what language he spoke, it's possible that he would've said 'Ngwa'.

The Igbo, for the most part, have always known subconsciously that the general name used to identify them collectively was "Igbo", but amongst themselves they identified sub-ethnically. For example if I existed in 18th century Igboland, I would've been referred to as an Aro by an Ohafia (Igbo town) native but as an Igbo by a Calabar native.

If you went to a place like Arochukwu in the year 1800 and asked a native to identify to you which neighboring communities were Igbo and which were not, they wouldn't have had a difficult time doing so. In fact, in Arochukwu, we commonly identify everyone east of us as "Ibibio" while we refer to those west of us sub-ethnically. The Efik to the east of us do the same; they refer to themselves on the sub-ethnic level while everything from Arochukwu westward is referred to as Igbo.

Unfortunately, this subconsciousness was not strong enough to make the Igbo peoples band together politically, but nevertheless, there is an Igbo nation.

Well I just learned something new. cheesy
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ikwerreboy(m): 10:54am On Jul 26, 2014
I am ikwerre from omerelu in ikwerre local government area.
My grandfather use to tell me dat we ikwerres came from benin kingdom along side with our two brothers ekpeye and ogba in rivers state and we even share boundary with them. Ikwerre settlements have their
roots traceable from the old Benin Empire when oba of benin oba Ewuare gave birth to Akalaka(third son) with a benin woman(i.e akalaka mother and father all came from benin), Akalaka, a
member of the Benin royal family, fled in the 13 th century
on allegation of plotting assassination of the Oba. He died
in 1462.
Chief N.M.T. Solomon (2004), native of Ikodu Ubie in
Ekpeyeland, in his narrative draws heavily from the now
authenticated written historical records delivered by
various informed sources including “Eketu (Weber) of
Ubeta, assumed to have lived for over two hundred (200)
years as the oldest man in all Ekpeye, Ogba and
Iwhnurọ hna (or Ikwerre), at that time (and) was asked to
narrate the history and customs of Ekpeye people” as
unfolded in his lifetime. Here is what he said, which has
been validated by the accounts of the current generation
through responses to our questionnaires and direct
interviews thereby increasing our level of confidence on the
data:
Ekpeye, born in Benin, was the first of the three sons of
Akalaka. While in Ndoni, he married a second wife to gain
the love and favour of the people. The new wife gave
birth to a son, which he named Ogba. Akalaka was still in
Ndoni when his first wife, the mother of Ekpeye, gave
birth to his third son called Ihruoha (Ikwerre).

read full story: http://iwhnurohna..com/2012/11/a-brief-history-of-ikwerre.html?m=1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by wildikeman(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2014
Becos they know what scums ibos are now... We Deltans aren't ibos pls correct yourself ooo. God forbids. We are Deltans not ibos!!!!! And if we secede from Delta, we aren't joining the ibos. God wouldn't let that! Come through

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by wildikeman(m): 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
OneNaira6:

All these pretending on NL  na wa o!! for una.
Austrians and czechclosovakians who speak Germans...are they Germans? Ss people aren't ibos. We aren't dirty!
@OP
Depending on the Ikwerres you speak to. Some see themselves as Igbo, while others do not. Monalisa chindua, Ducan Mighty and Tonto Dike are of Ikwerre stock and all three identify themselves as Igbo; online on NL there's two ikwerre i've seen so far and that is Igboboy and I think Ezeuche is also ikwerre but i'm not sure and they identify themselves as Igbo. They probably have family members whom will agree with them and at the same time disagree with them. The thing is Igbo denial in SS is there but in a limited amount but people over glorify it online thus making it appear as a huge problem when it is not. In SS, the problem is viewed as no problem at all and SE should imitate that belief. Let the few deny as much as they want as long as they don't drag everyone else into.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:50am On Sep 05, 2014
wildikeman: Becos they know what scums ibos are now... We Deltans aren't ibos pls correct yourself ooo. God forbids. We are Deltans not ibos!!!!! And if we secede from Delta, we aren't joining the ibos. God wouldn't let that! Come through

Lol...1naira6,you don see your brother?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by zendy: 10:13am On Sep 12, 2014
As a proud Igbo man from Anambra and one who supports the emancipation of Igbos as Biafrans,I will be the last person to enforce 'Igbohood' on the Ikwere people if the don't want it. I believe people have the right to choose who they are. But there are 2 things annoys me about the Ikwere saying they are a "distinct ethnic group" separate from Igbos. The first time I visited Porthacourt in 2000 or 2001, I was in the choba area and was bored and decided to take a stroll. I came across a large gathering of Ikwere youths holding a meeting and I joined to find out what was going on. I forget what it was all about but I remember it had something to do with some staff of UNIPORT but the important thing of interest was that they spoke in Ikwere and I as an Anambra man understood everything they said. Language is one major thing that makes an ethnic group 'distinct' from another so I would like to know where the Ikwere got Igbo from unless they are trying to say that Igbos came and stole their language. The Abakiliki man is 100% unadulterated Igbo but if the Abakiliki man and the Ikwere man spoke their dialects,I would understand the Ikwere man much better than I would the Abakiliki man. Another gripe I have about the Ikweres claiming not to be Igbo is the Ikweres sing a different tune when they are not in Ikwereland. What many Ikwere people do when they are in places like Lagos,Abuja,Enugu that has a large Igbo population is to 'silently' become Igbo because they realise it is in their best interest to be seen as a 'minority' while enjoying Igbo patronage.Using their Igbo names,they blend in with the Igbo majority .That's why you will never see people like Julius Agwu,Tonto Dike and Monalisa Chinda publicly claiming 'not to be Igbo' because they know it's career suicide. The Ikwere man only remembers he is not Igbo when returns to PH but he is not deceiving anybody. We all know what the politics of 'oil' can do.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2014
zendy: As a proud Igbo man from Anambra and one who supports the emancipation of Igbos as Biafrans,I will be the last person to enforce 'Igbohood' on the Ikwere people if the don't want it. I believe people have the right to choose who they are. But there are 2 things annoys me about the Ikwere saying they are a "distinct ethnic group" separate from Igbos. The first time I visited Porthacourt in 2000 or 2001, I was in the choba area and was bored and decided to take a stroll. I came across a large gathering of Ikwere youths holding a meeting and I joined to find out what was going on. I forget what it was all about but I remember it had something to do with some staff of UNIPORT but the important thing of interest was that they spoke in Ikwere and I as an Anambra man understood everything they said. Language is one major thing that makes an ethnic group 'distinct' from another so I would like to know where the Ikwere got Igbo from unless they are trying to say that Igbos came and stole their language. The Abakiliki man is 100% unadulterated Igbo but if the Abakiliki man and the Ikwere man spoke their dialects,I would understand the Ikwere man much better than I would the Abakiliki man. Another gripe I have about the Ikweres claiming not to be Igbo is the Ikweres sing a different tune when they are not in Ikwereland. What many Ikwere people do when they are in places like Lagos,Abuja,Enugu that has a large Igbo population is to 'silently' become Igbo because they realise it is in their best interest to be seen as a 'minority' while enjoying Igbo patronage.Using their Igbo names,they blend in with the Igbo majority .That's why you will never see people like Julius Agwu,Tonto Dike and Monalisa Chinda publicly claiming 'not to be Igbo' because they know it's career suicide. The Ikwere man only remembers he is not Igbo when returns to PH but he is not deceiving anybody. We all know what the politics of 'oil' can do.
Ezi igbo nwannem you said the truth,due to igbo speaking language sound alike we dont ask which part of igbo you come from on less we want to do business with you then we want to know which igbo clan you belong 2, that will always be the problem they will encounter with real igbos cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ikwerreboy(m): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
zendy: As a proud Igbo man from Anambra and one who supports the emancipation of Igbos as Biafrans,I will be the last person to enforce 'Igbohood' on the Ikwere people if the don't want it. I believe people have the right to choose who they are. But there are 2 things annoys me about the Ikwere saying they are a "distinct ethnic group" separate from Igbos. The first time I visited Porthacourt in 2000 or 2001, I was in the choba area and was bored and decided to take a stroll. I came across a large gathering of Ikwere youths holding a meeting and I joined to find out what was going on. I forget what it was all about but I remember it had something to do with some staff of UNIPORT but the important thing of interest was that they spoke in Ikwere and I as an Anambra man understood everything they said. Language is one major thing that makes an ethnic group 'distinct' from another so I would like to know where the Ikwere got Igbo from unless they are trying to say that Igbos came and stole their language. The Abakiliki man is 100% unadulterated Igbo but if the Abakiliki man and the Ikwere man spoke their dialects,I would understand the Ikwere man much better than I would the Abakiliki man. Another gripe I have about the Ikweres claiming not to be Igbo is the Ikweres sing a different tune when they are not in Ikwereland. What many Ikwere people do when they are in places like Lagos,Abuja,Enugu that has a large Igbo population is to 'silently' become Igbo because they realise it is in their best interest to be seen as a 'minority' while enjoying Igbo patronage.Using their Igbo names,they blend in with the Igbo majority .That's why you will never see people like Julius Agwu,Tonto Dike and Monalisa Chinda publicly claiming 'not to be Igbo' because they know it's career suicide. The Ikwere man only remembers he is not Igbo when returns to PH but he is not deceiving anybody. We all know what the politics of 'oil' can do.

Lier. My ikwerre brothers dont claim igbo identity whether in Nigeria or outside nigeria. We have Ogbakor ikwerre if you dont know. Ogbakor ikwerre U.s, ogbakor ikwerre south african e.t.c, And also in our home country.ogbakor ikwerre here in nigeria.

When and were did Julius Agwu,Tonto dike and Monalisa chinda claim to be igbo? or accept the igbo identity?.
After all
1. Tonto dike ones said he cant get married to an igbo man.
2. Gov. Rotimi amaechi an ikwerre man.(Currently the governor of Rivers state) told President goodluck Jonathan that we i.e the ikwerre/rivers state are not biafra.
3. Awuse an ikwerre man who one's contested for governor in rivers state, was accused of planing to chase all the igbos in rivers state/ikwerre land if he eventually becomes the governor of rivers state.
4. When th igbos in rivers state did there prayer for peace in rivers state and nigeria did we the ikwerres join you igbo? the ans is capital NO.
5. Ikwerres even asked the igbos to pay fine for organizing such a prayer without the concept of the Ikwerres who are in the owner of the land the igbo leave and derived there daily income.I.e Port Harcourt.

Look be very carefull. You know your igbo brothers have invested alot in our land. dont let us chase you people out from port harcourt as fashola did to you pple.
And Note abandon property must still occur again in port harcourt. TELL YOUR IGBO BROTHERS TO LEAVE PORT HARCOURT FOR WE THE IKWERRES AND OUR HUMBLE BROTHER THE YORUBA,IJAW,OGONI, EVEN NORTHERNERS SELF.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ikwerreboy:

Lier. My ikwerre brothers dont claim igbo identity whether in Nigeria or outside nigeria. We have Ogbakor ikwerre if you dont know. Ogbakor ikwerre U.s, ogbakor ikwerre south african e.t.c, And also in our home country.ogbakor ikwerre here in nigeria.

When and were did Julius Agwu,Tonto dike and Monalisa chinda claim to be igbo? or accept the igbo identity?.
After all
2. Gov. Rotimi amaechi an ikwerre man.(Currently the governor of Rivers state) told President goodluck Jonathan that we i.e the ikwerre/rivers state are not biafra.
3. Awuse an ikwerre man who one's contested for governor in rivers state, was accused of planing to chase all the igbos in rivers state/ikwerre land if he eventually becomes the governor of rivers state.
4. When th igbos in rivers state did there prayer for peace in rivers state and nigeria did we the ikwerres join you igbo? the ans is capital NO.
5. Ikwerres even asked the igbos to pay fine for organizing such a prayer without the concept of the Ikwerres who are in the owner of the land the igbo leave and derived there daily income.I.e Port Harcourt.

Look be very carefull. You know your igbo brothers have invested alot in our land. dont let us chase you people out from port harcourt as fashola did to you pple.
And Note abandon property must still occur again in port harcourt. TELL YOUR IGBO BROTHERS TO LEAVE PORT HARCOURT FOR WE THE IKWERRES AND OUR HUMBLE BROTHER THE YORUBA,IJAW,OGONI, EVEN NORTHERNERS SELF.
Wene onye ikwerre,speak for your self cos i know ikwerre pple that will slap you for saying they are not igbos.
What language were you pple speaking in the past? Is there any lost bini language? This is a slap on the face of your Ngwas,Aros and Uratta ancestors. Tufia.
Take out time and study your history before sharing your controversial opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:20pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ikwerreboy: I am ikwerre from omerelu in ikwerre local government area.
My grandfather use to tell me dat we ikwerres came from benin kingdom along side with our two brothers ekpeye and ogba in rivers state and we even share boundary with them. Ikwerre settlements have their
roots traceable from the old Benin Empire when oba of benin oba Ewuare gave birth to Akalaka(third son) with a benin woman(i.e akalaka mother and father all came from benin), Akalaka, a
in 1462.
data:

read full story: http://iwhnurohna..com/2012/11/a-brief-history-of-ikwerre.html?m=1
Speak for yourself o.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by zendy: 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ikwerreboy:

After all

Your tiny Ikwere Kingdom is going to chase the Igbos out of PH? Have you been smoking something illegal? You can't even chase Ijaws out. You Ikweres can be sneaky. So when you are in Lagos,you shut your
Mouth that you are not Igbo and use your Igbo name and language to blend in because you don't want to be seen as a minority but as soon as you return to PH you will start shouting 'I am not Igbo'!. Do you really think that if Chibuike Amaechi was in Kano and Hausas who are looking for Igbos to kill caught him,he will manage convince anyone he is not Igbo with a name like that? If the Ikweres say they are not Igbo then no problem,but I hope you guys are not saying this just because of the same oil wells that are found in any Igbo state.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by omonnakoda: 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
zendy:

Your tiny Ikwere Kingdom is going to chase the Igbos out of PH? Have you been smoking something illegal? You can't even chase Ijaws out. You Ikweres can be sneaky. So when you are in Lagos,you shut your
Mouth that you are not Igbo and use your Igbo name and language to blend in because you don't want to be seen as a minority but as soon as you return to PH you will start shouting 'I am not Igbo'!. Do you really think that if Chibuike Amaechi was in Kano and Hausas who are looking for Igbos to kill caught him,he will manage convince anyone he is not Igbo with a name like that? If the Ikweres say they are not Igbo then no problem,but I hope you guys are not saying this just because of the same oil wells that are found in any Igbo state.
Abandon property Saga happened in only one place . Not in Lagos ,remind me where was it ....................Could it be Port Harcourt

Let me ask Gugu
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 7:15am On Jul 10, 2016
dayokanu:

The bolded.

Some m0rons on the edo Thread claimed they can differentiate 2 Southern Nigerian by looks. What could be more id10tic.

Thanks to the white men that came here before your father was born, they made us understand that Oratta-Ikwerre-Ohaji were grouped together as people that migrated from same place and root. These anthropologists, ethnologists and scientists did s lot of work before arriving st that. Of course that was the period of innocence, no discovery of oil, no politics, no Nigeria, the years of freedom. Ikwerre never denied these then. Late Obi Nwali, Past Governor Rotimi Amaechi and other notable people from that section have various times stated it categorically that they are Igbos. The Okrikas, Kalabaris, and Ijaws know you guys as pure Igbos. And they tell you how most of you came during the era of slave trade from most parts of Igbo land to occupy greater parts of Obio. Being an ethnic nation or kingdom doesn't make less Igbo. Ukwa is an ethnic nation, likewise mbaise, Ideato, mbano, Ngwa, Igor Okpala. It doesn't make them less Igbo. If it does, me from Nkwerre in IMO state, I am from Nkwerre-Isu ethnic nationality.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 7:20am On Jul 10, 2016
Ikwerreboy:

After all

Thanks to the white men that came here before your
father was born, they made us understand that Oratta-
Ikwerre-Ohaji were grouped together as people that
migrated from same place and root. These
anthropologists, ethnologists and scientists did a lot of
work before arriving at that. Of course that was the
period of innocence, no discovery of oil, no politics, no
Nigeria, the years of freedom. Ikwerre never denied
these then. Late Obi Nwali, Past Governor Rotimi
Amaechi and other notable people from that section
have various times stated it categorically that they are
Igbos. The Okrikas, Kalabaris and other neighbouring Ijaws and Ogonis know you guys as pure Igbos. And they tell you how most of you came during the era of slave trade from most parts of Igbo land to occupy greater parts of Obio. Being an ethnic nation or kingdom doesn't make you less Igbo. Ukwa is an ethnic nation, likewise mbaise, Ideato, mbano, Ngwa, Ngor Okpala. It doesn't make them less Igbo. If it does, then me from Nkwerre in Imo state, I am from Nkwerre-Isu ethnic nationality with population of over 1 million people and over 4 Local Government Areas (Nkwerre, Nwangele, Isu, Njaba and Southern Part of Orlu LGA popularly known as Isu Orlu). Get your senses correct
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 8:24am On Jul 10, 2016
omonnakoda:
Abandon property Saga happened in only one place . Not in Lagos ,remind me where was it ....................Could it be Port Harcourt

Let me ask Gugu
So you now agree you people stole other people's property, just as you are trying to steal Igboid and Igbo culture area lands. You came from Benin to Igbo land, with that fallacy you people can go back to Benin and leave the area know as sphere of Igbo culture area. May be Benin people will give you guys land at Ikpoba slope. Onye ara
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 10:21am On Jul 10, 2016
eastOFwest:

Guy leave matter, have you lived amongst Ikwerre's before? There's nothing in their demeanour, lifestyle or work ethic that suggests Igbo.
You can't rewrite Igbo history
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 11:05am On Jul 10, 2016
eastOFwest:

You can quite easily say too, that ikwerres are riverine poeple that are close to Igbos and as a result have borrowed some Igbo elements.
Out of antagonism you got it wrong. Ikwerre in Rivers state isn't riverine but upland people just as Ogoni and they are not Ogoni, they are not riverine people but upland (Igbos). Out of convenience you are now calling Ikwerre riverine. Quite absurd and desperate
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ikwerreboy:
in 1462.
data:

Its a lie! Fairy tales, forklores. Tell that your grandfather that he is a pathological liar. They used bus, car, trailer or plane to fly all the way from Benin, passing all the creek and rivers with what technology? And why did they decide to settle at Omerelu our backyard in Imo state? Why didn't they retain that forged name ihroha or whatever you can coin? At what stage did they start answering Chinda, Ohonda? Why Chiokike instead of Osenobwa? Benin indeed! You know you guys have messed yourselves up and boxed up yourselves in a tight corner that your lies can't tally again nor hold water. Shame!!! Aruh!! Taboo that someone will have the boldness to deny his ancestors!! Who then do you pour libations to? Very stupid
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by SUNNYsparkle: 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ikwerreboy:
in 1462.
data:

Its a lie! Fairy tales, forklores. Tell that your grandfather that he is a pathological liar. They used bus, car, trailer or plane to fly all the way from Benin, passing all the tiger infested forests, creeks and rivers with what technology? Now did they meet the urhobos, Ijaws etc on there way out of benin, because they must have passed those peoples and lands. And why did they decide to settle at Omerelu and all other places called Ikwerre right at our backyard in Imo state? Why didn't they retain that forged name iwhroha or whatever you can coin? At what stage did they start answering Chinda, Ohonda? Why live in clans and villages/kindreds as against quarters/compounds? Why Chiokike instead of Osenobwa? Benin indeed! You know you guys have messed yourselves up and boxed up yourselves in a tight corner that your lies can't tally again nor hold water. Shame!!! Aruh!! Taboo that someone will have the boldness to deny his ancestors!! Who then do you pour libations to, the same ancestors you are denying? Very stupid. Listen let me tell you, Northern Ikwerre seems to be the unadulterated original pre historic Igbo language that has not been altered much.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen / How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.