Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:16 PM

"touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained (19759 Views)

"Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ / Touch Not My Anointed & Do My Prophet No Harm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 5:02am On Feb 09, 2012
David's Psalm of Thanksgiving
(1 Chronicles 16 verse 1, 7-23, emphasis on verse 22; Psalm 105:1-20, emphasis on verse 15, NKJV)

1. So they brought the ark of God, and set it in the midst of the tabernacle that David had erected for it. Then they offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before God.7. On that day David first delivered [this psalm] into the hand of Asaph and his brethren, to thank the LORD:8. Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples!15. Remember His covenant forever, the word which He commanded, for a thousand generations, 16. [The covenant which] He made with Abraham, And His oath to Isaac, 17. And confirmed it to Jacob for a statute, To Israel [for] an everlasting covenant, 18. Saying, "To you I will give the land of Canaan As the allotment of your inheritance," 19. When you were few in number, Indeed very few, and strangers in it. 20. When they went from one nation to another, And from [one] kingdom to another people, 21. He permitted no man to do them wrong; Yes, He rebuked kings for their sakes, 22. [Saying], "Do not touch My anointed ones, And do My prophets no harm." 23. Sing to the LORD, all the earth; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.

Many times, we often hear folks defend their spiritual or religious leaders, with such words as “touch not my anointed” when such leaders are being questioned or spoken against for an ungodly activity. Also, some religious leaders themselves threatens their folks with a curse should they question their leader or speak against such leader in an attempt to make them accountable on certain issues.

A careful look at the origin of the word, “touch not my anointed” actually shows church folks and religious leaders have grossly taken scriptures out of context and misled, manipulated, intimidated and dominated many in these last days. This is such as a jezebel or witchcraft spirit.

David and the Israelites went to battle against the Philistines. The Philistines were defeated and the Ark of the Covenant was brought to the people of God and David rendered these Psalms to God. If we are to read such words, “touch not my anointed” in context contrary to out of context as often used, it actually refer to “harming or killing” God’s anointed one(s) – the Israelites. It does not refer to holding religious leaders accountable or speaking against them. A typical example of how we can put “touch not my anointed” in context is such as is happening in our world today when Christians are being killed or harmed.

The following scriptures explains that all believers are anointed ones and had being given a certain measure of anointing

2 Corinthians 1:21
Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us [is] God,

1 John 2:26-27.
These things I have written to you concerning those who [try to] deceive you.
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

However, it does not mean we don’t need pastors and gift in the body of Christ but if it doesn’t equip and edify believers, then it is operating Jezebel spirit.

Revelation 2:20, "Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

Ephesians 4:11-12
And He Himself gave some [to be] apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,12. for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

If you are in a church where your leader intimidates, manipulates, dominates and threatens with all manners of curse when such leader is being questioned, I will advice you to leave such church as you may be under a witchcraft or sorcery spirit and look for a bible believing church where you can join other faithful believers.

2 Timothy 1:7, For God has not given us a spirit of fear (timidity), but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

2 Corinthians 6:17, Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."

Thank you and God bless you All in Jesus’ name.

2 Likes

Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by PastorKun(m): 7:10am On Feb 09, 2012
Nice and incisive article, I hope FXking2012 and other MOG idolaters are reading.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 09, 2012
Nice article Goshen.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 7:37am On Feb 09, 2012
By hierarchy, David was higher than Nathan the prophet. David did evil and Nathan confronted him and same David that wrote the psalms didn't quote, "touch not my anointed". Paul confronted n rebuked Peter n Peter didn't say,"do my prophets no harm". Many men of God thinks they are the way,the truth and life. Babylon is fallen n cannot be reform.

2 Likes

Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by kodewrita(m): 8:00am On Feb 09, 2012
Wish this could be placed on the front page. It deserves to be thoroughly discussed. Great post by the way goshen.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 8:16am On Feb 09, 2012
And Jesus said, if I be lifted up I will draw all men unto me. It is sad today the way people idolize men. Lord help us.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Joagbaje(m): 8:50am On Feb 09, 2012
There are different kinds of annointings. There are levels if the anointing. The word anointing has several meaning. There is general anointing for all people of God and there's is anointing for office . It is ignorance if we can't distinguish the two.

You must have respect and Honour for those who God has anointed into ministry offices over you.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Knight1(m): 9:13am On Feb 09, 2012
Joagbaje:

There are different kinds of annointings. There are levels if the anointing. The word anointing has several meaning. There is general anointing for all people of God and there's is anointing for office . It is ignorance if we can't distinguish the two.

You must have respect and Honour for those who God has anointed into ministry offices over you.

I'm not sure i get your point.

@OP GOD bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've been meaning to write on this topic and haven't just been serious to put pen to paper. the second i wanted to address was the popular "JUDGE NOT" on NL.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 9:25am On Feb 09, 2012
Joagbaje:

[/quote

Correct and agreed but what we are saying is, should they not be corrected, spoken against or confronted when they err? Without them acting in pride quoting touch not my anointed as touching God's anointed in context means to harm or kill. The bible allows us to chastise our brother and if he repent,we should forgive.

Joagbaje link=topic=866519.msg10155874#msg10155874 date=1328773836:

There are different kinds of annointings. There are levels if the anointing. The word anointing has several meaning. There is general anointing for all people of God  and there's is anointing for office . It is ignorance if we can't distinguish the two.

And can you list the different kinds or levels of anointing please with bible verses for each.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 09, 2012
Joagbaje:

There are different levels of annointing and different kinds,
Please could you quote those wonderful verses you usually cherry pick to back up crap like this?
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 9:35am On Feb 09, 2012
Knight1:

I'm not sure i get your point.

@OP GOD bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've been meaning to write on this topic and haven't just been serious to put pen to paper. the second i wanted to address was the popular "JUDGE NOT" on NL.

Believers can judge each other in faith because we are suppose to know better. It is those that are not saved that we shouldn't judge. Bible explains itself. So much out of context, misunderstanding and misinterpretations to justify man made doctrines. If we allow the bible to interpret itself,heresies will stop flying everywhere.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Joagbaje(m): 9:58am On Feb 09, 2012
musKeeto:

There are different levels of annointing and different kinds, 
Please could you quote those wonderful verses you usually cherry pick to back up crap like this?

You may call it cherry picking. But I pray God open the eyes of many of you to his truth.

My point is  this, Despite the general anointing which is "election" chosen" a holy nation etc. the we're chosen from among all nation to be separated . That "chosen" also  mean "anointing" or "elect". The point is that from among this elect of God he still chose some and he elected ,appointed or anointed them over others. And the principle still stands that among these generally anointed ,there' are people God anointed specially over others and the other people of God must not touch these anointed ,because their calling is of God.

This anointing which i will call "special anointing" has to do with leadership and offices in Gods kingdom.  Theres parallel if this in the old testament. When certain leaders withstood Moses claiming "we are all anointed " that same voice of rebellion is ringing in the church today.

Some leaders gathered against Moses that he didnt have more right Than any person since they were all "anointed" but they missed the principle

Numbers 16:3-5
3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the Lord is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the Lord? 4 And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face:

What was God response to them .

Numbers 16:20-22
20 And the Lord spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, 21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. 22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

And what was Gods judgement?

Numbers 16:32-34
32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. 33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. 34 And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also.

You don't attack spiritual leaders , you submit to spiritual leaders and you will be blessed of God in the church.It's a spiritual principle. Principles in God transcend dispensations . They are forever. Old or new testament.

Another good example Is David and Saul . David has several opportunities to kill Saul ,the rejected king, but he understood the anointing. If you dispose the anointing ,you can't function in the anointing. Even though God rejected Saul , but for the fact that oil was poured upon him , despite the fact that Saul committed blunders, David a spiritual man will not "touch the anointed "

Even when Saul was looking for David to kill him. And he made a mistake . He ,was pressed and went into a cave to release himself leaving his soldiers outside but he didn't know David was inside the cave. Abishai David servant asked for permission to strike Saul dead onetime but what did David say

1 Samuel 26:9
9 And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord's anointed, and be guiltless?

Even when someone else later came to David claiming he had killed Saul, thinking David will Honour him. What was David response?

2 Samuel 1:14-16
14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the Lord's anointed? 15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. 16 And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the Lord's anointed.

David knew spirttual principles. He knew the word of God.

Exodus 22:28
Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.

That was the same principle paul acted by. When he lashed at the high priest for sending somebody to slap him in court. He didn't know the man was high priest . But when he realized look at his response.

Acts 23:2-5
2 And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth. 3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law? 4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest? 5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLES ARE ETERNAL. THEY DONT CHANGE. OLD OR NEW TESTAMENT

In the church ,we ought to submit to those who God anointed over us . Satan will always push certain people not to recognize this truth so as to detstroy them.

Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by tpia5: 10:33am On Feb 09, 2012
Its usually the non-christian "christians" who focus more on attacking their leaders than actually having knowledge of the word of God.

The op simply juxtaposed a bunch of unrelated bible verses together without attempting to even correlate whatever he was trying to say.

But i agree- if you disagree with a church or church leader then by all means do not stay there if you're unable to show a christian nature despite being an attendee.

As per touching or not touching anointed- there was much annoyance over who was and wasnt buying jets but in the meantime i trust we all noticed the difference in how some spend money.

Some use their own money to buy bombs and organize civil disturbances, while others dont.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Joagbaje(m): 1:15pm On Feb 09, 2012
tpia@:

But i agree- if you disagree with a church or church leader then by all means do not stay there if you're unable to show a christian nature despite being an attendee.

That is wisdom , if you don't believe in the leadership, leave the place.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Fr0sbel: 1:32pm On Feb 09, 2012
Perfectly articulated and accurate article.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 2:37pm On Feb 09, 2012
tpia@:

Its usually the non-christian "christians" who focus more on attacking their leaders than actually having knowledge of the word of God.

The op simply juxtaposed a bunch of unrelated bible verses together without attempting to even correlate whatever he was trying to say.

I don't really get your point but my point is clear enough that, "touch not my anointed" is often used out of context as it doesn't mean a man of God cannot be corrected if he goes wrong. Also, I made it clear from the word of God, that if we put the scriptures in context, "touch not my anointed" means not to harm or kill. I will love to know where I juxtaposed bunch of unrelated bible verses please. Again, I am not an unbeliever if you care to know. I strongly believe we must respect and honour the religious leaders but when they err, that they cannot be corrected is unbiblical.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 3:06pm On Feb 09, 2012
@ Joagbaje,

The verses you quoted simply did not tell us the different kinds of anointing and levels of anointing. I am not encouraging rebellion here but my point is, "touch not my anointed" as it is often misused if put in context means to kill or harm, it is physical attempt and not when a religious leader is corrected. The issue of Moses and Aaron is clear rebellion and that is not what we are talking about sir.

9 And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord's anointed, and be guiltless?

This is the true meaning of touch not my anointed and this is what am talking about as you can see, it involves physical. please read within context.

14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the Lord's anointed? 15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. 16 And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the Lord's anointed.

Am sure you read my post very well, this is the true meaning of touch not my anointed as this involved killing physically. You cannot quote "touch not my anointed" when a man of God goes wrong and he being corrected in love . I understand some people take issues personal and use insulting words, that is their level of maturity but certainly not that a man of God cannot be corrected or chastised.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by tpia5: 4:46pm On Feb 09, 2012
^Do you really need lectures on the difference between according due respect when respect is due, and juvenile badmouthing of your leaders simply out of envy or cultism.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Koolking(m): 5:01pm On Feb 09, 2012
goshen360:

By hierarchy, David was higher than Nathan the prophet. David did evil and Nathan confronted him and same David that wrote the psalms didn't quote, "touch not my anointed". Paul confronted n rebuked Peter n Peter didn't say,"do my prophets no harm". Many men of God thinks they are the way,the truth and life. Babylon is fallen n cannot be reform.

They don't just see themselves as gods, but their followers give them the impetus to feel that way. The gullible followers now see their pastors as supreme beings where you have to see them through GOD and not seeing GOD through them. GOD is now seen as secondary.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by sunkoye: 5:02pm On Feb 09, 2012
All what are happening in churches today are signs of End time. you can hardly differentiate between children of the church and the world. most of this issue are created by church leaders. it is a common saying to hear"my pastor said" my pastor this, " my pastor that" the leaders enjoyed this as church goers depend on them on physical and spiritual issues instead of God. that is why their eye are closed to the destruction that await them. MY GOD IS A JEALOUS GOD.He is a lamb but also a Lion. He bears not  His sword in vain. God will spit us out cos of our lukewarm attitude. i pray we turn back to him. Amen
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 5:07pm On Feb 09, 2012
tpia@:

^Do you really need lectures on the difference between according due respect when respect is due, and juvenile badmouthing of your leaders simply out of envy or cultism.

GO AHEAD MY BROTHER.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by mbulela: 5:07pm On Feb 09, 2012
There is nothing to discuss.
That phrase is used out of context for the sake of seduction and manipulation of an ignorant congregation.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Goshen360(m): 5:21pm On Feb 09, 2012
^^^ I know it is grossly used out of context but i want to hear what tpia wants to teach us on the difference btw due respect and badmouthing out of envy or cultism. I dont know who is envying who here. I have simply used same scriptures they quote and explained it in context of what it means.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Chimex30(m): 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2012
Hm every issue has a bible reference backing it up God just help us to know the right one
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Joagbaje(m): 6:34pm On Feb 09, 2012
goshen360:

This is the true meaning of touch not my anointed and this is what am talking about as you can see, it involves physical. please read within context.

Am sure you read my post very well, this is the true meaning of touch not my anointed as this involved killing physically.

I may not exactly agree, it's not just about the physical contact. He should not be touched by hand or by pen or by mouth or by post. The touching has to do with any injury either verbal ,criticism ,etc remember Paul's case . He only used his mouth at the high priest ,but when he realized ,he repented openly. That's touching the anointed.

You cannot quote "touch not my anointed" when a man of God goes wrong and he being corrected in love

That's true. But those who are "touching " are not doing it in love as we see here. Jethrow admonished Moses in love but Mirian and Aaron Were judged.
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Olumogun: 6:40pm On Feb 09, 2012
Still waiting to hear from any one who had rope on his neck, and dragged with force to go to any church.

If you can not abide by the simple RULES (either by God or man) in any church, why not get out of the place instead of calling down on yourself what you do not know.

Remember that Mariam was trying to tell Moses the fact about his marriage but she paid for it.
Korah, Dathan, and Abiram where also right when they say it was not only Moses that was called, yet they paid for it.
Absalom was right about his father's (David) disposition about some of the people's welfare, but he could no longer retrace his step once he embarked on the wrong track - disrespect to the father.
Michal, the daughter of Saul only slighted the person of David (her husband) but anointed servant of God, she never enjoyed the outcome.

I can continue with the list, my simple advice is : IF YOU CAN NOT STAY UNDER A LEADER (PASTOR) BECAUSE U HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW ABOUT HIS ACT OR OPERATION, PICK YOUR BIBLE AND GET OUT OF THERE FAST.  

A erring minister is answerable only to the one who called him. or are YOU the one that put the 'ANOINTING' upon him?
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Sike(m): 6:58pm On Feb 09, 2012
When i first saw the topic, i taught it's something sexual. Now i see
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by chreldb(m): 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
"Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm"I

I would like to thank Goshen and joagbage for thei inciteful and intelectual interpretatio of the scriptures. Having gone through their posts, I decided to check the dictionary meaning of the words "anointed" and "prophet". And this is what I got

Anoint: To put oil on somebody or on a part of somebodies body as part of a religous or other ceremony.

Priphet: (especially in the christain, jewish and Muslim religions) a person who teaches religion and is, or claims to be, inspired by God.

This is my own personal inferment. Anyone who sincerely and genuinly believes in christ and is a christain is anoited by God. That is why the practice of anointing christains with olive oil iin churches is a symbol of christainity. Preachers and religous leaders are the prophets in the house of God today. Joagbaje inspired me to get these details. But however I agree with goshen when he says touch not my anointed and do my prophets no har is restricted to physically assaulting the people of God on any level but it does not mean that the people of God be the anointed or prophets should not be corrected if they go astray for all have sinned be them Jew or gentile and come short of the glory of God. Romance 13
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by chreldb(m): 7:29pm On Feb 09, 2012
Please excuse my typo errors. And I meant Romance 3 not 13
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by Joagbaje(m): 7:41pm On Feb 09, 2012
chreld_b:

Please excuse my typo errors. And I meant Romance 3 not 13

I'm sure you meant Romans and not "Romance " cool
Re: "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained by fbude: 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2012
Islam is one of the worlds major problem
its a satanic religion.A religion that kills
women and children and calls it jihad.
A religion that has left a trail of bloodshed
and sorrow accros worlds history.
Watch these links to understand Bokoharam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoT8jruvj3s&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrzbdPKnhk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrzbdPKnhk&feature=related

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Okay For A Female Pastor To Officiate A Wedding Ceremony? / Stop Boko Haram: Tawiah To TB Joshua / Good Friday Miracle Night With Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.