Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar (18581 Views)

Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... / 15 Grammar Mistakes You Probably Repeat Daily / Is Munificient The Best Grammarian On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Basics007: 5:15am On Feb 13, 2012
And i haven't noticed all these before. Maybe i need to watch more closely next time. But i've a certain amount respect to any footballer who can speak English fluently. I'm not bothered about the diction or intonation. These guys leave formal education as teenagers to pursue their dreams. They retire in their late 30s(or 40s in Naija's case)without receiving any education in the meantime. Moreover Ikpeba never played in an English speakin country except Sudan and Nigeria throughout his career. So i think he's done well for himself with the little he's speaking now
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by MEGAWATCH: 5:40am On Feb 13, 2012
All of you wey de talk dis rubbish,na envy de kill una. Stupid people wey no get work de disturb person wey de work.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Nobody: 6:06am On Feb 13, 2012
@megawatch
It is because of dolts like u dt Nigeria is in quagmire. To whom much is given much is expected. If the young man is being paid well 2 educate us in all things football then he should be professional & do his homework well. Obviously u can't spot the difference cos y'all birds of a feather.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by sylve11: 7:41am On Feb 13, 2012
people get work sha. . .the guy get currency pass all the english prof of nairaland. cool
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by ekwynwa: 8:42am On Feb 13, 2012
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 13, 2012
Grammatical Bruhoho cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by eghost247(m): 9:19am On Feb 13, 2012
;d ;d
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by tjadeba(m): 9:49am On Feb 13, 2012
Bobbysworld28:

@megawatch
It is because of dolts like u dt Nigeria is in quagmire. To whom much is given much is expected. If the young man is being paid well 2 educate us in all things football then he should be professional & do his homework well. Obviously u can't spot the difference cos y'all birds of a feather.

No sir! they are not paying him to teach us Ingrish, they are paying him to analyse the nitty gritty of football to us, Abeg Nigerians should not let Super Sports think twice about this guy's contract with them o.Maybe Ikpeba doesnt really need the money from there,but it is good that he is still relevant in the world of soccer.
Be that as it may,i enjoy the comedy relief about his grammar.i don laugh my heart out
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Xfactoria: 10:36am On Feb 13, 2012
tjadeba:

No sir! they are not paying him to teach us Ingrish, they are paying him to analyse the nitty gritty of football to us, Abeg Nigerians should not let Super Sports think twice about this guy's contract with them o.Maybe Ikpeba doesnt really need the money from there,but it is good that he is still relevant in the world of soccer.
Be that as it may,i enjoy the comedy relief about his grammar.i don laugh my heart out

Please, stop this display of ignorance!!! Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. Yes, people can make mistakes speaking a language that is not their mother-tongue but not some silly foundational mistakes like "not being able to contruct proper sentence". Habaaa!!!!

The most annoying thing is that Victor Ikpeba was a YabaTech student (ND 1 or 2) when he represented Nigeria at the Scotland 1989 FIFA U-17 world cup after which he took to professional football. That means he completed secondary school and for God's sake, how can somebody who went through secondary school in the 80s and probably passed SSCE (seeing that he was admitted into a polytechnic with a result if he didn't cheat) speak that badly?? Prophet Obadare, Prophet S. K. Abiara all started speaking English in their late 50s (not sure they had prior formal education). They made efforts to learn it when the need for them to be able to communicate in English arouse.

By pronouncing penalty as penaiity, Victor Ikpeba sure has a fundamental problem. How could he not have come by the correct spelling and pronunciation while reading books The guy should spend his money to add value to himself. He is a big shame!!!!
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by papaejima2: 11:50am On Feb 13, 2012
It is true that English is not our mother tongue but it is our official lingua franca. Victor is rich, no doubt and a relatively good analyst but there are jobs that need a relatively good command of the language to do it effectively. Football analysis/presentation is one of them, another is preaching. You must have noticed how preachers (e.g. TB Joshua) go the extra length to improve on their english. Your job is to convince people and you can hardly do it well if the people you are talking to are put off by your poor grammar. I know that every pastor that has gone through a bible school knows the importance of a good command of the language you will preach in.

As for football analysis, the job of the analyst is to give a proper analysis (review and preview) of the match for the benefit of the viewer. He is there because of the viewer and serves the interest of the viewer and is supposedly paid with the viewers' subscription. I have lately been changing the channel during half-time when Victor is on set to avoid listening to his virtual murder of the english language. In that case, has he served my interest? While not claiming to be an expert in English language and not disputing the fact that you do not have to be a "grammarian" to be rich, let us understand that the job he is doing needs a better command of the language. It should be a basic prerequisite for one to do the job effectively. He is being criticised because of the job he is doing which needs a better command of the language. If he was not a football analyst or a public speaker, no one will coma and say Ikepba does not know how to speak English. I think Supersports should spare the guy all the embarrassment and do the proper thing.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by isleman(m): 11:59am On Feb 13, 2012
i thought i was the only observing his reckless English. come to think of it, someone of his caliber should tune his English. he is wealthy enough to re-educate himself. we've seen illiterate fuji musicians re-educate themselves and become better speaker in public with English. ikpeba is better off and has no excuse. hos pronunciations are sooooooooooooooo bad.

he should pair up with dame Jonathan.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by abhosts(m): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2012
Victor Ikpeba is on SupersSports as a Pundit and not a Presenter. As long as the audience understand his analysis, then he is doing a good job.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by isleman(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2012
did anybody note Benny McCarthy was a little poor at English construction yesterday on super sports?
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Olalekan0(m): 12:51pm On Feb 13, 2012
YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP MAKING A MEAL OF EVERYTHING,NOSA SPEAKS FAIRLY GOOD ENGLISH. THE ONLY FLAWS ARE HIS PRONOUNCIATIONS. AS A MATTER OF FACT,I CHALLENGE ANYONE GIVE AN INSTANCE OF WHERE tHE MAN'S COMMITTED GRAMMARTICAL BLUNDER ASIDE HIS POOR PRONOUNCIATIONS.
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Myself2(m): 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2012
showbobo:

shelsee(chelsea)
sheesharito(chicharito)
penaiity(penalty)
fawo(foul)
and he once said"I dont know why John Terry was just standing there like a Yellow Fever" grin

shocked shocked shocked

grin grin grin
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Myself2(m): 1:11pm On Feb 13, 2012
bawss:

I remember having to mute the volume in embarrassment after hearing Ikpeba score some reckless own-goals with his grammar during half time analysis.
He kept saying "the player slided" instead of slid repeated.

I think Amokachi is a much better speaker.

Amokachi that once said "Dont forget that it rained and the pitch is a wetty pitch"

Mtchew

He shades Ikpeba a mite though ,just a mite,in that department
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Myself2(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
He's comical,he'll make some chedda if he packages somefin grammatical in DVD
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Myself2(m): 1:24pm On Feb 13, 2012
Olalekan 0:

YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP MAKING A MEAL OF EVERYTHING,NOSA SPEAKS FAIRLY GOOD ENGLISH. THE ONLY FLAWS ARE HIS PRONOUNCIATIONS. AS A MATTER OF FACT,I CHALLENGE ANYONE GIVE AN INSTANCE OF WHERE tHE MAN'S COMMITTED GRAMMARTICAL BLUNDER ASIDE HIS POOR PRONOUNCIATIONS.

It's Pronunciation and Grammatical

You wouldn't know a grammatical blunder even if it was staring you in the face
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by IYANGBALI: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2012
Ijogz K:

@ least he is more popular dan all of una
the more reason he should speak good grammar more popular my foot
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by thameamead(f): 2:16pm On Feb 13, 2012
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by macob(m): 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2012
do u know dat Ikpeba speaks better dan goodluck himself, yet he claim to be a lecturer. i dnt want to mention our dear Pacience. lol
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by 9jaman007: 3:30pm On Feb 13, 2012
Some words u can find in his dictionary:

Penayity (penalty)

Stwaiker (striker)

Sharss. (Charles)

Shakayita ( chicharito)
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by gabriel88(m): 4:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
The English nah LEGBUKE,
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Baawaa(m): 4:47pm On Feb 13, 2012
Idea is wat we need
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by europe76(m): 6:02pm On Feb 13, 2012
To all of u that are making mockery of victor ikpeba because of his poor grammer are fooools! When will Nigerians be wise? for how long will u people be brainwash with western ideaology? Hav any of u been to western europe? They value their language more than anyother language. Even the laptop they use was in their own language. Is only in Nigeria that people laugh at u because of poor grammer. I dont blame Boko boys that says that western education is a sin because this westerners has made us to neglect our cultures, Nigerians please wake up!
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by kaxqua(m): 12:27am On Feb 14, 2012
I dont mind him saying rubbish as long as he gives a good analysis of the football and fact is, both ikpeba and most especially Amokachi dont know how analyse a football game, Most especially Amokachi (very arrogant dude). Prefer the skysports analysis or the superssports SA analysis of games. I shake my head sometimes when I hear them analyse a ffootball game

I ask myself if this people actually played football b4
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by KayDee4: 12:31am On Feb 14, 2012
kaxqua:

I dont mind him saying rubbish as long as he gives a good analysis of the football and fact is, both ikpeba and most especially Amokachi dont know how analyse a football game, Most especially Amokachi (very arrogant dude). Prefer the skysports analysis or the superssports SA analysis of games. I shake my head sometimes when I hear them analyse a ffootball game

I ask myself if this people actually played football b4

Did you hear Stephen Keshi (the current Super Eagles Coach) analyse football games during the last World Cup ? undecided undecided
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Rotella77: 7:56am On Feb 14, 2012
English is not our language and i wonder why some jobless rogues keep on looking for people's mistakes. whether he speaks good or bad english, he is rich you can carry on with your good english in poverty, sick asses
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by joeace2020(m): 9:18am On Feb 14, 2012
why do you people always hamper on the Edo thing as if edo people r illiterates, useless bas taRd@op
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by joeace2020(m): 9:21am On Feb 14, 2012
macob:

do u know dat Ikpeba speaks better dan goodluck himself, yet he claim to be a lecturer. i dnt want to mention our dear Pacience. lol

you cant even spell patience and you r talkn because others are talking,
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by Kentus(f): 10:37am On Feb 14, 2012
English is obviously not the guy's first language. But how's that a problem?

Good English doesn't equal common sense. And trust me, the guy makes sense when he does his foreign accent-free analysis. Which for me means that he's comfortable with who he is.

Many people on NL write worse English than Ikpeba speaks. Dem dey sharp their mouth now becos we no dey see face for here.

If you trust yourself, go siddon hot-seat for TV naim you go know sey khaki no be leather.

Appreciate the guy for who he is jare!
Re: Victor Ikpeba's Top Grammarian Grammar by akpanbaba: 11:05am On Feb 14, 2012
He attended the same school with Mama.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NSE Opens 2016 Essay Competition To Promote Financial Literacy / OAU HOD Flogs Students In Dramatic Arts / ASUU-NEC To Debate Strike Resumption On Monday, November 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.