Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music (16245 Views)

The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by Eziachi: 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2012
I was so glad reading all your contributions towards Igbo Highlife music. For the last 40 years at least I had been collecting Igbo/Ghana highlife music and few Yorubas like Fatai Rolling Dollar. I have about 2000 albums now, many of the in vinyl format and worth a bit.
I have to admit that I find very difficult to like any of the new generation highlife musician but I do have tome at time for one N.D Stanley (Arabanko) Onyenze (Osadebe's nephew) Darlington Nwangwu.
Still from the old generation but still going strong is multi talented Goddy or Godwin Ezike (Khaki) If you haven't listen to Goddy Ezike before, you had missed a great deal, go today and start collecting his music and wow yourself. Most of his album you can buy from Amazon.
Explore these artists too and you won't be disappointed:
Aloy Anyanwu,
Kabaka Int Guitar Band
Imo Brothers,
King Ubulu,
Orlu Brothers,
Mighty Iroko Band,
Eddy Okwodi,
Enugu Prism Band,
Pele Asampete,
Vincent Okoego-Ikenga Super Stars,
Joe Nez,
Dr Olololo & Mbaise Bros Band
Helen William (Di Dim Uko) I saw a song on youtube.
Okey Ihediora with the Orlu Bro Band (Okokporo) check youtube
Tony Awoma
Great Oriental (Splinter group from Oriental Bros)
The Apostles
Enyang Henshaw (Efik guy)
Kingsley Bassey (Efik guy)
Banigo Ahumaraeze (Uzo Ije shiri Ike)
Nwokolobia Agu & NTA Enugu choir (Enenebe Eje Olu)
Harcourt White (who conquered disability of leprosy and become genius musician/composer)
Perry Ernest
Douglas Ederi Chukwueke (Olariche Supersonic)
Danny Orji (Eddy Kwansa-the music used in Zebrudaya intro)

And many more.

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by Eziachi: 6:02pm On Jun 22, 2012
pazienza:

Well,the brother is right,but that's the more reason why he is my superstar,i easily relate to those his sorrowful songs,the more sorrowful he makes them,the better it sounds to me.

Oliver? I like that song he sang for people's club,how time changes,people's club is no longer reigning,that club was once great,whatever happened to them,i dont know.

There is this other guy i love his song,his name is spider ududo. The sam warrior story,i heard it too,i always wonder if it's true,they said that when they gave him the lethal injection,he came back and sang the song 'uwa chiga chiga'.

Oriental brothers are cool, songs like obinwannem,nwanyi diya wu eze,onye ka uwa ya kacha nma are great,i can't just get enough of them,owerri dialect and anioma dialect are good for music,even though i always have difficulty understanding the former.

Don't believe those radio without power stories- Christogonus Ezewuiro Obinna a.k.a Dr. Sir Warrior died of diabetes after suffering for 10 good years. Believe it or not, he is a very good friend of mine since we met in 1985 in London, when he came to record his album-Anyi Nyiri Odo with his band and a friend introduced us..
His two grown up kids (Uche & Ajuzieogu) are big disappointment. They set a tone that they will copy their father with the album released after their father death in 1999 and that was it.
Ajuzieogu I think reside in Chicago now after graduating from Abia State Uni, going around america with mic in his hand singing his fathers songs, over a CD PLAYER at any Igbo party going in the state.
Peoples Club is still going but not as prestigious as it was when I joined in 1981 through my fathers recommendation. I still remember then that you have to have an asset worth at least 100k naira before you can become a member. LOL. Lots of money then though. My branch here in London still function but I hadly attend this days-full of noisy/show-off kids this days.
Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2012
Eziachi:

Don't believe those radio without power stories- Christogonus Ezewuiro Obinna a.k.a Dr. Sir Warrior died of diabetes after suffering for 10 good years. Believe it or not, he is a very good friend of mine since we met in 1985 in London, when he came to record his album-Anyi Nyiri Odo with his band and a friend introduced us..
His two grown up kids (Uche & Ajuzieogu) are big disappointment. They set a tone that they will copy their father with the album released after their father death in 1999 and that was it.
[b]Ajuzieogu I think reside in Chicago now after graduating from Abia State Uni, going around america with mic in his hand singing his fathers songs, over a CD PLAYER at any Igbo party going in the state.
[/b]Peoples Club is still going but not as prestigious as it was when I joined in 1981 through my fathers recommendation. I still remember then that you have to have an asset worth at least 100k naira before you can become a member. LOL. Lots of money then though. My branch here in London still function but I hadly attend this days-full of noisy/show-off kids this days.

I think I know who you're talking about. grin I was in one of such parties. grin
Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by Dede1(m): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
You people are great and it is very refreshing to read your inherent interest in Igbo highlife music. I love the following outfits and songs

Eastern minstrel Band
Eastern Brothers that metamorphosed in Oriental Brothers in Lagos.
Joe Nze
Peacocks (Abiriwa)
Osadebe
Oliver DiCoque
Skylarks
Ali Chukwuma (Alice Nwanyi muu)
Oriental Brothers
Ikengas in London (Asampete Nwanyi Oma)
Adaure by Cardinal Rex-Lawson
Abaraka
Ikenga Superstars
Mike Ejeagha
Celestine Ukwu
Douglas Ederi Chukwueke (Olariche Supersonic)
Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by pazienza(m): 8:40pm On Jul 25, 2016
Good old days.
Re: The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music by NairaData: 9:24am On Oct 09, 2022
For Igbo / Yoruba / Benin highlife and Gospel music free mp3 downloads: https://afrowap.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Wonder What Ghananians Are Turning In To: (it's A Shame) / The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.