Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

How Do I Get A Scholarship? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Get A Scholarship? (14391 Views)

You Do Not Need Jamb - Get A Scholarship 100% Tuition Fee Only Waec Needed / Secure An Admission To A School In The US, A Scholarship, And A 4 Years F1 Visa. / How To Get a Scholarship With My SAT? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 1:38am On Feb 10, 2012
actually,this isnt for me but for my favourite nephew.
He's presently in SS.3 and preparing to write SSCE.
He is very brilliant and his parents are hoping he would get a scholarship to study outside Nigeria.
What/which exams is he supposed to sit for?
would he need extra coaching for those exams?
Where can he obtain forms?
What schools in UK/US can he apply to?
What are the criterium for applying?
Your responses would be highly appreciated!
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by shags(m): 1:49am On Feb 10, 2012
Maybe he should try SAT or TOEFL
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 6:24am On Feb 10, 2012
^are those appropriate for an o-level candidate?
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by GboyegaD(m): 4:34pm On Feb 10, 2012
shags:

Maybe he should try SAT or TOEFL

Those are the right exams to take and if he has a good score coupled with good High School Transcripts, he can apply to schools that have honours program as most of them give very good funding some include boarding and feeding. I would recommend some tutorials as it prepares him better. You can help him check for good ones there in Lagos. I know there is one around Abule Oja very close to Unilag.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by norrisman: 4:35pm On Feb 10, 2012
SAT or TOEFL wont get you no bloody scholarships. One is an entrance examination and the other is just to test your proficiency in the english language. Why does he want to study abroad. Do you not beleive in your country Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Oludarey(m): 4:37pm On Feb 10, 2012
Take the SAT. don't just pass it, ACE it!
Figure out what you wanna do with yourself in the next 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 15, 20 etc,
put it down on paper, write a banging application essay (v. important for US colleges)

Apply to top notch schools (they usually have more $$ for scholars)

stay sharp!
Good luck
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Chinyxboy(m): 4:52pm On Feb 10, 2012
That is true @Norrisman. These exams are for internationaL Scholarship Programs. You will need a considerable score in these exams if you are going to be considered for a Scholarship. The Scholarship Provider will communicate to the general public on the type of exam that is needed and the score required from the Scholarship Apllicant(s).

To get more knowledge and informaion about these exams and to answer your question on 'How to get a Scholarship?', i will like you to visit: www.nigeriascholar.com . Hope this helps?
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by babanne(m): 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2012
Scholarships exist but for very brilliant students. Yes, you can go to the state scholarship board in your area for enquiries. Almost every state of the federation has such.

If you can pass SAT or TOEFL very well too, you can get scholarship.
There is PTDF scholarship as well.

Oil companies such as mobil and shell also do scholarships every year but you must be very brilliant to be selected in your university/polytechnic. read newspapers, you will see adverts.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Limaoscar: 5:23pm On Feb 10, 2012
SAT or TOEFL wont get you no bloody scholarships. One is an entrance examination and the other is just to test your proficiency in the english language. Why does he want to study abroad. Do you not beleive in your country Nigeria?

Wake up my friend! Where u dey since wey ASUU and Govt dey take Nigerian Students play ping-pong for over two decades.

I'm not back home but I still feel the effect of having to do a first degree back home. I went through hell to get them post my CV to SPANTRAN and another hell to get my original certificate. It was either on ASUU, student strike or Document got burnt or missing----etc.

Not to talk of the achaic  hand-out lectures students get. You come out here and just see your whole intellectualism come alive as a Naija pikin wey don suffer everything just look so easy unless you 're really playing so hard you don't want to pass.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Lucy001(f): 5:41pm On Feb 10, 2012
Let him apply for Korean Government scholarship, for undergraduate, application is currently on going, the Korean government scholarship can be gotten in two ways, either by the embassy's recommendation or by the universities recommendation.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by alarm4: 5:45pm On Feb 10, 2012
YES I also wnt 2 knw same issue 4 my sister too, she is 18yr and very brillant,
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by GboyegaD(m): 5:55pm On Feb 10, 2012
norrisman:

If you are not sure why not make more enquiries rather than sounding convinced on an incorrect statement His choice of wanting to study abroad is his business and not ours. The aunt has asked a question and that is what we should respond to and save other talks for another day.
Limaoscar:

Wake up my friend! Where u dey since wey ASUU and Govt dey take Nigerian Students play ping-pong for over two decades.

I'm not back home but I still feel the effect of having to do a first degree back home. I went through hell to get them post my CV to SPANTRAN and another hell to get my original certificate. It was either on ASUU, student strike or Document got burnt or missing----etc.

Not to talk of the achaic hand-out lectures students get. You come out here and just see your whole intellectualism come alive as a Naija pikin wey don suffer everything just look so easy unless you 're really playing so hard you don't want to pass.

The bitter truth!

Lucy001:

Let him apply for Korean Government scholarship, for undergraduate, application is currently on going, the Korean government scholarship can be gotten in two ways, either by the embassy's recommendation or by the universities recommendation.

You could post it on here or start a thread to help those who may be interested.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by heroes1983(m): 6:21pm On Feb 10, 2012
There is no such thing as full undergraduate scholarship in UK or USA sponsored by the university for first time comers from Nigeria. Scholarships are possible if you already a resident or already have a visa. The available scholarships are either part paid or sponsored by a third third party. You would have to have an exceptionally wonderfully unique result or quality then apply through these sponsoring bodies. Or you have someone there already that can recommend you. Full time scholarships are for post grads. ill advice you try other less popular countries.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
heroes1983:

There is no such thing as full undergraduate scholarship in UK or USA sponsored by the university for first time comers from Nigeria. Scholarships are possible if you already a resident or already have a visa. The available scholarships are either part paid or sponsored by a third third party. You would have to have an exceptionally wonderfully unique result or quality then apply through these sponsoring bodies. Or you have someone there already that can recommend you. Full time scholarships are for post grads. ill advice you try other less popular countries.

there are.

@ slimyem, if your nephew ACES his SATs and nails his WAEC, he has a huge shot especially if he is under 18.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 6:33pm On Feb 10, 2012
norrisman:

he's a really brillaint chap like i said before and give the educational system in Nigeria,his potentials might not be fully exploited and this bears the need to school abroad
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 6:36pm On Feb 10, 2012
davidylan:

there are.

@ slimyem, if your nephew ACES his SATs and nails his WAEC, he has a huge shot especially if he is under 18.
he is actually 16 and i absolutely trust him with exams.he's been on scholarship all thru secondary school!
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 6:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
heroes1983:

its okay if he doesnt get a Full scholarshiphis parents should be able to afford a sizeable chunk of the fees!
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
Chinyxboy:

That is true @Norrisman. These exams are for internationaL Scholarship Programs. You will need a considerable score in these exams if you are going to be considered for a Scholarship. The Scholarship Provider will communicate to the general public on the type of exam that is needed and the score required from the Scholarship Apllicant(s).

To get more knowledge and informaion about these exams and to answer your question on 'How to get a Scholarship?', i will like you to visit: www.nigeriascholar.com . Hope this helps?
thanks!
Will check out the link.
@all,thanks but i'd still appreciate info on how to get form and credible coaching classes in lagos.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2012
slimyem:

he is actually 16 and i absolutely trust him with exams.he's been on scholarship all thru secondary school!

He should try it out, my brother was the same.
I would say he should apply to not fewer than 5 schools - 2 top class (i have seen Princeton give full scholarships to naija-based students with terrific SAT scores), 1 historically black uni (maybe Howard Uni) and 2 mid-level unis. I'm sure he will get something!
for his age, he stands a good chance with the embassy on getting a visa.

heroes1983:

This is a misinformed post and should not be taken seriously.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by alanbolo(m): 8:05pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ davidylan,
Thanks 4 shedding more lights on your contribution from other tread about living on a budget for International students in USA.

Very mis informed post indeed by heroes1983
Information is Power; let’s garner it for our advantages.

I have nieces and nephew who are studying here in the states with Scholarship through the US embassy both from Lagos and Abuja offices. Go to their educational dept, they offer free lectures as well, believed on Tues. nd Thurs.  USA-Aid
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by shags(m): 9:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
Sat wif high score you get scholarship
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
alanbolo:

@ davidylan,
Thanks 4 shedding more lights on your contribution from other tread about living on a budget for International students in USA.

Very mis informed post indeed by heroes1983
Information is Power; let’s garner it for our advantages.

I have nieces and nephew who are studying here in the states with Scholarship through the US embassy both from Lagos and Abuja offices. Go to their educational dept, they offer free lectures as well, believed on Tues. nd Thurs.  USA-Aid
thanks!
Will check this out!
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by PresidKing(m): 10:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
am interested
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by 2sexy(m): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2012
I have to say a BIG thank you for taken into consideration the future of your nephew . . . You are a nice aunt and I must say that he is very lucky to have an aunt like you; not so many kids have someone like you.

Do the best you can do for him and I tell you, you shall reap the fruit in the future.

And who is this man saying BELIEve in NIgeria? Man, there is nothing good about this country. So many talents are being killed every seconds just because there are no basic infrastructure that could have been used to incubate sterling ideas.

I for one keep having the feeling that if had been in a country like the USA, I could have been very outstanding in my academics and carrier. A lot of people in most of this developed countries do not even know the benefit of what they have. Just imagine a girl( an American) in the US who is less than 15 years of age , only come on facebook talk about love, boyfriend and all that.

So many innovation have been buried in intellectual abyss. I know of a guy who was building an helicopter in my school but the guy could not complete the project due to lack of funds. A few years ago on AM express, I watch some brilliant display of what some mechanical engineering student did with their hands; they built an hovercraft. Another guy in my school, invented a device that could be used to track and lock a stolen vehicle any where it is in a not too far way country from Nigeria and he forwarded his application to an association of inventors in the US. They thought someone had designed such before and after a thorough check, there was nothing like that in history. He was invited for an exhibition in the US but he could not go because of funds, as he would have to pay for his flight, feeding and hotel fees during his stay there.

There are thousand of this intellectual mishap going on every day in this joke of a country called Nigeria. I, who never wanted to leave the country, have started having a rethink. After my H.N.D, I will make some money and after a year or two, I will leave for Canada to do my PGD and hopefully stay there not to return.

At one point in my secondary school days, I used to be a voracious reader and as I grew up, I started losing steam just because of the economy I find myself. No thanks to the death of my sole provider--my mother.
But I thank God that I got my groove back and I am now acquiring books that could help me in my carrier.

Slimyem, do whatever you have to do for the kid. save that POTENTIAL!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Nobody: 1:05am On Feb 11, 2012
2sexy:

I have to say a BIG thank you for taken into consideration the future of your nephew . . . You are a nice aunt and I must say that he is very lucky to have an aunt like you; not so many kids have someone like you.

Do the best you can do for him and I tell you, you shall reap the fruit in the future.

And who is this man saying BELIEve in NIgeria? Man, there is nothing good about this country. So many talents are being killed every seconds just because there are no basic infrastructure that could have been used to incubate sterling ideas.

I for one keep having the feeling that if had been in a country like the USA, I could have been very outstanding in my academics and carrier. A lot of people in most of this developed countries do not even know the benefit of what they have. Just imagine a girl( an American) in the US who is less than 15 years of age , only come on facebook talk about love, boyfriend and all that.

So many innovation have been buried in intellectual abyss. I know of a guy who was building an helicopter in my school but the guy could not complete the project due to lack of funds. A few years ago on AM express, I watch some brilliant display of what some mechanical engineering student did with their hands; they built an hovercraft. Another guy in my school, invented a device that could be used to track and lock a stolen vehicle any where it is in a not too far way country from Nigeria and he forwarded his application to an association of inventors in the US. They thought someone had designed such before and after a thorough check, there was nothing like that in history. He was invited for an exhibition in the US but he could not go because of funds, as he would have to pay for his flight, feeding and hotel fees during his stay there.

There are thousand of this intellectual mishap going on every day in this joke of a country called Nigeria. I, who never wanted to leave the country, have started having a rethink. After my H.N.D, I will make some money and after a year or two, I will leave for Canada to do my PGD and hopefully stay there not to return.

At one point in my secondary school days, I used to be a voracious reader and as I grew up, I started losing steam just because of the economy I find myself. No thanks to the death of my sole provider--my mother.
But I thank God that I got my groove back and I am now acquiring books that could help me in my carrier.

Slimyem, do whatever you have to do for the kid. save that POTENTIAL!

lol i tire for am.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by infolpf: 3:02am On Feb 11, 2012
hey Slimyem! It is certainly possible to get a scholarship in the US as a foreign student, mostly merit based or sometimes through sports. A good candidate however, is one who not only excels at his exams, but is well rounded, writes a darned good application essay, and appeals to the admissions committee. Has he volunteered at charitable organizations? Does he have a hardship he overcame in spite of the odds? Point is, it helps to have something that sets you apart from the thousands of applications that they have to sieve through. One trick - it usually helps to pay a visit to the school of choice, and talk directly with an admissions officer or President. You immediately set yourself apart from the crowd!

How do I know all this? I was such a person, about 19 years ago. I knew exactly what I wanted to study, applied to the school in Chicago, hand delivered my application (my application fees were even waived ;o)) and DARED to ask for a chat with the Dean. I was ushered into his office about 30 minutes later, chatted for about 10 minutes and left. I got my letter of admission before I left Chicago a few weeks later, and an offer of partial tuition! God is awesome.

There are organizations in Nigeria established to offer information to folks like you. Try the US Student Achievement Program (USAP) in Lagos. I believe they have just moved offices to the US Embassy building at Eleke Crescent, VI. Take a look at their website and try to schedule an appointment.

http://www.usapglobal.org/about.htm

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by slimyem: 7:43am On Feb 11, 2012
@2sexy and davidylan,i appreciate your imputs.you've been really helpful.
Info@lpf,your option of applying in person is almost impossible for him if you know what i mean.
However,those tips would you gave up there wont be waived.thanks!
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by 2sexy(m): 10:37am On Feb 11, 2012
slimyem:

Info@lpf,your option of applying in person is almost impossible for him if you know what i mean.

You are welcome. . . In case most of the people here do not know, American medical/health sector would almost collapse if Nigerians there decided to leave. That is because they make most of that sector.
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by jabe4u(m): 6:43am On Feb 12, 2012
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 12, 2012
LOL, Wait till after the WAEC exam, If he gets (A) Parallel then He has a good chance of getting scholarships!. grin
Re: How Do I Get A Scholarship? by infolpf: 8:37pm On Feb 12, 2012
slimyem:

Never say impossible. At the point of my application, I was not resident in the US. I was simply there on a 4 week vacation, after my exams. I went to the US Consulate, applied and was granted a visitors visa. I know a lot a people are turned down for visas everyday, and I do not mean to understate the difficulty others have faced. The reality is however, visas are granted everyday also.

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB 2018 Exam Slip | How To Enable Pop-up On JAMB Website On Chrome Or Firefox / ASUU STRIKE:- Outcome Of Todays Meeting / Pgd Universities Or Colleges In Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.