Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? (15662 Views)

Top 20 Most Stylish Nigerian Celebrities In 2015 [PICS] / Nigerian Celebrities In South Africa For AMAA 2015 (pics) / List Of Nigerian Celebrities In Illuminati? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by djeezy(m): 3:47pm On May 14, 2012
Okija_juju: The reason are as follows;

1. Nollywood does not make childrens movies.

2. Nollywood never casts any child in a leading role in any of their movies.

3. No film schools so it is hard to train a kid to fit into a movie role.

4. No movie premiers, so kids are not seen on red carpets.

5. Even when a kid is given a lead role, they act for like 10mins of the film and the next thin you see is "20 years later" and voila that kid is now Ramsey Noah or Ini Edo.
Yeah, you're on point. You nailed it...
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by insure1: 3:59pm On May 14, 2012
Script writers share part of d blames too. Nollyhood or wateva d name is, SUCKS!

Mediocrity at best, without regard for d screens as arts. Its just money cos they know nigerians are waiting to buy off anything dat has desmond elliot or ramsey noah as 'sweet'.

"Ah! D fim sweet well well, ramsey noah dey dia na. Na desmond be d bad guy for d fim"

Much regards to Tade Ogidan, I sooo love dat guy
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by WhoIGoAsk: 4:01pm On May 14, 2012
because of the emphasis on university education. Parents don't allows kid to fully explore and develop their natural talents
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Onyenna(m): 4:10pm On May 14, 2012
vinderbilt: first off, acting is hard especially for children. afterall even our grown up actors aren't that good!

You are wrong..... Children can act very well if you guide them........ Those our grown up actors that you are referring to, are the ones that "know somebody wey know somebody"...lol....
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Onyenna(m): 4:23pm On May 14, 2012
@op
Would you allow your 5yr old kid to forget his/her education and enter entertainment world?......
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Catchfire1: 4:29pm On May 14, 2012
We have [size=18pt]WIZKID[/size]!!!!!! and [size=18pt]WIZBOY[/size]!!!!!!!! grin cool
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by yuzedo: 4:33pm On May 14, 2012
Nasri100: Yeah ramsey noah played as an 11 year old boy in one movie like dah #justsaying
Kai!!! i almost Poo myself! grin grin grin
Anyway, isn't Tonto Dike a teenager because she surely acts like one! undecided
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by vanstanzy(m): 4:35pm On May 14, 2012
Onyenna: @op
Would you allow your 5yr old kid to forget his/her education and enter entertainment world?......
@Onyenna
With the right guidance, ur talented child can combine education n acting and become a great hit.
But ofcourse, a large percentage of hollywood child actors/actresses still attend schools and make good grades.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 14, 2012
Callotti: Because they can't do 'runs' with producers behind closed doors.
Moreover. . . acting is for drop-outs in Nigeria.
Every parent wants his or her child to be a 'doctor' or a 'lawyer'! kiss
How many Nollywood artistes have retired with huge pension packages?
NONE!

If you can't 'hooker' or 'pi-mp' yourself homosexually or bisexually in Nollywood. . . .forgggeditt!

Nollywood is not HOLLYWOOD!

THIS IS NIGERIA. . .Wake up! kiss
Correct.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Juliet14: 5:37pm On May 14, 2012

5. Even when a kid is given a lead role, they act for like 10mins of the film and the next thin you see is "20 years later" and voila that kid is now Ramsey Noah or Ini Edo.
True enough
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by KokoBeware: 5:51pm On May 14, 2012
Because parents believe its only -Engineers, Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers and the rest that are profitable occupations,and that to be successful u must go through the long school process..

Also Nollywood doesnt help at all... i wonder where they pick some of the dumb children they use to act, when infact there are very bright and sharp children out there..
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Ibangap(m): 6:00pm On May 14, 2012
What d f.uck's a celebrity
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by lepasharon(f): 6:30pm On May 14, 2012
What about sharon ezeamaka?
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by queensmith: 6:39pm On May 14, 2012
Are you talking about the film or the music industry? I think we have enough teeny boppers singing? How old is whisky and davido?. . . . . ahhh theyre not teenagers are they? I thought they might have growth problems! grin grin grin grin

Tis probably the casting directors with poor vision. casting has never been a strong suit of Nigerian movies, they just prefer to use people that are popular.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by StaceyBanks(m): 6:51pm On May 14, 2012
SIMPLE.....

Because they are no scouts and mentors around to guide them to and through stardom.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by bright007(f): 6:59pm On May 14, 2012

very correct!
I once watched å nigerian movie where d first scene was d birth of å child.in d next scene,they wrote 5 years later and I another child actor playing with friends,in d next scene,it was 30 years later and guess who I saw:Alex Usifo.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by gaddafe(m): 7:04pm On May 14, 2012
timmy1999: It worries me a lot cos way back in 90's u see child actor..av been thinking why they don't av child actor in nollyhood instead are those little men called aki and powpw playing the roles of kids in movie..
Anytin anyday yoruba films are still the best in terms of picture quality sound and lightening..you will see kids actor been represented alway..
Nollyhood is shit compared to yoruba films

I have to agree with everything you just said. its so correct. Even though i don't understand yoruba well, the producers are really trying
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 14, 2012
timmy1999: It worries me a lot cos way back in 90's u see child actor..av been thinking why they don't av child actor in nollyhood instead are those little men called aki and powpw playing the roles of kids in movie..
Anytin anyday yoruba films are still the best in terms of picture quality sound and lightening..you will see kids actor been represented alway..
Nollyhood is shit compared to yoruba films

very true
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 14, 2012

on point! can't agree more
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 14, 2012
good news: we have wizkid cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 14, 2012
Wizkid is in Nollywood? lol
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 14, 2012
If there is Anyone that is eager to be a teenage star in Nollywood,its М̣̣̥̇Ε̲̣̣̣̥. I ђλ√ǝ always wonder the nollywood partiality among teens and adults in nigeria, it pains М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ to see ♍Ɣ talented self wasting cos of lack of opportunity. Sme1 mentioned earlier that kids n teens cant act the romantic n blah blah roles dat s y producers dont use them.but I beliv there are stories that can be written specially for them like- Adventures,fun,games,dance n musicals,competitions etc ω¡τђ an high school settings.As I write, I ve lots of scripts based on dat on ♍Ɣ desk but producers are pessimistic to put М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ into consideration.Naija kids n teens can do it,yes dey can!
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by kunlefox(m): 8:56pm On May 14, 2012
This is down to many factors like...
A)There are less roles written for kids or the so called teenagers
B)lazy casting: Even if characters and plots are written for kids,a typical 9ja director would rather pick his friends' kid for the role..9ja don't do casting call,i remember pretty well that thousands of kids audition for the lead role in "home alone"..
C)parenting factor: even if there are casting calls,how many 9ja parents would support their kids to pursue acting as such age..
Personally,i would support a kid's acting career tho education should be the main priority...
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by MrAnony1(m): 9:53pm On May 14, 2012
I don't know about nollywood but I know that there a lots of child and teenage actors in Nigerian tv soaps. wonder why they don't make it to the home video scene though.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by chidike(m): 9:59pm On May 14, 2012
Babzilla:

I still think Ur mother was right.
She was right as per education being important of course; i'm a uni graduate today with good results, good job propsect too. But you know wat? Music is still my passion and if i had been exposed earlier, i'm pretty sure i' D̶̲̥̅̊ have gone farther than where i am today. #justsaying

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by jmoore(m): 10:35pm On May 14, 2012
Because there is hardly any movie script where children play a major role
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by DECOtech(m): 11:34pm On May 14, 2012
pro01: So what would you call Aki and Paw Paw? Or are they not celebrated enough?
Whats in ur head? Do you call those two -children?
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Danigmatic(m): 11:41pm On May 14, 2012
Sagamite: Good!

What is celebrity?

Why would you want kids to be celebrity?

Our youth should focus on more productive things until they come of age and the culture should reflect this outcome.
is acting not a productive venture?
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by GODSLOVE2(f): 12:03am On May 15, 2012
We hav alot,its just dat we dnt just care much abt them,we have one in Dear mother,we have in Family ties,we have teenegers and youth.
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Nobody: 2:13am On May 15, 2012
Because even the adults ain't talented talk of children/teens. cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Have Children And Teenage Celebrities In Nollywood? by Godogwu: 3:08am On May 15, 2012
I see it as not only a Nigerian problem but an African Norm. Almost all Nigerian parents want their children to be either engineers, doctors, lawyers etc. as they see educating their children as form of investment with which they can reap from when they are probably retired. Metaphorically speaking; one of the thousand Nigerian ways to die is telling your parents you want to become an actor or an artiste(musician). Most people who get into music and acting in Nigeria have either failed in the academic sector or first achieved an academic status before embarking on the entertainment venture or are multitasking the both of them. Its also the same in sports, i find it appalling that most federal Universities in Nigeria don't have gymnasiums except the few private ones also including high schools. In most of the western countries athletic scholarships are given to most athletic students who stand out in the sport they do. Well back to the entertainment industry, you can imagine that people like zac efron, taylor lautner, Miley cyrus, Selena gomez etc earn from $30,000-$45,000 per episode of their shows and the ones who play minor roles earn nothing less than $10,000 or Jaden Smith who made over $2 million for his role in "Karate Kid". First of all i believe the whole Nigerian movie industry (Nollywood) should be reformed and most small companies producing very low budgect movies should merge with the much larger ones and form big conglomerates;(there shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 movie industries) and there should be a specific amount of capital required to establish a movie industry by the Nigerian Film Board at least $1 million, this would thereby create greater budgeted movies and improve the general quality of Nigerian movies, then children and teenagers can be introduced to the system. I'm sure if Nigerian parents see the big bucks involved in the movie industry then, they will be less strict on their children joining the industry..... some will even take their kids to audition.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Battle Of The Boobs! Meet Cossy Top 3 Challengers (pics) / Baseline Star Skales All Swagged Up In New Photos / Bisi Ibidapo-Obe Shows Off Her Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.